Author Topic: Intelligent Item  (Read 19521 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Intelligent Item
« on: July 03, 2014, 09:31:58 AM »
Intelligent Item

Intelligent ItemHD: d10

Level
Base
Attack
Bonus
+0
+1
+2
+3
+3
+4
+5
+6
+6
+7
+8
+9
+9
+10
+11
+12
+12
+13
+14
+15

Fort
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3
+3
+4
+4
+4
+5
+5
+5
+6
+6
+6

Ref
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3
+3
+4
+4
+4
+5
+5
+5
+6
+6
+6

Will
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3
+3
+4
+4
+4
+5
+5
+5
+6
+6
+6

Special
Item Body, Empathy, Ego, Lesser Power
Darkvision
Speech
Comprehend Languages
Lesser Power
Read Magic
Telepathy
Greater Power
Improved Darkvision
Lesser Power
Blindsense
Greater Power
Dedicated Purpose
Greater Ego
Lesser Power
Greater Power
Bounded
Massive Ego
Virtually Indestructible
Lesser Power, Greater Power

Maneuvers
Known

Maneuvers
Readied

Stances Known

Skill Points: 2+Int mod per level (x4 at 1st level). Class Skills Appraise, Bluff, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge(any), Listen, Profession (any), Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot

Proficiencies: Itself

Features:
Item Body: The Intelligent Item loses all other racial bonuses and becomes a construct, with all of its advantages and disadvantages, except for the extra HP:
(click to show/hide)

The Intelligent item takes the shape of either a masterwork weapon, armor or shield, or a masterwork tool for two specific skills, which become class skills for it even if they weren't before. It can be further enhanced with magic as a regular weapon/armor/shield by a spellcaster, or be turned into a wondrous item or magic ring as appropriate to its original form. However, being a piece of equipment, it has no equipment slots of its own.

An Intelligent Item can take the Deceivingly Innocent Form feat if it has ever been completely soaked in the fresh blood of sentient creatures and has at least 10 Cha, ignoring the normal prerequisites of the feat. At the item's discretions, any bloodstains are gone when the feat is taken as well.

The Intelligent Item cannot move on its own in any way, and has no physical ability scores, only mental ability scores. If it takes the Deceivingly Innocent form, it counts as having 8 Str,  8 Dex and still no Con while transformed. It can use itself as the item it was before (a transformed DiF weapon could turn one of its arms into said weapon, while a transformed DiF armor would count as if wearing itself). It can ignore any feat prerequisite that demands an physical ability score, but only benefits from that feat while carried with a wielder that meets said physical ability score, or meets it while on DiF form. The Intelligent Item can grant its feats to the wielder while holded, as long as said feats are directly tied to the item. For example an intelligent item could grant Improved Shield Bash if it had it, or a weapon could grant weapon focus on itself, but not something like Power Attack, that isn't tied to any specific kind of item.

It also gains a bonus to its Nat armor equal to its highest mental ability bonus, and an equal hardness score.

Finally it gains +1 HP per HD. This bonus retroactively increases by +1 for every 5 HD of the Intelligent Item.

Empathy: At first level the Intelligent item can see and hear as a regular human, even if it has no discernible eyes, but cannot directly communicate with beings. It however can make the wielder feel urges and basic emotions, that are usually used to encourage or discourage certain courses of actions.

Ego: As a fullround action the Intelligent Item may attempt to dominate the one wielding it, forcing a Will save with DC 10+1/2+HD+highest mental stat mod. Increase the DC by 4 if the wielder isn't proficient in the item, or doesn't have any ranks on the relevant skill. If it fails, the wielder is under a Dominate effect from the Intelligent Item that lasts 1 minute. If it succeeds, the Intelligent Item cannot attempt to dominate it again for 1 minute. Anyone who has ever lost at least one Ego save against an Intelligent Item cannot willingly leave it unless the Intelligent Item says otherwise.

In addition, if not being used by anyone, the Intelligent Item can project an aura that inevitably atracts a local commoner from a common local race of equal level to appear and pick up the Intelligent Item in 1d12 days.

Finally such is the Ego of Intelligent Items that as a swift action they can project light from themselves as a Light spell. The color of the light can be any, but the decision must be made at first level and can't be changed later on.

Martial Purpose: For unknown reasons, all intelligent items have a desire for action, usually slaying or defending a certain kind of creature. The Intelligent Item chooses up to two martial schools it qualifies for. If the Intelligent Item is a weapon, it must be a discipline weapon for either school. If the Intelligent Item is a masterwork tool, the chosen skills must be the same as the chosen discipline's skills. The Intelligent Item  learns and readies maneuvers from those schools, provided they aren't of an higher level than ½ (Intelligent Item level+1).

Unlike martial Initiators, the Intelligent Item cannot use its maneuvers and stances on its own (it can't move after all). If equipped by another creature, the Intelligent Item can however guide its user to perform the maneuvers, and only the Intelligent Item spends actions. The Intelligent Item uses the physical scores of the user, and also its Bab, IL,  mental ability scores, and relevant skills and skill ranks if better than the item's own. The user must scream or whisper a fancy name in a dramatic way as part of the maneuver, which doesn't take any action on their part, besides the player needing to describe it. If the Intelligent Item initiates a stance, it overwrites any martial stance the user may be using. If the Intelligent Item is dropped, any maneuver or stance benefit it was providing end and the Intelligent Item must spend new actions to restart them. If the Intelligent item uses a maneuver that would benefit the initiator, it may choose for it to benefit the wielder instead. If the Intelligent Item knows counters that would only trigger when the initiator is attacked, it may use them if the wielder is attacked.

An Intelligent Item who has taken the Deceivingly Innocent Form Feat can use its maneuvers while in humanoid shape.

The Intelligent Item can automatically recover 3 expended maneuvers by starting to shed light with its Ego. If it was already shedding light, it must turn it “off” before being able to recover the expended maneuvers. It cannot use those recovered maneuvers until the start of its next turn.

The Intelligent can choose and prepare its readied maneuvers with 5 minutes of shining brightly without taking any other actions (or going into long expository monologues, provided it can can speak).

At 4th level, and all subsequent even-numbered level, the Intelligent Item can swap one of its older maneuvers with a new one he qualifies for from the same school.

Lesser Power: Intelligent Items usually also have fancy magic abilities. At 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th pick one of the following options. They don't provoke attacks of opportunity. Unless otherwise noticed, each can only be picked once. Save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+highest mental stat mod.

(click to show/hide)

Darkvision: At 2nd level the Intelligent Item gains Darkvision 60 feet

Speech: At 3rd level the Intelligent Item can speak, or directly communicate with the wielder by telepathy.

Comprehend Languages: At 4th level the Intelligent Item benefits from a permanent Comprehend Languages effect.

Read magic:
at 6th level the Intelligent Item benefits from a permanent Read Magic effect.

Telepathy:
At 7th level the Intelligent Item gains Telepathy 100 feet.

Greater Power: At 8th level, plus at levels 12, 16 and 20, the Intelligent Item unlocks new abilities. They don't provoke attacks of opportunity. Unless otherwise noticed, each can only be picked once. Save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+highest mental stat mod.

(click to show/hide)

Improved Darkvision:
At 9th level the Intelligent item's Darkvision increases to 120 feet.

Blindsense:
At 11th level the Intelligent Item gains Blindsense 120 feet.

Dedicated Power: At 13th level the Intelligent Item must define its purpose.

(click to show/hide)

It then picks a Dedicated Power from the following list. It can use each as a SLA 1/day, save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Highest mental stat mod. If used against a target the item wants to defeat/slay, or against a targer that harmed a creature the item wanted to defend, no uses are expended (and it can be used even if no uses were left), and increase any DCs by 2.

(click to show/hide)

Greater Ego: At 14th level the Intelligent Item gains +2 to two mental ability scores of its choice.

Bounded: At17th level the Intelligent Item can choose to bound with a certain wielder. It cannot be disarmed from said wielder, and if somehow separated, the wielder always knows where the Intelligent Item is, and the other way around as well. The Intelligent Item's DCs increase by 2 while wielded by the bounded wielder, and it allows them to re-roll any one die that involved the item per round (in the case of armor, saves can be re-rolled). The Intelligent Item can choose to bound with a new creature wielding it as a fullround action.

Massive Ego: At 18th level the Intelligent Item gains an extra +3 to two mental ability scores of its choice.

Virtually Indestructible: At 19th level even if seemingly destroyed, the Intelligent Item reforms itself in 24 hours in the nearest safe location. It takes a specific, extremely complicated ritual to destroy it once and for all, the details of which should be decided between player and DM.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Comments:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:54:17 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligent Item
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »
Yes, the intelligent item! An old favourite of mine, without a doubt. Definite fantasy staple, but certainly not one I would have expected to see. A pleasant surprise.

To start things off, the table says "Zodar". I notice that it can be repaired in a day by spending 500 gp. Should that be 500 gp per HD? And does the repairer need any special skills, or can any commoner do it? Does he need to have any original pieces of the destroyed item?

That's all that stands out to me right off the bat.

EDIT: Just noticed the ACF. Is sorcerer full-casting really balanced against the maneuvers, even with one school banned? I'm sure most sorcerers can go through their whole career without using evocation.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:50:51 PM by Rakoa »
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 07:27:51 AM »
Fixed table.

The repair thing is something that's present in every construct monster class. Since it still causes level loss, I don't think the price should be scaling. And yes, anyone can do it (supposed to be that the destroyed construct's essence grants them a guiding hand*), but they need the original pieces (wouldn't make much sense to use "repair" if you weren't working on the broken thing after all).

Made is to that the banned school for the ACF can't be Evocation. Mind you, sorcerers in particular can get wings of cover and wings of flurry from Evocation, which are pretty damn nice things. :p

*The author is not responsible if evil constructs use this to convince random commoners to rebuild them after being defeated by the party, leading to the creation of techno-cultists that plan to conquer/destroy the world.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:29:24 AM »
You've made a class to play a piece of equipment? :O

... could I get one as a cohort? : D

Oh, hey, there's a feat for that. Neat.

(or going into long expository monologues, provided it can can speak).

Amazing.

I must get a talking sword now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:33:18 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 12:23:43 PM »
Campaign idea: GMPC is a low-level adventurer. Players are intelligent items in his possession, trying to keep him alive.
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 04:17:02 PM »
Campaign idea: GMPC is a low-level adventurer. Players are intelligent items in his possession, trying to keep him alive.

:lmao   :clap

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 04:28:39 PM »
I don't think they'd be so much 'in his possession' as 'bickering over him'. And occasionally assuming control.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 07:52:48 PM »
I don't think they'd be so much 'in his possession' as 'bickering over him'. And occasionally assuming control.

So rather than "Roll initiative!" it'd be more like "Roll Will saves!" to see who gets to act for battle  :lmao

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »
I'd presume he'd listen to the instructions. Give the guy low mental stats. His gear are his best buddies and much smarter. >.> <.<

I would probably do a set of masterwork thieves' tools for the purpose of having someone that can open doors and do... something about traps. :lmao

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 08:08:11 PM »
Will Saves as an initiative check! Whoever does best gets their order out first!
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 06:56:46 AM »
The Stances on the table look wrong, 9 at 16th, 7 at 17th, 18th and 19th, and 8 at 20th.

I'm guessing it's supposed to be 8 at 16th and 9 at 17th-20th. Possibly 10 starting at 19th.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 01:16:33 PM »
Fixed stances progression.

Also, if there's genuine interest, I would be willing to run a one-shot of the party playing as the equipment of some poor NPC enslaved by your collective wills  the hero of legend, using one of the smaller adventure modulesI have laying around.

Offline Threadnaught

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 07:24:21 AM »
Fixed stances progression.

Also, if there's genuine interest, I would be willing to run a one-shot of the party playing as the equipment of some poor NPC enslaved by your collective wills  the hero of legend, using one of the smaller adventure modulesI have laying around.

I still don't like the Stance progression, but it's not my work and I can fix that feeling by making a teeny tiny modification as a DM anyway.

I'll roll up a Ring if you're doing it. How are we doing stats?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 07:51:48 AM »
I was thinking of doing a set of thieves' tools, but...

Hmm, can an Intelligent Item be youkai-forged Blades, or can it not go near Ancient Temple? Oh yeah, there's a feat to be... one sword? I don't think that fixes the issue here: most of the maneuvers want two swords. XD

Offline Threadnaught

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 03:43:56 PM »
most of the maneuvers want two swords. XD

Easy, we have at least two weapons. Which collaborate over which maneuvers they each have, or perhaps intentionally choose separate maneuvers so there are double the number of offensive maneuvers. If of course, the DM allows it to work like that.

Can I ban the top three most banned Schools? Enchantment, Evocation and Necromancy?
I want to go Sorcerer with mostly buffs and the rare nuke. Ahh hell, I'll ban any one of those Schools and never choose from any of the others. I'll just write up my sheet right now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »
most of the maneuvers want two swords. XD

Easy, we have at least two weapons. Which collaborate over which maneuvers they each have, or perhaps intentionally choose separate maneuvers so there are double the number of offensive maneuvers. If of course, the DM allows it to work like that.

Can I ban the top three most banned Schools? Enchantment, Evocation and Necromancy?
I want to go Sorcerer with mostly buffs and the rare nuke. Ahh hell, I'll ban any one of those Schools and never choose from any of the others. I'll just write up my sheet right now.

They specify Youkai-Forged Blades, so some other weapon wouldn't work unless it had the appropriate feat... which is a lot of overhead for a one-feat-to-access school.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:20:19 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 04:23:32 PM »
Is there any substantial reason an II shouldn't be allowed to have its form be a pair of linked items rather than a single item?

The class already allows armor, many types of which are composed of multiple separate pieces.

On a related note: Would an II with the form of a suit of armor be subject to its own ASF if it took the ACF?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:25:49 PM by MrRoboto »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »
Presumably as the game treats them as a single piece. This is quite distinct from a longsword and shortsword combo and the like.

Offline Threadnaught

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 04:55:08 PM »
They specify Youkai-Forged Blades, so some other weapon wouldn't work unless it had the appropriate feat... which is a lot of overhead for a one-feat-to-access school.

So two players play as weapons and they take the same Feat, but take different maneuvers.

Or just start as a pair of Swordchucks, yo.

As a Magic Ring, can I get Magic Ring properties? If so, what level do I have to be to be able to get these properties?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 05:00:26 PM »

So two players play as weapons and they take the same Feat, but take different maneuvers.

I don't think that's the purpose of the feat--it's not a likely occurrence out of 'everyone is items'. So, the inability to use many of the maneuvers is then troublesome. Just seems like an oversight caused by the maneuvers focusing on TWF and requiring the specific swords.