Author Topic: [3.5] Neutral/Evil Campaign [Sandbox][Mature]  (Read 47571 times)

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
Re: [3.5] Neutral/Evil Campaign [Sandbox][Mature]
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 06:27:55 PM »
I think my choice would be Dread Champion, if it's approved, since I've never played one. I've always wanted to do Warpsol/Soulfused Transcendant, though.

The classe's mechanics themselves are very balanced, i just need to check the disciplines, to see if they are too.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 06:31:23 PM »
Um... I'm a bit confused about the polymorph criticism of MA, since until level 6 that doesn't show up, and they can only use the SLA's 1+Wis mod times per day (and they have to cut into that to get movement modes and stuff), which means MAD... but it's fine, heh.

Gambler: I don't know, i'd have to look over every maneuver. Also, they are gamblers, but they don't really seem to take much risk, if at all. They get bonuses to AC, evasion, DR/- equal to half the class level a few times a day, etc... I'd REALLY have to think this one through.

Isn't that the mark of a good Gambler? :p

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »
Linklord: A divine adaptation wouldn't fit in this scenario, since divine classes worship the "one true God", and a Binder inherently gets his power from elsewhere. A psionic adaptation, on the other hand, could be done.

I was going along the lines of worshiping the pagan gods that he Binds, but yeah psionics could work too if nobody has a homebrew version I like better.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 06:45:10 PM »
Um... I'm a bit confused about the polymorph criticism of MA, since until level 6 that doesn't show up, and they can only use the SLA's 1+Wis mod times per day (and they have to cut into that to get movement modes and stuff), which means MAD... but it's fine, heh.

Gambler: I don't know, i'd have to look over every maneuver. Also, they are gamblers, but they don't really seem to take much risk, if at all. They get bonuses to AC, evasion, DR/- equal to half the class level a few times a day, etc... I'd REALLY have to think this one through.

Quote from: Monstrous Armor
Monstrous Armor grants the following benefits:
-The armor is treated as if it were Light armor if the summoned creature would be smaller than you, Medium armor if the creature would be your size, or Heavy if the creature would be larger than your size.
-The armor grants an Armor bonus to AC equal to the Natural Armor bonus of the summoned creature.
-The armor's wearer gains the summoned creature's natural weapons, which deal damage based off of the wearer's size, rather than that of the summoned creature; they are proficient in these natural weapons.
-The wearer gains all the Ex abilities of the summoned creature.
-The wearer is treated as if they have the Slight Build ability if the creature would be smaller than the wearer, or the Powerful Build ability if the creature was larger.
-The wearer gains the creature's Strength modifier as a bonus to their Strength.
-The Maximum Dexterity Bonus of the armor is equal to the Dexterity modifier of the summoned creature.
-The wearer gains a number of Temporary hit points equal to the HP of the summoned creature.
-The armor has an enhancement bonus equal to the highest Summon Monster level that the wearer can access for the purpose of this ability (Maximum +5). In addition, the Natural Weapons from this armor gain a bonus equal to the highest Summon Monster level the wearer can access for the purpose of this ability (Maximum +5).

It's an armor, but like Alter Self, you gain the Natural Attacks of the creature. You gain Powerful Build if the creature is Large, which is sometimes even better than actually being Large. Temp HP = Creature's HP. Wow, that's a pretty big damage sponge, even at level 1, more than doubles your HP in some cases. You gain all the [Ex] Abilities, and can even use some of the (SU) abilities, albeit limitedly, something you can only normally do with Metamorphosis/Alternate Form and Assume Supernatural Ability.

And Shape of the Creature is arguably worse than just using the armor. You already get almost everything the creature gets with just the armor, and if you spent gold to add that special ability that lets you carry it over to an alternate form, you can be two creatures at once, basically, once you get a way to access Polymorph/Normal Wildshape/Metamorphosis through some means...

I'll grant it to you, if played straight to 20, it's not bad. My problem is how the armor interacts with polymorph and other polymorph like abilities...

@Linklord: In this setting, Druids and Binders are linked to pagan gods (like the Nordic druids and such), while Clerics are really tied to the Christian God parallel i'm using. Psionics are VIEWED by the Church as a gift from God, but that doesn't mean that is what it is. Everyone has different theories for that.

I'll expand a bit more if the game takes off... I'm just checking interest for now
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:47:08 PM by brujon »
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »
What's the expected leveling rate? Is this something where we should assume that maturation of a character concept needs to come earlier than later? Are we talking "well, after two years, we're finally almost the next level!", or is it more like "well, we leveled 4 or 5 times this year" type PbP?

Also, general power level?

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 07:03:15 PM »
 :D i figured

i'll just do a Warblade turtle-tank

is the Maeluth from Fiend Folio or Azerblood available as a 'lesser' version?

is Steel Mountain a discipline that's fine for this game?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 07:07:09 PM »

Azerblood are the Outsider dwarves, correct? I'm AFB, but i might work something out if we lose the Outsider type. Maeluth i don't know, but i can look into. Discipline will be checked out.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 07:21:09 PM »
Linklord: A divine adaptation wouldn't fit in this scenario, since divine classes worship the "one true God", and a Binder inherently gets his power from elsewhere. A psionic adaptation, on the other hand, could be done.

I was going along the lines of worshiping the pagan gods that he Binds, but yeah psionics could work too if nobody has a homebrew version I like better.
Hey Linklord -- Warpsoul has already been approved, and if you mix in Binder, you get Warped Disciple.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 07:25:14 PM »
I think my choice would be Dread Champion, if it's approved, since I've never played one. I've always wanted to do Warpsol/Soulfused Transcendant, though.

The classe's mechanics themselves are very balanced, i just need to check the disciplines, to see if they are too.
Crimson Earth may cause you problems, since TL explicitly made it on the powerful side, but I don't have an issue swapping it out for something else. The others should be fine.

Maybe... Dark Messiah? Dread Crown?

EDIT: Wait wait wait.  What about a Panphobic? It's almost finished, just a little tweakage.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:26:58 PM by sirpercival »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »

Quote from: Monstrous Armor
Monstrous Armor grants the following benefits:
-The armor is treated as if it were Light armor if the summoned creature would be smaller than you, Medium armor if the creature would be your size, or Heavy if the creature would be larger than your size.
-The armor grants an Armor bonus to AC equal to the Natural Armor bonus of the summoned creature.
-The armor's wearer gains the summoned creature's natural weapons, which deal damage based off of the wearer's size, rather than that of the summoned creature; they are proficient in these natural weapons.
-The wearer gains all the Ex abilities of the summoned creature.
-The wearer is treated as if they have the Slight Build ability if the creature would be smaller than the wearer, or the Powerful Build ability if the creature was larger.
-The wearer gains the creature's Strength modifier as a bonus to their Strength.
-The Maximum Dexterity Bonus of the armor is equal to the Dexterity modifier of the summoned creature.
-The wearer gains a number of Temporary hit points equal to the HP of the summoned creature.
-The armor has an enhancement bonus equal to the highest Summon Monster level that the wearer can access for the purpose of this ability (Maximum +5). In addition, the Natural Weapons from this armor gain a bonus equal to the highest Summon Monster level the wearer can access for the purpose of this ability (Maximum +5).

It's an armor, but like Alter Self, you gain the Natural Attacks of the creature. You gain Powerful Build if the creature is Large, which is sometimes even better than actually being Large. Temp HP = Creature's HP. Wow, that's a pretty big damage sponge, even at level 1, more than doubles your HP in some cases. You gain all the [Ex] Abilities, and can even use some of the (SU) abilities, albeit limitedly, something you can only normally do with Metamorphosis/Alternate Form and Assume Supernatural Ability.

And Shape of the Creature is arguably worse than just using the armor. You already get almost everything the creature gets with just the armor, and if you spent gold to add that special ability that lets you carry it over to an alternate form, you can be two creatures at once, basically, once you get a way to access Polymorph/Normal Wildshape/Metamorphosis through some means...

I'll grant it to you, if played straight to 20, it's not bad. My problem is how the armor interacts with polymorph and other polymorph like abilities...

The three things I guess I'm most interested in playing: Monstrous Armiger, the Nasili thing, and a Far Realms Warlock. Guess I'll wait and see what else other people come up with before deciding on which.

... would single-class anyway. Saves effort. :lmao

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 07:36:35 PM »

Crimson Earth may cause you problems, since TL explicitly made it on the powerful side, but I don't have an issue swapping it out for something else. The others should be fine.

EDIT: Wait wait wait.  What about a Panphobic? It's almost finished, just a little tweakage.

I like Panphobic. It's very interesting. But hard to roleplay... I'll allow it!

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 07:53:35 PM »

I like Panphobic. It's very interesting. But hard to roleplay... I'll allow it!
Done! *scurries off to finish class*

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 08:02:19 PM »

the discipline seems very non-overwhelming, vs. some of the others on here

they both are native outsiders, but if you allow the 'lesser' version from the Player's Guide to Faerun, then they become Humanoids with the appropriate base race descriptor (in both cases dwarf) and 'planetouched'

both are then effectively dwarves with mixed blood

Azerblood are the Outsider dwarves, correct? I'm AFB, but i might work something out if we lose the Outsider type. Maeluth i don't know, but i can look into. Discipline will be checked out.
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Mm... the allure of fire tempts me, Naseli's probably my main choice.

I cannot help but be amazed that it's a class that ends in vaporising water with your mere presence.

I think most of its stuff is meant to be put out with magic, anyway, going by World in Flames. :p

... though it gets a bit harder when they start having a dispel magic effect on. Eh, suppose things should get harder to put out, anyway. :lmao
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:23:14 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 08:30:24 PM »

I cannot help but be amazed that it's a class that ends in vaporising water with your mere presence.

I think most of its stuff is meant to be put out with magic, anyway, going by World in Flames. :p

... though it gets a bit harder when they start having a dispel magic effect on. Eh, suppose things should get harder to put out, anyway. :lmao

Yes, like i said, there are some problematic abilities... But the class itself is pretty solid, and has a very interesting fluff. Kind of remembers me of the Burned Man from Planescape: Torment, who opened a conduit to the Elemental Plane of Fire through himself... I'm also somewhat wary of the fact they get a really good penetration on fire resistance, and eventually even get to bypass fire immunity. That's a LOT of feats right there for you to do the same with spells, for example, but because spellcasters get so much more versatility i think it's fine to allow it.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 09:00:01 PM »

Yes, like i said, there are some problematic abilities... But the class itself is pretty solid, and has a very interesting fluff. Kind of remembers me of the Burned Man from Planescape: Torment, who opened a conduit to the Elemental Plane of Fire through himself... I'm also somewhat wary of the fact they get a really good penetration on fire resistance, and eventually even get to bypass fire immunity. That's a LOT of feats right there for you to do the same with spells, for example, but because spellcasters get so much more versatility i think it's fine to allow it.

One feat. Less efficient penetration of fire immunity. Scorching Spell is not exactly hard to get. Or they can just go with Energy Substitution (Acid) and sidestep the matter entirely. XD

Probably going to use the ACF's to A) not be stuck in the middle of melee with a class that burns off its armour regularly and B) be able to use blast shapes, because they're fun.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 09:12:21 PM »
Could've sworn it had pre-requisites... It's actually called Searing Spell, but it still costs 1 spell slot higher, so if you want to apply it with no penalty, you need to burn another feat on Easy Metamagic or be an Incantatrix or somesuch. But it's not really that much unbalanced given that they specialize so much in it, it would be pretty bad if they didn't get that.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 09:16:59 PM »
The hard part is working out why this person has the ability to burn things. Any easily-accessible level 1 thing representing a link to the Elemental Plane of Fire? :lmao

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 09:23:35 PM »
Naseli's pretty fun. I wanted to play one for a while. I'll be interested to see how it actually plays in practice, so I'll definitely at least read this campaign as it's going along. :D

The premise is definitely interesting besides. The first thing that popped into my head was Binder, and then saw that you addressed that in the houserules. Also glad someone else had the same thought and was considering it. :)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 09:29:32 PM »
This looks pretty sweet! I has some ideaz:

Thaumurai
Astronomer
Nomad (possibly with some brewed disciplines)
Jester (possibly with some brewed disciplines)
War Frenzy