• Administrator
    • View Profile
Genasi
« on: July 05, 2016, 03:15:23 PM »
Genasi

HD: d8

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1 +0 +0 +2 Elemental Body, Elemental Heritage, Elemental Dominion

Skills Points at Each Level: (4 + Int Modifier)
Class Skills: The Genasi's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Bluff, (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Move Silently (Dex), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

Proficiencies: Genasi are proficient with simple and martial weapons and light armor.

Genasi Class Features:

Elemental Body (Ex): Genasi lose all other racial bonuses and become Outsiders gaining all racial traits of that type (primarily Darkvision 60 feet), also gaining the Native subtype.  They are Medium sized with a base speed of 30 feet.

Elemental Heritage (Ex): A genasi is either an Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Genasi, or Water Genasi and once chosen its elemental heritage cannot be changed.  When a heritage is chosen, gain all benefits listed for it.  Each heritage also has an associated saving throw that increases to the Good Progression to match their Will save.

In addition, a genasi gains +1 on all saving throws against spells/effects with the chosen heritgate (Air, Earth, Fire, Water).  This bonus increases by +1 per 5 HD.

(click to show/hide)

Elemental Dominion (Sp): Genasi gain a number of Elemental Points equal to 1 point / HD.  These points can be used to cast spells from the Cleric domain associated with their Elemental Heritage (Air, Earth, Fire, Water).  The genasi can choose any spell from that domain and spend a number of points equal to (2 * spell level) - 1 to cast it as a spell-like ability (the genasi cannot spend more points than it has remaining).  Elemental points refresh at the beginning of each day.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Genasi
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 03:15:58 PM »
In progress, still sorting out the Elemental Heritages including fixing the stats (currently listed are what's in the books minus the penalties).

Edit: Okay, almost done. 

Control Flame for the fire genasi is straight out of the book but really weak.  Contemplating replacing it with Produce Flame as a SLA.

Skills are a combined list of all four plus appropriate (Sense Motive to go with the other social sklls, listen to go with spot).

For stats I'm thinking: Air (+2 Dex), Earth (+2 Str), Fire (+2 Int), and Water (+2 Con) as that will closest match the source material but I'm really on the fence here.

Earth and Fire genasi didn't get an ability to match Air's breathless and Water's water breathing + swim so I took a page from the elemental race section of UA.  Earth now gets Stability and Fire gets fire resistance. 

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 05:04:34 PM »
If you're worried about it, take a page from Neverwinter Nights 2. Fire Genasi got a 1/day Body of the Sun-type effect (deal fire damage to nearby creatures every round for a few rounds). Might want to normalize the different options a little more so they're all at a 1st-level SLA or a lower-end 2nd-level SLA. Create Water is a cantrip, while Levitate is a 2nd-level spell. You can probably do alright if some of the Genasi have a 2nd-level spell and some have only a 1st-level spell, but one that is more useful than average for its level.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
I agree that the abilties need to be normalized more, Create Water is pretty crappy.  I hadn't even thought about changing it but it needs to be buffed.

I want to stick with SLAs though, easier to manage and balance than custom abilities when I'm working with a class that has four choices.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 05:21:16 PM »
Body of the Sun is a spell. The Spell Compendium version is a 2nd-level spell that deals 1d4 damage/2 levels/round to everyone within 5 feet of you for 1 round/level (Reflex half). Just slap a minimum CL 2nd (or something like that) on the SLA so it actually does anything at 1st-level.

For Water Genasi, you could replace it with Obscuring Mist or Fog Cloud (also taken from NWN's implementation).

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 06:08:08 PM »
What about basing the SLAs off of the elemental domains?

Air gets Obscuring Mist, Earth gets Magic Stone, Fire gets Burning Hands, and Water gets Obscuring Mist?

Hmm, doubling up seems shitty.

Ohh, okay, how about this to replace the SLA section as another class ability.  (I would also remove the part restricting your choice of domains, and this will help match the scaling that Aasimar and Tieflings have.)

Elemental Dominion (Sp): Genasi gain a number of Elemental Points that can be used to cast spells of the element chosen for their Elemental Heritage.  They gain 1 elemental point / HD that can be used to cast spells from the Cleric domain associated with their Elemental Heritage as a spell-like ability.  Casting a spell costs a number of points equal to (2 * spell level) - 1.  Elemental points refresh at the beginning of each day.

This way you aren't stuck with junky spell-like abilities at high level, but you're still pretty much as 1/day unless you want to cast your lower level ones, and you get the same progression as a cleric for casting the domain spells.

Offline Stricture

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 08:40:35 PM »
I like that better than restricting your domain.

How about the ability to boost spells with your elemental descriptor? Fire Genesai could boost the CL of spells with the fire descriptor up to 1+HD/4 levels. With a cost of 1 point per CL and a supply of 1 point per HD.

Maybe Animate Water as an SLA?

EDIT:
Wave Blessing and Sink

As a sort of Sink or Swim package. Two SLA but rather situational.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:44:35 PM by Stricture »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 08:55:45 PM »
If I go with the domain SLA option I'll just be sticking with the spells on the domain list instead of trying to come up with balanced new spells to add to each character.

I'm on the fence about CL boosting, if it went in it would use the same points as the SLAs.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 05:45:02 PM »
Elemental Dominion added, domain restriction removed.

I'm concerned that if I add more abilities the genasi will end up overpowering the Aasimar/Tiefling.

I still am not sure how to deal with the stat bonuses...

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 08:48:41 PM »
I'd pare it down to +2 to a single ability score. That or up it to +2 to two ability scores for all of them. Given that this is still taking up your race choice, in addition to a level, you can probably get away with +2 to two stats (maybe add Wis for water and Cha for fire). The comparison points of Aasimar and Tiefling look to have stronger SLAs at a glance.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 08:54:35 PM »
I'd pare it down to +2 to a single ability score. That or up it to +2 to two ability scores for all of them. Given that this is still taking up your race choice, in addition to a level, you can probably get away with +2 to two stats (maybe add Wis for water and Cha for fire). The comparison points of Aasimar and Tiefling look to have stronger SLAs at a glance.

Right now what's listed is the base stats per the book, I know that they're not good.

So you're thinking: Air (+2 Dex, +2 Int), Earth (+2 Str, +2 Con), Fire (+2 Int, +2 Cha), Water (+2 Con, +2 Wis)?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 09:40:18 PM »
Something like that.

I may not be the best person to ask about balance for these classes. I don't have a good sense of the general balance point for Oslecamo-type Monster Classes.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 03:24:02 AM »
If you give a total of +4 to stats at first level, it easily overshadows the elemental abilities and this becomes a stat boost dip instead of an elemental planetouched class.

Besides other classes around here don't get better than +2 total stats at first level unless there's a significant drawback.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 10:35:02 AM »
If you give a total of +4 to stats at first level, it easily overshadows the elemental abilities and this becomes a stat boost dip instead of an elemental planetouched class.

Besides other classes around here don't get better than +2 total stats at first level unless there's a significant drawback.

:blush I forgot about the stats of Aasimar/Tiefling which I was trying to balance this against.

How about this?
Air (+2 Dex or +2 Int), Earth (+2 Str or +2 Con), Fire (+2 Int or +2 Cha), Water (+2 Con or +2 Wis)?

Or would it be better for each to get a specified stat, no options?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 12:32:19 PM »
Any advice on the stats?  I think we're done except for that (unless anyone thinks otherwise).

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 08:14:14 AM »
Your suggestions of stats seem good.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 12:03:15 PM »
Your suggestions of stats seem good.

Stats implemented.  I can't think of anything else to adjust.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 08:06:07 AM »
So I was gonna add this to the index when I noticed there was already a version. Done by me. Hahaha, my bad not cleaning it from the request list...

Well added this anyway, no sense letting your hard work go to haste. Just a reminder to cross-check the request list with the index to see what's already been done or not.