Author Topic: Forum Code  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Archon

• View Profile
Forum Code
« on: December 10, 2017, 08:03:35 PM »
Would anyone happen to know what the name of the markup this forum uses is?

I'd like to be able to edit my posts in Sublime Text, so finding a syntax highlight package would be nice.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Code
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 08:42:14 PM »
It's called bbcode and no, it isn't some kind of standardized format either.

If you used Notepad++ instead of Sublime you could simply tell it what to highlight.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 10:43:53 AM »
Ah, Damn. That's annoying.

I hadn't thought of writing my own highlighting - a quick google indicates that sublime has functionality for that. Not sure if it's worth the bother. Would be a good excuse to learn regexs though.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »
Not sure if it's worth the bother. Would be a good excuse to learn regexs though.
There are ways around it through. Like Sublime has string replace so you write your stuff using some HTML, ie <b></b>, for highlights you can replace all instances of '<' with '[' to convert it over to bbcode.

This makes it possible to actually skip coding too. As I've mentioned else where you can write a class table using next to nothing. Like {20; +15; +6; +6; +12; special}, then just replace '{' with table2's row and cell tag, '}' with the ending ones, and all instances of '; ' with an ending cell tag and a new starting one.

And in the case of Notepad++, you hit the record macro button and do all of the replacements at once just like you normally would (no filling in special boxes or anything) then map it to a single keystroke for the next time.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 10:35:18 PM »
Ah, clever. I'll have to think about that.