What is your IQ?

90 to 100
101 to 110
111 to 120
121 to 130
131 to 140
141 to 150
151 to 160
What are you doing here, Einstein? Go invent Cold Fusion!
Thog no understand talky man

Author Topic: Average IQ of the boards  (Read 30856 times)

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
Re: Average IQ of the boards
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2012, 10:37:42 PM »
Right. While problem-solving is fairly important, the actual numbers matter almost as much as a person's pre-College grades (which is just a measure of effort).

A person's true intellect can only be guessed, and only through interacting with that person.

Ooooh! Ooooh! I know this one! My pre-College GPA was 0.73. Except for the semester I was physically beaten for not completing schoolwork. That one was 3.8.

I hated school.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> A POX UPON YOU ALL!
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, J, FOR STEALING THE PURITY OF NORNS.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, DRAMMOR, FOR ENSNARING ME IN THIS FIENDISH PRISON.

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2012, 01:28:42 PM »
Yes, because 90% of your grade has to be based off homework, otherwise the kids that just "don't do well on exams" but still know the material will fail.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »
I refuse to vote on principle

the kids that just "don't do well on exams" but still know the material will fail.
Isn't this how all profs like it?

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »
the kids that just "don't do well on exams" but still know the material will fail.
I was being sarcastic.  I know there are people with actual anxiety problems that give them trouble on tests, but honestly, people who fuck up on exam after exam aren't just bad at tests, they're idiots.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2012, 01:04:56 AM »
I was being sarcastic.  I know there are people with actual anxiety problems that give them trouble on tests, but honestly, people who fuck up on exam after exam aren't just bad at tests, they're idiots.
Are high school exams anything like state testing for EMT? I'd cut them some slack if it were...

To reiterate that. EMT Exams are two stupid answers, one that's close, and one that's right. The question it's self comes down to one word making the difference between the two possible answers.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:08:14 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2012, 05:25:04 PM »
^Not really.  If there are some unclear semantics on a question, and the answer given to the question is correct for a certain interpretation of the question, then the teacher usually gives credit for that answer.  Some teachers are intentionally terse, but they're just as big of idiots as their students (and much larger assholes).

I don't think I've taken a single college course where general homework counted for more than 30% of my grade, unless said homework was actually stuff like short essays or other papers of similar length.  In other words, stuff that you can't really make into an exam, but is still really important for the class anyway.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2012, 05:52:34 PM »

Or they have a hellish home life.  It's difficult to concentrate on tests or even bother with them when you have the threat of getting beaten when you get home, being told not to bother going home because you're no longer wanted at 14, or told that when you do you'll find all your possessions burning in a pile on the front lawn.

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »

Or they have a hellish home life.  It's difficult to concentrate on tests or even bother with them when you have the threat of getting beaten when you get home, being told not to bother going home because you're no longer wanted at 14, or told that when you do you'll find all your possessions burning in a pile on the front lawn.
This isn't exactly an education problem.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2012, 06:25:36 PM »

This isn't exactly an education problem.

True but my point was that consistent failure isn't always due to a lack of intelligence.  Sometimes it's outside circumstances that shouldn't be intruding like sociopathic family.  Or maybe undiagnosed disabilities.

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2012, 06:35:19 PM »
^ This is still not an education issue, and is also not new information.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2012, 08:59:56 PM »
I don't trust the test I took. It gave me 143. I don't consider myself an idiot, but I don't consider myself to be that intelligent.
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2012, 09:24:09 PM »
Your argument is fucked. It was said that people may not be utterly stupid even if they consistently fail their tests in school, yet you seem to relegate social factors to a minor, even non-existent, position. Ignoring my old posting style, I must say something: If you are saying only idiots fail their tests consistently, you must be stupid beyond my comprehension.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2012, 12:20:27 PM »
Your argument is fucked. It was said that people may not be utterly stupid even if they consistently fail their tests in school, yet you seem to relegate social factors to a minor, even non-existent, position. Ignoring my old posting style, I must say something: If you are saying only idiots fail their tests consistently, you must be stupid beyond my comprehension.
English in particular is terrible about this, as is presumably <INSERT YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGE> - the elements of a high-scoring essay are practically opposed to those of a well-written story. E.g. whether to end your dialogue in "he said" or "he exclaimed angrily"- the second breaks the flow and violates show-don't-tell, but it gets more marks for "creativity". Then there's teachers who give you poor marks because they disagree with your analysis, regardless of how well-worded it is...

tl;dr - Christopher Paolini probably scored better in English than Neil Gaiman.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:24:23 PM by Prime32 »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2012, 04:09:39 PM »
Dude in my freshman intro to psych, had been in the special ed classes all high school.
They told him: don't take the SATs.  He took them anyway and got about 1100.
Oops ... that's 10+ years of education system failure.
He got his degree and a good job ; and plays the organization idiot role "too" convincingly.

I mean hell ... this whole thread is about the new tiny Scion, right ?
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2012, 09:45:47 AM »
^Not really.  If there are some unclear semantics on a question, and the answer given to the question is correct for a certain interpretation of the question, then the teacher usually gives credit for that answer.  Some teachers are intentionally terse, but they're just as big of idiots as their students (and much larger assholes).

...except in situations where the teacher has no latitude in grading (like the aforementioned state testing.)

A good example:

A few years back, there was a reading passage on the state test for my grade.  The first line of it was something like "The sun was setting as all of the little frogs gathered around to hear Grandfather Frog.  This is the story he told."

The entire remainder of the passage was a first-person narrative by Grandfather Frog.  One of the questions was "What point of view is this story told from?"

In my opinion, this is the quintessential crappy question.  It tells you nothing about whether the student knows the difference between first, second, and third person; what it measures is whether the student was able to second-guess the test designer and figure out whether that person's line of reasoning was, "The first sentence frames the narrative, so it's third person" or "The narrative itself is first person."

When a classroom full of English teachers can't come to consensus on what the right answer is, there's a serious problem with asking that question to a seventh grader.

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
Then there's teachers who give you poor marks because they disagree with your analysis, regardless of how well-worded it is...

If anything, my problem lies in the opposite direction: I'm delighted by students who have the guts to defend a stance they know I disagree with, rather than simply parroting back what they've heard me say.  It shows me they're actually thinking.

Offline Hushblade

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »
I took a legitimate long-ass IQ test(like 6 hours) 2 or 3 years back and got something like 134 or so.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2012, 06:34:01 PM »
... If anything, my problem lies in the opposite direction: I'm delighted by students who have the guts to defend a stance they know I disagree with, rather than simply parroting back what they've heard me say.  It shows me they're actually thinking.

Well ...  :D ... I'm just gonna pat my avatar on the back, about this one.
 :birthday
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2012, 07:51:18 PM »
Dude in my freshman intro to psych, had been in the special ed classes all high school.
They told him: don't take the SATs.  He took them anyway and got about 1100.
Oops ... that's 10+ years of education system failure.
He got his degree and a good job ; and plays the organization idiot role "too" convincingly.

I mean hell ... this whole thread is about the new tiny Scion, right ?
Want to throw a few intro to SATs? No clue what is good and what sucks when it comes to those.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2012, 11:38:14 PM »
the best way to humble intelligent people is to dig up a grade school test from the 1800's. the vast majority of college students and adults will get a failing grade on it. this event was used as a case example for a number of situations at a school i was going to a while back.

here is a link for the adventurous to try, good luck on the test - closed book test, by the way.

ps: i failed when i took the one i mentioned at that school. i also got scores literally off the graph when i took some other test a while back. i figure i'm about average between the two.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:23:46 AM by nijineko »