Author Topic: Discussion  (Read 8068 times)

Offline TheGeometer

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 07:05:34 PM »
No, that wouldn't really work. Following that rule, a chaotic Spirit Magic user would be better off picking one type of dogma to use (say, detrimental) and making all of her choices of the other category deliberately bad. That way, she would be negatively affected by her spirit only half as often as if she had chosen dogmas that she had intended to use. Plus, without any limitation on which dogma she can use on any given turn, she becomes effectively twice as versatile as the good or evil spirit casters. This restriction gives her exactly half that versatility each turn, balancing it out perfectly. It also makes it so that if she does attempt to make one type of dogma dominant, she'll be hindered half the time, exactly as often as the spirit is.

Offline TheGeometer

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 10:31:59 PM »
Actually, I think I can make it work if the spirits express randomly from all core dogmas of the level below the one the character uses. That mechanic makes much more sense to me than the limitations needed to deal with expressing from the character's dogma list. But for that, I'll need 10 or 12 dogmas of each type per level, plus neutral ones, which is way more than what I did for remnant magic even if I change the number of dogma levels to 7 or something. So, I'll be working on that. But this is partly to let all of you know that I haven't forgotten this massive project.

Offline TheGeometer

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »
Sorry about the double post, but I wanted to draw people's attention back to this thread. I have all of the class features and most of the mechanics figured out, but there's one issue that keeps tripping me up, and I was hoping that some of you could help me come up with a solution.

I can't think of a way to balance dogmas being used outside of encounters. Limiting their use outside of battle by the day seems to contradict the theme, and having each out-of-battle dogma impact encounters to come would be too disruptive or chaotic and would bog down the gameplay. Each dogma could correspond to a debuff of some kind, but the duration would have to be the entire day for that to be a hindrance if it happens outside of encounters, and balancing that kind of thing doesn't seem feasible.

So, any ideas? I'll be brainstorming, too, but feel free to chime in if you think of anything.

EDIT: updated the Spirit Magic page with some current ideas. Check it out and let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:46:25 AM by TheGeometer »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 03:22:28 PM »
Are you still working on this?

Offline TheGeometer

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 05:02:39 PM »
I hadn't been, but occasionally I find myself going back to it. A while ago I came up with some more interesting adjustments to Spirit Magic, so maybe I'll at least finish this chapter up (although I really like my ideas for Elemental and Idea Magic, and I kind of wanted to get those written, too). Can't promise anything, but this should at least let you know that I haven't fully disappeared.

Sorry about leaving this project in limbo for so long.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2016, 06:25:06 PM »
It's okay, projects I follow usually end up going into limbo and never finishing.

Welcome back, glad you're okay!