Author Topic: Gramarie campaign -- who wants to DM?  (Read 24952 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: Gramarie campaign -- who wants to DM?
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2013, 08:44:31 AM »
Well, for planescape you could always start at a higher ECL by having racial hit dice or starting with a number of other class levels, and only just beginning to learn Gramarie, but that can be a slippery slope if you're trying to test the material.

Otherwise, the DM can always scale the planescape setting difficulty back from insta-death to just plain dangerous. :P

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2013, 08:48:20 AM »
Speaking of which do we want to use the Apprentice Level stuff for prc-prereq-meeting?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2013, 08:58:10 AM »
I don't really get the use of apprentice levels, and I don't really like the existence of levels that exist just to represent increasing degrees of incompetence, so not really.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
I don't really get the use of apprentice levels, and I don't really like the existence of levels that exist just to represent increasing degrees of incompetence, so not really.
The point would be to give us more diverse class features, and to open up PrCs without dipping.

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2013, 11:38:20 AM »
Also, I'd need to be able to either run combat without maps, or with fairly simple maps without having to update after every turn or two (like I have been for my 4E game, though that's a fairly unique requirement due to the necessary micromanaging of PC/NPC placement and movement issues).

Venn, I can help you with the map management. Either in Gramarie or in your 4e campaign.
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline popmicpop

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2013, 10:03:47 AM »
If we do use planescape I think we should use gestalt, because the gramarist is a non-combat class (at least at low levels) and that hopefully would somewhat balance the encounters at low levels, however, Im not sure by how much.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »
Gramarie? :huh

first thing i thought of was christopher stasheff's warlock series. ^^

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2013, 12:53:22 PM »
If we do use planescape I think we should use gestalt, because the gramarist is a non-combat class (at least at low levels) and that hopefully would somewhat balance the encounters at low levels, however, Im not sure by how much.

The only thing I want to gestalt right now is Nord Blade and that would have someone trying to kill me. :lmao

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
I actually like the Nord's Blade. Phaedrus is playing one in Legacy of the Makers.

Offline M. M.

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »
Hey yall! I've got a good amount of experience with play-by-post and, although I'm not an experienced DM, I have a homebrew setting that would fit this great. I'd be interested in DMing this if anyone wants me to.  :)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »
Hey yall! I've got a good amount of experience with play-by-post and, although I'm not an experienced DM, I have a homebrew setting that would fit this great. I'd be interested in DMing this if anyone wants me to.  :)

What's the setting? I'm really unsure about anything that apparently fits great without evidence, sorry. :(

Offline M. M.

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »
Oh ha my bad. I should've included more information! Give me a few minutes and I'll convert my notes on the setting into a post for your viewing.

Offline M. M.

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2013, 10:05:07 PM »
Here's the basic run-down on my homebrew setting, Akasha.

Akasha is a very low-magic setting. Most civilizations are roughly medieval- or renaissance-level in sophistication. Magic is currently no more common in Akasha than it is in the real world. The faith of the Three Gods is followed in most of the world; it involves the worship of the Sun, Moon, and Ocean, though many factions revere one over the others. There are two major landmasses.

One, called Aurelian, is home to the Giant's Kingdom, ruled by a monarch who traces his lineage back to the mythic Alpha, the giant who built the ancient stone castles which stand throughout the kingdom. These castles dot the landscape and have been inhabited since the beginning of recorded history, and act as the seats of the feudal lords and ladies who rule the continent. Aurelian is also characterized by the presence of Mother Trees, massive trees as tall as towers which are the center of the ancient faith of the sky-worshippers. Vast fertile forests can be found surrounding Mother Trees wherever they take root.

The other is called Odyssia. South and east of Aurelian, Odyssia has none of the lushness of the other continent. The Dragon's Desert covers most of the eastern continent; it is a wasteland, with little life in it. To the west, across a massive mountain range called the Lords, is a landscape of fertile rainforest filled with Ocean-worshipping tribes.

An archipelago called the Free Isles is north of Odyssia and east of Aurelian. These Isles are the center of trade and science for the world, and are inhabited by dozens of independent city-states.

Possible ways for gramarie to come into being:
- Study of the properties of the Mother Trees leads to the invention of Geoccultism.
- The decadent Lord Umber of Rosary, one of the cities of the Free Isles, funds secretive research on human anatomy and physiology. These studies, some of them rather questionable in nature, lead to the invention of Biollurgy.
- Scholars in the service of a baron in the Giant's Kingdom are designing new war machines. They begin inventing principles of gramarie, becoming Warmakers.
- The aspect of the Ocean, ever mysterious and fickle, appears to a human or humans in a dream, granting them secrets that form the foundation of gramarie. Its motivations are unknown.
- Natural philosophers in the Free Isles make astonishing breakthroughs, laying the foundation for gramarie.
- An explorer in the Dragon's Desert or an archaeologist in the Giant's Kingdom uncovers old writings and blueprints describing basic gramaric principles.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2013, 10:07:39 PM »
Low magic? :/

Offline M. M.

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2013, 11:27:16 PM »
I thought that was what you were looking for. Somewhere with little magic, where the gramarists come in and can start a scientific revolution with their hitherto-unheardof powers.
But I mean if that's not what you're looking for don't worry about it! Another setting may work better.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2013, 08:20:41 AM »
I think the last setting discussed was Planescape, so I don't think Low Magic was the goal...

Offline Valixes

• Lurker
  • Knight of Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2013, 09:49:54 AM »
From a gameplay perspective, Gestalt would help out the MAD that is Warmaker quite a bit.
Setting it from Sigil might provide a...Much bigger playground, so to speak.
But a self contained world might illicit larger impacts of said playing.

Also, hiya! Gramarie is awesome. MY EYES ARE ON THIS.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »
How many people are interested, now? :lmao

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2013, 10:15:27 AM »
How many people are interested, now? :lmao
We could run two competing corporations...

Offline Valixes

• Lurker
  • Knight of Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »
Yes, and we'll call them Black Science and Aperture Mesa.