Author Topic: Animated Object (Awakened)  (Read 13030 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Animated Object (Awakened)
« on: September 24, 2015, 06:17:05 AM »
Animated Object, Awakened (race)

Type: As constructs, Animated Objects have the following traits, except for the extra HP:

(click to show/hide)

Object Body: Animated Objects are tiny sized. They lack limbs capable of fine manipulation. An Awakened Animated Object can speak. Animated objects can come in a variety of shapes, and thus have four humanoid equipment slots of the player's choice besides body/armor, provided the player can provide a decent explanation to why. The Animated Object can wear more magic equipment by having it crafted specifically for its shape, but said custom equipment costs double the normal market price. An Animated object may be enchanted as a magic item by another character with the proper resources. It can activate itself, but cannot take any actions on its own while being used as equipment by somebody else besides speaking and twisting (the twisting never stops, so anyone observing will find there's something strange with that piece of gear). As a fullround action the Animated Object may dislodge itself from anyone trying to wear it and end in an empty adjacent square.

An Animated Object's land speed is 40 feet and is immune to trip.

If they have actual legs, their base speed is 50 feet and can be tripped.

If they have four or more legs, their base speed is 60 feet and automatically fails Climb checks.

If they have wheels, their base speed is 80 feet but they automatically fail Climb and Jump checks.

An object made of wood or other material that floats can swim at half its land speed, but takes +50% damage from bludgeoning attacks.

A rope or similar sinuous object has a climb speed equal to half its land speed, but takes +50% damage from slashing weapons. Cannot have legs nor wheels.

A sheetlike object can fly (clumsy maneuverability) at half its normal speed but takes +50% damage from piercing attacks. Cannot have legs nor wheels. Cannot fly higher than 5 feet above the surface until it has at least 3 HD.

Ability Score Modifiers:
  Animated objects are weak in body and even weaker in mind, but whatever force animates them at least makes them fast. Animated Objects have -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Int and -2 Cha.

Artificial Innocence: An Animated Object has no survival instincts. They take hits head on and recklessly throw themselves into danger, not knowing yet how easy would it be for them to break and stop moving on their own again.

At 1st level, the Animated Object counts as a small creature when such would not be benefical for it instead of tiny. So for example they only gain +4 size bonus for hiding and +1 size bonus to attack rolls and AC, but still take -8 in grapple checks and have the carrying capacity of a tiny creature.

At 3 HD the Animated Object has learned how dangerous this world can be, and they lose this ability, counting as their own size all the time.

Slam: An Awakened Object has a Slam primary natural attack dealing 1d3 base damage for tiny size.

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:30:53 PM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Animated Object (Awakened)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 06:17:49 AM »
Animated Object, Awakened (class)

Pre-requisite:
-Animated Object base race.

Hit Dice: d10

Level
Base
Attack Bonus
Fort
Save
Ref
Save
Will
Save

Special
1st+0+0+0+0Growth, Objective Object, +2 Str
2nd+1+0+0+0 Growth, Objective Object, +1 Str
3rd+2+1+1+1Growth, Trample, +1 Str
4th+3+1+1+1 Over Object, +1 Str
5th+3+1+1+1Growth, Over Object, +1 Str
6th+4+2+2+2 Optimal Object, +1 Str
7th+5+2+2+2 Growth, Optimal Object, +1 Str
8th+6+2+2+2 Outstanding Object, +1 Str
9th+6+3+2+3 Outstanding Object, +1 Str
10th+7+3+3+3Growth, Omega Object, +1 Str

Skills: 2+Int mod, quadruple at first level, Class Skills are Balance, Bluff, Climb, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge(any), Perform, Profession (any) Swim

Proficiencies: Its own natural weapons.

Features:

Growth: The Animated Object grows to small at level 1, medium at level  2, large at level 3, huge at level 5, gargantuan at level 7 and colosal at level 10. It gains a Natural Armor bonus equal to its Str mod (minimum +1) plus another +1 for each size category it grows. This can be either the object literally becoming bigger, or transforming into another related object (for example a chair turning into a table). The Animated Object can choose to skip any of those growths to instead gain +2 to Dex or Str, but doesn't gain the +1 Nat armor in that case.

Objective Object: The Animated Object gains +1 HP per HD, plus another at 5 HD and every 5 HD thereafter. At first and second level pick two of the following options. None may be picked more than once unless noted otherwise.

(click to show/hide)

Ability Score Increase:
The Animated Object gains +2 Str at first level and +1 Str at each other level.

Trample:
At 3rd level the Animated Object can traple creatures two or more sizes smaller than itself, dealing damage equal to its Slam damage+1,5 Str mod. Opponents who do not make attacks of opportunity can attempt a Reflex save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Str mod to half the damage.

Over Object: At 4th and 5th level pick one of the following options, or two from Objective Object. None may be taken more than once unless noted otherwise.

(click to show/hide)

Optimal Object: At 6th and 7th level pick one of the following options or two from  Over Object. None may be taken more than once unless noted otherwise.

(click to show/hide)

Outstanding Object: At 8th and 9th level pick one of the following options, or two from Optimal Object.
(click to show/hide)

Omega Object: At 10th level pick one of the following options, or two from Outstanding object. None may be taken more than once unless noted otherwise.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:30:20 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Re: Animated Object (Awakened) WIP
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 07:17:27 PM »
I think the core issue is that the object can be pretty much anything. Book, weapon, treasure chest, musical instrument, house, boat, weird contraption...
When it grows... should it still be the same object, but bigger? Broom -> big broom, or should it become a bigger, different object? Boat -> Hut
Or both options being possible.

It could have a hand for fine manipulation if it was a glove/gauntlet and could even wear equipment normally if it was a statue.
Hardness could be solved by having something standard linked to HD. As for the material it is made from, it could be linked to a class ability selection. Same goes with being a masterwork item and such.

I also agree that some objects are more vulnerable than others though extra % is probably too harsh for a move speed. Maybe additional static damage or simply a reduced base hardness. Or those move speeds being part of a class feature selection. Maybe with the type of object being a requirement to avoid objects with abilities that do not fit what the object should be able to accomplish.

Thanks for taking this one on!

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 02:44:50 AM »
Ok, first draft of abilities is on, still need to work on the table and probably typos as hell. Also want to add some Pure Crafting goodies but I'm in an hurry right now.

Put in growth clarifications and one of the first level abilities allows to remove any racial vulnerabilities you picked up.

To avoid overlap with the Intelligent Item, focused on physical abilities. Also some holy casting since it's from a divine spell and stuff.

I guess a glove could hold stuff, but then wouldn't have any way to actually lift that sword.

If you want to play a humanoid statue, then just play a golem. (note to self: make stone/clay golem classes).

EDIT: Also want to add better flying/swimming options and others that directly improve the base racial abilities.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 01:43:39 PM »
Thoughts so far
(click to show/hide)

Suggestions
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:50:34 PM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 04:30:28 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Will comment on the suggestions later today, gotta leave now! Commented.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:43:36 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 11:47:10 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
Re: Animated Object (Awakened)
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 04:36:53 PM »
Pretty awesome idea, and pretty awesome class.  Thoughts below.

Skills --> I'd also allow 1 or 2 additional class skills that have to make sense given the objects shape.  These skills can change when the object gets a new shape via growth.

Growth --> Cool.  Can Titanic creature be updated so that you don't have to "eat" and an Animated Object could qualify?  I have this image of playing an animated floating Castle ...  Also, Note that at level 10, you have +10 to Str, 7 BAB.  Assuming total strength 30, then to-hit is +17.  Colossal Size --> -8 for a total to-hit of +9.  Not so great at 10th level for a Bruiser ... make "Elegant" almost Mandatory at higher levels.  (Which is fine ... you have lots of picks).

Objective Object --> given that abilities are broken up and there are many flaws to be removed, 2 seems fine.
(click to show/hide)

Over Object: Granting 3 of the below level seems a bit much ... overall, these abilities are about equally powerful (compared to bardic music, 1/hr of each domain spell, flight via "Custom", etc.)

(click to show/hide)

Optimal Object:
(click to show/hide)

Outstanding Object:
(click to show/hide)

Omega Object
* The scaling of picks is a bit funny ... 1 omega object = 2 Outstanding Object = 4 Optimal Object = 8 Over object = 24 Objective Object.  Effectively, you have 24+24+12+6+4 = 70 objective object picks.  It isn't really balanced ... spend 1 outstanding object pick and get 12 objective object picks ... just too strong.
* The capstone Omega Object doesn't scale ... no way to become a better pure metal or get better robotic weapons, etc.  You get 10th level abilities that can't improve beyond 10th ... I'd say if you pick one of these, then you have some way of having the abilities continue to improve.  It may cost feat(s) or you may get it for free.
* Can you use the feat to get extra abilities?
(click to show/hide)

P.S.  I imagine it would be fun to have various prestige classes ... play a mob of animated objects, play a hive-mind, somehow become a mini-mechanus (with titanic creature and extra levels of growth) ...

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 07:38:43 AM »
@Osle:

(click to show/hide)

--------------------------------------

@DavidWL

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:14:42 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 12:55:26 AM »
Thanks for all the critiques!

(click to show/hide)

Pretty awesome idea, and pretty awesome class.  Thoughts below.

Skills --> I'd also allow 1 or 2 additional class skills that have to make sense given the objects shape.  These skills can change when the object gets a new shape via growth.
I would like something like that, I would really do. But the Animated Object already has Profession and Craft and Profession as class skills, so let's not fool ourselves, every Animated Object would end as some UMD/Tumble item. Nobody would play a simple broom or teap cup, and that would be a failure.

Growth --> Cool.  Can Titanic creature be updated so that you don't have to "eat" and an Animated Object could qualify? 
Titanic Creature only has to eat a lot. It doesn't actually needs to eat to survive to qualify. Just ramming food down a hole and crushing it somehow will do. :smirk

I have this image of playing an animated floating Castle ...  Also, Note that at level 10, you have +10 to Str, 7 BAB.  Assuming total strength 30, then to-hit is +17.  Colossal Size --> -8 for a total to-hit of +9.  Not so great at 10th level for a Bruiser ... make "Elegant" almost Mandatory at higher levels.  (Which is fine ... you have lots of picks).
Yeah, plus you can grab extra Str boosts and whatnot.

Objective Object --> given that abilities are broken up and there are many flaws to be removed, 2 seems fine.

Blind + Capturing + Constrict --> Pretty boss grappler, but fine (It's 3 picks)

Elegant -> Nice ability ... better than it looks, since at level 10 you're Colossal --> this is like +4 AC, +4 to attack, +4 to hide. 

Hard -> nice.  Perhaps there should also be an ability that allows DR to stack with hardness?  Seems clunky to have DR from other sources and hardness here.  Specifically, if you have an abilty that says +3 DR, it would be nice to be able to count that as hardness.
I believe that hardness and DR already stack, since they're two different abilities. You count both when appliable.

Impressive -> why not intimidate?
Because Intimidate already auto-scales with size.

Instrument -> cool and powerful.  Maybe worth more than just 1 pick of objective object. 
Done, since I couldn't think of a proper way to split it.

Religious Relic -> cool and powerful.  Eventually this means that you can cast Miracle 1/hour.  I like the domain focus (and maybe you should be able to pick this multiple times for multiple domains) but probably should cost more than 1 objective object pick. (which is about 1/48th of your total resources ...)
Made it costs two picks as well, and removed the auto-scaling, moving it to the higher level abilities.

Animated Arsenal / Custom -> can give regeneration, which is pretty vital, given that you can't heal.

Pure Construction -> nice. 

Over Object: Granting 3 of the below level seems a bit much ... overall, these abilities are about equally powerful (compared to bardic music, 1/hr of each domain spell, flight via "Custom", etc.)
Would you still say that after the above nerfs?

Artificial Soul - Do the spirit points stack as well?  Good ability.
Yes.

Carrier - Nice (free movement for allies) + ignore terrain.

Dangerous Container - Cool ... a dragon-like animated object.

Flying - Strictly worse than 1 pick of Custom, which gives "Gravity Engine".  That needs to be weaker or this stronger.
Custom can no longer select Gravity Engine.

Sacred Relic - doesn't seem that good ... you can already cast level appropraite domain spell.  Any 1 2nd level spell is nice, but doesn't scale as well as other abilties, and 1/minute 1st level spell isn't enough to spam and be special.  I think this should be buffed a little bit.
Added one at-will cleric 0th level spell

Shrugg Off - Nice.

Optimal Object:

Fantastic Clean Up - a cool & flavorful chain of abilites.  Nice.

Guardian - Nice

Greater Flying - About the same as good as the "Objective Object" Custom ability "Gravity Engine".  Less good than Gravity Engine + Transform (Fighter).  That needs to be weaker or this stronger.
Also removed the Transform(Fighter) from the Custom options.

Holy Relic - 1st level domain at will is pretty cool + any 3rd level cleric.  Seems good to me.  Once again, some way to pick these multiple times (and scaling better) so you can be a weird substitute cleric would be fun.
Hmm, will think about that, sounds like an interesting suggestion.

Pocket Dimension - Cool

Outstanding Object:
Divine Relic-I think you mean to say 4th level cleric spell 1/day.
Ups, yes, fixed.

Outlast - Nice

Supreme Flying - Once again ... need to update someone to make balanced with Custom options
As above, limited custom options.

Omega Object
* The scaling of picks is a bit funny ... 1 omega object = 2 Outstanding Object = 4 Optimal Object = 8 Over object = 24 Objective Object.  Effectively, you have 24+24+12+6+4 = 70 objective object picks.  It isn't really balanced ... spend 1 outstanding object pick and get 12 objective object picks ... just too strong.
Well, could you give an example of "worst case scenario"? I'm not even sure you can pick 70 Objective picks.

* The capstone Omega Object doesn't scale ... no way to become a better pure metal or get better robotic weapons, etc.  You get 10th level abilities that can't improve beyond 10th ... I'd say if you pick one of these, then you have some way of having the abilities continue to improve.  It may cost feat(s) or you may get it for free.
Nice ideas, wil also think about them. Not free tough, the higher level Arsenal and pure crafting are pretty powerful.

Probably will make it so, unless you show me that there's some crazy stacking potential. Probably like the Titanic creature where you need all levels before you can grab the feat for that. Or custom feats like the Paragon, so you only get one Omega Object ability.

Godly Relic - Nice.  The once/minute & at-will is interesting with things like the oracle domain, spell domain, etc.

Identified Flying Object - Nice ability.  Perhaps water it down a little bit and make it an outstanding object pick? (2x speed?).  Or also add that you get flyby attack as a feat as well?
Adds Flyby attack now.

Animation Projection - This basically allows you to body jump, correct?  Note that really any object up to collosal should be fair game because you have to be 10th level to take this ...
Yes. Kinda crazy, but doesn't actually make you fight better, and you'll be skipping the other Omega Object abilities.

Secret Construction - cool.

P.S.  I imagine it would be fun to have various prestige classes ... play a mob of animated objects, play a hive-mind, somehow become a mini-mechanus (with titanic creature and extra levels of growth) ...
Gah, more work for me!  :P

Really hungry right now, will answer to Anomander's second post later. Replied to all of Anomander's comments now.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:35:26 AM by oslecamo »

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 03:49:31 AM »
Would you still say that after the above nerfs?

Better now.

Sacred Relic - doesn't seem that good ... you can already cast level appropraite domain spell.  Any 1 2nd level spell is nice, but doesn't scale as well as other abilties, and 1/minute 1st level spell isn't enough to spam and be special.  I think this should be buffed a little bit.
Added one at-will cleric 0th level spell
Good change.  Adds a touch of the saint, which is fitting.

Holy Relic - 1st level domain at will is pretty cool + any 3rd level cleric.  Seems good to me.  Once again, some way to pick these multiple times (and scaling better) so you can be a weird substitute cleric would be fun.

I'm tempted to say, "just allow it to be picked multiple times for multiple domains".  Frankly, the benefit of the 2nd is less than the first, etc. so I think it should be balanced. 

Omega Object
Well, could you give an example of "worst case scenario"? I'm not even sure you can pick 70 Objective picks.
For example:  1 choice from optimal object = 12 objective object
= Blind, Capturing, Constrict, Hard, Hazardous, Instrument, War Machine, 4x choices from Custom (8 points) --> Power, Rending, Pinning, Plating*2
--> Amazing Grappler, Tougher, Level equivalent Bard, Very dangerous in melee. 

No one thing is too powerful, but it seems too much to get for 1 pick at 8th level ...

Nice ideas, will also think about them. Not free tough, the higher level Arsenal and pure crafting are pretty powerful.

I'm tempted to say that any class that progresses manifestor level, can progress pure crafting or robotic weaopns instead.  Any class that progresses arcane or divine casting can progress the wonky domain spontaneity instead.  Something like that.  Then there is a cost which means something.

Probably will make it so, unless you show me that there's some crazy stacking potential.

Seems fine to me.  The only thing to be careful with is how many lower-level abilities can be selected (example above).

Best
David

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 03:31:26 AM »

I'm tempted to say, "just allow it to be picked multiple times for multiple domains".  Frankly, the benefit of the 2nd is less than the first, etc. so I think it should be balanced. 
The problem is more that I'll need to change the wording of all the upper options, otherwise it'll get silly pretty quickly at high levels as each relic option chain suddenly gives you a crapload of new spells per hour.

Or I could put all the wording for that in the first level ability I guess, done.

Omega Object
For example:  1 choice from optimal object = 12 objective object
= Blind, Capturing, Constrict, Hard, Hazardous, Instrument, War Machine, 4x choices from Custom (8 points) --> Power, Rending, Pinning, Plating*2
--> Amazing Grappler, Tougher, Level equivalent Bard, Very dangerous in melee. 

No one thing is too powerful, but it seems too much to get for 1 pick at 8th level ...
In that specific case, you would need to skip several picks for Clever Construction, as Blind, Constrict, Hard and Instrument are all kinda self-contradictory for a single object. You can't just cherry-pick abilities willy nilly claiming "I'm a sheetlike cordlike musical instrument that happens to be very hard".

Nice ideas, will also think about them. Not free tough, the higher level Arsenal and pure crafting are pretty powerful.

I'm tempted to say that any class that progresses manifestor level, can progress pure crafting or robotic weaopns instead.  Any class that progresses arcane or divine casting can progress the wonky domain spontaneity instead.  Something like that.  Then there is a cost which means something.
Now that you mention it, arsenal is already progressed by multiclassing as Moon Vanguard, so that one's covered.

Added custom spellcasting progression to Godly Relic if you take a divine casting prc.

Made pure metal progress with fighter levels.

Probably will make it so, unless you show me that there's some crazy stacking potential.

Seems fine to me.  The only thing to be careful with is how many lower-level abilities can be selected (example above).

Best
David

Added custom feats to pick more options, each of them demand that you actually have picked the higher tier of abilities without swapping plus the previous feats.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 05:01:03 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
In that specific case, you would need to skip several picks for Clever Construction, as Blind, Constrict, Hard and Instrument are all kinda self-contradictory for a single object. You can't just cherry-pick abilities willy nilly claiming "I'm a sheetlike cordlike musical instrument that happens to be very hard".

If you are a giant implement of war:
Capturing, Hard, Hazardous, War Machine, 3x choices from Custom (6 points) --> Power, Rending, Pinning
+ Clever Construction*2, --> Blind, Instrument

However, I think this is probably ok ... a bit strong, but with the way you've worked the "extra ability" feats, this will be limited, as the top choices are very limited.  Maybe make Instrument an Over-Object ability.

Other Things:

Pure Construction -> Fighter is now pretty cool - I like it.

Ancestral Relic is a cool good pick

Heretic of the Faith or Customize Domain become very interesting feats if you go the caster route ...

I'd say if you have 2 picks from Divine Relic, then Godly Relic should advance both.  It takes a lot of investment to get 2 picks ...

Shrug Off chain --> Pretty cool.  Keeps on going.  Can ignore most effects after 1 round, *3 HP. 

Animation Projection --> Very cool.  Probably only really worth it because you can change your other abilities, but that is pretty cool. 

If going the caster or stealth route ... maybe --> Custom (Miniaturization) & "Elegant" for fine size & bypass growth 6 times.  I think this is cool, but cost is perhaps too cheap to ... maybe make "Elegant" an Over Object pick?  Also make the bardic music an over object pick?

Amusingly, bypassing growth 6 times means +12 to Str ... +21 to Str in 10 levels.  Given the disadvantages of such tiny size, probably ok.  Would probably make a great "other" killer gnome (Confound the Big Folk, Underfoot Combat, Giantbane).  This does make for great DCs, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Best,
David

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 01:47:06 AM »
(click to show/hide)

If you are a giant implement of war:
Capturing, Hard, Hazardous, War Machine, 3x choices from Custom (6 points) --> Power, Rending, Pinning
+ Clever Construction*2, --> Blind, Instrument

However, I think this is probably ok ... a bit strong, but with the way you've worked the "extra ability" feats, this will be limited, as the top choices are very limited.  Maybe make Instrument an Over-Object ability.
Hmmm, I really wanted to allow to play an animated Music Instrument from the 1st level. Is Bardic Music really that good? The Animated Object won't be gaining anything else at 1st level if they go for that after all.

Other Things:

Pure Construction -> Fighter is now pretty cool - I like it.

Ancestral Relic is a cool good pick

Heretic of the Faith or Customize Domain become very interesting feats if you go the caster route ...

I'd say if you have 2 picks from Divine Relic, then Godly Relic should advance both.  It takes a lot of investment to get 2 picks ...
Yes, but then you're gaining a bunch of at-will spells and you're already a tougher warlock.

Shrug Off chain --> Pretty cool.  Keeps on going.  Can ignore most effects after 1 round, *3 HP. 

Animation Projection --> Very cool.  Probably only really worth it because you can change your other abilities, but that is pretty cool. 

If going the caster or stealth route ... maybe --> Custom (Miniaturization) & "Elegant" for fine size & bypass growth 6 times.  I think this is cool, but cost is perhaps too cheap to ... maybe make "Elegant" an Over Object pick?  Also make the bardic music an over object pick?
You'll get some big numbers in some stuff, but I don't see anything particularly OP about it.

Amusingly, bypassing growth 6 times means +12 to Str ... +21 to Str in 10 levels.  Given the disadvantages of such tiny size, probably ok.  Would probably make a great "other" killer gnome (Confound the Big Folk, Underfoot Combat, Giantbane).  This does make for great DCs, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Best,
David
Yeah, you would have some very nice stats, but not a lot to do with them.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 03:25:18 AM »
PURE CONSTRUCTION -->

Pure Metal items cannot be further enanched or changed by any kind of magic or special crafting methods. They have double the hardness and HP of their normal counterparts and their break DCs are 5 bigger than normal. Anyone equiped with a pure metal item cannot cast spells/powers/SLAs  or similar, neither activate spell-trigger items such as scrolls and wands or similar as dorjes.

Pure Metal weapons automatically deal  damage as if they were one size category bigger and don't automatically miss on a Natural 1, and add your Bab to damage. Armor/shield spikes and similar can't be made into pure metal weapons, as the fact they make part of another object prevents the crafter or wielder from using them to their true potential.

Pure Metal Armors/Shields automatically grant you hardness equal to ½ its AC bonus and half their armor/shield bonus count towards your touch AC, add half your Bab to their respective AC bonus, stacking one suit of armor and one shield.

Does all of that apply?  No magic use (even with relic picks?).  No further enchantment?  What about previous enchantment?  Are continuous enchantments also forbidden?

Double Hardness and HP?  Does this happen after or before the Hardness from the armor/shield is applied?

What is the AC bonus of the armor/shield?  Is this just your NA?

Hmmm, I really wanted to allow to play an animated Music Instrument from the 1st level. Is Bardic Music really that good? The Animated Object won't be gaining anything else at 1st level if they go for that after all.

Then leave Bardic music at 2 - that's fine.

What about updating 1 Over Object --> 2 Objective Object?   I think that is the source of the problem ...

I don't see any real harm in having levels 4/5 give the same # of good things as levels 1/2...

-->
Yes, but then you're gaining a bunch of at-will spells and you're already a tougher warlock.

Saying you shouldn't step on the Warlock's toes is almost as bad as saying you shouldn't step on the fighter's toes ...

It is (by far) the worst of the caster's.  Not even tier 3 (and you have to try hard to get a caster to be teir 4!).  And I'd argue that an optimized fighter is (significantly) better than an optimized warlock.  And the Warlock still has tricks that this doesn't (10 on UMD + artificer-like crafting, Eldritch Blast). 

fine size --> You'll get some big numbers in some stuff, but I don't see anything particularly OP about it.

It doesn't come online until 3rd level, because of "Artificial Innocence".  However, at that point you become fine sized, giving +8 to ACH, +8 to attack, +16 to hide (for the cost of 1.5 objective object abilities.  Assuming you are playing a caster or an "other killer gnome", that is pretty strong for a pretty low cost.  That's roughly equal to 16 upgrade points (Targeter *8 + Agility *8).  You are smaller, which is bad, but only bad for some builds...

Regardless, the class is very cool and I don't have a lot of constructive critiquing left.  I'll hopefully post some builds over the next week or so.

Best,
David
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:02:17 AM by DavidWL »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 04:26:15 AM »

Then leave Bardic music at 2 - that's fine.

What about updating 1 Over Object --> 2 Objective Object?   I think that is the source of the problem ...

I don't see any real harm in having levels 4/5 give the same # of good things as levels 1/2...
Hmmm, ok, reduced the swap ratio.

-->

Saying you shouldn't step on the Warlock's toes is almost as bad as saying you shouldn't step on the fighter's toes ...

It is (by far) the worst of the caster's.  Not even tier 3 (and you have to try hard to get a caster to be teir 4!).  And I'd argue that an optimized fighter is (significantly) better than an optimized warlock.  And the Warlock still has tricks that this doesn't (10 on UMD + artificer-like crafting, Eldritch Blast). 
Actually, what I meant to say is that the domain AO already looks better than a warlock to me.

(click to show/hide)

So the warlock may get some extra tricks besides his invocations, but the AO is packing more HP (unless the warlock somehow gets), Initiative, AC, much better DCs, plus construct immunities, and whatever domain special base ability there is. At level 10 they have the same number of at-wills, but the AO has several more 1/minute and 1/hour.

The list of invocations is also a lot more limited than the list of domains. And the Animated Object can also cherry pick any 5th level or lower cleric spell to improvise.

But then there's also the problem that the AO keeps scaling. Take some divine Prc and you eventually have miracle 1/minute along a 8th-5th at will besides the at-wills you had at level 10.You're 1 at-will shy of the warlock, but you also grabbed whatever extra goodies your divine prc granted and 1/minute is still good enough to be dropped basically every battle. If godly relic progressed two domains, you would end with two 9th level spells you can drop every battle with no worries and 16 other at-will spells and personally that's too much at-will for my tastes.

As for who the worst official "caster" class is, truenamer, shadowcaster and healer would like a word with you. :p

fine size --> You'll get some big numbers in some stuff, but I don't see anything particularly OP about it.

It doesn't come online until 3rd level, because of "Artificial Innocence".  However, at that point you become fine sized, giving +8 to ACH, +8 to attack, +16 to hide (for the cost of 1.5 objective object abilities.  Assuming you are playing a caster or an "other killer gnome", that is pretty strong for a pretty low cost.  That's roughly equal to 16 upgrade points (Targeter *8 + Agility *8).  You are smaller, which is bad, but only bad for some builds...
Well, it may "only" cost 1,5 objective abilities, but that's still enough to delay whatever caster class you wanted to take.

Also notice you need PL 4 to take Miniaturization for the first time, meaning you can't pull it off at 3rd level, and then you'll have to swap abilities at 4th level which in turn will delay being able to pick the feats and make it impossible to pick the last.

Regardless, the class is very cool and I don't have a lot of constructive critiquing left.  I'll hopefully post some builds over the next week or so.

Best,
David

Looking forward to that! Glad this one is turning out popular! :D

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 04:08:42 AM »
War Machine- The Animated Object learns one maneuver and stance from Burning Justice, Gun Maniac, Internet Explorer, Into the Danger Zone or Ace Pilot. It does not need to ready it, instead having 10 energy per Animated Object level and recovering 10% of its max energy per round. Its PL is equal to its Animated Object level. If it multiclasses as Moon Vanguard it can combine its own energy reserve to its nanoarmor and both classes will stack for calculating PL. This stacking applies only to the Moon Vanguard class in specific.

PL also calculates what real robot is available (for example) ... is that intended?

Best
David

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 06:36:44 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 05:38:06 AM »
War Machine- The Animated Object learns one maneuver and stance from Burning Justice, Gun Maniac, Internet Explorer, Into the Danger Zone or Ace Pilot. It does not need to ready it, instead having 10 energy per Animated Object level and recovering 10% of its max energy per round. Its PL is equal to its Animated Object level. If it multiclasses as Moon Vanguard it can combine its own energy reserve to its nanoarmor and both classes will stack for calculating PL. This stacking applies only to the Moon Vanguard class in specific.

PL also calculates what real robot is available (for example) ... is that intended?

Best
David
That was a typo in the Moon vanguard, she's not supposed to use pilot level to determine what mechas she has access to, she uses Moon Vanguard level to calculate how much Real Pilot and Super Robot levels she has. Fixed on the Moon Vanguard.

(click to show/hide)