Author Topic: Exploring the city (In character part 1)  (Read 7302 times)

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
Exploring the city (In character part 1)
« on: July 13, 2016, 05:49:26 PM »
It was snowing outside when the courier came this morning. Nothing hard, but it was a sure sign winter was coming soon. The courier was from the crown, well dressed, bundled against the blustery winds, and all business. After confirming you were who he was sent to deliver the message to, he handed you a heavy parchment envelope and left without another word.

When you opened the envelope, the writing was near and clear, a royal scribe must have taken the king's dictation, because at the bottom of the letter was the Crown's sigil. Upon reading it, you learn you have been summoned to the golden throne, at the request of the king himself. You were to arrive at dusk.

---

It was an hour before dusk, and you needed to get going if you were going to make the appointment. Having your things, you set out through the swoon laden streets. They were crowded, but at least the snow wasn't more than a inch deep at the most.

When you arrive at the castle, you are ushered into a room, and the door is shut behind you. Other than yourself, there is only one other person present among the piles of books and tomes strewn throughout the room. Shelves and racks are full of texts surround you, covering the walls and nearly any flat surface. In some cases, books have been stacked against each other to keep from falling over, making teetering attacks far above your head. Farther into the room is the only other person present, although as you get closer, you realize it's not a human.

Standing before you, dressed in a deep purple robe is a half dragon. Humanoids in shape, but with the reptilian head, claws, and silver scales our a dragon, there is only one person this could be, the king. At the moment, he is pouring through a tome covered in dust and yellow with age, as he turns a page, you can hear the parchment crackle. The kings tongue flashes out and you can see it's fork.

Muttering a few words of arcane magic, the book glows dimly fit a moment beefier the king looks up and notices you.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Exploring the city (In character part 1)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 06:02:33 PM »
Having shaken the snow off of his cloak before entering the king's chamber, Zarkon looks immaculate as always.   Waiting until he is noticed, he bows and addresses the dragon.  "Greetings your majesty.  Derus and I received your summons and have arrived as instructed.  How may we be of assistance?"  He refers Derus in an offhand way, more like you would expect someone to refer to a servant rather than a traveling companion.

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 06:20:39 PM »
"Oh, yes, I lost all track of the time, glad to see Bahien found you all right. I've seen that you have handled yourselves well before and kept things quite, and I'm in need of a someone to perform a few tasks for me. I can pay you for your service, but unfortunately, I cannot write you a letter of marque. I can't have it brought back upon me. Tensions are too high with Thoun right now. Otherwise, I'd send a handful of the Golden Claws.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 06:36:06 PM »
Zarkon nods.  "We are happy to be of service, Thoun is no friend to me.  I doubt a letter of marque would be enough to protect me as it is.  What can we do for you?"

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 07:47:26 PM »
The dragon king scratches his chin with a clawed hand before continuing,

"Well, seeing as you are the first to respond to my request, I've give you a choice. The first: I need someone to check up on an old friend of mine, an alchemist by the name of Camthus Stoneshield. He lives and works out of a tower about the days to the east of here. Usually he contacts me a few times a week, but I haven't heard from him in a month. I'd scry on him, but he lives just on the edge of Thoun's border, and the Dark sorcerers would detect the magical intrusion. I just hope he hasn't blown himself up with his newest creation." At this, he chuckles, a throaty, hissing sound.

"As for the second, recently a young wizard of some skill was just taken from a village a little over a day away to the west. He showed promise, and was close enough to the city that I was hoping he would be safe from Thoun. From what I have gathered, he wasn't taken by Thoun soldiers though, but by a group of strange looking orges. I can't say for sure, but that's why I need you to go. I need someone ti find out if the orges are changing, especially if it's at the hands of one of the Thoun sorcerers.

With either tasks, I will pay you for your time and trouble, and not just gold either, the favor of the Crown could go a long way if you needed it."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:24:37 PM by geniussavant »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 08:40:02 PM »
After thinking for a second, Zarkon says, "A friend of yours is important, but a potential new threat to the city must be investigated.  I will look into the ogre threat and see if the wizard can be rescued."

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 09:19:49 PM »
The king reached within his robe and hands Zarkon a small pouch, heavy with coin.

"This is for any expenses along the way. If there is anything rise you require before you head out, stop by the armory before you leave. The quartermaster will be informed to let you take anything within reason."

With that, the king turns back to his tome and begins reading again, list to the world around him.

Ask the while, Derus stands silently at Zarkon's side, fitting for someone used to being a slave.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 10:35:40 PM »
Zarkon accepts the pouch with thanks and recognizes the dismissal.

He leaves, automatically assuming that Derus will follow, and heads to the quartermaster for supplies.

(click to show/hide)

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:06:25 AM »
Derus follows him back to the inn where they have been staying. The next morning the pair sets out. Leaving through the south gate, they then head west along the road. It's getting conferred out, but Zarkon and Derus are seasoned travelers and had dressed for the weather.

Around mid day, you begin to see smoke up ahead, coming roughly from where the village is at.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 11:15:59 AM »
Zarkon picks up the pace, things are more serious than he feared.  He motions to Derus to be ready in case they are attacked but leaves his own weapons where they are for the moment.

(click to show/hide)

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »
Derus nods in affirmation and checks the blade of his guirsarme.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 01:18:17 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 03:19:32 PM »
Zarkon and Derus hustle down the road, but it still takes them until late in the afternoon ti get to the village. By the time they get there, the guess have died down.

As they enter the village, the pair can tell that it wasn't just a cooking fire out of control, the village was raided early in the day. Some of the buildings are missing their thatched roofs and others have arrows stuck in the sides. Human and goblin villagers hustle to and fro with buckets of water and bandages, tending to the wounded in the remaining huts. In the middle of the village, a handful of people are gathered around a large stew pot, carrying dried vegetables, making food for everyone out of some stored rations.

A few of the villagers wave out nod as you walk by, some even offer you a spot at the community table, but most seem to be too preoccupied to talk. Eventually, you come to an old man sitting under a tree, a bandaged leg stuck out in front of him. As you approach, he sees you and stats starts talking in a friendly manner. 

"Welcome to Oakton! I'm afraid you caught us at a bad time, strangers. But you're welcome to share in what we have left. From the looks of you, y'all are adventurers. If you're of the mind, we could use some help.
See, a long time ago, the ogres from those hills over there used to raid Oakton a few times a year, but it's been years since they've attacked. And what came this morning wasn't no normal ogre either. Things looked like ogres half made of spider bits. Extra and and covered in chitin. Ain't like no ogres I've ever seen."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »
Zarkon's response is addressed to everyone who is near him, "People of Oakton, I received word of strange ogres in these lands and so I traveled here with Derus to see what aid I can offer.  I am here to put a stop to their predations and return any villagers that have been taken.  Any information that you can give me will help me to dispose of these foul creatures."'

(click to show/hide)

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 09:33:55 PM »
"Well, it's the second time they've attacked, but the first was just a small party a few weeks ago. They struck just before dawn, like this time, but they seemed focused on breaking into the wizard, Mandrake's , house.  They took him and ransacked the place. At first we thought it was just his past coming back to him. He wasn't very old, but he has a past, anyone could tell you that. Didn't talk about it much though.

This time, it was a whole hoard, maybe 50 or 60 other the damn things. Looked like some experiment gone wrong. That's why we thought it was just something Mandrake had gotten himself into. That is, until this morning. They attacked. Mostly took supplies and valuables, like any normal raiders, but they also took any books we had, even my wife's cook book."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 09:44:51 PM »
"Does anyone know where they've come from?"

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 09:56:57 PM »
"In years past, a tribe of ogres lived to the north, and these monsters carried weapons similar to theirs. That may be the best place to start if you're willing to help. As you can see, we don't have much, but they might have something worth your time.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 11:00:37 PM »
"How far to the north?"

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 11:08:53 PM »
"A good half day's hike. They didn't bother to hide there trail, but if you don't think you can follow their tracks, I could see if one of the boys could show you. They're always headed out that way to push each other into who will get closest. No matter what their parents say."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 10:26:51 AM »
Zarkon nods.  "That would be appreciated.  We're ready to head out as soon as a guide can be provided."