Author Topic: Iron Siege Q&A  (Read 37490 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Siege Q&A
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »
Fiend of Possession: animate the level of the plane, since it is a colossal object and find Dispater that way
While it is a simply a part of the plane of existence called Hell, I cannot see anyway it could be controlled by this ability. None of the examples given in the description come close to that and the plane is not only colossal, it is infinite.

But a colossal object is anything larger than x feet, which the layer is.

Am I right?

Yes, I agree it is ridiculous, but by raw works.
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
  • Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2012, 09:36:48 PM »
Kaorti: i wasn't looking into that option of the race, more just the fact that it is a far realm creature

I don't understand.

Fiend of Possession: animate the level of the plane, since it is a colossal object and find Dispater that way

Not so fast. There is Colossal +, Colossal ++, etc. and then there is the Macro level. So you can't possess the Plane. It would, I believe, fall under Macro Small.

Also, I don't believe planes are objects by RAW.
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2012, 11:57:15 PM »
http://i.word.com/idictionary/object

See 1a

The plane is something that can be seen with the senses.

Larger than gargantuan, it is colossal (not colossal+ since that is only a virtual size)

Where is the text for colossal++ and larger?
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2012, 07:29:09 AM »
http://i.word.com/idictionary/object

See 1a

The plane is something that can be seen with the senses.

Larger than gargantuan, it is colossal (not colossal+ since that is only a virtual size)

Where is the text for colossal++ and larger?
Dictionary has nothing to do with the rules. Read the examples given in the ability. Also, I think the rules for Colossal+ and whatnot are outdated.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Dreamweaver

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2012, 12:12:42 PM »
I believe, if I'm not mistaken, the description/definition of Colossal+ was first described in the 3.0 Epic Handbook.

The summary of it was: anything LARGER than Colossal falls into the Colossal+ catagory.

Of course, that is quite broad, with the understanding that things larger than Colossal could be almost any huge size, and then knowing the EXACT size was unnecessary for such things (hence Force and Prismatic dragons of Colossal+ size could be anything greater than the normal Colossal sized dragons).

Unless updated, I believe this definition of the "new" size catagory still stands.  So a plane of existence, however large, could fall under the Colossal+ size catagory, as the catagory has no upper bound.

Now, whether a plane of existence is an object, not so sure of that.  There are things that can manipulate planes and planar traits, but I can't think of one that can do that AND affect objects in a similar fashion, given the descriptions.

If one could find a power/spell/etc... that describes manipulation of objects and planes without specifically saying something like "...this ability can, like its affects on objects, affect planes of existence in the same way.", then I would think that you could use a comparison between its wording and the wording of the power you are attempting to use (or the Iron Siege master could do it to come to a conclusion on a ruling for it).

Game on!  I'm waiting to read about the next hopeful to face off against the Iron Lord!   :D

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2012, 11:33:01 PM »
The examples in noncontinuous object, are not restrictions. As is all other examples.

Colossal+ only talks about advanced and/or epic dragons specifically in the text, doesn't say it counts towards other things (and yes, it does not say it does NOT apply to other things either)

Colossal in SRD is 64 feet+ and/or 125 tons+
Edit: Colossal+ has no dimensions listed, either way, Colossal's stand

The only thing I see stopping it is.... most be an object on the Material Plane.

And yes, this is a ridiculous idea, should I move this to another thread?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:44:13 PM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Daniel

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2012, 12:07:31 PM »
A note about Illithid Savant's Acquire Special Ability "The chosen ability must not rely on a physical feature of the consumed creature, such as a gaze attack, a breath weapon, flight, or a natural attack with an appendage not possessed by the mind flayer." This means that a huge number of abilities are unavailable. For example, a chronotyryn is able to have the dual actions ability because it "has two distinct brains and two separate voice boxes".
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:09:57 PM by Daniel »

Offline Imaginos

• Lurker
  • Cthulhu Ftaghn
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2012, 02:46:52 AM »
Hey TravelLog & Tshern,

I have a contender in the mid stages of development, figured now would be as good a time as any to run the basic concept past you and try to get your OK with a few somewhat murky elements of the build. The central contender is a DR18 deity from the Far Realm. I put my focus on using creature and divine abilities rather than stuff that is available to normal PCs, if this generally puts it outside of what you have in mind for the challenge please let me know.

How do you feel about:
(click to show/hide)

Anyhoo, been following the Iron Siege for ages, was psyched to see it come back. Cheers!
-Imaginos
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:50:14 AM by Imaginos »
<Insert Text Here>

Offline Daniel

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2012, 12:28:59 PM »
Can Supernatural Spells from the Dweomerkeeper class be dispelled/disjoined as normal?
Supernatural abilities cannot be dispelled/disjoined however a Wish/Reality Revision/Alter Reality could probably get rid of them. I suggest just using normal spells with an Esoteric Aegis since that provides complete protection against dispelling provided you have CL=yes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:34:24 PM by Daniel »

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2012, 01:00:19 PM »
Hey TravelLog & Tshern,

I have a contender in the mid stages of development, figured now would be as good a time as any to run the basic concept past you and try to get your OK with a few somewhat murky elements of the build. The central contender is a DR18 deity from the Far Realm. I put my focus on using creature and divine abilities rather than stuff that is available to normal PCs, if this generally puts it outside of what you have in mind for the challenge please let me know.

How do you feel about:
(click to show/hide)

Anyhoo, been following the Iron Siege for ages, was psyched to see it come back. Cheers!
-Imaginos
I am not running this, so my opinion is rather useless. However, why do you aim to have the high base damage of a Uvuudaum? It is not all that useful at that level, because damage is really easy to stack...
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2012, 11:16:06 AM »
Hey TravelLog & Tshern,

How do you feel about:
(click to show/hide)

-Imaginos

I have no theoretical objection to #1-5. If things change during building we may have to reassess, but as described it seems acceptable.

6: no, yes, yes, not by RAW iirc but try to keep it reasonable
7: Yes

I'm on my phone so I'll get back to you regarding #8.  As for #9, I'll consider it.
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »
By the way, the Multispell limit was based on ranks in the relevant Knowledge skill, so arcana or divine.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2012, 05:38:14 PM »
  • 6c-Can Supernatural Spells from the Dweomerkeeper class be dispelled/disjoined as normal?

I have no theoretical objection to #1-5. If things change during building we may have to reassess, but as described it seems acceptable.

6:yes,

What are you basing this judgement on?
Quote from: DWEOMERKEEPER
...she can use any one spell with a casting time of up to 1 standard
action as a supernatural ability....The spell functions as it normally
would and is expended normally...just as if she were using a supernatural
ability instead of a spell.
Quote from: Supernatural Abilities (Su)
...go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic.
Are you interpreting the spell functions normally to treat is as a (Sp) effect after is was cast, instead of treating it as a (Su) effect? I wouldn't agree with that interpretation though.

Still waiting response about  a psionic version of ELDRITCH KNOWLEDGE and SUPREME ELDRITCH KNOWLEDGE.

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2012, 01:58:04 AM »

What are you basing this judgement on?
Quote from: DWEOMERKEEPER
...she can use any one spell with a casting time of up to 1 standard
action as a supernatural ability....The spell functions as it normally
would and is expended normally...just as if she were using a supernatural
ability instead of a spell.
Quote from: Supernatural Abilities (Su)
...go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic.
Are you interpreting the spell functions normally to treat is as a (Sp) effect after is was cast, instead of treating it as a (Su) effect? I wouldn't agree with that interpretation though.

Still waiting response about  a psionic version of ELDRITCH KNOWLEDGE and SUPREME ELDRITCH KNOWLEDGE.
1: That had been my interpretation. I am open to alternate explanations though.
2: Both are acceptable. Apologies. As mentioned in the other thread, I was experiencing RL difficulties.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Daniel

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2012, 02:09:53 AM »
I would like to get this epic spell approved. I would also like to know if I could use the Worldly Focus feat from Faiths of Eberron (cast without a divine focus).

Epic Metafaculty
(click to show/hide)

Offline Imaginos

• Lurker
  • Cthulhu Ftaghn
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2012, 10:02:20 PM »
Daniel, I like the cut of your jib - I was going to ask about Worldly Focus too. Nice Savant build, by the way - I'd recommend checking out the glitterhaunt's Earth Glide (ex) too, unless you figure it is a gross physical capability.

RE: Tshern
I ask about the Uuvudaum's melee attack mostly because I get it essentially for free - it doesn't cost one of the four Protean (ex) 'slots'. If I grow to colossal size, I could go for a Devastation Beetle's 25d10 bite instead. Knowing full well that getting into melee range is the hard part, that's still not a bad chunk of damage at zero cost of feats, class levels or DSAs I wasn't going to take anyway.

To TravelLog: I have a couple of unique ability requests too:

Atemporeality
Summary:
-Spell stowaway: Time Stop, range extended to ten miles, also triggers when time-stopped creature enters ten mile radius.
-Maximum 100 total subjective rounds per casting, no more than normal duration+1round per effect.
-Tenacious effect
-Immune to Temporal Stasis, ability to interact with creatures under Temporal Stasis
(click to show/hide)

Ooze Qualities
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:44:59 PM by Imaginos »
<Insert Text Here>

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2012, 11:35:39 PM »
I am not to be asked anything. What I do is consultation only, I have no legislative power. The damage can, however, be duplicated very easily.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2012, 11:36:22 AM »
Epic Metafaculty is fine. Can I get the text for Worldly Focus?

Ooze qualities is fine. No Atemporiality.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Daniel

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2012, 03:09:13 PM »
Worldly Focus: http://dndtools.eu/feats/faiths-of-eberron--8/worldly-focus--3170/

Does anyone know any other way to cast spells without using a focus (aside from getting them as SLAs)?

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2012, 08:11:08 PM »
How are the rules regarding divine proxies? The ruling so far has been that the deity can make proxies if he wants without counting the DvR of each proxy against the limit of 18 divine ranks. As in, a party of four could be made of a DvR 18 deity and three proxies all of whom have DvR one for being proxies. At the moment I am sitting on the fence about using proxies, because there is a slight problem with them that might cause my attempt to implode, but I am still considering it and hoping TravelLog won't discern that one weakness.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys