Author Topic: Fun Finds: 5e Edition  (Read 144215 times)

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds: 5e Edition
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2015, 03:27:41 PM »
Per-encounter-ish. If you cast hex, which is a biiiiiiig chunk of a warlock's damage, then you will only have 1 spell slot afterwords to spend on any of the warlock's spells until the later mid and late game... which takes a loooong time to get to in practice, and by then you will have better spells for those slots than DW. Seeing as there are typically 2-3 encounters/ short rest, using DW will only really give you a benefit one round of one encounter, which is likely going to be a bit less useful than most of your other options (which are either potentially long-term buffs, or potential encounter-winners like Hunger of Hadar, Fireball or Evard's Black Tentacles).

At least you can keep that Hex up for 8 hours when you get 3rd level slots. But yeah, I agree that there are better options than Dissonant Whispers for a Warlock. It's better on a Bard, in my opinion.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2015, 06:58:27 PM »
Elves live to be ~750 and mature by ~100. The Manual of Gainful Exercise & co. refresh every 100 years. Elves who begin adventuring as adults could theoretically get +12 to every stat if they find the books within their first 50 years of adventuring.

If they also manage to find a Rod of Security, they can avoid aging for 20 out of every 21 days, leaving the books somewhere secure while they hide away in an extraplanar space. The books not only boost their current stats but also increase the maximum on stats. As a result, an elf can get ~300 in all stats by the time they die.

Take that, Tiamat.
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2015, 02:42:57 PM »
Hey it's a Childe sighting  :)

What's the youngest age a 5e Elf goes out adventuring?
And yeah good combo.

F- :fu -ing Elves  :pout
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Kremlin K.O.A.

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2015, 03:15:08 AM »
Oops I did it again.
I looked at the rules, and found some bro-ken.

It takes 500gp to make the Robe of useful Items.
If you hire 40 guys to work on it, they can make it in a day, and the total cost comes up to 600gp
If you do this 10 times your expenses run to 6,000gp.
Assuming average rolls on the properties of the robes you end up with:
20 Daggers
20 Bullseye lanterns
20 Steel Mirrors
20 10ft poles
20 50ft hempen ropes
20 sacks
800 gp
7 Silver coffers (value: 3,500gp)
7 Iron Doors (Value: Freely make doors in 10 vaults)
80 gems (Value: 8,000gp)
7 riding horses with saddlebags (Value 553gp)
36 potions of healing (value 1800gp)
8 portable pits (value: unknown)
7 rowboats (Value: 350gp)
8 spell scrolls of level 1-3 spells (value: 400-4,000gp average 2,800gp)
14 mastiffs (value: 700gp)
6 Instant windows (value: enter another 6 vaults)
4 portable rams (value: 16gp)
10 robes (value: 10gp)

Just the CashMoney treasure options (Gems COffers and Gold) you get 12,300gp out of your initial 6,000gp investment
Then take into account the sheer number of dungeon shortcuts, work animals, adventuring gear, and spell scrolls? then remember it is all really light until pulled off the robe.

Hello near infinite wealth.

EDIT: FOrgot the potions
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:42:41 PM by Kremlin K.O.A. »

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2015, 01:15:49 PM »
I realized that about the Robe a while ago, but didn't realize it was so good to double your investment on just the treasure alone.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2015, 04:02:17 PM »
Oh that's just ridiculous- ...  :plotting  -ly AWESOME !!

"8 spell scrolls of level 1-3 spells (value: 400-4,000gp average 2,800gp)"

Independent of all the other juicynesses,
this is a way to acquire random 3rd level spells
for Wiz Spellbook or Tome'Lock rituals.

1s via phb scroll purchase.
2s via phb ~spellcaster services.
3s via craft the robe = something interesting happens.

Now the party Lore Bard can breathe a little easier.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 08, 2015, 07:00:26 PM »
Artificers from the UA:Eberron also get one a month, for free!

Which doesn't really change the profitability much. But it does let you write into your character's backstory that they know every spell ever, up to level 3, if you start at character level 14+.

"Gizmo the Artificer then spent the next 15 years making fashionable apparel, learning stuff and finding campaign destroying items in his pocketses. He is still considered quite young for an elf. He has a horse farm, a dog kennel, a shipping company, a heap of money, and a siege warfare supplies division. He knows every spell 3rd level or lower. He has over 400 healing potions and more scrolls than he'll ever need. The horses carry them all. He then decided to go to the tavern where he met you guys."
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:33:49 PM by sambojin »

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2015, 09:24:04 AM »
Looks like this will be the next player & DM splat

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/scag

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2015, 10:40:58 AM »
Interesting to note for a general idea of "development time".

UA: Waterborne Adventures came out with the Swashbuckler trial rules a while ago, and this'll be that for realsies now. So, ummm, 3 months or so, including printing, shipping and distribution times? Around May 5th-> Now'ish actual development time? (a bit more, because they probably spend at least a bit of time developing UA stuff, even if we do mock their Mystics).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:47:32 AM by sambojin »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2015, 02:33:43 PM »
Looks like this will be the next player & DM splat

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/scag

Huh.  So this is officially Splat #1 ;  by the traditional definition.

(and at the ~18th month mark)

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2015, 10:34:51 PM »
Elves live to be ~750 and mature by ~100. The Manual of Gainful Exercise & co. refresh every 100 years. Elves who begin adventuring as adults could theoretically get +12 to every stat if they find the books within their first 50 years of adventuring.

If they also manage to find a Rod of Security, they can avoid aging for 20 out of every 21 days, leaving the books somewhere secure while they hide away in an extraplanar space. The books not only boost their current stats but also increase the maximum on stats. As a result, an elf can get ~300 in all stats by the time they die.

Take that, Tiamat.

So, I know what some of you are thinking. "300 Strength is all well and good, but what if I want to do more than push over dainty flowers? What if I want to actually be strong?"

Be a druid!

At 18th level, your aging slows to 10% with Timeless Body. Now you can get nearly 3,000 in all your stats! (Since presumably it will take some years of your life to get to level 18, I'm erring on the low end here under 3,000.)

*This is different from the Monk ability with the same name, which is completely useless for the almighty elven librarian, because it's a Monk and what did you expect?

At this point you can also watch ALL THE CIVILIZATIONS rise and fall, as you get to live through ~140,000 years of actual time passing on the material plane.
- The More You Know

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2015, 03:55:32 PM »
F -  :fu - ING  ELVES !!!!

:clap

Timeline wise this falls between:
One of the oldest of tanar'ri, Turgalas was spawned by the Abyss a million years ago.  Sources: Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss, page 156 (possibly Dragon #312 also)

... and Grand History Of The Realms which puts the progenitor races at ~37 000 years ago (including a certain Sarrukh race ?! )

Your Elf Druid 18 saw Pun-pun's pimp, be born.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2015, 09:25:02 AM »
Tomes & Manuals: The first 5th edition TO
They regain their power after 100 years and increase your maximum limit so an Elf can just keep the same book and use it again and again over their 700 year lifespan for a +14 Bonus & cap increase.

Interestingly enough due to the wide range of value, each Tome can cost as low as 5,001gp. Reddit's WBL page means you can own hundreds of them. 163 to be specific.

So theoretically there is a very old Elf out there with an Intelligence score of 2,302.
And if you're a Sorcerer, you know for all those Simulacrums of your self, you should take advantage of Wild Magic's 35~36 result as often as you can using the Lucky Feat to tweak the odds in your favor. That's right. I found NI Ability Scores in less than 24 hours of caring to read the books.
That's not an underline. Enhance!

And if you're a Sorcerer, you know for all those Simulacrums of your self, you should take advantage of Wild Magic's 35~36 result as often as you can using the Lucky Feat to tweak the odds in your favor. That's right. I found NI Ability Scores in less than 24 hours of caring to read the books.

But Druid is a nice addition to the trick.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:27:29 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2015, 12:19:44 PM »
The DMG on pg. 275 mentions a cap of 30 on an ability score for monsters but I cannot find a reference to such for players.
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline adamnsm1

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 11, 2015, 01:25:56 PM »
Elves are all well and good, but they aren't necessary. Githyanki live in the astral plane, where time doesn't pass, but have outposts on the material plane, where it does. They can stash their manuals in their outposts and revisit them every time they refresh, getting infinite stats. Really any character that can visit the Astral plane can do this, but Githyanki would more naturally be able to.

Additionally there's the epic boon of immortality, which is a really easy way to get infinite stats.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2015, 08:07:23 PM »
Tomes & Manuals: The first 5th edition TO
They regain their power after 100 years and increase your maximum limit so an Elf can just keep the same book and use it again and again over their 700 year lifespan for a +14 Bonus & cap increase.

Interestingly enough due to the wide range of value, each Tome can cost as low as 5,001gp. Reddit's WBL page means you can own hundreds of them. 163 to be specific.

So theoretically there is a very old Elf out there with an Intelligence score of 2,302.
That's not an underline. Enhance!

But Druid is a nice addition to the trick.
The Druid route is a lot more stable. I'd even go so far as to say the Wild Magic approach is unreliable and statistically unworkable. Wild Magic relies on a 3.96% chance to trigger {35-36} when you get a Surge (factoring in Controlled Chaos), which is purely DM determined. But we'll set that aside. (Because so is magic item acquisition, though even 1 of the 6 books is enough for shenanigans (and the Rod of Security--while delicious icing on the cake--isn't truly necessary with Druid 18 an option). Plus there are guidelines for crafting the books between adventures in DMG.)

If you get the 35-36 result, you then have to roll a d10, for which Controlled Chaos doesn't apply (because rolling on the table is referring to the d100 roll), and which statistically ages you more than it reverses (ages 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10 years; de-ages 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9 years). So, on average, it ages you 0.5 years.

EDIT:
TenaciousJ: There is a cap of 20 stated somewhere in PHB. But these books raise the cap each time you use them too.
adamsnm1: What I'm hearing is we need to ask Mearls to make a playable Githyanki. LALALALALALA I can't hear you.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:10:24 PM by Childe »
- The More You Know

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2015, 11:38:59 AM »
The 20 cap in the PHB is specific to the ASIs in class levels, feats, and (I think) racial ability score adjustments.  There's a cap of 30 on the ASIs from alternative epic boons on pg. 230 of the DMG.  I was thinking there was an absolute cap mentioned somewhere but I cannot find it, though I suppose the specific rules of the tomes would beat general rules about a cap anyway.
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2015, 03:09:50 PM »
Barb and uncommon DMG items break through the 20 cap,
while the epic 30 cap is just for those specific alt boons. 

I wanna vote specific over general, but that's natural inclination on my part.
 :D :smirk

WBL ... don't forget selling all sorts of gear to get even more Tomes.
Tomes definitely are craftable (relative to DM crankiness).

Heck, your party has a solid chance at getting a Legendary
that no one can use, and although normally you won't get
your moneys worth, here's a corner case you would.
(the alternative is a golf bag lol)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2015, 10:54:12 PM »
The 20 cap in the PHB is specific to the ASIs in class levels, feats, and (I think) racial ability score adjustments.
Yep, they already printed magical items that take your ability scores over 20, like the strength belt which goes up to 29.

Tomes increase the cap through.

@Childe, Wild Magic is a theoretical point. If you're complaining how unlikely something is, you've missed the point everyone else already got. Also, seriously you complained you couldn't get magical items as part of your point, guess what the Tome is.  :rolleyes
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:59:43 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2015, 11:52:01 PM »
@Childe, Wild Magic is a theoretical point. If you're complaining how unlikely something is, you've missed the point everyone else already got. Also, seriously you complained you couldn't get magical items as part of your point, guess what the Tome is.  :rolleyes

The much bigger point was it actually backfires and accelerates your aging.

And I acknowledged they're items. Where did I say otherwise? I specifically said they are.
- The More You Know