Author Topic: Some homebrew races  (Read 3566 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Some homebrew races
« on: July 04, 2012, 08:17:47 PM »
Originally for my Magipunk setting, but really applicable anywhere and I want some feedback.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Feedback, please?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:19:53 PM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Some homebrew races
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 10:05:54 PM »
Grum: Lopsided stats (that mimic the Lifetorn's array and are exactly the same as the Mongrelfolk's), no real racial traits. Accelerated Healing might be useful at level 1 or 2, but 6 hp/hour isn't much in an adventuring day (especially the 15 minute kind).

Gremlin: Such easily accessible low-level flight is a game changer. Stat mods and tiny size virtually require this race's members to be spell casters of some sort.

Ent: You don't see many Wisdom-boosting races, I'll give you that (although plant/animal/nature = Wis feels a little cliche at this point). Other than having those helpful immunities, there's not much to this race, is there?

Do you have a crush on fire or something? Both Grums and Ents are weak to them.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:09:02 PM by Garryl »

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:04:29 PM »
Generally living green wood burns about as well as flesh.

Other than that
Grum:
See Garryls post. Lopsided Stats and otherwise useless traits.

Gremlin:
Needs at least 1 LA due to Tiny Size, DR and flight.

Ent:
Probably better to come up with a new (Non-copywritten) name
20' base speed sucks for a medium race. I get where it is coming from but I think it limits usefulness.
Wis boost makes sense, personally would go for Cha penalty due to alien mindset but Dex works.
Plant type immunities are rather powerful but less so than Warforged, consider more abilities or stealing druid abilities like Woodland Stride or Trackless Step.

I would have thought Favoured Class: Druid but that is just flavour in most cases anyway.

Plant vs Living Construct:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:23:53 PM by littha »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 02:35:02 AM »
OK, sweet, thanks guys.

So my first thought is: axe the Grum entirely (give their racial subs to goliath), give Gremlin +1 LA, and edit the "Ent" and we're cooking with grease.

Some thoughts:
~If I bump Gremlin's size to Small, they're not too different from anthrobats.  Maybe not the best race to use as a comparison, though... I could do away with the DR, I'm not attached to it.  I'm also not attached to the Dex increase.  Would it go down to LA +0 with those changes (axe DR and Dex bump, size->Small)?  If that's not enough, I'll leave it as-is and keep LA +1.

~Ent's name shall change.  Chloromorph?  I can up the speed to 30 ft and remove the fire vulnerability.  I could definitely give something like Trackless Step (favored class: Druid makes much more sense than Monk, my brain stopped working there).  So how about this for the plant race:

(click to show/hide)

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »
For the chloromorph you have to note that they are specifically not immune to critical hits and things for most of the features to makes sense. RAW they have immunity to critical hits as well as light fortification now. Same with mind affecting and polymorph

Offline AfterCrescent

• The Real Cleric
  • Lurker
  • AC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 04:35:08 PM »
Yeah, if you want them to be nature-y without being a plant, just make them Humanoid (greenblooded) or something. And then add the abilities. You can't really make them plants and then take away their natural immunities. Although I'd argue that immunity to Stunning is ridiculously good.

Everything they have and their type makes them easily a +1 LA. Take a look at Planetouched. The only reason they're +1 LA is their type. Lesser Planetouched are +0 LA and the only difference is they're Humanoid instead of Outsiders.

As for the Gremlins, making them small size and making the DR 1/4 or 5 HD would make it +0, imo.  Keeping the Dex boost and making it small seems fine. The fly speed is pretty good, but their land speed is crap and they don't have perfect mobility...
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »
Everything they have and their type makes them easily a +1 LA. Take a look at Planetouched. The only reason they're +1 LA is their type. Lesser Planetouched are +0 LA and the only difference is they're Humanoid instead of Outsiders.

The only thing they have besides their type is trackless step which I think we can all agree is a fairly minor ability. I would compare them to Warforged, especially if the wording on fortification and polymorph/mind affecting is resolved. Perhaps even a bit weaker.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 04:53:05 PM »
How's this for chloromorph? 

And the post above it is the revamped Gremlin.