Author Topic: Fun finds thread V3.0  (Read 319524 times)

Offline Mister Lamp

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Meh. . .
    • View Profile
Re: Fun finds thread V3.0
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2012, 12:49:53 PM »
Yea, they got that "Sentient Essence of Primordial Chaos Seeking to Undo All Creation" thing going on. This results in some pretty freaky monsters.

:D Best kind of Chaos.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2012, 02:39:09 PM »
My favourite is the black willow. Not because of the stats (its a typical overpowered plant monster - 12 attacks at +14 with a chance to constrict and swallow whole) but because it looks hilarious in the picture.

Offline NiteCyper

• Uploaded the stock avatar with better quality. =þ
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2012, 05:52:45 AM »
For phylacteries:
Quote from: Higher-Order Ability of the "The Metacube" touchstone, Planar Handbook, page 170
Once per day as a full round action, you can improve the sturdiness and durability of one building, piece of sculpture, piece of furniture, or other constructed object. To do this, you must spend the full round touching the object in question. At the end of that period, the object gains a number of hit points equal to your character level, which may make the object better than new, even more sturdy than when it was first constructed.
Repeat ad nauseam.

The Recharge Condition isn't dangerous either and is indefinitely redoable.

Quote from: Recharge Condition of the "The Metacube" touchstone, Planar Handbook, page 170
Stop the equation, then restart its progress by carving the next three symbols yourself. This requires a DC 15 Intelligence check or a DC 25 Knowledge (the planes) check.

(click to show/hide)

Touchstones are like old-school versions of Magical locations, or vice versa.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:48:53 PM by NiteCyper »
What? NiteCyper's post is evolving!

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2012, 06:10:22 AM »
Rangers do have one major claim to fame: They're the only class that allows taking an Epic feat at level 12 (or earlier if you manage to get a new feat at 11).

The Uncanny Accuracy Epic feat allows you to ignore miss chances from all concealment, even total.  It also states
Quote from: SRD, Uncanny Accuracy
Special

A character with at least 11 levels of ranger can qualify for this feat even if he or she does not have the prerequisites for it, but can only use it when wearing light or no armor.

Making it the only Epic feat I know of that is available before level 21 (without Old Dragon cheese).
There's always the debate about the Rogue's Special ability's Feat option. Also, the Lightning Warrior gets Perfect two-weapon fighting!
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2012, 06:28:29 AM »
Lightning Warrior?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2012, 07:26:00 AM »
Lightning Warrior?

Don't bother.  It doesn't even get a familiar.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Cyclone Joker

• Flamboyant Flamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2012, 07:53:38 AM »
Recently noticed Improved Precise Shot either makes the opponent AC 10, or just removes the need to roll to hit entirely.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2012, 08:42:25 AM »
I noticed Unseelie Fey could be applied to a half-ogre or half-giant.  If it's ruled that the creature could be both primordial and unseelie fey, that's +4 int and +6 cha for 0 LA, although -6 str and -4 con is a bit annoying.  Magic-blooded would add another +2 cha for 0 LA.

All told, using the combo on a half-giant would yield -4 str, +0 dex, -2 con, +4 int, -4 wis, +8 cha and a bunch of other potentially fun abilities for LA +1.

Offline Cyclone Joker

• Flamboyant Flamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2012, 01:14:13 PM »
I noticed Unseelie Fey could be applied to a half-ogre or half-giant.  If it's ruled that the creature could be both primordial and unseelie fey, that's +4 int and +6 cha for 0 LA, although -6 str and -4 con is a bit annoying.  Magic-blooded would add another +2 cha for 0 LA.

All told, using the combo on a half-giant would yield -4 str, +0 dex, -2 con, +4 int, -4 wis, +8 cha and a bunch of other potentially fun abilities for LA +1.
Actually, reread the Racial Variants article(Dr306, P60-61). It says Magic-Blooded can be applied to PHB races, and nothing else. So, sadly, it doesn't work.

There is no reason that a Primordial Half-Giant can't have Unseelie Fey applied to it as well.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2012, 11:29:27 PM »

Actually, reread the Racial Variants article(Dr306, P60-61). It says Magic-Blooded can be applied to PHB races, and nothing else. So, sadly, it doesn't work.

There is no reason that a Primordial Half-Giant can't have Unseelie Fey applied to it as well.

I concede on the racial variants since it does say PHB races, but boy does that spoil creative variants for other races.

As for primordial and unseelie fey, it depends on how the DM interprets things.  They are both inherited templates and thus supposedly applied at the same time, but a problem might come up because applying unseelie "first" means the creature turns into fey which means primordial can't apply, but chances are a DM who allows them would allow both to work on the same creature.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2012, 11:43:27 PM »

I concede on the racial variants since it does say PHB races, but boy does that spoil creative variants for other races.

As for primordial and unseelie fey, it depends on how the DM interprets things.  They are both inherited templates and thus supposedly applied at the same time, but a problem might come up because applying unseelie "first" means the creature turns into fey which means primordial can't apply, but chances are a DM who allows them would allow both to work on the same creature.

As long as they're applied in the proper order, there shouldn't be a issue. It's just requirements, just as other things like feats and classes.
- All Spells
- playground

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2012, 04:58:32 PM »
The spell "Hero's Blade", ECS page 112. While from an odd domain, and a 9th level spell, among other effects it grants a keen effect that specifically stacks with the Imp Crit feat, though not the keen weapon ability.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2012, 07:48:11 PM »

If you're going to climb into what is or isn't intent by reading into the section of how to apply the template to a PHB race means PHB race only, don't 180 things and spit on Unseelie's entry because you feel like it. Unseelie is explicitly noted as being either a summon or cohort (@+1 to lvl) to PCs and lacks LA entry even in it's 3.5 update.

It's like arguing Abjurantion's Champion example proves Mage Armor to be of a different school despite lacking the text to support it, while saying the class doesn't advance Initiator Level because the ToB doesn't reference it directly. Kind of contrary indicative of each other.

Offline Cyclone Joker

• Flamboyant Flamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Hm? I don't see where it says summon or cohort only in the DrC, which is, last I checked, the most recent printing, and it does confirm the LA 0. Care to give a page number?

Offline NiteCyper

• Uploaded the stock avatar with better quality. =þ
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2012, 08:32:22 PM »
Hm? I don't see where it says summon or cohort only in the DrC, which is, last I checked, the most recent printing, and it does confirm the LA 0. Care to give a page number?

I second these counter-assertions.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:35:25 PM by NiteCyper »
What? NiteCyper's post is evolving!

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2012, 02:31:09 PM »
"Two pages up" work? No? Damn, give me a minute you won't notice here....

Dragon Compendium, page 1 and etc: This is a reprint of Dragon Mag stuff (not even noted as an update honestly).
Dragon Compendium, page 222: Stat block says +0 LA.
Dragon Compendium, page 223: No LA entry rules.

Dragon 304, page 64: For characters table entry noting they can pick up the creatures as Cohorts and Summons.
No text saying it's a template for them to take, just Cohort/Summon. Hence the observation form before. Anyway...

Dragon 304, page 64: The Unicorn is noted as a 9th level Cohort.
Dragon 304, page 66: No LA entry rules, but then again 3.0 didn't have LA rules.

Sadly, I can find no notation of Unicorn's effective character level in 3.0 SRD rules. I've never gone 100% in this as my personal tastes are simply to ban the template to begin with. I can say 3.5's Unicorn is an 8th level Cohort, 4HD & +4 in the LA entry. So best guess given examples tend to be horrendously erroneous, the correct entry should be +1 (cohort), which is based rule entry on for players holding priority over example and source having no input. But if you have some 3.0 rulebooks laying around, look up the information on Leadership & Unicorns for me and let me know what you find. Like the 3.0 Unicorn being a 9th level Cohort would prove otherwise.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 02:40:04 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »
Here's a fun one:

The Telfor template from UE is a +2 LA template that can only be applied to Humanoids and Animals.

It restricts them to being within 1 mile of the spot they first appeared in (they take 1 damage per minute outside of there; how hard is it to get Fast Healing?  :P).

But what makes it really cool is... it makes you Incorporeal, and turns your normal melee attacks into incorporeal touch attacks. And gives you Dex to hit.

So, is 2 LA worth it for Incorporeality and a permanent Wraithstrike effect? I can think of some fun things to do with Tiger Claw maneuvers and the like...

Also, through a "typo", which I don't think has been fixed... According to UE, you can play a Wolf at 2 HD and +2 LA. Which would be kinda funny.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2012, 04:06:32 PM »
Also, through a "typo", which I don't think has been fixed... According to UE, you can play a Wolf at 2 HD and +2 LA. Which would be kinda funny.

mine says LA +4 under the npc entry.

taking the template off.... a wolf is a 2 HD, +2 LA animal.... thats awesome!!!!!
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2012, 04:51:01 PM »
Well, that's with the template, which is +2 LA by the text.

I'm kinda sad that that LA is probably over-written by the Monster Manual (I haven't checked publishing dates)

I mean, 2hd and +2 LA for some free feats, some nice stats, and animal type isn't to much, right?

Might want to go Druid, to get the Fangshield Druid sub level that gives you Wild Shape (Humanoid); call yourself a werewolf, you dig?
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2012, 05:38:26 PM »
yeah, unfortunately the MM1 came out a couple months after Unapproachable East :(

and the other unfortunate thing is that the wolf actually has a "--" for LA :(  i was hoping for it to be left out, then you could argue that it was never changed :-p
- All Spells
- playground