Author Topic: Mice in a Maze  (Read 14665 times)

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Mice in a Maze
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 01:38:46 PM »
You hear nothing but the movement of everyone in the room.

"Sounds like da coast is clear, but just in case..."

Terek draws his bow, and readies an action to shoot if anything hostile is on the other side.

With you guys being so paranoid i'm gonna be out of booze before we get out of here. Lets get this show on the road. Frank will open the door and begins to proceed through while looking around to see what is there until he realizes there is impenetrable darkness in front of him.

As you open the door, it seems to vanish slowly, disappearing behind some impentrable darkness.

(click to show/hide)

Um guys. Anyone got a way to get rid of darkness than ain't natural?

Well, if it's magic it probably can't go through solid things.  If we find what's shedding the darkness we should be able to chalk over it.  Or we, and by 'we' I mean 'he' could ask Pelor kindly to get rid of it.

"Wat da fff... Sorry guys.  I got nottin."
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 01:40:32 PM »
"Unfortunately, the light spell that I am capable of casting is not powerful enough to overcome magical darknees. If we wish to wait another day, I can ask The Shining One for aid in seeing through magical darkness, but it will only affect one of us. Perhaps we should try the left door."

Walking over to the left door, he places his ear against it, listening intently for a few seoncds.

(click to show/hide)

As before you hear nothing.

(click to show/hide)

"So... do we wait a day, or should one of us try to scout it out a bit?

I'm okay at listenin, but I'm not much for a fight up close."

"The spell would only allow one of us to see through the darkness" Reaching forward, he cautiously opens the left door.

Magic stuff works on a line of effect, right?  Like, if you cast a daylight spell, and I'm behind a wall or a wood bench or a big sheet of paper, the daylight isn't going to touch me.  So let's try to locate the pointwhere the magic darkness is coming from, maybe hammer in a couple of pitons and see where the non-shadowed regions are pointing towards, then get a bedsheet and wrap it around the darkness producer.

Dalanath's psicrystal skitters into the darkness.

(click to show/hide)

The psicrystal passes unobstructed into a fairly large room, it can tell where three walls are, one directly to its right, one right behind it, and one in front of it, but the fourth is too far away to see. The far wall is almost out of its sight, but it can tell there is another door, which is closed, directly across from the door it just exited, which it can no longer see.

(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 04:37:15 PM »
if your little gem can see I'll walk with it, but we need a way for it to tell me when something is coming.

I have five hundred feet of twine.  We can just tie one end to the crystal, and have it jerk three times if it sees something.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(If he notices the c. 10 foot pole)--Chauser's collaspible 10 foot pole catches his eye just as he's about to reach through the darkness for the door handle. "Chauser, mind if I borrow that for a few moments?" He asks indicating to the c. 10 foot pole. (Assuming Chauser hands him the pole) "Thank you" Taking the pole, he extends it and proceeds to reach it through the darkness to catch the door handle and pull the door close. He then moves to rejoin the group, handing the recollapsed pole back to Chauser with a nod.

(If he does not)-- His hand is quickly reached through the darkness to grab the door handle and pull it closed. He then moves to rejoin the group at the right door.

It takes Danus a few trys to hook the handle but he finally manages to get the door shut.

"So, what are we tinking?  Use da spider-crystal wit da twine?  Or are we goin in dere since we know how big da room is?

I'll go in wit help, but I suck up close in combat."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 04:40:12 PM »
Dalanath motions at the others.  "Come, I will lead the way.  The room is large enough for all of us."  He then walks confidently into the darkness, his piscrystal moving foward in order to examine the other side of the room.

As you walk through the doorway, you vision is blocked by the darkness.

The psicrystal skitters nearer to the wall in front of it, as it nears the wall, it sees a second door to the left, that is open.

(click to show/hide)

(Darkvision)
(click to show/hide)

(Torch bearers)
(click to show/hide)

(After a torch bearer enters)
(click to show/hide)

Terek, without a torch, cautiously follows Dalanth.

(click to show/hide)

You can see an empty doorway, and a few feet of empty space.

Hearing the growl Frank immediately grabs his ax and turns toward the direction it came from.

Would it be logical to believe the doorway we see open in the 2nd door from the previous room? (just want to make sure i'm envisioning this right)

He follows Frank, stepping through the darkness and into the room beyond.

Chauser follows within the light of the torch, holding his bag of marbles in his right hand.,

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 09:34:21 PM »
Galon flexes his spines as he follows within the torchlight.

Everyone's going to the open door?  Terek follows with his bow out, staying in the shadowy illumination part of the torch (more than 20 feet back from the torch-bearer).

As Galon steps through the darkness into torchlight, the group can hear a small thud from behind them, the sound of a door closing. When the group looks behind themselves they see no door at all though, just an empty wall where it use to be.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Terek is planning on following the group. :D

Dalanath stands there, pondering what to do next.  He is obvious to the growling.

I don't think we're alone!

The candle on Chauser's fez bobs unsteadily as he prepares for trouble.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »
Another low growl issues forth from the darkness, but you can still see nothing.

Dalanath's psicrystal slowly skitters in the direction of the growl, seeing if it can spot whatever is making the noise.

Danus turns in the direction of the growl, raising his shield as he moves into a defensive stance, his right hand hovering over his heavy mace's hilt.

Galon grins slightly as he raises his spines, twitching with excitement.
"Oooh! I wonder what we're up against!"

Terek points his bow toward the door.

Let's make it come out to us.

Chauser tosses a bag of marbles to the front of the door.

The psicrystal pauses at the doorway for a moment but skitters on past, it noticed an open door and the body of an orc.

(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »
Frank will move quickly to get closer to the psicrystal. He is the tank and doesn't want the cleric leading the way.

In the far corner, Frank can see three orcs huddled together on the floor. One is staring menacingly at him, which lets out a small growl.

OOOOORRRRRRCCCCSS!
(click to show/hide)

The orcs hurry to their feet, each hefting a large axe, but they remain in the corner.

(click to show/hide)

Frank will move into a stand-off position (right 2 up 1 from his current location) and ready his action to attack any Orc that enters his threat range.

The orcs shift a bit, without a word, but remain near the corner, seeming wary of the dwarf.

(click to show/hide)

Chauser tries a variety of languages
Hey guys.  What's up?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:19:03 PM by Sohala »

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »
Danus moves forward 40 feet, his shield still held in a readied position while his right hand continues to hover over the hilt of his heavy mace. Noticing their hesitation to level the corner.

"We do not mean you any harm, but should you attempt anything, we will defend ourselves, without hesitation. Please state your intentions" was said to the three orcs.

(click to show/hide)

Chauser gets a deep, but low volume laugh from the darkness for his troubles.

(click to show/hide)

In horribly spoken common, one of the orcs speaks up, "Death." By his tone you can't tell if it is a threat or not.

Dalanath moves forward to stand behind his psicrystal.  "What are we going to do?"

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

The little psicrystal skitters forward, into a position in front of the dwarf. From its new vantage point it does not spy any beads.

How about we share a drink now, and fight some other dudes to the death later?  We've got like a keg of booze, so there should be plenty for everyone.

Chauser sidesteps so he's next to the wall, facing where he thinks the gravelly voiced dudes are.

Oh, and who's the stiff?

(click to show/hide)

Chauser's offer seems to fall on deaf ears, as all he gets back is a weak grunt. His second comment seems to at least interest the orcs enough to warrant a short response, "Hes dead."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 07:53:26 PM »
Terek moves right three squares and up five, ending just south of the door.  He cannot see the orcs from here, but he readies an attack in case they charge within 60 feet.

(click to show/hide)

Dalanath softly says, "They don't seem to have beads, they're not competition."

(Softly) "Yeah.  Dey also mentioned somethin about 'death', so I'm not lettin my guard down."

Well you guys have two choices either we dance now or you leave us alone. Either way makes no difference to me, so pick one so we can move on.

(click to show/hide)

"Death come to all." Said one of the orcs cryptically. Their weapons seemed to lower a bit, and they withdrew back into their corner, but remained standing with weapons drawn.

Galon lowers his arms and walks after the group
"That's a bit vague, do you mean 'everyone dies eventually'? or 'we're going to kill you', or some third thing...?"he stops beside Dalanath, his stance non-threatening but ready.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »
No reply is given.

Chauser investigates the doorway for traps and tries to ID what killed the corpse.

Addressing the orcs he inquires "Can you please tell us what happened to the deceased? And would any of you be willing to answer a few other questions?"

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

By the scars on the body the orc seemed to have been rather experienced in the ways of combat. On closer inspection of the corpse you see that it has several small holes in its arm, legs, and neck. Their cause escapes your rational mind.

Danus’s request actually seems to make the orcs ignore the group even more, as you can hear the grating of metal on stone as they put down their axes and go back to huddling together.

Chauser walks over to and investigates the corpse for loot.  Nothing could possibly go wrong.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 07:57:55 PM »
(click to show/hide)

The body seems void of possessions, in the far corner there is a spear, but it has been snapped in half.

Chauser recollects his marbles.

Looks like the dead guy in this room got attacked by some sort of pointy ooze.  He's got puncture marks on all his exposed skin.

(quietly) "Shall we move on past da orcs?  I can stay in da back of da group and keep an eye on dem past da torch light."

softly to group, "Sounds like a plan. If they don't have beads and are unwilling to talk, we have no reason to linger."

All right then lets move on

(click to show/hide)

"Where to now?" Dalanath wonders out loud.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 08:00:29 PM »
"Around da corner to da left?"

Terek double moves to L-17 and peaks around the corner, making sure the orcs are staying put in the mean time.

From Terek's vantage point he is able to see only featureless walls, but not the end of the passage.

(click to show/hide)

"So far, da coast is clear."

Terek will round the corner, and slowly walk down row K (along the south wall of the hall) until he either sees anything interesting or gets too far away from the group.  He doesn't want to move more than 50 or so feet away from the corner at this point.

(click to show/hide)

As Terek moves down the wall he catches sight of an open door, the far wall, and a closed door almost in the corner.

"Hey guys!  Der are two more doors!"

Danus moves up 30 feet(K18), closer to Terek and the rest of the group, while keeping a close eye on the darkness of the orcs' corner as well.

"Can you please tell us more about the doors?"

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2011, 08:02:30 PM »
"Der are two of em.  One on da right side of da hall.  Da close one is open, and da far one is closed."

Sohala,
(click to show/hide)

At the distance you are at, you spot a small bit of cloth, but that is it.

Chauser tries to silently sneak along the wall to the door.

Move silent = 1d20+1=17

The orcs seem to watch you with very little interest, beyond that nothing happens.

"Let's check through the open door first" Says Danus as he moves 40 feet closer, heading along the south wall(K10).

Frank will move himself to the open doorway, though will toss a wary glance toward the Orcs occasionally.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 09:14:37 PM »
Dalanath trails behind, his psicrystal moving to catch up with Frank.

From the doorway you can see piles of old cloth scattered along the walls. The sour smell of decay is filling the room, and you notice a closed door on the far wall.

(click to show/hide)

Terek moves 40' to I-8 and attempts a Spot check to see if he can see anything unusual about the rags before approaching closer:

(click to show/hide)

They look like just piles of old rags.

Galon will (double) move 60' towards the rest of the group (I-11).

Chauser looks into the room...

Spot check: 1d20+5=6

... and goes momentarily blind.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »
Danus moves up to the north wall directly infront of him(H10) before whispering.

"What's in the room?"

(click to show/hide)

"Looks like piles of rags"

"Shall we try the closed door then?"

"We might sift through da rags before goin in too far.  Make sure dere's no snakes or spiders."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 01:30:50 PM »
All right then. Frank steps into the room and begins kicking up some of the cloth to see if there is anything under it we should be concerned about.

As Frank's foot connects with the cloth it disintegrated almost immediately, collapsing a section of the pile, and causing a cloud to billow out the door.

Yech, that smells disgusting.  Next time, let's just burn the stuff - anything valuable should survive.

"In the future, It's probably not a good idea to go around randomly kicking bits of old cloth rags in an unknown dungeon. Is everyone okay? Anyone inhale any of that?" Was asked as he steps back a few feet(within current square), making sure none of it got on him or his gear.

Dalanath slowly moves towards everyone else, his psicrystal in front of him.  "What's going on, what did you do?"

"Wow.  Don't I feel like a dick?  Sorry guys.  Maybe next time we should try a ten-foot pole or somethin.

I just know the next time we ignore it, it will be goddamn spiders or somethin."

"Hence why plan "set fire to everything" is the best setup.  Walking on through will be a little uncomfortable, but ten minutes won't deal any lasting damage."

(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »
Galon also approaches the doorway "Well, exploding rags aside, shall we proceed?"

Ehh its just a little mold. If thats all it takes to make a surfacer sick then we won't have to worry about anyone else surviving to get to the exit. Lets go.

Frank will head to the door across the room.

Terek holds his ground and readies an attack, just in case.

As Frank’s hand touches the door, a flare of flame belches from it. The flame ignites the remaining cloth, which goes up in a flash causing a gout of flame to shoot out the door.

Son of a Drow. This shit is getting annoying really quickly. Damed thing singed my beard. Anyone else get flame broiled?

"Ahh!"

(click to show/hide)

As you look into the room you see several barrels, crates, and sacks along the left wall. The barrels all have their lids broken in, the crates have boards torn off here and there, and the sacks are just as rotten as before.

The hallway ends with two choices, left to a pile of even more barrels, crates, and sacks, or to the right, through a small hallway.

(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 01:34:08 PM »
Frank will proceed into the room and wait for the group to catch up.

Dalanath continues to stay back behind the group.  He looks up sharply at the blast of flame.  "You guys aren't very good at this are you?" he asks helpfully.

Terek heads up two squares behind Frank at P-10.

"No, not really.  I'm used to bein outside."

Danus moves up into the exploding rag room(O-11) while asking Frank "What do you see?"

Look, let's just agree that I check the doors for traps first, since you guys apparently can't handle a little warm air.

Chauser moves into the newly revealed room.

A small noise echos from down the hallway...

...Only Chauser and Galon hear it.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 03:04:15 PM »
Guys, I think there's something coming down the hallway

Chauser sneaks out to take a look.

1d20+1=4
I ROLLED A THREE!

(click to show/hide)

There is not enough smoke to matter, the cloth burned to fast.

(click to show/hide)

Neither Chauser or Frank see anything, but...

Chauser, Danus, Galon hear the noise this time, it comes from the hallway, this time it sounds more distant and echoic.

"Whatever it is, it seems to be getting further away. Should we check it out?" Galon walks into the small room (R-10, I believe)

Sure, whatever

Chauser goes out and looks into the hall.

Upon hearing the noise, his hand returns to hovering over the hilt of his mace as he says "We should always be cautious, let's advance slowly. There is no point in being hastey. What do you see?"

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 03:08:32 PM »
Rounding the corner, you can hear a whoosh, followed by a high pitched squeal.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

You stick to finding traps and i'll take the lead walking into them. Ok. And with that Frank makes his way to the head of the group going down the hall and starts to look for whatever that was.

(click to show/hide)

As you make your way down the passage, there is a stench of burning flesh. When you get into sight of the far wall, Chauser catches sight of a small lump on the ground. Through his expert dungeoneering skills, he is able to identify it has a large rat, which from the looks of it, has portion of its body missing due to acid.

Dalanath will wander close behind, wondering what is going on.  His psicrystal sits on his shoulder.

(click to show/hide)

Terek sticks roughly 30 feet behind Frank (or whatever distance is most convenient given other's locations).

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage