Author Topic: Bloodfire Seeker [Base]  (Read 11194 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Bloodfire Seeker [Base]
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:24:15 PM »
Bloodfire Seeker

Alignment: Any.
Races: Any.  Hemopyrrhic dwarves in particular are drawn to Bloodfire Seeker, though no one knows why...
Abilities: Constitution makes your world go round, and any other ability score can be useful to a bloodfire seeker depending on what role you are trying to play.

Table: The Bloodfire SeekerHD: d8

Level
Base
Attack
Bonus
+1
+2
+3
+4
+5
+6/+1
+7/+2
+8/+3
+9/+4
+10/+5
+11/+6/+1
+12/+7/+2
+13/+8/+3
+14/+9/+4
+15/+10/+5
+16/+11/+6/+1
+17/+12/+7/+2
+18/+13/+8/+3
+19/+14/+9/+4
+20/+15/+10/+5

Fort
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6
+6
+7
+7
+8
+8
+9
+9
+10
+10
+11
+11
+12

Ref
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3
+3
+4
+4
+4
+5
+5
+5
+6
+6
+6

Will
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6
+6
+7
+7
+8
+8
+9
+9
+10
+10
+11
+11
+12

Rituals
Known
Rituals
Charged
Per Day

Special
Ritual casting (minor), bloodfused ritual (minor)
Expanded knowledge
Bonus feat
Bloodfire d4, bloodfused resilience
Expanded knowledge, ritual casting (least)
Bloodfused ritual (least), bonus feat
Bloodfire d6, bloodfire weapon
Expanded knowledge
Bloodfire defense, bonus feat
Bloodfire d8, improved bloodfire, ritual casting (lesser)
Bloodfused ritual (lesser), expanded knowledge
Bonus feat
Bloodfire d10, improved bloodfire weapon
Expanded knowledge
Bonus feat, improved bloodfire defense, ritual casting (greater)
Bloodfire d12, bloodfused ritual (greater), greater bloodfire
Expanded knowledge
Bonus feat
Bloodfire d20, greater bloodfire weapon
Bloodfire immolation, expanded knowledge, ritual casting (advanced)

Class Skills (4+Int modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Balance, Concentration, Climb, Craft, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Spellcraft, Spot, Tumble, and Use Magic Device.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: You are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all armor, and shields (but not tower shields).

Ritual casting: You gain the ability to cast rituals, which are magical effects similar to a spells.  You can cast any ritual you know at any time; after casting, the ritual remains "charged" until you decide to discharge it with an act of will (as a free action, unless otherwise specified), at which point the ritual takes effect.  In this way, a you can store up ritual charges until they are needed.  A ritual that is not discharged within 24 hours of its casting fades away with no effect.  The duration of your ritual effects is equal to 1 round per class level, and the caster level of your rituals is equal to your class level.  You can cast a total number of rituals per day as shown in the table above; bloodfused rituals (see below) do not count against this maximum.
    Rituals come in five flavors: minor, least, lesser, greater, and advanced.  Casting any ritual requires you to draw a diagram on a flat, solid surface with a piece of chalk or charcoal; it also requires a drop of your blood (which deals 1 point of damage for any ritual stronger than a minor ritual), and chanted words (a ritual cannot be cast while under the effect of a silence spell, for example).  The length of time it takes to cast a ritual depends on its strength: a minor ritual takes 1 minute, a least ritual takes 5 minutes, a lesser ritual takes 10 minutes, a greater ritual takes 15 minutes, and an advanced ritual takes 30 minutes to cast.  Rituals cannot be counterspelled, and you may charge the same ritual more than once.  The DC to resist the effect of any of your rituals is equal to your 10 + your Constitution modifier + a number depending on the strength of the ritual: 0 for minor, 2 for least, 4 for lesser, 6 for greater, and 8 for advanced.
   You begin play knowing two minor general rituals; every time you gain a level in this class, you learn another general ritual.  At 5th level, you can learn least rituals, you can learn lesser rituals beginning at 10th level, at 15th level you can learn greater rituals, and you can learn advanced rituals at 20th level. At 3rd level, and every three levels after, you may learn a new general ritual in place of a ritual you already know of the same level.
   You can have a maximum number of rituals charged at any time equal to your Constitution modifier.  When you reach 10th level and gain access to lesser rituals, you cannot cast a lesser ritual unless you have at least one more least ritual than lesser rituals already charged.  For example, a 10th-level bloodfire seeker with one least ritual and one lesser ritual charged must cast a second least ritual before casting a second lesser ritual.  At 15th level, when you learn how to cast greater rituals, you cannot cast a greater ritual unless you have at least one more least ritual and one more lesser ritual than greater rituals already charged.  For example, a 15th-level bloodfire seeker with one each least, lesser, and greater rituals charged could not cast another greater ritual until she had at least one more least and one more lesser ritual charged.  When you reach 20th level and are able to cast advanced rituals, you cannot cast an advanced ritual unless you have at least one more each least ritual, lesser ritual, and greater ritual than advanced rituals already charged.  For example, a 20th-level bloodfire seeker with one each least, lesser, greater, and advanced rituals charged could not cast another advanced ritual until she cast at least one more least, lesser, and greater ritual each.

Bloodfused ritual:  In addition to the normal method of ritual casting, you gain the ability to subsume a ritual into your blood.  You may perform a special ceremony which takes 8 hours and deals Constitution damage to you; if you do so, you can imbue your blood with the power of a ritual you know.  The amount of Con damage depends on the strength of the ritual: 1d2 points for a minor ritual, 1d3 for a least, 1d4 for a lesser, or 1d6 for a greater ritual.  This damage cannot be prevented or reduced in any way, or the ceremony fails.  You may only bloodfuse rituals of a strength that you could learn from this class (for example, a character with fewer than 6 levels in Bloodfire Seeker can only bloodfuse minor rituals, even if he knew stronger rituals from levels in another class).
   Once you have performed the ceremony, you gain the benefit of that ritual at all times.  You can only have one bloodfused ritual of a given strength at a time; every time you perform the ceremony, any rituals of the same strength as the new bloodfused ritual are lost.  The caster level of your bloodfused rituals is equal to your class level, and the DC to resist the effect of any of your rituals is equal to your 10 + your Intelligence modifier + a number depending on the strength of the ritual: 0 for minor, 2 for least, 4 for lesser, 6 for greater, and 8 for advanced.  If a bloodfused ritual ends for any reason (being dispelled, or ending due to the action of the ritual itself), then it resumes normal effect after 1d4 minutes.  For the purposes of ritual feats and other effects, a bloodfused ritual counts as a charged ritual.

Expanded knowledge:  At 2nd level, and every third level after, you learn one ritual from another class's list.  Rituals learned from this class feature do not count against the number of general rituals known as shown on the table; the maximum strength of rituals you can learn with this class feature is the same as the maximum strength of general rituals you can learn normally.

Bonus feat: At 3rd level, and every three levels after, you gain a bonus feat for which you meet the prerequisites; these feats must be chosen either from the list of fighter bonus feats or the list of ritual feats.

Bloodfire (Su):  Beginning at 4th level, the rituals you have fused into your blood have charged your essence with magical energy.  Anything that damages you via a melee attack from a natural or non-reach weapon takes 1d4 damage per two class levels (rounded down).  This damage is pure arcane energy and is not subject to damage reduction, or energy resistance or immunity; however, any creature damaged by your bloodfire can make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + your Constitution modifier) for half damage.  At every 3 levels after 4th, the size of the bloodfire damage die increases by 1 step, as shown on the table above.

Bloodfused resilience (Su): When you reach 4th level, you learn to redirect the energies of your bloodfused rituals towards healing your body.  At any time as a free action, you may suppress the normal effects of one of your bloodfused rituals to heal ability damage you've taken.  You heal 1 point of ability damage from the ability score of your choice for every 5 minutes you suppress a minor bloodfused ritual, every minute you suppress a least bloodfused ritual, every 5 rounds you suppress a lesser bloodfused ritual, or every round you suppress a greater bloodfused ritual.  You may resume a ritual you've suppressed in this way at any time as a free action.

Bloodfire weapon (Su):  Starting at 7th level, as a swift action you can voluntarily take 1 point of Constitution damage to imbue your weapon attacks with bloodfire for a number of rounds equal to your (new) Constitution modifier.  This Con damage cannot be reduced or prevented in any way; however, any successful weapon attacks (whether with manufactured weapons or natural attacks) you make for the duration of this ability deal additional damage equal to that granted by your bloodfire ability.  Multiple uses of this ability overlap, and do not stack.

Bloodfire defense (Su):  When you reach 9th level, as a swift action you can voluntarily take 1 point of Constitution damage to surround yourself with a protective aura of bloodfire for a number of rounds equal to your (new) Constitution modifier.  This Con damage cannot be reduced or prevented in any way; however, for the duration of the ability, you gain a +1 circumstance bonus to Armor Class per 3 class levels.  Multiple uses of this ability overlap, and do not stack.

Improved bloodfire:  At 10th level, the DC of the Fortitude save for half damage increases to 10 + 3/4 your class level (rounded down) + your Constitution modifier.

Improved bloodfire weapon (Su): Beginning at 13th level, any creature damaged by your bloodfire weapon ability must make a Fortitude save (DC equal to your bloodfire save DC) or be sickened for the remainder of the encounter.

Improved bloodfire defense:  When you reach 15th level, whenever you use your bloodfire defense class feature, you may choose to increase the Constitution damage to 3 points; if you do so, the circumstance bonus to Armor Class increases to +1 per two class levels.

Greater bloodfire:  Beginning at 16th level, the DC of the Fortitude save for half damage increases to 10 + your class level + your Constitution modifier.

Greater bloodfire weapon:  Upon reaching 19th level, any creature affected by your improved bloodfire weapon ability becomes nauseated on a failed save, and sickened on a successful save.

Bloodfire immolation:  At 20th level, you can release the arcane energy stored in your blood in a massive burst.  As a standard action, you may voluntarily take Constitution damage to deal normal bloodfire damage in a burst emanating from you.  The radius of the burst is equal to 20 feet per point of Constitution damage you take; this damage cannot be reduced or prevented in any way, or the effect fails.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:53:49 PM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Ritual Seeker [base] (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:24:27 PM »
reserved, in case.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Ritual Seeker [base] (WIP)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:24:40 PM »
Reserved, in case.  You may post.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodfire Seeker [base]
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 01:10:09 AM »
An intriguing ritual incense Artificer-ish class. Bonus feats should probably also allow Item Creation feats.

Bloodfused Ritual certainly seems like an unusual alternative to normal ritual casting. This is definitely more of a pure combatant than the Ritualist. It's going to be a bit tough to place how exactly this class will function.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:18:07 AM »
I'm sure there are a bunch of rough edges... I just had the idea last night and figured I'd put it down sans polish.  The part I'm most iffy about is whether there should be more than one bloodfused ritual per grade... what's your thought?

I'm going to add a class feature; for the bonus feat situation, I'm not sure.  As written, the craft reserve only applies to ritual incenses... I added the artificer-y part because I wanted the seeker to be able to do something with the rituals they know but aren't bloodfused.  This way they can use them, if they put the time and effort into making incenses.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 09:35:09 AM »
Should I change the bloodfire stuff to being Con based, so that the class isn't so MAD?  I agree that it's much more combat-focused, so you also need Dex and/or Str, and you already need Con...?

Offline FireInTheSky

• Honorary Mod
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
Re: Base Class: Bloodfire Seeker
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:30:05 AM »
You get 6 known Minor General Rituals, but there are only 5 Minor General Rituals on the list...

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 01:05:06 AM »
You get 6 known Minor General Rituals, but there are only 5 Minor General Rituals on the list...

What's your point?

I'll add a couple more if I can think of them.  Any suggestions?

Offline FireInTheSky

• Honorary Mod
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 01:21:15 AM »

What's your point?

There's a wasted slot.  What's the point of having that many known rituals if there aren't that many to know in the first place?

Any suggestions?

You could move one over from the Ritualist list.  Maybe Ritual of Parity or Ritual of Recovery?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 02:59:48 AM »

What's your point?

There's a wasted slot.  What's the point of having that many known rituals if there aren't that many to know in the first place?

I know... I was just being surly.  Now go to sleep!

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 09:35:54 PM »
A lot of the minor Ritualist rituals can probably go on the general list. I think a lot of them are there because the Ritualist was the only class that actually used minor rituals when they were added below least. Better check the Withblood list if you do any changes like that, since there's a bit of overlap. In fact, I think we could use some more minor rituals in general. As far as the base classes are concerned, they're kind of the basis of the entire subsystem. It's odd for them to be (or at least seem) so limited in quantity. There are only 5 general minors, compared to about a dozen each of least, lesser, and greater, I think?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 09:50:46 PM »
Yeah, agreed.  More minor rituals, go!  Lol.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 11:41:46 PM »
I like the look of this class and the rituals mechanics in general.

You need to clarify if you gain proficiency with
all simple weapons and martial weapons
or
all simple weapons and a martial weapon

Medium armor is also strange on what looks like a Paladin/Psi warrior/Soulborn type class but I guess heavy could be got in one feat anyway.

I would worry about the potential to take 15 Con damage once you get to level 16 and its effects on your ability to actually function though I assume someone in the party could heal it by that point. I would have thought the class would have some way of healing the Con damage after use, especially at low levels.

Also, still need more Minor Rituals. May I suggest a Minor version of the ability score boosting ones for +2 to stat?

Damage on bloodfire also kind of sucks. Your capstone will deal 10d8 (45) damage which averages at slightly more damage than a CL 10 fireball (35).

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:53:24 PM by littha »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 08:33:25 AM »
I like the look of this class and the rituals mechanics in general.
Thanks!

You need to clarify if you gain proficiency with
all simple weapons and martial weapons
or
all simple weapons and a martial weapon
Fixed.

Medium armor is also strange on what looks like a Paladin/Psi warrior/Soulborn type class but I guess heavy could be got in one feat anyway.
Hm... none of the ritual classes have heavy armor prof.  I'm not sure why... I guess it's my own bias against heavy armor as being crappy.  I can add in heavy armor prof without changing very much, I think.

I would worry about the potential to take 15 Con damage once you get to level 16 and its effects on your ability to actually function though I assume someone in the party could heal it by that point. I would have thought the class would have some way of healing the Con damage after use, especially at low levels.
If you can't get access to at the very least Lesser Restoration by level 16, something is wrong with your party/GM.  Either way, you can learn the Ritual of Restoration off the Redeemed list.

Also, still need more Minor Rituals. May I suggest a Minor version of the ability score boosting ones for +2 to stat?
Yes, more are inbound.  That actually already exists -- Ritual Boost, Minor.  BTW, I don't have it clearly posted anywhere at the moment, but the only up-to-date version of all the rituals is in the stickied thread.  Everything else is out of date and needs to be fixed.

Damage on bloodfire also kind of sucks. Your capstone will deal 10d8 (45) damage which averages at slightly more damage than a CL 10 fireball (35).
That... is true.  Suggestions?  Though I would compare it more to something like Arcane Strike.  You can spam bloodfire a lot more, since Bloodfire Weapon lets you drop it on your melee attacks and go to town.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »
For the capstone you might want to either multiply the number of dice by 2 or 3 (20d8 or 30d8 are more formidable) or increase the dice size (10d20 would be fun)

You probably want to clarify how the duration on Warrior Spell Ritual works with Expanded Knowledge, at the moment it seems the spell would cast, last its duration and then restart in 1d4 rounds which could be rather powerful on certain 5th level spells. Especially as there is no provision made to gp/xp costs on the spells. RAW I think because you are duplicating the effects of a spell rather than casting it you would not pay the costs. 

Same with the "Zone of..." rituals, I assume the area would stay in place where you prepared it and not follow you around.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:07:31 PM by littha »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »
For the capstone you might want to either multiply the number of dice by 2 or 3 (20d8 or 30d8 are more formidable) or increase the dice size (10d20 would be fun)
Increasing die size does sound fun.  Maybe I'll just increment die size more often.

You probably want to clarify how the duration on Warrior Spell Ritual works with Expanded Knowledge, at the moment it seems the spell would cast, last its duration and then restart in 1d4 rounds which could be rather powerful on certain 5th level spells. Especially as there is no provision made to gp/xp costs on the spells. RAW I think because you are duplicating the effects of a spell rather than casting it you would not pay the costs.
  I think the duration is pretty clear...

...the duration is determined by the duration of the ritual or the duration of the spell (for the given caster level), whichever is less.
So if the spell lasts for X rounds and the ritual nominally lasts for Y rounds and X < Y then the ritual+spell ends after X rounds.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »
This may just be the fever messing with my brain, but if you know higher level rituals from a different class (for example, Ritualist or Ritual Expert), couldn't you bloodfuse them with only a single level of Bloodfire Seeker under the current wording?

Also, with the change to the die size increases, Bloodfire Weapon has lost its damage scaling (it deals d4s regardless of level). Needs to have some text in it giving that back.

I'm going to second Littha's concerns about healing Con damage. If it's supposed to be a resource, as this class appears to treat it, having ways of getting it back easier (or having none at all, or being immune, etc.) drastically changes its balance point. See Hellfire Warlock for a classic example, except this has 20 levels of stuff instead of 3 to break or be broken with like that.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 12:17:08 AM »
Increasing die size does sound fun.  Maybe I'll just increment die size more often.

I think the duration is pretty clear...

...the duration is determined by the duration of the ritual or the duration of the spell (for the given caster level), whichever is less.
So if the spell lasts for X rounds and the ritual nominally lasts for Y rounds and X < Y then the ritual+spell ends after X rounds.

If a bloodfused ritual ends for any reason (being dispelled, or ending due to the action of the ritual itself), then it resumes normal effect after 1d4 minutes.

Combine with an instantaneous spell and you basically cast it 360~1440 times. Fabricate for example.

You are basically going to be forced to rely on another party member casting restoration on you or potions at lower levels because you can't be immune to the Con damage.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:50:17 AM by littha »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »
Oh, right.  Instantaneous spells are not valid targets for any Spell Rituals.  There's a list of valid spells here.

EDIT: OK, fixed all those problems.  More damage, no dipping for high bloodfusion, "bloodfused resiliency", and scaling damage for Bloodfire Weapon.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:25:08 AM by sirpercival »

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »
You should probably give you Bloodfused rituals. 1/tier (and only going up to Greater) is low. I can tell you from playing Sorrel that at the Minor tier I can essentially discharge all of my rituals every fight without worry, getting them back over the usual few minutes after combat spent looting or whatever. Having only 1 ritual, plus a limited few more over the course of an entire level, means a lot less even if it's permanent. But then Ritualists get permanent rituals, too, and only about 2 levels later, and it's much easier for them to change said rituals. It feels like roughly the difference between a Fighter and a Warblade.

The class table shouldn't have Adaptive Learning on it, that should be baked into the Rituals Known ability.