Author Topic: Gargoyle  (Read 5332 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Gargoyle
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:59:26 AM »
Gargoyle

GargoyleHD: d8

Level
Base
Attack
Bonus
+1
+2
+3
+4

Fort
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4

Ref
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4

Will
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1

Special
Gargoyle Body, Freeze, Fake Hunger, +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int
Mineral Hide, Stone Teeth, +1 Str, +1 Con
Gore, Sudden Dive, +1 Str, +1 Con
Gargoyle Skills, Waterspout, +1 Str, +1 Con

Skills: 2+Int modifier per level (x4 at 1st level. Class Skills: Balance,  Bluff , Climb, Concentration , Diplomacy , Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (any), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Swim

Proficiencies: Its own natural weapons only.

Class Features:
Gargoyle Body: The Gargoyle loses all other racial bonuses and gains Monstrous Humanoid traits (basically darkvision 60’) plus the [Earth] subtype. It's a medium sized Monstrous Humanoid with base speed 40 feet with two claw attacks each dealing 1d4+Str mod damage. It has wings, but they're too weak to do anything for now.

The Gargoyle also gains a bonus to Nat armor equal to its Con mod.

Freeze: As a standard action a Gargoyle can hold itself so still it appears to be a statue. An observer must succeed on a DC 10+HD+Con mod Spot check to notice the Gargoyle is really alive. As soon as it takes any actions, this effect ends.

If the Gargoyle has 4 or more HD, special senses such as Scent, Blindsense, Blindsight, Mindsight, Tremorsense and similar also fail unless the observer succeeds on the Spot check.

If the Gargoyle has 8 or more HD effects such as Detect Magic/Life/Thoughts/Similar don't affect the Gargoyle or it's gear unless the observer succeeds on the Spot check.

Fake Hunger:
A Gargoyle requires no food, water, or air to survive, but still take pleasure in hunting for the kill.  As a swift action, a Gargoyle can focus on an opponent. As long as that opponent is focused, the gargoyle can fullattack  or coup-de-grace them as a standard action. This coup-de-grace consists on the Gargoyle feasting on the fallen foe's flesh, and grants the Gargoyle a +1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls for 1 minute as long as the target had 1 HD, plus another +1 morale bonus for each other 2 HD of the victim.

Ability Score Increase:
A Gargoyle gains +2 Str, +2 Con, and -2 Int at first, then +1 Str and Con every other level, for a total of +5 Str, +5 Con and -2 Int at 4th level.

Mineral Hide: Not actual constructs or elementals, Gargoyles are still covered by rocks of some kind. At 2nd level pick one of the following

(click to show/hide)

Stone Teeth:
At 2nd level the Gargoyle gains a Bite secondary attack dealing 1d6+1/2 Str mod damage. In addition its Natural weapons now count as Magic for bypassing DR.

Gore:
At 3rd level the Gargoyle gains a Gore secondary attack dealing 1d6+1/2 Str mod damage.

Sudden Dive:  At 3rd level the Gargoyle gains a Fly speed of 60 feet with Average maneuverability.  A Kapoacinth instead gains a swim speed of 60 feet. Either way, increase the critical threat of the Gargoyle natural weapons by 1 when attacking an enemy from above.

Gargoyle Skills:  At 4th level the Gargoyle gains a racial bonus on Hide, Listen and Spot checks equal to ½ its HD. The Hide bonus increases by 8 when a Gargoyle is concealed against a background of stone or masonry, stacking with Artic type if conditions are met.

Waterspout:
The first gargoyles were simple building parts meant to divert rain water on temples and other tall buildings, until some drunk  cleric decided to give them life. At 4th level as a move action the Gargoyle can use a Breath Weapon in the form of a stream of high-velocity water 5 feet per HD long and 1 foot wide which expels about 30 gallons of water. The force of this geyser deals 1d4 points of damage to a single target and the Gargoyle can use this ability to trip or bull rush the target as a free action whitout causing attacks of opportunity (if the attempt fails, the Gargoyle cannot be tripped or bull rushed in return). The Breath Weapon is usable every 1d4 rounds. In alternative, the Gargoyle can reduce their stream to a constant trickle in order to pass themselves off as ornamental fountains.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:45:00 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
Re: Gargoyle
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »
I can't see anything mechanically wrong with it, so I'll just fix up the problem that you don't take too seriously, kay?

Okay I took a look over the whole thing and fixed... Drat, I missed the first its in weapon proficiencies. Well... Nah, it's not important. I already got rid of everything else.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:01:00 PM by Threadnaught »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Gargoyle
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »
Edited in the cleaned up version you PMd me, thanks!