Author Topic: Chapter 1: Subversion  (Read 16948 times)

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1: Subversion
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2013, 01:53:59 AM »
Clutching the amulet she was given, Glacia smiles at the portal. Yes, we shall make a grand entrance indeed, she thinks as she steps through, feeling ready for anything.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:56:53 AM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2013, 01:57:41 AM »
Henk having already placed the medallion around his neck stepped through the portal and gave the same salute to Nalan as he had to Singorn, then stepped to the side so others could come through.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:04:47 AM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »
After tucking Singorn's medallion away beneath her robes, Chihiro walks through the portal, bowing deeply to the Suuli man.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2013, 12:41:21 PM »
Sen strides through the portal without hesitation, looking at the Suuldaran prince and bowing once she's through. "Sen Mira, student of Qi Xing Luo. Though I assume you know us all by name already."
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2013, 07:53:31 PM »
Hadron, too, accepts the amulet. He bows before the Prince, and then travels through the portal. "Greetings, your highness... I assume we have much to discuss, and I look forward to working with you toward our common goals."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:55:35 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2013, 08:47:05 PM »
Fumiko emerges from the portal after another minute or two, having finished talking with Singorn. She seems almost a different person; her shoulders are slumped, her expression less alert, and even her hair seems more disheveled than a moment ago.

After seeing Nalan though, she breaks into a broad smile. "Nalan! It's good to see a familiar face! It's Fumiko; we saw each other... two months ago I think? How have you been?"

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:26:57 PM by Prime32 »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2013, 01:10:49 AM »
As Fumiko spoke, Henk looked at her newly disheveled appearance with bewilderment.  "Whatever you 'talked' about, I hope it was worth making yourself look messy."

He made no effort to understand her actions or motives.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:08:28 AM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2013, 06:05:50 AM »

As each of you steps through the portal, Nalan Suuldaran bows and greets you rather formally.  He exudes an air of easy confidence, but as you observe him, you realize that it's brittle -- he seems incredibly nervous and desperate, bordering on terrified.  You are suddenly struck by how young he is, though over everything else is a firm layer of determination.

He's very worried, not only about the situation, but about dealing with all of you (both as individuals, and as emissaries and agents of the God-king).  However, this will not stop him from doing what must be done.

Once Fumiko steps through, the portal behind winks out, and you are in Suul.  The room is octagonal, paneled in dark wood (probably imported from Lyrhaeos), and a similarly-shaped table made of glass and metal stands above a maroon carpet of woven silk.  A number of cushioned stools surround the table.

Nalan bows again, saying in a soft voice, "You all have my gratitude for your aid in this matter. If you will sit, I can answer what questions you have."
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2013, 08:11:57 AM »
Glacia picks the spot on the man's right and takes a seat at the stool. She gives others a chance to take their seats as well. Finally, she speaks with a simple, gentle smile on her face, hoping it would calm the man's nerves. "You may call me Glacia. It is a pleasure to meet you, Lord Nalan Suuldaran. First, I want you to know that you're in good hands, so you can relax."

Her smile diminishes slightly as a measure of seriousness enters her face. "I suppose before any advanced questions can be asked, let us nail down the basics. Who: most likely the Brotherhood, Where: Suul. Why: Likely part of some larger scheme. So I suppose what needs to be asked are What specific activities have you noticed and When - how long have you noticed them?"
Hmm.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2013, 11:29:53 PM »
Henk gave Glacia an odd look.  "I suppose you're always this clinical and dry?  Well, at least you were short and concise.  If I may though, we do eventually need to know certain 'hows.'  'How are they likely infiltrating?' and 'how are they staying communicating and organized?' come to mind."

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2013, 03:01:04 AM »
Nalan clears his throat, collecting his thoughts.  He begins to speak, rather formally.  "Yes, hm, let me see.  I believe I can summarize rather easily.  My grandfather, the Eldest of us, has a number of advisors to aid him in leading the family's policies and governing decisions.  Of course," he hastens to add, "the whole family participates in these decisions, but the Eldest's opinion carries great weight, and direct contradictions are rare. 

In any case, three months ago, two of the Eldest's advisors became embroiled in a registered blood feud between their houses, which led to the death of both men.  As their replacement, my grandfather selected a relative unknown, citing (if I may paraphrase), 'an effort to inject some life and new blood into these moldy old meetings.' 

The name of this new advisor is Gryn Musker, scion of a tiny and poor House from far in the north... one of the rice families.  Musker's advice over the two months of his tenure has been extremely radical.  At first, I believed this to be simply the man trying to live up to the Eldest's vision, but I have since come to the conclusion that his actions and words can only be the result of a deliberate plot to weaken the Suuldaran (and therefor Suul itself), and possibly bring down my country as a whole.  Who else would orchestrate such an occurrence but the Brotherhood?"

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2013, 08:35:55 AM »
"Not exactly a bloody knife." Sen speaks up for the first time since sitting down opposite Nalan. "Do you know how your grandfather became aware of Lord Musker, or what other candidates he considered? What kinds of radical actions has he suggested? Does the Eldest give him more or more thorough consideration than usual? How many advisors does he employ total, in any case, compared to the number of family members at the meetings?"
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:58:08 PM by Agita »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2013, 05:36:58 AM »
Henk sat in thought for a moment.  "Weakening Suul for a takeover could be an attack from within or without.  Or both.  I would expect they have at least attempted to leverage certain internal factions to their ends.  How are the Houses faring?  Have you noticed any unusual changes in the less civilized inhabitants?  I - we, may be able to persuade some that it's in their best interests to not allow the Brotherhood to gain more power and take control."

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2013, 01:27:58 AM »
To Sen: "I believe that Lord Musker was introduced to him during the annual pilgrimage to Kalholt, on the northern coast.  He makes a point of meeting the scions of obscure houses on these things.  I don't know what other candidates he considered; I'm a junior member of the family, and not privy to the Eldest's decisions.  At the moment, Lord Musker is the most vocal of four advisors, the other three of which are older than my grandfather, and rarely speak.  Thus far..." He clears his throat again, looking uncomfortable.

"Thus far Musker's primary suggestion, disguised in various forms, has been to break ties with the God-king, 'for the good of all Suul'.  He insists that Suul can stand on its own, and perhaps even annex areas of Numenland, what he calls the Ancestral Lowlands.  Isolationism and expansionism, very unusual for my grandfather's advisors. The Eldest seems amused by his suggestions, but I am afraid that given enough time he will begin to take Lord Musker seriously, if he does not already.  My grandfather grows old, and loses some of his... perspective, given the likelihood that far-reaching consequences will evolve beyond his lifetime."

To Henk: "I'm not senior enough to be present when the House of Whispers makes its report, so I do not know if there is anything strange that hasn't begun to leak rumors.  There is a drought in the northwest, that I know, and the people are suffering hardships at the moment, which always makes the northern houses restless.  They are generally poor, and rely on food exports to the more mountainous south (here, for example) to maintain their standard of living."

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2013, 06:57:57 PM »
Glacia follows the conversation and begins to get a sense of the situation. "It seems like we still don't know enough then as far as their objectives...and it is difficult to foil a plan that you know nothing of. We may have to acquire such information ourselves..." She says, looking like she's entertaining some idea.

She looked at Nalan. "How well is this man protected? How many guards does he travel with? Are his guards normal forces or were they personally appointed? I'm not suggesting a direct confrontation, but there are other options available to us. Provided at least one of us has sufficient stealth."
Hmm.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2013, 09:14:39 PM »
"You mean Lord Musker?"

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
"Correct."
Hmm.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2013, 09:50:41 AM »
"Standard protection for the Eldest's advisors is a contingent of 20 Red- and Greenflame Elite at all times. He doesn't seem to travel much, and though I have heard stories of members of court slipping out in disguised anonymity to have more freedom, away from guards, it seems unlikely that Musker would do so... he's a man of... prodigious bulk."

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2013, 03:37:58 PM »
Sen lets out something like a sigh. "The ideal approach would be to seek audience in person about an unrelated matter, without mentioning Lord Suuldaran or the suspicions at all. Then, insinuate some things that will put him in mind of the Brotherhood and see how he reacts. All the while appearing unconnected." Sen pauses briefly, looking down at the table and then up again. "If it works, we gain more information, possibly vital information. If it doesn't, we can deflect suspicion, protect Lord Suuldaran, and know to investigate somewhere else."

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
"What unrelated, but relevant, matter do you think we might pursue?"