Author Topic: Spellcaster turned into intelligent undead - any loss of prepared spells?  (Read 927 times)

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
I ran across the Spectral Mage template in Magic of Faerun earlier this evening, and I had an idea of how to use it in my game.  It turns any arcane spellcaster into a spectral mage, with all the casting it had in life.  They even get the ability to manipulate things within the bounds of what would be allowed for Mage Hand (5 pounds), to manipulate spell components, turn pages in their spellbook, use wands, etc.

However, the method of this prospective Spectral Mage's death will likely lead to the plundering of his spellbook, while he is far away from his homeland and any potential back up spellbook.

When someone is brought back to life via Raise Dead, there is a 50% chance that any given prepared spell or spell slot is lost.  Resurrection does not have this consequence, though.

Would the newly-created spectral mage have all his uncast spells?  Or would he lose some?

This will be important for the purposes of reconstructing his spellbook with the spells he has in his mind.

PS - quite interesting that an undead type that can only be applied to arcane spellcasters, can only be created by a 16th or higher level cleric.

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcaster turned into intelligent undead - any loss of prepared spells?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »
Seems like you're in DM fiat territory.  So, what's better for the plot? 

Is it better for him to be an uber mage with limited spell selection desperately hunting for more spells ...