Author Topic: Poke-Center (OOC Discussion)  (Read 214725 times)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
Re: Pre-Campaign Discussion
« Reply #280 on: May 10, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »
All the difference in the world. Back on the air. I'm sorry Osel, that I thought that you forgot about the Feather Token. I lost track of the posting and well, reacted before I thought.

And Aria, sorry I accused you of being a borderline egomaniac.

There, I feel a lot better. Where were we?
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 10, 2012, 10:46:13 PM »
Oh well, nevermind waiting for Kong then.
I'll proceed to post right away. I'll keep my previous meh roll for demoralize since I am still demoralizing the big one (though there is no point using Never Outnumbered).

Oh, I'm doing the following actions with the idea in mind that Icy Vortex is a spread effect, like a fireball, since it's piercing ice shards appearing at a random position within 30ft from her and whirling around in every direction.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:17:08 PM by Anomander »

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 11, 2012, 01:02:26 AM »
The ship has moved another 100 feet since the last round. The right edge of the docks map connects directly to the left side of the sea map.
OH! Well, in that case, I can make the ship in one move action. Which should make this next move interesting...

That being the case, DM, I want to check your ruling on this move. Kong should be able to move to above the big pirate for a move action, and "move" down by dropping (not flying, but falling) onto said big pirate, thus charging and activating battle jump and pounce simultaneously. I wanted to know if you wanted me to make a jump check for the fall or not, or if the use of that combo after flying made you cringe. Soon as I know that, I'll have my action posted.
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 11, 2012, 01:39:47 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 11, 2012, 02:39:00 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 11, 2012, 03:04:31 AM »
Best of luck!

I might be able to survive another round or two considering I have cover against most medium-sized creatures' attacks and they cannot all attack me effectively.
If by the end of the next round the big one isn't down it might be a good idea to retreat and just take them down with ranged attacks/1 on 1.

Edit: I'm not sure what Kong just did or if he finished his actions but it just struck me that if the catapult had a shell on it (or shells close by to load it), then the possible explosion might have done a number on the mast, making the whole operation impossible. (though wood got plenty of hp, so I'm not too worried)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:19:41 AM by Anomander »

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 11, 2012, 04:12:41 AM »
He just flew onto the ship's mast. I was tempted to wait and see what the state of the ship is though...

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 11, 2012, 04:14:43 AM »
...so he is doing nothing useful beside just being there?
Why not just charge the dude head on? Or fly next to the ship and throw your bomb... so something?

I mean, the guy has no dex to AC. The best moment to strike is now.
Unless you're basically using your double move to go around her Icy Vortex avoid the damage and perch yourself above to make a good target?
...it is useful in itself but is quite a risky move. Now almost everyone on the ship can throw stuff at you, and there is a lot of people.
Though, looking at it, you'd have cover from the mast against more half of them if they don't go around and enter the icy vortex, so it's not all that bad.  :rolleyes
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:43:18 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #288 on: May 11, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »
That being the case, DM, I want to check your ruling on this move. Kong should be able to move to above the big pirate for a move action, and "move" down by dropping (not flying, but falling) onto said big pirate, thus charging and activating battle jump and pounce simultaneously. I wanted to know if you wanted me to make a jump check for the fall or not, or if the use of that combo after flying made you cringe. Soon as I know that, I'll have my action posted.

In case you missed it, Battle Jump had already been discussed in the Recruitment thread:
2) Battle Jump.
  • Can that be triggered by a simple Jump check?
  • If I jump and make a bite attack w/ improved grab, do I count as +1 size for the grapple check, or do I have to specifically attempt to grapple and not attack?
  • If I can jump and improved grab at +1 size, how does that interact with swallow whole?
-If you can both jump high enough and far enough yes. For example, to hit a regular medium creature, your jump would need to reach at least 10 feet high before falling in your enemy. However f*** what the text says, I'm errata-ing so you need to spend a standard action at the end of the jump to do the actual double-damage attack. And you can't combine it with strike maneuvers.
I believed you had noticed that conversation and were willing to acept my errata when you picked it for Kong.

Now to check the IC thread.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 11, 2012, 02:48:36 PM »
Kong has enough movement speed to fly above the icy vortex or around it and reach the mast. His elevation on the mast is higher than the vortex.
Also... daaaaym. Dude got an attack modifier higher than 18. Wicked.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 11, 2012, 03:09:08 PM »
Hurrah for monster advancment rules!

Also yes you seem to be right, kong won't need to enter the vortex if you had started it below you. Corrected.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 11, 2012, 06:27:56 PM »
AH! Totally thought that was a different campaign. Good good, makes perfect sense, I remember now. I'll put that in my priv notes on the char sheet as a reminder.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 11, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »
Crapcrapcrapcrapcrap!
I really hoped I'd post before you.

Pha can blast them all no problem but the bleeding gives her very little time and she cannot afford to give any pirate a chance to somehow roll a 20 on her or hit at all. Cover or not.

I thought I'd just Never Outnumbered' these guys to give you easy access to her so that you could double move her the frozen hell outta there.
A single move action could work, fleeing south-west.
Just move over her and keep going, you'll provoke an AoO from Pha. Let her touch attack you and she'll hold on to you without struggling.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:06:49 PM by Anomander »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 14, 2012, 05:43:27 PM »
What penalties are there for walking around on the ice?

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #294 on: May 14, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
If you fall, the Devil makes you listen to "TRAPPED UNDER ICE" by Metallica.

Actually... that's not that bad a penalty.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 14, 2012, 05:45:55 PM »
 :P

Is it difficult terrain?

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #296 on: May 14, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »
Ice is pretty smooth and easy going, really. No real attitude or anything. Oddly enough, rather chill.
Link to my homebrews

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 14, 2012, 06:00:05 PM »
What penalties are there for walking around on the ice?

Ice Sheet

The ground is covered with slippery ice. It costs 2 squares of movement to enter a square covered by an ice sheet, and the DC of Balance and Tumble checks there increases by 5. A DC 10 Balance check is required to run or charge across an ice sheet.

Also battles over the Ice occur with Ice Man running in the background.

Actually, anywhere in the Nintendo Universe there's background themes playing all the time that sometimes change when a fight starts. Big events can permanently change the background music of an area. It's highly debated among scholars if that is the echoes of the  ancient gods or some other mysterious force at play. (Need to start posting music links for each area.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 06:03:25 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 16, 2012, 01:54:13 AM »
In the absence of precise coordinates, I'll note that Kong could get to X-35 (elevation 15ft) by following his stated itinerary.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 16, 2012, 03:28:26 AM »
In the absence of precise coordinates, I'll note that Kong could get to X-35 (elevation 15ft) by following his stated itinerary.
This is good! I was leaving it because I was not 100% on your coordinates (I thought you were slightly below the lip of the ship, from when you were checking line of sight/effect earlier), and knew I'd have to go up, then over, to get around the big fat pirate.