Author Topic: Here's the deal  (Read 4183 times)

Offline BG_Meg

• BGalicious
  • Retired Admin
  • Keepin' bitches in line since 2009
    • View Profile
    • Games by Play Date
Here's the deal
« on: February 21, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »
Hey all--

Hobbies change. Le sigh.

I (clearly) don't have the time or energy to upkeep these boards. And the demands on twitter is annoying... like... I get you need help, but does anyone care how my day is?

And the letter to my house was just damn creepy.

So- two options. I could just shut it down. But I so don't want to do that! (But did I mention that someone sent a letter TO MY HOUSE?)

Or-

You all can figure it out.

Who will take over. Who will host. How will you transfer, etc.

These are hosted along with our other web stuff so I can't just turn over the password, because wow, pandora's box... so it has to be someone trustworthy to grab files and get out. I have NO ability to support from the server side. None. (Obviously)

It's definitely win-win. Keep on chatting, minmaxing a storm and get the support you actually need.

When you've decided, send me an email at gameologists at gmail.

Smooches.
I NEED YOUR HELP!

Back my game, please! And then tell 10 other people to back it. Finishes September 3rd!

PACK the PACK Kickstarter is LIVE!

Wanna chat? www.twitter.com/bg_meg

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Here's the deal
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »
Okay people, this is happening.

I can help with backend (and frontend) support but I've got no experience with this kind of website.  I know that we have some users who already have web hosting accounts.

We need a plan. 

Who's interested in hosting the site?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 03:16:50 PM »
I've already volunteered for that, since I've got a vast amount of content here I'd like to keep alive, and already have a service running for a couple sites.

I have not, however, set up and run a forum in about 7 years, not that I can't relearn.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »
but does anyone care how my day is?
Well you never asked how my day was going, I had to move a BUCKET OF PEE to get to my patient today, imagine how that went. :(

I guess we sort of already have a plan. Robby has offered, dunno if he is still interested, and as you can see Nan/Strat are up for it too. Hell I'd chip in on some hosting fees if need be too, it wouldn't be the first time I've offered.

I think the biggest thing is coming to some sort of agreement. Generally when anyone takes something over the first thing they want to do is "make it better!" which can often be to the dismay of everyone else. So whomever took things over couldn't be malicious and wipe things and hopefully isn't the kind that'd change things in such a way to drive everyone off. Maybe a discussion of what to alter or not would be just as important as who wants to do what.

I for one pretty much like most of the things as they are but would love new member sign up to be fixed.
I can see the 5th forum expanding out too if new people start coming in.

These are hosted along with our other web stuff so I can't just turn over the password, because wow, pandora's box... so it has to be someone trustworthy to grab files and get out. I have NO ability to support from the server side. None. (Obviously)
I'd think someone who is familiar with hosting a SimpleMachines forum can just tell you what files/folders they need and you could set up a googledrive or dropbox to securely transfer the files.

Offline BG_Meg

• BGalicious
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Games by Play Date
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 05:24:25 PM »
but does anyone care how my day is?
Well you never asked how my day was going, I had to move a BUCKET OF PEE to get to my patient today, imagine how that went. :(

I have 2 kids. Don't even talk to me about bodily fluids.

I guess we sort of already have a plan.
No, sort of is the point here.

I've had people email and say "hey, fix it!" or "hey, get your guy to fix it!" or "hey, I don't know what I'm doing but maybe I could fix it!"

None of that works. At all.

I can't fix it. There are problems within the files. I don't have the knowledge and don't know anyone who does.

AND- here's the issue- these are hosted right along with my other sites. Pretty simply, right on bluehost (which isn't expensive), but I can't just hand over login because then you can get into everything.

So- let me clarify...

There are 2 options. Someone could really really know what they are doing and be extremely trustworthy, but gotta tell you, I've been burned BAD in the last couple years (like, we're talking police involvement) because of trusting the wrong people so doubt that will happen. OR

Someone could know what they are doing, set up their own site, be trustworthy enough to get the keys to my backend to get all of the data out, copy it into their site and tada, off of my plate.

Again though- decide here. Talk it through. And then send me a comprehensive PLAN (not ideas or wishes) that will take max 1/2 an hour of my time.

I have a full time job, a part time consultant gig, am teaching 2 undergrad courses this semester, have 2 businesses and 2 kids... I have no time.

hehehehe... I said "keys to my backend"

I NEED YOUR HELP!

Back my game, please! And then tell 10 other people to back it. Finishes September 3rd!

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 05:51:39 PM »
In an attempt to centralize discussion, I have made a thread here to make/discuss the plan.

Also, thank you Meg for giving this to us as an option, I appreciate that you've come back to make this offer (and I'm sorry to hear you've been harassed).

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 10:48:09 PM »
Alright, which one of you dumbasses sent her a letter?

Seriously, online people knowing where you live is really creepy in this day and age.

And Meg? Thank you. Brilliantgameologists was the first forum I ever joined, and it's been... kind of important to me.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 11:41:57 PM »
Seriously, online people knowing where you live is really creepy in this day and age.
Well it is sufficient to say that the private information was expressly made public as a who-to-contact for MMX/BG-related things for the last several years by their own consent so you can kind of take that at face value.

However I PM'ed her about it and it seems like she never knew about things and never meant for that particular information to be public so it'll change soon.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 05:49:56 PM »

I have a full time job, a part time consultant gig, am teaching 2 undergrad courses this semester, have 2 businesses and 2 kids... I have no time.

Wow that's beyond Superwoman, rather more like Avatar Of Pun-Pun level.

Nice to see BG_Baby has handed off the +1 Baby Rattle Of Cuteness  :cloud9 to try out Compulsion Cantrips like MommyMommyMommyMommyMommy.

hehehehe... I said "keys to my backend"

Oh No You Di'int

Also, thank you Meg

And Meg? Thank you.

Here here, Thank's to Meg.

:love
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 09:02:50 AM »
Meg..Thanks for everything you've done in the present and past

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 02:45:36 PM »
Thank you for BG and for MMB, very much!

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 09:41:47 PM »
well, i didnt send a letter... i use twitter to contact em..

i assume that whoever run the group of websites that are cohosted can copy the bg folder and it can be pasted to wherever, at least that seems like the simple thing to me.

The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 09:13:10 PM »
me?

not the worst of 2017... but the worst one in march 2017, so far...

i carried stuff, i fixed a 'RTD' (loose wire making a bad reading), got dirty, had bad supermarket deli food for dinner. and missed out on the free hot dog lunch at work....

How was your day?
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline BG_Meg

• BGalicious
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Games by Play Date
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 02:59:35 PM »
well, i didnt send a letter... i use twitter to contact em..

i assume that whoever run the group of websites that are cohosted can copy the bg folder and it can be pasted to wherever, at least that seems like the simple thing to me.

There is NO ONE. That's the point. The whereever is also the point.

Also- you all- come up with a plan and EMAIL it to me. I can't check in here regularly. I can't even get on twitter regularly, so please don't try there either. I need 1 plan, 1 email.
I NEED YOUR HELP!