Author Topic: Ship Captain and Battleships  (Read 6696 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Ship Captain and Battleships
« on: September 13, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »
Ship Captain

"Did You Hear me? We're not taking evasive action! Point the bow towards the enemy flagship!"-Daitetsu Minase, captain of the Hagane

HD:8
Level BAB Fort Ref Will FeatureManeuvers KnownStances Known
1+0 +0+0 +2 Battleship,  Maneuvers, Crew, Leader11
2+1 +0+0 +3 Spirited21
3+1 +1+1 +3 Bonus Feat31
4+2 +1 +1+4 Custom Ship I41
5+2 +1 +1 +4 Spirit42
6+3 +2+2+5 1st Distinguished Officer52
7+3 +2 +2 +5Custom Ship II62
8+4 +2 +2 +6  Spirit72
9+4 +3+3 +6 Bonus Feat82
10+5 +3+3 +7 Custom Ship III92
11+5 +3 +3+7 Spirit93
12+6 +4 +4+8 2nd Distinguished Officer103
13+6 +4 +4 +8 Custom Ship IV113
14+7 +4 +4 +9 Spirit123
15+7 +5 +5 +9 Bonus Feat124
16+8 +5 +5 +10 Custom Ship V134
17+8 +5 +5+10 Spirit144
18+9 +6+6 +11 Bonus Feat154
19 +10 +6 +6 +11 Custom Ship VI164
20+10 +6 +6 +12 Legendary Leader174

4 Skill points+int per level, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills: Balance, Concentration, Climb, Diplomacy, Jump, Spot, Listen, Appraise, Intimidate, Knowledge(any), Perform, Sense Motive

Proficiencies: A ship captain  is proficient with simple weapons, martial weapons, firearms and mechas.

Features:

Battleship: The Ship Captain has come in possession of a powerfull battleship by fate or hard work  (the details of which should be discussed with the DM). At 1st level, the Captain has access to a basic battleship. If the battleship is reduced to 0 HP it crashes into the ground, requiring one month of repairs to get it back into working condition. If the Ship Captain is at least 4th level, his crew can put the Ship back into action with just 10 minutes of quick repairs, however it will be three levels lower than  normal  until enough time has passed to fully repair it(including arsenal options).

The Battleship grows in power with its Captain's level as indicated in the battleship section, due to the captain's crew becoming more skilled and the Captain herself having more and more power to get needed supplies.

Maneuvers: The Ship Captain learns maneuvers and stances from the Ships Full of Hope discipline, as well as from one of the Ace Pilot, Burning Spirit, and Into the Danger Zone disciplines. To learn a maneuver of a given level, she must have a Pilot level of twice the maneuver level, minus one.  Her Pilot level is equal to her Ship Captain level plus half her other levels.

Crew: At 1st level, a Ship Captain gains a crew along with their battleship. This crew manages the actual workings of the ship, while the Captain gives the orders, supervises, and shouts a lot. The crew is, for the most part, only experienced at battleship maintenance and controlling.

Leader:At 1st level, the Ship Captain gains Leader as a bonus feat.

Spirited:Starting at 2nd level, each level of Ship Captain increases their maximum number of spirit points by 7. In addition, the Ship Captain learns one spirit, with an additional one learned at 5th level and every three levels therafter.

Spirits can be used as a free action at the begginning of your turn by paying their cost in spirit points (before you take any other action). You recover 5 spirit points per round up to your maximum. You can use multiple spirits in a turn, but only once each kind of spirit. Spirits that trigger in a condition like valor and alert  last 1 minute and then are lost if not triggered untill then.

Spirit List

Bonus Feat:Whenever this ability shows up, the Ship Captain may gain a feat from the list of pilot feats, provided she meets the prerequisites.

Custom Ship: At level 4, the Ship Captain has obtained custom upgrades created by the crew of the ship, or from some kind of patronage with resources to spare, allowing access to Arsenal options. Only one accessory may be used at a time, and only Accessories and Arsenal weapons of up to the level indicated on the Ship Captain table (I at level 4, II at level 7, ect) may be chosen. With one week of work, the Accessory and Arsenal weapons may be changed.

Distinguished Officer: At 6th and 12th level, a member of the Ship Captain's crew has proved his worth, and has been promoted to become an Officer. Treat this officer as a cohort with all levels in the Ship Captain class, with the following exceptions - he uses the Elite Array for base stats, does not gain the Battleship or Custom Ship class features, nor does he gain the "Distinguished Officer" class feature. The first officer's level is the Ship Captain's minus two. The second officer's level is the Ship Captain's minus six. If the Ship Captain is killed, the highest ranking officer immediately gains the lost class features, and may take full command of the Battleship. If the officer takes command of the Battleship, he no longer provides the bonuses he did as an officer since they're too busy commanding the ship. Each officer fills a specific role and provides certain benefits in combat, selected from the list below. No officer type can be chosen more than once. Distinguished Officers may be changed at level up.
(click to show/hide)

Legendary Leader:At 20th level 1/hour as an Immediate action the Ship Captain can make his Leader aura affect all those who can see or hear him, regardless of distance.

Ship Captain ACF
(click to show/hide)

Ship Captain-only Flaws
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 02:44:07 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Captain
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 12:12:54 PM »
You've got Leader listed after Spirited in the text, when it should be the other way around.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 06:35:13 PM »
BattleShips

Battleships are massive mobile bases blistering with weaponry. Altough they have exceptional firepower and armor, their massive bulkyness makes them easy targets, and also makes it hard for  them to fire back at smaller mobile targets. Thus they usually serve as the strong point of a mecha force, backing up smaller units and providing an Intelligence center for officers and support staff. They come in a series of forms, but overall they all follow the same chassis.
Battleship Base Stats
(click to show/hide)
Battleship Special Properties
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:44:22 AM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Captain and Battleships
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »
Reserved.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 02:00:27 AM »
Reserved.

Offline Fzzr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 08:24:00 PM »
Our group was talking about ways to mix up Ship Captain builds, and we found that even though it can do some amount of combat and defense, there aren't really enough ways to distinguish those builds from each other without lots of multiclassing. When talking about ways to make the builds more varied, we came up with the idea of mixing up the Second/Third Officer class feature. Here's what we came up with:

Distinguished Officer

At 6th and 12th level, a member of the Ship Captain's crew has proved his worth, and has been promoted to become an Officer. Treat this officer as a cohort with all levels in the Ship Captain class, with the following exceptions - he does not gain the Battleship or Custom Ship class features, nor does he gain the "Distinguished Officer" class feature. The first officer's level is the Ship Captain's minus two. The second officer's level is the Ship Captain's minus six. If the Ship Captain is killed, the highest ranking officer immediately gains the lost class features, and may take full command of the Battleship. If the officer takes command of the Battleship, he no longer provides the bonuses he did as an officer. Each officer fills a specific role and provides certain benefits in combat, selected from the list below. No officer type can be chosen more than once.

Executive Officer: The Officer can use spirits during combat on the Ship Captain's turn like a passenger in another mecha.

Helmsman: For every four Ship Captain levels the officer has, he increases the Battleship's maneuverability by one level. Additionally, the officer grants a bonus to Balance checks for the purposes of flying equal to half his Ship Captain level.

Weapons Officer: The officer grants a to-hit bonus equal to his BaB to all attacks by the Battleship.

Chief Engineer: The officer reduces the energy cost of each hit to the E-Field by 1/4 his Ship Captain level, plus one.

Tactician: Once per round per six Ship Captain levels the officer can use a maneuver he knows which affects your allies that requires a Swift or Immediate action. The energy for this maneuver comes from the Battleship. If you can use this ability at least twice per round, you may consume two uses to perform a maneuver that uses a Standard action instead. If you can use this ability three times per round, you may consume three uses to perform a maneuver that uses a Full action instead. The Ship Captain and Tactician cannot use any maneuver which the other has already used that round. For the purposes of this ability, the officer acts at the same time as the Ship Captain.

The basic concept is to let the Ship Captain be especially good at various things without making any of them a must-take. A buff-focused build probably wants a Tactician first and then a Chief Engineer or XO depending on how they act in combat. An offensive build will want a Weapons Officer first and then Chief Engineer, Helmsman, or XO. A defensive build will want Chief Engineer first and then Tactician or XO.

Note: Helmsman doesn’t fit cleanly in any of the builds, but we included it because a certain player wants to be able to make a BB surf into the atmosphere on a piece of debris*, which probably requires Perfect maneuverability.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uULjjKgHPkE
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:57:22 PM by Fzzr »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 11:03:35 PM »
I quite like that idea. Added your expanded officer list and took the liberty of granting some extra options to each besides the spirit/maneuvers ones.

Although I should point out that
Executive Officer: The Officer can use spirits during combat on the Ship Captain's turn like a passenger in another mecha.
Passengers can no longer use spirits while riding inside unless they have a specific class feature for that. It's been in the intro section for quite some time now, although seems like I forgot to add it to the changelog.

Note: Helmsman doesn’t fit cleanly in any of the builds, but we included it because a certain player wants to be able to make a BB surf into the atmosphere on a piece of debris*, which probably requires Perfect maneuverability.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uULjjKgHPkE

(really need to watch the Macross Frontier movie). That reminds me I've been tinkering with adding Ride to the "New Uses for Old Skills" thread precisely to emulate surfing on asteroids/shields//missiles/other mechas, but now that you mention it Balance kinda fits that too. Well they're both Dex based skills, may as well allow to use either. Let's see if I can finish that today.

Something else I've pondered is if "Atmosphere re-entry" should have their own intro in Exotic Enviroments. It is kinda of a staple of real mecha shows, but in the other hand usually one or two episodes and only lasts a few moments.

Offline Fzzr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 08:07:45 PM »
Oh, I haven't had occasion to have a passenger for a while. Good to know.

Glad you like it! Nice additions, too. That's a cool way to get the new Area variants onto a BB without major shenanigans.

Note: You ended up with an extra [/spoiler] in there. Also, "Inmediate" in the Legendary Leader description should be spelled "Immediate".

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 09:01:08 AM »
Cleaned up, thanks.

Offline Fzzr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »
Now that sled/shield riding is a thing, recommend updating Helmsman to read:

For every four Ship Captain levels the officer has, he either increases the Battleship's maneuverability by one level or movement speeds by 10 mu. This configuration can be changed 1/round at the start of the Ship Captain's turn. Additionally, the officer grants a bonus to Balance and Ride checks for the purposes of flying or riding sleds and other objects equal to half his Ship Captain level.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 09:47:39 PM »
Done for the sake of better storywriting.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 09:32:46 AM »
Does first level of Ship Captain give SP?
Do you mean for the hardpoint to be in the basic ship stats when Custom Ship isn't till 4th level?
Distinguished Officer is still 2nd ams 3rd Officer on class chart.
Could be missing it, but the type of area isnt listed on the Battleship's main cannon.
What about Starship Captian spefic feats that alter the battleship being active when they are in seperate mecha?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 01:15:58 AM »
-No.
-Yes, super robots also get hardpoint by default. Custom ship unlocks delayed arsenal access, but you could still fill the hardpoint with, say, civilian clothes.
-Fixed, now named 1st and 2nd Distinguished Officers.
-If no type of area is listed, it defaults to line as per the Area description.
-The feats would still work normally if the captain is away and alive.