Author Topic: Faster Paced PbP Campaign interest check  (Read 52612 times)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Paced PbP Campaign interest check
« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »
I should probably make a lil' research and figure out what is a real mecha and what's a super. I know little to nothing about that stuff.
Apparently robots found or that otherwise chooses you for some destiny are supers, and those made by organizations mostly for war are reals.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2013, 06:55:57 PM »
Honestly, in practice? It's a matter of tone. Real Robots are, well, commonly produced. They're also generally (as the name suggests) more realistic. From a practical standpoint, they seem to go in for speed and finesse whilst supers go for raw power.

Meanwhile, Super Robots are the unique, one-of-a-kind creations that tend to treat physics as optional guidelines. XD

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2013, 07:00:22 PM »
Haha! I see!

Then I guess I'm more of a real robot kinda guy.

Still getting a super robot, though. Not for the most honourable reasons, I'm afraid.

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »
@Anomander: Gundam has both super and real robots. Watch any episode of any of its series and you'll soon see the difference.
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »
Or you could watch Code Geass instead. Amazing series. It does a better job with mechs and nations fighting each other than the Goddamn series as failed to do in the last forty years.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »
... Gundam is the Real Robot series (well, there's also Macross); I'm not sure watching it for Super Robots is a good idea.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is Super Robot, hilariously.

And saying 'watch Code Geass for the robots' is possibly the worst advice I have ever seen (because the robots are not the main focus, for a start). Anyway, try and avoid turning this into a 'which series is better' thing, please?  :eh

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »
I've actually watched the entirety of Gundam Seed + Destiny and Code Geas. Nice stuff. Probably why I prefer Reals. I don't recall seeing something that would qualify as supers in them though. Some were really uber but they were still reals, I think. Code Geas has a special merit in my heart for being a mecha centered series that my brother could actually bear. He hates the stuff but the whole harpoon thingie was awesome.
Watched some TTGL. That'll be another silly Supers that I actually enjoyed.
Don't recall seeing much else of the kind though.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2013, 07:19:03 PM »
Gunbuster is six episodes and pretty much segues from Real to Super. For artistic reasons, the last episode is in black and white. It also seems to make everyone cry.

TTGL got up to universe sized mecha, it's definitely rather silly. Can't remember if Getter Emperor or Ideon or something decided to be bigger... Hmm...

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2013, 07:23:24 PM »
Spinzaku's Lancelot, the red chick's clawbot and Lelouch's "ultimate" mecha that shoots graviton waves or whatever would count as supers, as in they're super prototypes that bring crazy new powers to the battle.

I'll recommend Getter HRobo myself as a super robot classic with some real robot elements, in particular if you see/read Shin Getter Robo.

Now in Touhou Style!

Incidentally, I should probably mention that I've got Magic Vestment and Greater Magic Weapon (+3 bonus) as spells known and plenty of slots to cast them with, if that affects anyone's equipment choices.

Can you Magic Weapon a Mecha Weapon and/or Magic Vestment a Mecha?

Yes if you channel trough it a divine pilot.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2013, 07:27:35 PM »
Super Prototypes hardly equal Super Robots (and they all seem a bit on the small side, honestly... XD)

I think a friend of mine said the 70's stuff hasn't aged brilliantly, take it as you will (I think Mazinger got a remake
Don't know)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »
Super Prototypes hardly equal Super Robots (and they all seem a bit on the small side, honestly... XD)
They do when said prototypes go "Hey you know how you were being all tacticish with kinetic guns and stuff? Well I just charge in and roundkick/clawmelt/HUGELAZORS armies into oblivion!"

I think a friend of mine said the 70's stuff hasn't aged brilliantly, take it as you will (I think Mazinger got a remake
Don't know)

Getter Robo is considered a classic for a good reason, it has aged pretty well. I myself just watched it a couple years ago and loved it. And I had already watched Code Geas and TTGL before that.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2013, 07:43:21 PM »
The main difference generally seems to be one of believability and replicability. The Code Geass stuff? Military equipment, none of it is fantastical. They're Super next to the mook robots, but that's because they're basically tanks on legs. Put them up against Mazinger or something. :p

Offline bobthe6th

• Not sure what to put here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2013, 07:54:39 PM »
would it be possible for me to get in on this? Thinking a Titan 12/ God 12, fluffed as Murphy, the god of mechanical failure. He lacks adherents, more acknowledged and feared by all mechanics(a massive population all of its own...).

Actually looking at the classes, they overlap scarcely well... especially for a chaotic god.
avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew.  you should PEACH them...
Telekineticist
Razor

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »
Check the rules more carefully. You need to be a mecha pilot of some sort in one of the halves.

The main difference generally seems to be one of believability and replicability. The Code Geass stuff? Military equipment, none of it is fantastical. They're Super next to the mook robots, but that's because they're basically tanks on legs. Put them up against Mazinger or something. :p
It's fantastical enough that there's only one prototype of each, when everything else is being mass-produced left and right.

Spinzaku shatters steel and dodges gatlings when on his own foot. I'm pretty sure he could give Mazinger a run for his money when on his last Lancelot. :P

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »
And saying 'watch Code Geass for the robots' is possibly the worst advice I have ever seen
Which means you understand the point I just made.  :cool

Also for someone bitching about comparisons. You sure jumped on board and took things 101%.
But let's think for a moment. "Military equipment, none of it is fantastical." on Code Geass? Wow. I guess they need to scream shining finger to impress you.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:35:31 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2013, 02:32:24 AM »
Nope, it means I don't understand the point you were trying to make at all, because it makes no sense.

Nah, the robots aren't fantastical. Out there, but not mind-bendingly ridiculous. It's not like they have Geass. 'Fast with a fancy sword', 'boils things', and 'laser' are not,  on their own, that much. Also, rollerblades. >.>

It's fantastical enough that there's only one prototype of each, when everything else is being mass-produced left and right.

Isn't that the entire point of a prototype? They start making more copies of Lancelot later on, too. :???

Spinzaku shatters steel and dodges gatlings when on his own foot. I'm pretty sure he could give Mazinger a run for his money when on his last Lancelot. :P

I think it'd be fun to just wait and watch him run out of power. :p

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:11:30 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2013, 07:38:39 AM »
the background is coming, as well as the Second officer stats.

NAME NOT YET CHOSEN

Super Pilot 2 Ship Captain10// Pseudodragon 1
Soulknife 2 Feat rogue 2 Parangon 7

(click to show/hide)

HD:12 2d10+10d12+ 12*5 (X hp)
Saves: F +13 (8+5), R +21 (17+2+2), W +22 (15+7)
AC: 37 (5 Armor, 5 Natural Armor, 3 Dex, +11 monk belt +2 Size), touch 26, flat-footed 22.
DR6/ magic. Sonic & Fire Resistance 6. Fast Healing 6. SR 25.
Initiative: +3
Speed:80 ft fly speed (Good), 22 ft foot. (+50% all speed, already included).
Senses: Blindsense, Low-light Vision, Darkvision, Mindsight. Telepathy 120 ft.
BAB/Grapple:
+12/+7/+2.
Attacks:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2013, 10:41:14 AM »
Expanded Fluff
(click to show/hide)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »
The point I was making is Code Grass isn't a mech show, and it handles mechs better than the so called mech shows. E.G. The eyecandy of one show is greater than the cental theme of another. It's an insult.

The Godamn Wing show expected us to swallow the Tallgeese prototype being more powerful than those god aweful Leo units. You remember those right? Stood around shooting a cannon and died. CG's "military" mechs drove around at high speed with machine guns and beat each other with batons. I wonder which is more of a tank compairsion there. Anyway, the Lancealot was a continually developed prototype. From 7th gen to 9th gen, highest series in the show. Two mass fabs are shown (7th gen) and thats it. Far more title worthy to dub one of the stongest mechs in CG than to dub even a Gundam in wing, only only three of them seen any sort of upgrade after the entire army was upgraded to doll with Funnel systems.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »
... It handles mecha better than actual mecha shows? Err... no. The mecha weren't that well handled.

Not sure what that second paragraph is even about.

So... we're basically at the start of PSO Episode 1? Damn it, Dark Falz (love that mistranslation) is down there. :p

So, how old should I make this character? I'm a bit uncertain, given that the war noted in the fluff was a hundred years ago. XD

EDIT: Also, a friend of mine has instructed me to slap you for suggesting that Code Geass is better for mecha than Gundam Wing, just so you know.  :lmao
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:43:06 AM by Raineh Daze »