Author Topic: Finally getting to play, need advice on possible builds  (Read 2537 times)

Offline micka190

• Lurker
  • Enthusiastic Limb Collector
    • View Profile
Finally getting to play, need advice on possible builds
« on: November 04, 2015, 05:01:39 PM »
Hi guys. Until now, I've always been my group's DM. Two of my players told me they'd like to DM, so for our next few sessions, I'll be a player in their small-medium adventures. Having never played as a PC before, I discovered something about myself: I'm apparently an optimizer over roleplayer guy. Because I've never been limited by player choices before, making "cool" characters with said limitations is kind of new to me.

Important Information:
- Everything in the PHB (errata'd), DMG, EEPC, and SCG are legal.
- Feats are allowed (so are Human Variants).
- I'm starting at level 5 (which removes most good multiclass options  :shakefist)
- First adventure is politics heavy, second is encounter heavy.
- We'll be level 6 at the end of the first adventure, and we'll end at the 7th level up (so I'm not playing further than level 6)
- Multiclassing is legal.
- We're playing with the optional disarm rule from the DMG.
- Things that are only on the Unearthed Arcana (see Favored Soul Sorcerer) are illegal (except the Warforge race.
- We play with Point Buy using this calculator http://1d8.blogspot.ca/2014/04/point-buy-calculator-for-d-next-5e.html for stats. We allow up stats up to 16 instead of 15.
- We rule for balance instead of for fun. This means things like Goodberry Clerics don't work.
- Warlocks, Clerics, and Paladins are allowed to use the Find Steed spell.
- My character starts with 750 gold, and one uncommon magic item that is reasonable (Bag of Holding is ok, Gauntlets of Ogre Power are not).

Currently, I'm torn between a few builds:

Devilish Lawyer
Tiefling Bard of Lore 3 / Divination Wizard 2 w/ Charlatan or Courtier background. Great for political adventures. You get the two divination dice and Cutting Words to force social interactions to go the way you want them to. Only take wizard utility spells/cantrips and level up Bard for more bonuses/feature uses/no MAD. Using things like Charlatan's forgeries with Mending to fuse seals to forged letters, social out of encounters, etc. Tons of fun as long as I'm creative about it. Will become a problem for the other adventure (I might just retire characters between campaigns to remedy this).

The Duelist
Roleplaying a "famous" duelist that's set his sight on the world and wants to make a bigger name for himself. Swashbuckler Rogue 5, probably taking the Defensive Duelist feat. This one's pretty straight forward. Incredible damage, can stand up for himself, reliable in combat, etc.

The Living Weapon
Warforged Open Palm Monk 5. Strongly considering the Athlete feat since I won't make it to level 9 for that climbing bonus. High mobility, high damage Monk. Can't be unarmed, can't be unarmored, will actively try to disarm opponents and push them away from their weapons with Open Palm's pushing.

The Woodland "Prince"
Forest Gnome Fey Chain Pact Warlock 5. Think's he the prince of the woodlands (feys are weird, ok?) and is out to find a bride to "become his queen". Has a Pseudodragon, mostly uses Eldritch Blast with the Agonizing Blast Invocation. Probably going with the Inheritor background from SCG to have some sort of fey mark on him and let the DMs decide what it does.

What are some interesting or fun builds I can do for a 5th level character that'll eventually get to level 6? Preferably good at social and combat encounters.
"If an Elf rolls a critical miss in the woods, and no one is around to see/hear it, how do we know a Shambling Mound ate him?"

- Sir Brand of Gaile, moments before his untimely death at the hands of a Shambling Mound

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Finally getting to play, need advice on possible builds
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 10:23:35 PM »
This? It offers great RP, still pretty good in combat by 5/6/7, heaps of non-combat, charmy/hexy/stealthy stuff, and the normal kitchen sink that Druids bring. Stat'ed at 27pts on your calc. Could chuck the Warcaster feat on if you don't want +2 charisma at 4th lvl.

Probably about 500g of stuff, mostly just for the dragon scale armour. Magic claws and teeth at lvl 6. Sexy hexy claws.

Has the Hex+E.Blast combo, in case you run out of wildshapes or need ranged combat. Has shillelagh too, for no good reason. Could probably sub something in for that.

The skills/background could use some work. Completely unoptimized. But stealth+PwT is kind of worth it, even without dex to back it (until you wildshape, which backs it). Sneaky Giant Poisonous Snake....... Or horribly charismatic spiders that can stealth climb anywhere. Stealth is worth it, even if it looks crap in "caster" form.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 11:58:45 PM by sambojin »