Author Topic: Zioth campaign PBeM is recruiting good role-players  (Read 3135 times)

Offline zioth

• Moo!
    • View Profile
    • Role-playing resources
Zioth campaign PBeM is recruiting good role-players
« on: August 17, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »
I've been running the Coming of the Zioth PBeM for the past sixteen years. Now, a new heroic group is starting up in the campaign world, as a foil to the increasingly evil group that currently exists. I'm looking for a few serious role-players and writers who are interested in a game that's probably going to be around for a long time. Here are some details to help you decide if the game is for you.

Tag line:
Welcome to a world that has nineteen years left to live. In nineteen years, on the one thousand twentieth year of the Zioth, all five moons will leave the sky for a night, and the world will be destroyed and rebuilt. But who can believe such stories in a world at its prime? Everything is normal. The strange creatures of legend are nowhere to be seen, and magic? A story to put children to sleep.

Game system:
D&D 3.5 with a smattering of house rules. We basically just use the PHB, but I'm willing to consider other materials, or even custom home-brewed classes.

Power level:
Very low-magic. Magic is basically considered a myth, though as the PCs increase in level, it’s becoming somewhat more common.

Very low treasure. The current party of two 7th-8th level characters has about 1000gp total. This isn’t a big deal, since magic items aren’t for sale, and 1000gp makes you quite rich in a mundane setting. Magic items exist, since the world was somewhat more magical in the past, but they’re very rare. Most people don't believe they ever existed except in stories.

Very slow advancement. Characters go up in level about every 10 turns, which can be anywhere from six months to two years.

Role vs Roll playing:
This is a role-playing intensive game, which values well thought-out characters and good writing. Combat is very rare, happening maybe once per real-time year on average (more often if the PCs start fights). The game is mainly mysteries, puzzle solving and political intrigue, though the last is slowly being replaced by magical mysteries.

The world is supposed to be “destroyed and rebuilt” about nineteen years from now, but no one really knows for sure what that means. That’s the central mystery of the game.

Web site:
The entirety of the game so far has been written up in prose form. Game turns. There is also extensive information about the world. New turns are better written than old turns, so read one or two of those first if you want to get a feel for the style of the game.

World creation:
I encourage (but don't require at all) player participation in the creation of the world. There are lots of regions, religions, etc that aren't well-developed because they haven't played a part in the game yet. You can make a part of the game world your own.

Speed:
While the game has been slow at times, recently, there have been multiple emails per player per day. Players are expected to be flexible when it comes to how fast the game is.

How to join:
http://zioth.com/zioth/rules/join

Offline zioth

• Moo!
    • View Profile
    • Role-playing resources
Re: Zioth campaign PBeM is recruiting good role-players
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:23:01 PM »
Just to be clear, this is a play-by-email game, not play-by-post. Feel free to ask questions over email (my address is on the web site) or in this thread.

Offline GuyFawkes

• Remember, remember, the fifth of November
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:33:46 AM »
Looks like it has been a while, but are you still accepting applications for your game?

Offline zioth

• Moo!
    • View Profile
    • Role-playing resources
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »
We have three new players, bringing the total to four for the new heroic party. I'd consider adding one more. Are you interested in joining? Any character ideas?

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 02:38:01 AM »
I am indeed interested. As for character ideas, I'm thinking about someone from the Eastern Kingdoms. Is this possible?

Offline zioth

• Moo!
    • View Profile
    • Role-playing resources
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »
Actually, one of the other new players created a character from the eastern kingdoms, and it would be really unlikely that two of them would end up in the same distant, back-water barony. :)

It's a shame, since that other player might be in the process of vanishing. I haven't heard from him in a week or so.

If you're really attached to the idea, we can work something out. The eastern kingdoms is a big place.

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 06:16:42 AM »
Ah, well, being from the Eastern Kingdom is not really important, I just kinda figured my character would be from somewhere far away.

Well, I'll just give you my character concept if it is acceptable, and if it is, to see where you could place his origin in the world.

I was thinking my character came from a shamanistic tribe with a south-east asian feel. He would be one of the successors of the tribe, sent to the barony because of a vague apocalyptic prophesy (about the coming of the Zioth). He was sent by most of the others competing for the crown who conspired to remove him from the picture.

In terms of combat abilities, the character would be an agile warrior dual-wielding daggers, and most other simple or light weapons.

Roleplay-wise, I was thinking of playing with discrimination for his being a "barbarian" or whatever they call someone from "lesser cultures" and the language gap. I imagined he would have learned enough to understand a bit about the language and the culture but still not enough that it could cause misunderstandings.

Offline zioth

• Moo!
    • View Profile
    • Role-playing resources
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »
That background works, and he actually could be from the Eastern Kingdoms, since he has a good reason to go directly to the town of Maelbourg (the prophesy). The Eastern Kingdoms isn't really a specific place. It's just, "those lands to the east that we know almost nothing about." Please keep the "southeast asian feel" a little disconnected from the real world. I do have places resembling medieval regions (Germany, France, Italy, Arabia) but I try not to make them too similar.

Let's continue this conversation over email. Take a look at the join page (http://zioth.com/zioth/rules/join) for guidelines on flushing out your character. We can work out the exact details of the prophesy.

Offline zioth

• Moo!
    • View Profile
    • Role-playing resources
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 04:49:30 PM »
We're looking for a couple more players, if anyone's interested. And Guy -- I'm ready to integrate your character, if you're still interested. Let me know!