Author Topic: 2000/1/03-04 - Effortless Everyday  (Read 73002 times)

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
Re: 2000/1/3-4 - Effortless Everyday
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »
The call reaches Kiley as she's standing in front of the self-defense store. With the rain out, she decides to take the call while ducking into the store, pulling down her hood and combing some hair out of her face. Poor idea to conceal one's face in a store full of weapons, much less in this part of town. "Yeah?"
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Honorary Mod
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2013, 04:06:18 PM »
Kiley

The store is plain and quite small, with catalogs and pictures of the wares on the front, but no actual merchandise on display except for the racks behind the counter. The shopkeeper, a big beefy guy Kiley recalls to be one Simon, glances up, notices that she's on the phone, and settles into his seat to wait. Evidently business is slow today, and a minor isn't going to be making any large purchases anyway.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »
"I got out in one piece." Sam pokes a finger through the hole. "More or less. Scattershot's gone off to do his own thing so I'm off the hook for now. He gave me his phone number too, so if that ever comes in useful, the option's there." He glances out at the mouth of the alleyway where the rain's pouring down. "I can come meet up with you once you're done shopping if you like? I'm probably not sticking around here long in any case."
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2013, 04:02:31 PM »
"Okay, meet you at lunch. You're gonna have to tell me everything." Hanging up with a quick bye, Kiley greets Simon and gets on the business of giving him money for things she wants. "Um... I'm looking for a new stun gun to replace this one. It got busted."

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Honorary Mod
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »
Kiley

Simon looks at it, then gets up and checks the bottom, "Pretty new piece, what did you do? Microwave it?"
Without waiting for or expecting an answer, he bends down beside the counter and rummages for a moment, then produces a box, "Four hundred bucks for a new one.".

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »
"Wasn't me, but close enough." Kiley suppresses a small groan at hearing the price. Expensive, but it's not like she didn't expect it. Without comment, she counts out the bills on the counter. Good thing they'll be earning some money later in the week.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:17:10 PM by Agita »

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Honorary Mod
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »
Kiley

Simon spends a moment inspecting the bills, then rings up the bill, handing Kiley the bag with the new weapon. "Don't go frying yourself in the rain with it this time."

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2013, 06:02:37 PM »
Kiley replies with an indeterminate noise and departs the store, heading through the rain back to Whitethorn to meet up with Sam. Luckily, the streets are empty enough she can let the rain pass straight through her while keeping her jacket solid to prevent questions as to why she's dry coming out of the rain.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2013, 09:19:56 PM »
Sam shoves the phone back into his pocket and makes for Whitethorn to find Kiley, taking advantage of the poor visibility and the lack of people to move much faster than normal when no one's around to watch.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Honorary Mod
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2013, 12:34:28 AM »
Sam arrives back on campus to find Kiley just ahead of him, with no other students to be seen.  Either out and about or avoiding the rain.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2013, 03:04:39 PM »
Sam jogs up behind Kiley, much more soaked than she is after his dash through the rain. "There you are! Let's get something warm to drink and I'll spill the whole story. You're buying though, I've had a rough day already."

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2013, 04:31:32 PM »
Kiley takes out her wallet, opens it, and looks into the nearly empty space where bills go. "You're making baby wallet cry. Good thing we'll have payday soon..." Nevertheless, she accedes to buying hot chocolate for both of them with the last few dollars on her.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »
Once they're settled into seats near the back of one of the student cafes, Sam takes a long pull from his drink. "Ahh. Alright, so the long and short of it is that when I walked into Jim's place the only other person there was Scattershot trying to score a free meal. I bought him some food to shut him up and get him out without blowing the place up, at which point he decided I was going on patrol with him. That wasn't entirely bad - I've got his contact info in case I need to arrange a distraction, and I know he and a couple of B-listers hang out near the abandoned mines now...Black Cat, Leaf Ronin, and Thunderous I think. Met Leaf Ronin for the duel he and Scattershot were supposed to have, which was completely one-sided. Scattershot's not too bright but he lucked out on his trigger event." He pauses for breath and more of the hot chocolate, heaving a deep sigh.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »
Kiley listens with her head rested on her hands and a small grin. "Exchanging phone numbers already? Huh. Didn't think he'd be your type. Shouldn't you get to know him past the first impression first?"

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »
Sam loftily tries to ignore Kiley, dabbing at his mouth with a napkin in a vaguely indignant manner. "Anyway, after that Scattershot dragged Leaf Ronin out on patrol and blew up an electronics store when he spotted some of Franco's men going inside. Probably a shakedown, I'm guessing. Leaf Ronin decided this would be a good time to vanish, no idea where he went. I walked in to see if everyone was still alive and got shot at for my trouble." He taps the section of his jacket with a hole in it. "I gave the guy a smack in the mouth and scrammed before Scattershot set off another air bomb, then convinced him to wait around and ambush the people who'd be coming to investigate so he wouldn't decide to use me as bait."

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2013, 01:41:49 PM »
Kiley snickers a bit when Sam just keeps talking to twist the knife in the wound. She gets slightly more serious as he describes the actual events of the shakedown. "So... what are the odds one of the goons would know you?"

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2013, 01:49:45 PM »
Sam shrugs, balling up the napkin. "Not that high, I think. It's possible, but unless they hang around the school often I don't think they'd recognize me easily. Only one of them was even conscious when I walked in, and he was probably shaken up badly enough that he wouldn't be able to pick me out of a lineup. He'd have known not to shoot at me if he did know my face, too. I mean, all I did was walk into a store." He frowns faintly. "Well, okay, I was walking around with Scattershot, but it's not like I could really say no to him unless I wanted to get more things blown up."

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
"True. Let's hope for the best there, I guess." Kiley's expression remains serious. "So he's that pushy, huh? Just don't agree to anything you don't think you're ready for."

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2013, 10:53:53 AM »
"I will throw you into the ocean and not lose a minute of sleep over it." The corners of Sam's mouth quirk upward. "So did you get your new cattle prod? Hopefully we won't need it tomorrow, but it's still good to have along."

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2013, 05:45:17 PM »
Kiley collapses into a giggling fit that it takes her a fair while to recover from before nodding. Good thing there's barely anyone around. "Yeah. Cost me an arm and a leg, I'm pretty much broke now. Here's hoping we get a good haul for our troubles." Kiley pauses briefly before snorting and starting to snicker all over again.