Author Topic: Interest check-in for a 5th Edition D&D game  (Read 42176 times)

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
Re: Interest check-in for a 5th Edition D&D game
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2014, 10:50:26 PM »
I'm still good with either rolls or point buy, personally.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2014, 10:51:33 PM »
Rolls have left me with non-cringeworthy AC!

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2014, 10:52:06 PM »
@bhu: Resistance is strictly half damage,  while vulnerability is double damage
--pseudo-edit: Gazzien beat me to it.

@Rin: feel free to make a character if you like. I already have more players than I have spaces for. I'll likely have to choose between characters that are most interesting, have the best backgrounds or core concept.

@Raineh: gymnastics takes a surprising amount of strength, and someone with strong leg muscles is likely to be a better jumper than someone who's willowy and lithe. Your height also has some effect on how high you can reach in a high jump.

Now, I understand where you're coming from, but I have to disagree with you. Jumping a long distance definitely has more to do with your physical power than with your reflexes and agility. Those help, and even someone who jumps farther may have more problems actually landing on their feet.

Besides that, do keep in mind how important advantage and disadvantage are in 5th edition. Though a dwarf with high strength certainly can jump in heavy armor, he may still be ruled to do so with disadvantage, 3 specially if he's carrying a sword and shield and a dozen other things. They unarmed monk in a cloth tunic may get advantage, especially given their natural command of their own physical and mental faculties.

@Gazzien: Sure, though you do sacrifice your other stats a bit in doing so. It may be better to start with 15, boost it to 17 with race, and add a point later by feat or double-stat boost, but that's your call. Keep in mind, unlike previous editions, 5e is balanced around assuming that 20 really is very high for an ability score, and only the most dangerous monsters usually are the only ones who can break those limits. 

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2014, 10:55:40 PM »
The thing is, base jump distance is wholly strength. There's no rolls, only an athletics roll for unusually large jumps. There also seems to be mention of losing speed, but no 'minimum speed' requirement: so long as you can take the 10' run up, your long jump performance doesn't care whether you can move 2000' a round or 10': all that matters is your strength score. It's more reasonable for high jumps to be based on sheer muscle power, but for the 'how far can I go' thing to not care about anything else at all...

Unless that was changed between the prerelease version and the final one.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »
It's been abstracted. If you really want to bring math and physics into the game, then perhaps D&D is not the right game for you.

Again, you're reading the rules for basic circumstances. There may be other, non-specified circumstances that affect the result.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2014, 11:03:30 PM »
Don't blame me for bringing in physics, blame the last jump rules I looked at being 3.5's. You get a bonus for moving fast. It's the one bit of streamlining that annoys me (or at least the one thing that annoys me so far). :P

It goes against all common sense that someone moving slower can jump further on a running jump--where they're both going as fast as they can--and just gives weird mental images. The guy in heavy armour with 25' move speed can run 10' and jump 20' more because they're strong, but a level 2 monk with 40' move speed can run 10' and jump only 10' more 'cause they're not super strong, in the same span of time... despite going faster to start with. It's just a dumb mental image. You get one guy accelerating on leaving the ground, and the other flinging out a parachute behind them by all appearances.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2014, 11:19:38 PM »
Based on the section on jumping's position in the rules, I'm betting that the unspoken assumption is that the distance rules given mostly apply in non-combat situations. During combat, you're going based on rounds, and you can still only move your speed during your round. A dwarf with 16 strength may be able to jump 16 feet with a 10-foot running jump, but that's going to take all of his movement for the round. The wood elf with move speed 35 has an extra 10 feet of movement in a round. Assuming they can cover the same distance, they can still get more movement out in a round of combat. If either can't complete the movement in one round, they'll have to either use their action to dash/hustle/double-move, or finish their movement on the next turn.

So there's my ruling. The distance is mainly for exploration purposes out of combat. When applied to combat situations, movement is still restricted based on your speed in a round. The elf is still quicker. If you're not strong enough to get off the ground, however, you honestly can't jump as far, though you can still move farther on-ground.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2014, 11:21:27 PM »
I will try and forget what I learned about vectors and gravity. The key word being 'try'.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2014, 11:46:05 PM »
Let's not turn this into a pissing match about what is right and wrong about the correlation between the rules in a fantasy roleplaying game and the rules in real life.

I have tried to express that my views and the rulings are not entirely dissimilar to your's by pointing out that there would be situations in-game that would affect how the two presented example characters would be treated, but I feel this has largely been ignored.

This is a game in which a dwarf with a statistic of 20 strength can hit a target just as hard as a giant that is several times its size but has the same 20 strength. Moreover, both can lift and carry the same amount. This all despite differences in size, mass, leverage, etc. It's all abstract. If it bothers you so much, you do not have to play.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2014, 11:52:01 PM »
I thought the giant would get a carrying multiplier based on size, or does it only work the other way? The hitting thing is basically edition-consistent, it just removes the weapon size differences (that aren't that different until it reaches the 2d6->3d6->4d6 part of the chart). XD

It only bothers me so far as it makes me bad at something random I used to be good at when picking the same class. :(

Anyway: having trouble doing a background due to lack of a setting.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2014, 12:19:21 AM »
weird question: Can you multiclass as the same class?  i.e. COuld you be a berskerker barbarian who multiclasses as a Bear  Totemist?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2014, 12:42:06 AM »
It only bothers me so far as it makes me bad at something random I used to be good at when picking the same class. :(

Just as a point of fact, but a monk can spend a ki point with Step of the Wind to double their jump distance. So technically you can jump way better than a dwarf in full plate. :P

Anyway: having trouble doing a background due to lack of a setting.

I've been asking for suggestions, but no one's said anything. A simple "I have no preference" would have sufficed.

So, it seems I'll have to go with "pick one at random" after all. If no preferences are stated, then I will proceed with this option sometime tomorrow.

weird question: Can you multiclass as the same class?  i.e. COuld you be a berskerker barbarian who multiclasses as a Bear  Totemist?

Sorry, no. It's still the same class, just a different path. However, Totem Barbarian can mix and match totems at the different benefit levels (so for instance at 3, you can pick Bear, while at 6 you could choose to pick Eagle, or whatever).

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2014, 02:33:12 AM »
I vote Forgotten Realms, if only because that's the setting I have most experience with. Admittedly the vast majority of that experience is pre-Spellplague, but there you go.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2014, 03:55:45 AM »
I think I'll actually buy a 16, then push it to 18 with race. That seems fine to me -shrugs-

Plus, this way I don't have STR 6 /CHA 4! :D

STR 10 (2pts, +0)
DEX 15+1 (9pts, +3)
CON 12 (4pts, +1)
INT 16+2 (12pts, +4)
WIS 9 (1pts, -1)
CHA 10 (2pts, +0)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2014, 05:14:57 AM »
Forgotten Realms is familiar to me.

I didn't want to write a background and then find out there was no Underdark or the drow aren't pathologically murderous. XD

Offline Rin

• Now, count up your sins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2014, 11:07:07 AM »
I am familiar with Forgotten Realms, by which I mean I played the Baldur's Gate trilogy when I was younger.  So I'm fine with that.

And thank you.  I'll try and figure out a good concept then.

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2014, 12:09:44 PM »
Realms is fine.  Greyhawk is fine.  Dragonlance is fine. 

Heck, anything's fine, really, though I've never been a huge Planescape buff.

Offline Rin

• Now, count up your sins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »
Well, I've at least decided on race and class, since I seem to be brainstorming a Tiefling Wild Magic Sorcerer.  But we'll see how that turns out.

EDIT: And here's my statrolls.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:01:28 PM by Rin »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2014, 04:17:54 PM »
Ok, looks good.  I've never run a Forgotten Realms game but there's plenty of material to pull from, and you guys have never played 5e for the most part, so we'll learn together! ;)

In this case, I'm interested to find out why Raineh's Drow is venturing to the surface. Do we have a straightforward,  evil Drow, or another renegade? The race also, I believe, has sensitivity to daylight. We can work out a way around that for you, but you won't be able to fully escape the sensitivity except through special means.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2014, 04:25:18 PM »
If they're a renegade, it's more of a 'I've pissed off the Spider Queen and would rather not die' than 'I reject this culture!' Especially likely if they're a noble that gave the middle finger to being a priestess for some reason. Which also means their reason for being here is probably less dire for the surface, since it will not eventually result in raids or the like. :lmao