Author Topic: Anime and series recommendation thread!  (Read 3571 times)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
Anime and series recommendation thread!
« on: September 14, 2017, 02:59:26 PM »
Hey guys!

So it turns out I have like 1-2 hours of free time before and after uni every day on my way there, and I've been using that time to get caught up on anime and series and stuff.

Thing is, I'm burning through all that pretty damn quick - I've almost run out of tokusatsu to watch, same with anime I'm actually interested in. So I'm looking for recommendations! Any suggestions?
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Anime and series recommendation thread!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 06:20:13 PM »
Code Geass & Death Note for starters then it depends on what you're interested in (implying no matter what you like watch those first). There are a lot of "traditional" suggestions too, Fate, One-Punch, Gundam something or Gurren ladrillnuts, .Hack and it's various spinoffs, Sword Art Online and a much better alternative Konosuba, and and some point we'll get to the adult (shenin) ones or borderline hentais like Hellsing, Gantz, Highschool DXD, or Elfin Lied. And you can't forget Shonen adaptions like Fullmetal Alchmist, Attack On Titan, Naruto, or the first major arc of Bleach (no fillers).

Have you hit up any of the post TeamFourStar abridged series? Like BlazingAzureCow's Bleach or you know, TFS's Dragonball Z.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:24:07 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:38 PM »
Code Geass & Death Note for starters then it depends on what you're interested in (implying no matter what you like watch those first). There are a lot of "traditional" suggestions too, Fate, One-Punch, Gundam something or Gurren ladrillnuts, .Hack and it's various spinoffs, Sword Art Online and a much better alternative Konosuba, and and some point we'll get to the adult (shenin) ones or borderline hentais like Hellsing, Gantz, Highschool DXD, or Elfin Lied. And you can't forget Shonen adaptions like Fullmetal Alchmist, Attack On Titan, Naruto, or the first major arc of Bleach (no fillers).

Have you hit up any of the post TeamFourStar abridged series? Like BlazingAzureCow's Bleach or you know, TFS's Dragonball Z.
I've bolded the ones I already watched.

I'll not come within the field of possibility of watching Naruto in this or any other lifetime.

I haven't watched AoT because I'm keeping up with the manga as it's released here and I want to avoid spoilers.

EDIT: As a sidenote, WHY ARE KONOSUBA SEASONS SO SHORT, I'M ALMOST DONE WITH SEASON 2!!  :bigeyes :bigeyes

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 09:22:56 PM »
Aldonoah Zero is a very nice gem of mecha series, where the protagonist has to use real robots with plain giant rifles against the invading super robots with uber abilities. First season is better than the second, but if you really enjoyed said first season, the second is worth it too.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »
Getting started on that one.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 11:15:46 PM »
Have you watched both of the Fullmetal Alchemist anime?

Wolf's Rain and Witch Hunter Robin are in my top three.  Toradora! is a high school anime and also in my top three, I can't explain why I love it but I do.

Cowboy Bebop is good. 

Samurai Champloo was weird but not bad.  I don't regret watching it.  The juxtaposition of the music threw me off though.

Inuyasha honestly isn't bad.  Just don't let one of my exes know that I said that.

Both Vampire Hunter D movies of course, though they're very different.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 11:38:06 PM »
Have you watched both of the Fullmetal Alchemist anime?

Wolf's Rain and Witch Hunter Robin are in my top three.  Toradora! is a high school anime and also in my top three, I can't explain why I love it but I do.

Cowboy Bebop is good. 

Samurai Champloo was weird but not bad.  I don't regret watching it.  The juxtaposition of the music threw me off though.

Inuyasha honestly isn't bad.  Just don't let one of my exes know that I said that.

Both Vampire Hunter D movies of course, though they're very different.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
The first, yes, but not Brotherhood yet.

I honestly didn't care for Samurai Champloo. Watanabe is a fucking genius with classic music genres like jazz and blues, but hiphop not so much.

What's Witch Hunter Robin about?

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 01:08:17 AM »
Its a like GitS but the hackers/terrorists are Witches. It's alot better than my explanation gives it credit for :D

Trinity Blood?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 09:13:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure that I liked Brotherhood better than the original but I'm at work ungodly early and can't confirm.

Because I'm tired, I'll use Wikipedia to explain the show.  "The series follows a fictional Japanese branch of a secret global organization called "SOLOMON" or the "Solomon Toukatsu Nin'idantai" (roughly "Solomon Executive Organization"), abbreviated as "STN" or "STN-J". Solomon fights the harmful use of witchcraft using a database of witches, which includes those who have obtained the power of witchcraft through genetics and others who carry the gene (called "seeds") in order to arrest or eliminate them should their powers "awaken". The series focuses on one STN-J member, Robin Sena."

It's really cool, has some great fight scenes and a really good story.  It starts out with a monster of the week kind of premise with an ovearching storyline, but then it veers off into left field and becomes much more engaging (and they obviously planned it to do that in the first place).

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
Its a like GitS but the hackers/terrorists are Witches. It's alot better than my explanation gives it credit for :D

Trinity Blood?
Watched it.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 12:08:26 PM »
I recommend Highschool DxD, it's first episode isn't the greatest since it tries to establish the other lechers as terrible people but it's got some great concepts, decent plot, nice crowning moments of achievement, and funny moments. FMA:Botherhood also sticks to the manga's plot while the original ended up creating it's own story after it caught up to the manga and I like the manga's ending better. Attack on Titan, idk. Decent series, gore-loving adaption, but season 2 was stuck in limbo for a few years and who knows if season 3 will even come out. Check it out if you have a chance. And you didn't mark Code Geass bold...

But yeah, everyone could use more Kunosuba in their life. I've been suggested to watch Ka La Kill on here before too, didn't like the art style but it may be worth looking into.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 06:17:58 PM »
KlK is fucking awesome, if nothing else from the soundtrack alone.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 04:03:17 PM »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 05:31:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q5EzRxZRFg  this one seems pure wtf
Nah, Keijo is actually pretty light when it comes down to it.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile

Give me internets. Now.