Author Topic: High End IC Episode II-At the End of the Time Which Can Never Be Returned to  (Read 52491 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
A battleship the size of a small space station starts descending into the atmosphere of Ragol, aiming itself towards the area with these unusual readings.  It starts broadcasting on all civilian frequencies as well as some used by the Hunter's Guild (also any Android Administration frequencies he might have gained access to).  Damarius figures that should include everyone who might still be alive in whatever mess they've found.  Being a hero might be good for business but going in blind plays hell on his nerves.

Any problems he might have with his nerves don't show in his voice as he says, "This is Damarius Whitelaw, Commander of The White Company.  We have detected large amounts of collateral damage to the surface of the planet as well as unusual space-time anomalies of an unidentified origin.  We are approaching what appears to be the area most affected.  Hold your fire, we're from Parum. 

There's no need to mention that nobody from Parum actually sent them.

After a pause, he continues (this time sounding less less like a military commander and more like a regular guy).  "We have no idea what the hell happened down there but we're here to help.

He appends ID information of himself and The White Company to the end of the message.  Who knows how jumpy any survivors might be, no need to risk getting shot at if he can help it.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
"Don't be silly. Clearly if I had been at that business for any amount of time my nickname for myself would be Devil King Hugo, Fucker of Galaxies. But perhaps more to the point, if I needed anything from you, intel about things I already know would not be among those.

The explanation for that is a lot simpler. Someone gave Nei this footage hoping to turn her against me. I managed to talk her down, and that's when we stumbled upon that data. Who was that again? Her name escapes me at the moment, a poor android wandering the desert.

: “Mieu is still operational? She having that data makes sense, she was there personally. But what makes you exactly think she calculated to turn Nei against you? Mieu can’t even recall what time is it anymore, let alone plot a conspiracy.  Didn’t you go check her personally? If somebody can finally give that unfortunate gynoid some peace of mind, it would be you.“

:"No, nothing unusual about Hugo."
: “That’s what Rolf said when entering a biofactory taken over by my sister...”

: “When we’ve been in this line of work for so long, very few things count as unusual anymore.”

"As for Hugo, well, I mean, he is weird, but, like, if I didn't sort of trust him.....I do still feel pretty much one hundred percent sure I could take him. Sorry Hugo, haha."
: “Yeah we can, problem is that Hugo’s kinda of a coakroach that you kill one and another Hugo pops out almost instantly, never figured out where were all his clone stashes.”

"This is Damarius Whitelaw, Commander of The White Company.  We have detected large amounts of collateral damage to the surface of the planet as well as unusual space-time anomalies of an unidentified origin.  We are approaching what appears to be the area most affected.  Hold your fire, we're from Parum. 
Arodatam’s minions lock their guns to the new arrival but don’t shoot.
: "Damarius? The Damarius? Can I get your autograph?"
: “[Warning] Parum’s local authority level is zero.”

"We have no idea what the hell happened down there but we're here to help.
: “ID confirmed. Pausing extermination protocols.”
: “Ah Whitelaw. We competed over some pirate bounties back in the day, didn’t we? Or maybe I’m misremembering things. The perimeter is already secured, you’re a bit late for the cleanup but there’ll be plenty of extra work soon enough. Now I’m about to make a pretty important report to Lotushand here because he’s too stubborn to be uploaded to Daughter so I could directly feed him the data. You’re free to stay and listen, but if you do so then you’re in this job as well, confidentiality included. Can’t risk more people hearing about what I’m gonna tell than those who will help solve the current crisis. Do we have a deal?”

____

(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
"You're here, Damarius? I can't imagine it's on pay; everything went through the Hunter's Guild for this mess and a fleet isn't exactly subtle enough for most other employers," Amaterasu comments, looking up at the massive ship. It had seemed like a tempting deal, back in the day--a big enough ship to reliably crash on--but that sort of structure or having a permanent boss wasn't her style. "You sure that you want to get involved? The help would be nice but I'm not soft enough to need to pay for it."

No point mentioning the multiple conflicting sources of payment the rest of them were under.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
The battleship descends to hover a not too threatening distance away, and it is clear that the thing is large enough to house and transport a fleet of mecha.  Anyone who's heard of The White Company knows that is exactly what's in there, the battleship Bastion is piloted by Damarius and houses his entire mercenary company as a mobile base with plenty of room to spare.

Never one to pass up a chance to make an entrance, especially when there's apparently a fan around, Damarius pops out of the top of the ship on a motorcycle. He lands on the ship and rides down the outer hull, the ship tilting to let him onto the ground to stop safely in front of the group.  He is followed in a significantly less flashy manner by an armored module which lands and reveals an android pilot.

Damarius looks at Arodatam and shakes his head.  "...have we?  Besides Amaterasu she's the only other one who looks familiar," he gestures at Katherine as he says this.

He then looks at Amaterasu and grins.  "Amaterasu!  You look different, did you do something with your hair?  Last time I saw you, you told me that you were too busy teaching!  You really should join up, Michael here does great as my bodyguard but he's not cut out to be a field commander."  He gestures at the android.

"I'm not on anyone's payroll for this, I heard there was trouble and decided to come see if my services were needed.  You know I won't work for the Guild anymore, they don't know how to run things properly.  But you know me, I'll work out of the goodness of my heart if I have to.  Money is nice but reputation is what keeps the jobs coming in.  Where's Yatagarasu?"

Addressing Arodatam again he says, "Amaterasu is one of the best pilots I've worked with, if she's in then I'm in.  It would be good to know who I'm working with though, it's hard to coordinate otherwise."

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
"Damarius eh?" Katherine smirks as the captain makes his flashy entrance. "Still more bark than bite I can see. The last ship we had lasted all of seconds fighting what we're up against. Heheh, good luck keeping up." she snickers. The White Company, ugh, too much flash for her taste. She'd never met him face to face though; most of their run-ins revolved around competing for work.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
"Hey, with a penchant for flair like yours, keeping the ol' reputation up can't exactly be too difficult.

Hugo Lotushand, Lieutenant of the A.A. Division 12."
The A.A. doesn't have a Division 12.

"Arodatam, Mieu is to be our next stop after a quick detour. I figured I'd give her a little shot in the arm to go on.

It WOULD be nice to have our own means of transport. My Murakumo's flight autonomy is great but it was never meant to go hoofing across the galaxy. And the White Company would be good cover for our moves."

(click to show/hide)
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
: “Very well, with the White Company  on board, I can tell you about my past. Long ago for me, but only a few cycles from Katherine’s present, the Aether Phantom Fleet will show up seemingly out of nowhere. They’ll blockade virtually every civilization in the galaxy, blocking all of sea, space and even planar travel and communications.  We didn’t really realize how it easy we had it before with such open routes, but once they got cut off, life got a lot harder for everybody. And as far as I cared, all their raiding made them just glorified pirates so I dedicated my life to hunting them down, sinking them ship by ship if necessary. Not like there were any other pirates left in the galaxy at that point for me to go after, the Aether Phantom Fleet had obtained the full monopoly in piracy.”
:”I’ll spare you the details of our struggle and fights that lasted for many cycles, but eventually I managed to prove myself enough of a threat  to force an engagement against the full might of the Aether Phantom Fleet in a single place where I may wipe them out for good. There were other people backing me up, but none of you. The Aether Phantom Fleet wouldn’t risk a direct engagement against our full might, so you had to be in other places of the galaxy for our plan to work. Plus my blades had proven particularly effective at cutting through their shields. You weren’t exactly idling either, there were still other problems, bloody revolutions and cults to deal with. I lost count of how many Aether Phantom Fleet ships I sunk that cycle, but when I finished the leftover debris could be seen from most planets in the galaxy. At some point they did try to sail away, but I hunted them all down. Some escaped to my eternal shame, but the plan had succeeded, there were too few left to pose a true threat to our universe anymore.”
:”However, looking back, the Aether Phantom Fleet could’ve caused a lot more damage than they did if they had just started directly bombing cities and colonies, but they seemed happy just striking military outposts and anybody trying to sail out. Everybody staying in their homes was relatively safe, at least from violent death, poverty and starvations were running ramapart. Sometimes I still wonder what the Aether Phantom Fleet’s plan was exactly. ”

:”But back then I had bigger things to worry about. Like Katherine had pushed my machine and body far past my limits. Never imagined one could feel so much pain, so much exhaustion. If I had succeeded in hunting down all of the Aether Phantom fleet ships maybe I would’ve just let myself go at that point, but my desire to finish the job kept Katherine’s failing systems, both flesh and metal working somehow. ”
:”Still me and my nanosuit were both wrecks barely able to move. All the Aether Phantom Fleet debris resulted in too much background radiation which I believer was the reason you didn’t rescue me and Katherine was declared missing in action. Much cycles later on I learned that Katherine was seen as a martyr and a new holyday declared in our honor that lasted to my day, but that’s getting a bit too ahead. I don’t know how long I drifted in space, but eventually somebody found me. Or something. Just recall a big ship approaching before passing out.”
:”Next thing I remember Katherine was in some big lab tube, being repaired. There were people observing me, taking recordings, discussing about my status, but all wearing suits and masks, wasn’t even sure if they were organics or androids. Kept me heavily drugged so I wouldn’t resist. When I got healthier and able to move again they had Katherine run combat tests, trying to get me to follow their orders whitout question.”

:”They’ve may’ve managed to brainwash Katherine, but then you came. Ammy and Hugo and Stephanie and Damarius and Nei and you succeeded in freeing me. But at a cost. They had planned for the chance my friends may find and try to rescue me and prepared contigencies. Specialized virus aiming at penetrating your defenses. When those didn’t seem to work, they prefered to blow themselves up along all their records rather than let any of them be captured so we never found out who exactly they were or their intentions. But they did last a last legacy. Ammy’s vírus had taken a hold after all and she was weakening fast.”
:”Maybe in a better time we could’ve found a way to heal her, but as I was released I found out the galaxy was in pretty big trouble. In the aftermath of the Aether Phantom Fleet,  cultists quickly rose to fill the vacuum of power left, and a new Dark Force manifested, unleashing a new wave of destruction accross the galaxy. We were the only ones that could stop it that time. But there was a glimmer of hope, for Hugo and Stephanie devised a plan to seal it for good. However it would demand extra effort from us. Extra effort from Ammy when she needed to rest to heal. Katherine, I, we begged Ammy not to, that we could just beat Dark Force the normal way and somebody else worry about it a thousand years from now. Ammy… Ammy decided to go out fighting, sacrificing her life to stop Dark Force for eternity.”
:”Katherine wasn’t much better. I again had pushed myself far over my limits trying to do all the heavy lifting myself to spare Ammy the effort despite not having fully recovered yet. I was dying too then, but I knew I wasn’t going to see Ammy again in the other side, the combination of the virus and Dark Force’s attacks had consumed both her body and soul. Plus she had told me to keep going in her last words...”

:”The Aether Phantom Fleet followed by the Dark Force’s assault had left the galaxy in not much better of a state. A lot of people were despairing, no world seemed to be safe.  So  a bunch of governments and rich people developed the Data Arquive Utility Gestalt Humanoid Team Evolving Relay, DAUGHTER. A huge fortified complex where important people could upload themselves and live in a digital paradise free from the weaknesses of the flesh.”
:”Although Katherine’s survival hadn’t made it to public knowledge (seemingly I made a better martyr than a crippled veteran), I still received an invitation to join DAUGHTER under a new identity for my expertise to work as security. I took it. Both for a new life, and to keep an eye in the place, lest DAUGHTER go rogue or something like so many such projects.”
:”It wasn’t so bad at start. If anything, putting all the greedy and arrogant people in one place detached from reality allowed everybody else to kinda start rebuilding at their own pace and everybody was happy. Had fun keeping the order and enjoying my new virtual existence as Arodatam.”

:”Then before I noticed it some thousands of cycles had gone by and Dark Force was running rampart aagain. I wondered how the seal could’ve failed, then I discovered it was now Hugo himself who had broken the seal. Hugo, Fucker of Worlds, directly channeling Dark Force to rampage across the galaxy stronger than ever. Ammy was gone, Stephanie and Damarius and Mao were missing, Red Ring Rica tried to take him head on but she wasn’t strong enough. ”
:”With DAUGHTER itself threatened, they told me this was the main reason I had been invited to join and downloaded me to a cutting-edge robotic body to fight Hugo, Fucker of Worlds. I cut him down, but had no idea how to make a new magic seal. So Dark Force returned again. Along Hugo, Fucker of Worlds, who had backup clones hidden all accross the galaxy. And again. And again. An arms race broke between us, me getting new technology to keep up with Hugo, Fucker of Worl’s growing magic.”
:”And although I succeeded in winning, I couldn’t fully prevent all the destruction. Priority was always given to protecting DAUGHTER itself, thus more and more people started to ask to be let in. And with the advances in technology, it was indeed affordable for more and more people to be uploaded, first thousands, then millions and billions and growing exponentially, no longer limited to the elite but to the average worker too.”

:”Another result of Hugo, Fucker of Worlds were an increase in the number of eternals from Dark Force’s negative radiation. Or as Katherine would call them, undead, although such term was eventually declared illegal for reasons I’ll explain later. Initially the eternals were under Hugo, Fucker of Worlds thrall, meant mostly as a distractions. Eventually we found out a way to block his control, and even to make them recover their mindds even if couldn’t reverse the proccess in an affordable way. And as far as some higher ups cared, why would they? Resources were dwindling. And eternals didn’t need to eat or healthcare, right? They started getting rights and protection laws, the smart ones started to get jobs in important places. So even even between the attacks of Hugo, Fucker of Worlds their percentage of the populations kept increasing. They didn’t die of old age or broke down like androids after all. Techniques to control negative energy to a degree were developed, synthetic skins researched so vampires wouldn’t be harmed by UV light. Calling anybody an undead was declared hate speech.”
:”Quantum architecture multiplied habitable space, allowing for more and more population to reside in the world where DAUGHTER was. Easier to defend a single planet than try to figure out where Hugo, Fucker of Worlds would attack next, right? Efficiency was the first order of the day. Keeping old decaying organic bodies started to be considered pretty primitive, better to be uploaded or turned to an eternal.”
:”Eventually some organics started to resist. Some more violently than others. While some started the Synthetic Hierarchy Improved Neo Impact Geared Advanced Mind Initiative project, a contigency against the rise of the eternals, possessing both and exceptional ability to navigate between the quantic hyperspace routes being developed inside the DAUGHTER home planet to tackle space problems. However the Synthetic Hierarchy Improved Neo Impact Geared Advanced Mind Initiative ended up negotiating with the eternals instead of stopping them and mostly joined their cause. They technically became neutral, but made life for the living that much harder while offering all sorts of services and benefits to the eternals. So other bios started terrorrist attacks against the eternals on their own. The surface started to get pretty ugly, so more and more people moving underground. Meanwhile non-sentient organics were declared complete obsolete and fully wiped out down to the last bacteria. Saved quite a bit in needing to worry about diseases after all.”

:”Trying to keep other worlds going was deemed not worth the cost anymore, so they started to be dismantled for raw resources one after the other. Couldn’t risk they becoming dark havens for Hugo, Fucker of Worlds either. Some condemned such actions, but they were in the minority. Then there was the part where the workforces had so many eternals and androids that sleeping, eating and breathing were declared luxuries and cut from one’s salaries at premium rates for bios that demanded them.”
:”Eventually even bio-reproduction was illegallized, there were no organics left in positions of power to vote or veto against that. DAUGHTER users and eternals held some pretty big celebrations for that one. Like, they could still get new bio bodies to replace old ones. But even then that wasn’t enough to satisfy the more extreme parties, several cycles later it was deemed mandatory for the remaining organics to upload themselves to DAUGHTER or become eternals regardless of current status.”
:”Full war broke out between organics and everybody else. Mechas specialized in exterminating bios were developed. The eternals took control of the last cloning factories since there was still some demand for organic ‘products’ and the remaining free bios were pretty much fighting a losing battle whitout a way to replenish their numbers. I think Hugo, Fucker of Worlds may be laughing at us at that point. Eventually all remaining organic resistance crumbled and DAUGHTER declared victory… Or so it was thought. The organic remants managed to finish Advanced Revolutionary Kasha Autonomous System, a series of biomonsters meant to restore organic life on their own. The last free bios sacrificed themselves as distraction while the seeds of ARKAS were scattered in the surface that had been abandoned for being reduced to virtually all barren wasteland. Over the next cycles the eternals, androids had fully retreated underground, not caring about the rest of reality anymore. Eventually we started new conflicts among ourselves. ARKAS meanwhile covered the surface in fresh organic life, but all artificial designs of their original creators, an ecosystem that could resist Hugo, Fucker of Worlds, the eternals and DAUGHTER. Eventually the eternals underground started to clash against the new bios, but this time they were the ones that started being pushed back, in particular because the eternals were divided by bickering and grudges of their own. New weapon systems were developed, somebody tried to dark mix magics in between, time and space started to unravel. There was the passing of space-time sanctions from the underground government to try to keep things from spiraling out of control, but loopholes were found and more dangerous techniques were unleashed. Finally, most of the underground Quantum architecture collapsed. Many had no choice to return to the surface, then we saw not only the full work of ARKAS but also that the stars were not right. We weren’t sure what had happened. Had we spent so long underground that we had fully lost track of time? But before we could understand ARKAS were pushing us back down.”

:”ARKAS were winning, culling the eternals accross all fronts. Several cloning factories became independent factions in the chaos. Our situation became so desperate we had to unseal our own biotech again, clearly the organic wasn’t so obsolete as we had come to believe. Yet although the ARKAS advance was slowed they were still pushing forward almost reaching the main server of DAUGHTER itself, when Red Ring Rica arrived. Returned. I remember having met her long ago, but when had she gone missing? I wasn’t sure. Red Ring Rica was there too in a new younger body. Offered an alliance, the Android Administration’s legions to bolster our defenses. Also told us about a fresh colony from Parum in our planet’s surface. Parum was still out there I wondered? Hadn’t it be dismantled too? Clearly I had confused it. Some leftover refugees clearly.”
:”Mao said ARKAS would go after them soon enough so she needed our help to rescue them. I was too happy to comply. No time for explanations so we had to get a bit rough, but it was for their own good. Didn’t have much time to think. Got in, got them out. All of them. At least I think I did. Maybe somebody was left behind but there was no time to check everywhere.  An ARKAS force was indeed approaching fast and engaged the garrison we left behind, but I wasn’t there to check how that one went. Was too busy with seeing to the refugees safety.”
:”Then the higher ups told me their newest project had gone awry. Attempting to clone the bodies and minds of heroes of old to fight for us. Initial results were pretty positive in several key fronts, but then they went out of control, some even turning to ARKAS. Maybe ARKAS were the ones who made them rebel? They sent me to deal with it. Then Mao showed up with Stephanie. Where had they been all this time? When was even the last time I had seen Mao? I couldn’t remember. Wasn’t even sure they were the same ones I had knew before. Maybe clones, maybe copies. But now Katherine and Ammy and Hugo and Damarius and time travel too. And the Aether Phantom Fleet returning too. Then it is now.”

____

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Damarius just looks confused as Arodatam talks about events that he's never heard of and him doing things that he's never done.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
"The future, Whitelaw. She's talking about the future. Or at least one possible future.

That generally seems to match up to the information we've got... I didn't realize I had such a central role in that future, though. Pretty terrifying when I think about it.

Unfortunately you were out of commission for my dark rise to power so we're still missing a critical piece of information. But since you didn't mention Nei once even when you were talking about biomonsters, I can hazard a guess as to what drove me insane in that future. Honestly, I'm surprised you didn't just shoot me down.

Though one way or another, that means our problems are now twofold. We need to keep the Aether Phantom Fleet from gaining momentum and keep Dark Force from coming around. In that order. Dark Force is a huge pain in the ass, but it is a catalyst for negative change rather than the cause. And of course, no point patting ourselves in the back against the fleet if Dark Force takes advantage of our cockiness later.

So first things first. We need backup and manpower to hold back their initial invasion. I do have an idea as far as getting some quality sleuthing done with our current numbers, but it kinda risks tipping our hands."

(click to show/hide)

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Damarius just looks confused as Arodatam talks about events that he's never heard of and him doing things that he's never done.
: ”Honestly speaking, if you understood all of this right away then I would be quite suspicious.”

"The future, Whitelaw. She's talking about the future. Or at least one possible future.

That generally seems to match up to the information we've got... I didn't realize I had such a central role in that future, though. Pretty terrifying when I think about it.

Unfortunately you were out of commission for my dark rise to power so we're still missing a critical piece of information. But since you didn't mention Nei once even when you were talking about biomonsters, I can hazard a guess as to what drove me insane in that future. Honestly, I'm surprised you didn't just shoot me down.

:”...Really hoped you would recover. But I did mention Nei just now. Playback section 1798GHA.”
:”They’ve may’ve managed to brainwash Katherine, but then you came. Ammy and Hugo and Stephanie and Damarius and Nei and you succeeded in freeing me.

: “However I didn’t mention the other Nei. At least one working with ARKAS. But she’s not the Nei here with us. The way she moved, the way she fought, she was another Nei, thought she was just a biomonster copy.”

: “No problem, I’ve got plenty of sisters that look just like me all over the place, maybe even hundreds or thousands, Hugo knows that.”

: “Then maybe I should’ve mentioned something else. Found it in a raid against ARKAS, no time stamp, didn’t think it would be relevant to my previous report so I didn’t brought it up just now, but if the relationship between you is that important...”

(click to show/hide)

___

(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
"Yatagarasu's right here, we just needed to do some futureproofing," Amaterasu says, pointing at the raven on her shoulder--quite a far cry from the enormous mecha of her past, "Bad Future Katherine here should more or less have the gist of it across. Turns out that time travel is possible after all."

The former-pilot shrugs at that; it's interesting but rather complicated. "Long story short, we've already proved time isn't some stable iteration, so we're trying to stop Hugo from becoming the end of the world, the Administration from winning the Devestation War, and something about future pirates. Which would be easier if the future wasn't becoming easier to learn about than the past."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Damarius spends a minute processing this.  "So you're Katherine from the future who is now in the present but with no knowledge of how that happen.  That explains the temporal anomaly at least.  What are we supposed to do to stop this?  Even with Bastion I'm not capable of stopping a fleet that can set up that sort of blockade."

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
: "Bad Future Katherine here should more or less have the gist of it across. Turns out that time travel is possible after all."
: “We’re always traveling in time Ammy, forward if nothing else.”

: "Long story short, we've already proved time isn't some stable iteration, so we're trying to stop Hugo from becoming the end of the world, the Administration from winning the Devestation War, and something about future pirates. Which would be easier if the future wasn't becoming easier to learn about than the past."
: ”Ammy, the Android Administration already won the Devastation War before I, Katherine was even born. Maybe even before Hugo. There’s no changing that unless you figure out a way to go back even further.”

: "So you're Katherine from the future who is now in the present but with no knowledge of how that happen.  That explains the temporal anomaly at least.  What are we supposed to do to stop this?  Even with Bastion I'm not capable of stopping a fleet that can set up that sort of blockade."
:”Yes, I’m Katherine Matryoska. And I eventually stop the Aether Phantom Fleet. Most of it at least. So you could just wait. Or if you want to stop it sooner, your best bet would be figuring out where and how they will appear from and prevent it at the origin. Shame Katherine’s confident doesn’t seem to have revealed any interesting intel last battle about that. Right, Katherine? The psycho maid didn’t let out anything useful? No last private messages before being destroyed that you managed to overhear?”

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Amaterasu waves her hand dismissively, "Details. Sure, they won that part, but they haven't subsumed all sentient life into a single galaxy-wide android hive mind yet, or whatever Mao is actually planning. Since there's no new war... well, I guess we could call it the Devastation War Part Two: Android Boogaloo."

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
Hugo looks visibly disturbed by the image. He actually needs a moment to collect himself.

He takes a deep breath, and then resumes.

"For once, being in the past grants us an advantage. Arodatam can access the records of the blockades so we can prepare the best strategies to keep their damage to a minimum.

We will need to employ as many battleships as possible in order to keep the supply lines working. Mechas work out great for attack and defense but they make for horrible transportation.

But that's only a paliative measure. If we want to keep the Phantom Fleet menace contained, we'll need to figure out where they came from in the first place. That should allow us a preemptive assault."

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
The information overload was too much for her to handle right now. So many things were already happened that she was trying to keep up on, now there were so many things to be happening that needed addressing to put on top of that stack in her head! She mostly kept her silence in a nervous and shy attempt to not look totally out of the loop. Gosh, she bet Arodatam must really like not having to deal with this kind of thing anymore, must be nice having a computer for a brain...

"Hu-what?" Katherine was snapped back to reality as she was addressed by herself. What was that? Last messages? Oh! "Oh! I recorded a lot of messages from the fleet boss just now, yeah! It, uh, struck me kinda odd... Like, what they are doing, were doing? Will be doing? Ahm, it isn't what they want to happen?"

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile

Hugo looks visibly disturbed by the image. He actually needs a moment to collect himself.
Nei starts shaking violently and makes an expression even Hugo has never seen before.

“Nonono I was the one who killkilled her she was dead she’s deaddead this is not how it ended this can’t be how it ends you remember it, right Leonie? Leonie?”

: ”Please calm yourself down, mistress Nei. Leonie... Isn’t here right now. Neither is that other Nei.”

"For once, being in the past grants us an advantage. Arodatam can access the records of the blockades so we can prepare the best strategies to keep their damage to a minimum.

We will need to employ as many battleships as possible in order to keep the supply lines working. Mechas work out great for attack and defense but they make for horrible transportation.

But that's only a paliative measure. If we want to keep the Phantom Fleet menace contained, we'll need to figure out where they came from in the first place. That should allow us a preemptive assault."

: “Once the Aether Phantom Fleet revealed itself, there just weren’t enough battleships in your time to make a difference no matter the strategy, whetever in numbers  or technology. A preemptive assault would be the only strategy with positive odds of success.”

"Oh! I recorded a lot of messages from the fleet boss just now, yeah! It, uh, struck me kinda odd... Like, what they are doing, were doing? Will be doing? Ahm, it isn't what they want to happen?"

(click to show/hide)
: “...I’m not quite sure  what to make of this. Stephanie? Hugo? Damarius? You’re kinda supposed to be the big brains around here.”

:”… If I may, I have a theory that this may be a larger-scale version of discarded mundane old objects developing grudges due to not receiving the correct disposal rituals. As far as I know it’s only been observed in small items. But haunted houses and castles could also be considered such a case. And a ship’s basically a mobile house, a battleship is a mobile castle. Their crews that lived inside it would pour their feelings into the vessels, which would be left craving more once the crews were gone. So if there was some sufficiently large concentration of ancient battleship wrecks out there...”

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
Not everyday one sees evidence of their own violent death in the future, so that's an understandable reaction.

Hugo moves to embrace Nei, one hand going behind her head to scratch her head to calm her down.

"Nei, NEI! Easy girl. That picture is from something that hasn't happened... yet. It could very well be something that never comes to pass for you or anyone else. Deep breaths. Deep breaths."

Hugo is no less disturbed at seeing that, but right now Nei needs his support.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Hugo moves to embrace Nei, one hand going behind her head to scratch her head to calm her down.

"Nei, NEI! Easy girl. That picture is from something that hasn't happened... yet. It could very well be something that never comes to pass for you or anyone else. Deep breaths. Deep breaths."

In reaction, Nei hugs Hugo, and by “hugs”, it means she almost crushes his ribs while sinking her nails through his clothes and skin, drawing a bit of blood before she finally seems to relax a bit, stops trying to kill him and purrs a little.

: “But it almost happened already. I won that fight. She can’t be alive! But... I didn’t properly dispose of the body. Didn’t really make sure she was no longer living. And I heard rumors. That she recovered and is still out there. I got better after all too, hahaha… So she’s hunting me. Gave me a chance, was holding back just because I was younger. I thought they were just silly stories. But that image… It’s exactly what I heard she promised she would do to me if she ever found me again.”

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
In return, Hugo hugs back as tightly as he can, which admittedly isn't much.

"Stop thinking about her. If you see her again, I want you to flee. No matter what's at stake, okay? I don't want you to ever, ever fight her again."

Give me internets. Now.