What is your IQ?

90 to 100
101 to 110
111 to 120
121 to 130
131 to 140
141 to 150
151 to 160
What are you doing here, Einstein? Go invent Cold Fusion!
Thog no understand talky man

Author Topic: Average IQ of the boards  (Read 30810 times)

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
Re: Average IQ of the boards
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
It really sort of depends on the test; different tests have different ranges. 

I was formally tested twice, at the age of 13 and the age of 15.  As I recall, at 13 the test employed was the Stanford-Binet, and at 15 it was the then-current version of the WAIS.

The scores on both tests were...well, high enough that people tend to be skeptical.  Unfortunately, beyond a certain point, there's really no way to post an IQ score without sounding like you're bragging and/or lying, even if the score is perfectly legitimate.  (And, yes, I'm perfectly aware that even that sounds like braggadocio--see what I mean?)

You could go ahead and post your scores. I believe your intelligence to be quite high. Then again, that's because I usually agree with you.

Now, personally, I don't think the results meant all that much; I happen to be very, very good at that particular type of test, is all.  I don't consider that a particularly reliable indicator of overall intelligence.

I might as well post something I said to an acquaintance once.
(click to show/hide)
So, yeah. It matters more how you use your intelligence than what is is appraised at.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 06:59:33 PM »
Even if we agree that the scores can be wrong upwards of 20 points, if we normalize with that deviation we still get a pretty high percentage of really smart people here on the boards so far, even though not actually "genius" level.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Kajhera

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 07:15:54 PM »
Guys, it's not bragging to tell people your IQ results when asked about it.  :p

Offline Kajhera

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 07:31:27 PM »
Online test says 133, notsure how much I trust its methods but the number sounds fine at least.  I needed to know which poll option to press. xD

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 09:40:51 PM »
Guys, it's not bragging to tell people your IQ results when asked about it.  :p

When you have a relatively normal result, up to 140 (Which is considered exceptionally gifted, but not genius, just clearly above normal), it's generally not considered bragging. I mean, MENSA wants people with 140+, so up till then they consider you "normal". But people tend to frown on really high results(150+) because then it actually nearly auto-qualify you to be called a genius, at least on a purely intellectual level. Most people in the 150+ range tend to excel in one area above all others. Especially with REALLY high results(160+) that are close to what Einstein et al get, people think you're pretending to be smarter than you really are. ESPECIALLY on the internet, because e-pen size discussions nearly always include something in those lines to assert your "superiority" to your opponent.

So that's why people that rank really high generally keep that fact to themselves, and only really reveal it in person and to people that have already made out the fact that they are abnormally smart or REALLY good in one area. When someone already acknowledges you as a genius and actively asks for your IQ in person, it's not bad form to tell them. But it is bad form to reveal that online, on most cases.

But that's not the case here. We're here to reveal our scores, discuss about the mean scores of the group as a whole, and generally discuss the trend that people that play roleplaying games tend to have above average intelligence. And, actually, the more involved someone is with the "geek" or "nerdy" culture, the likelihood increases that they will be someone that's smarter than average. I'm sure there are all sorts of sociological and anthropological nuances to this.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The man who will be Pirate King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 03:12:35 AM »
And it's made worse by being on the internet, where the default assumption is that anything said is total bullshit :p  I think it's pretty easy to understand why a lot of people are reluctant to open themselves up to potential ridicule and disbelief =/ 

But I have to say so far I've been impressed - I fully expected to click on this thread and find it a river of flame.  It's nice to be pleasantly disappointed^^

Offline Kajhera

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 10:57:07 AM »
Mmkay you folks who break the test ceiling can stay quiet if you want.  :p

I'm going to say, I've always gravitated towards being surrounded by people who are smarter than myself. Whether that's intelligence in what the IQ test measures, intelligence in some other interesting fashion or intelligence in knowing what you're talking about. (Depends if I've got my heart set on learning something, how strongly I go for that last.) It's just ... fun to find out what people know and can do in areas I'm maybe strong in but not as strong, or have an interest in but haven't dedicated myself to pursuing, or ... have an interest in and want to learn.  :)

While I'm sure the poll at least has a selection bias, maybe that's part of why I enjoy this community as much as I do.

That, and I gravitate towards male-dominated communities and I only know like two other women here.  :P But that's an issue unrelated to overall intelligence, though it might be related to specific strengths. (I'm not good with culturally feminine things. My girl-fu is weak.)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 01:16:02 PM »
Lack of girl-fu can be overcome by the willingness to purchase really good chocolate

Offline Basket Burner

• Legendary Member
  • I break Basket Weavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 01:31:26 PM »
That, and I gravitate towards male-dominated communities and I only know like two other women here.  :P But that's an issue unrelated to overall intelligence, though it might be related to specific strengths. (I'm not good with culturally feminine things. My girl-fu is weak.)

Many fields are a sausage fest and gaming is one of them.

Offline Von Krieger

• Template Monger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »
Mine is somewhere between 145-155. Pretty sure it was 155 when I was in kindergarten. There was some standardized testing or something of the like done for a number of categories, and at the age of 6 I had an equivalent to a college student, as well as a reading level better than most adults.

I was reading Stephen King novels around 7 or 8 years of age.

Which kind of explains a lot.

I've taken several online IQ tests andpretty much hit the aforementioned range. Though there was one where I was ranked incredibly high, like 160.

I've taken the Mensa practice test.

I have an exceptional loathing for questions involving made up words.

I recall one that went something along the lines of "Some blah are nonesuch, some nonesuch are goobledegook" because nonesuch was a word ending in "-ian" I mentally filed it as an ethnicity. I don't recall how the question was phrased, but the logic worked out that it was correct the way I had it, but was not correct according the the standard answers of the test, which assumed a totally different type of word than I attributed to nonesuch.

Offline Kajhera

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 07:28:10 AM »

Many fields are a sausage fest and gaming is one of them.

So's computer science, at least at the undergraduate level. The women who do pop out of the woodwork are pretty cool though.  :p

Honestly I know where to go if I wanted to game with other women, in a geeky fashion. They've just gone to slightly different games for the most part. Armageddon for the online crowd, Magic: the Gathering for the college crowd, BESM for the dicerollers and anime conventions for getting hit on by straight girls. (Might just be the people I know.)

Offline Basket Burner

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 08:37:42 AM »
You forgot the ones there for the same reason the guys are.

Offline Kajhera

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 08:52:24 AM »
... The ones where?

Offline Basket Burner

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »
... The ones where?

I was thinking of gaming but could mean any field.

Offline Kajhera

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 10:17:19 AM »
... The ones where?

I was thinking of gaming but could mean any field.

I was talking about where they're rare or less rare, all I said about the ones found where they're rare is they're cool. (Sometimes intimidatingly so. Am I supposed to be like that?) :??? Kinda assumed they were there for the same reason as the guys.

Offline Basket Burner

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 10:22:11 AM »
Nevermind. We were talking past each other.

Offline Kajhera

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 10:24:09 AM »
Ah, gotcha.  :)

Offline Hallack

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • With Jetpacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
I'm so frakin' smart that most of what passes for discourse around here seems mostly like squirrels chattering amongst themselves.  Therefore, I had to go with Thog no understand talky man.   :P

No real idea, never tested and don't care to do so.  Smarter than the average bear for sure though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:28:47 AM by Hallack »

Offline Basket Burner

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2012, 11:08:06 AM »
I'm so frakin' smart that most of what passes for discourse around here seems mostly like squirrels chattering amongst themselves.  Therefore, I had to go with Thog no understand talky man.   :P

:lmao

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 03:19:47 PM »

My avatar is smarter than I am ... :pie
Your codpiece is a mimic.