Author Topic: May be starting a Maptools game, possibly need players  (Read 25172 times)

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
Re: May be starting a Maptools game, possibly need players
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 12:42:55 PM »
Sorry i didn't respond to your PM, Sinfire, I was working during the day, and by the time I got off it was too late.

It's alright. No one showed up (largely due to my screwup on the login).

Ok, so planning for the session next week...  I could not connect at all, is it possible for you to make a named server for us to join, rather than direct/IP connection?

I'll try messing around with it. I don't know why a direct connection didn't work.

The Goliath build I mentioned... I would probably be multiclassing Martial ("feat") Rogue [UA] with Barbarian.  I would want to use Whirling Frenzy [UA] and Mountain Rage [RoS] (since mountain rage adds on to the existing rage modifiers, that should be fine, right?) and take Wolf Totem [UA] and Lion Spirit Totem [CC].  On the rogue side...maybe Wilderness Rogue [UA] as well just for flavor.  Maybe eventually I'd go into Dungeoncrasher Fighter [Dun], but only if there's a PC willing to put up Blockade [CS] spells for me.
Feats I'd be going for would include Knockback, Cometary Collision [PH2], Leap Attack [CAdv], and Shock Trooper [CW], so I can use foes like bowling balls.

Please let me know if any of that is problematic.

Another idea... something I'd love to get to play... is my Capoeirista class, if you're willing to look it over and approve it.  It's a full BAB unarmed class with some bard-like party buffs and roguish feinting, good offense but slightly squishy.

I'm fine with you stacking Whirling Frenzy and Mountain Rage. I'll have to look into your fix though.

Also, is this what you meant by your weapons houserules?

Yeah, that's it.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 02:14:16 PM »
Ok, now that I have had some time to look at your weapon rules...

Umm...What was the purpose of 49 pages of houserules on weapons?

I can't even tell if it's really buffing them or nerfing them, seems like a mix of both.  (Like, spiked chain and anything similar to it seems straight-up nerfed; the penalties for using a non-proficient weapon are ridiculously massive, etc..).
Are augmentations replacements for enhancement bonuses, or an additional options?  Why did you leave unarmed combat completely in the dark when its the most suboptimal fighting style in the game?

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »
Ok, now that I have had some time to look at your weapon rules...

Umm...What was the purpose of 49 pages of houserules on weapons?

I can't even tell if it's really buffing them or nerfing them, seems like a mix of both.  (Like, spiked chain and anything similar to it seems straight-up nerfed; the penalties for using a non-proficient weapon are ridiculously massive, etc..).
Are augmentations replacements for enhancement bonuses, or an additional options?  Why did you leave unarmed combat completely in the dark when its the most suboptimal fighting style in the game?

• I didn't do a bare bones version, cause I'm an idiot (most of those pages are tables and fluff, if I cut out the latter it would be much smaller)
  • I was trying to bring weapon more in-line with each other, so both buffs and small nerfs were included.
  • Augmentations are replacing normal weapon enhancements, but the list isn't finished just yet (the fix is still in Beta, and I have some testplay results from a few IRL games)
  • Haven't gotten around to that, just like guns, cursed augmentations, special ammunition, weapon modifications, and other items I'm working on.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2013, 05:26:05 PM »
1. That's still a lot of rules text, either way.
2. This is more than small nerfs... there simply isn't a "spiked chain" option any more, not without provoking when using the weapon.  And the closest thing I see to the basic guisarme is the Fauchard, a simple weapon with slightly worse damage and only a single augment slot, with no martial/exotic variations that have more power.
3. Ok, given that...this seems completely unbalanced.  Some weapons only have one augment slot and others have FIVE.  And, not that any weapon properties could ever possibly compete with magic enhacements anyway, but...the high slot weapons aren't even necessarily worse than lower slot weapons, even within the same simple/martial/exotic category.  And again, that massively screws over unarmed (only one augment slot), when it sucks the hardest to begin with.
4. There's...more?

Sorry...I don't think I want anything to do with this new system.  I'm going to look into caster types, I guess.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2013, 06:10:47 PM »
Sorry...I don't think I want anything to do with this new system.  I'm going to look into caster types, I guess.
This is why I play sorcerers.
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »
1. That's still a lot of rules text, either way.
2. This is more than small nerfs... there simply isn't a "spiked chain" option any more, not without provoking when using the weapon.  And the closest thing I see to the basic guisarme is the Fauchard, a simple weapon with slightly worse damage and only a single augment slot, with no martial/exotic variations that have more power.
3. Ok, given that...this seems completely unbalanced.  Some weapons only have one augment slot and others have FIVE.  And, not that any weapon properties could ever possibly compete with magic enhacements anyway, but...the high slot weapons aren't even necessarily worse than lower slot weapons, even within the same simple/martial/exotic category.  And again, that massively screws over unarmed (only one augment slot), when it sucks the hardest to begin with.
4. There's...more?

• It is, which is why I posted it years ago. Still haven't gotten much feedback beyond occasional comments and IRL testing.
  • I realized that long after I posted the current version. Lucerne Hammers are a reach weapon, but as far as tripping goes the Whip and Fauchard are the only options (something I am working on correcting).
  • Augment slots were a big bit of feedback, and I'm revising them so there isn't such a big disparity. Again, never got around to actually redesigning Unarmed Strikes to be useful. The main goal of the Augment system was to reduce the price of enhancements to a more manageable level for WBL.
  • Not yet, working on that.

Like I said, still working on it.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 05:09:30 AM »
I'm tempted to do a swordsage of... some description. Shadow Blade, maybe, or whatever that one's called. Hmm...

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 01:07:12 PM »
I'm tempted to do a swordsage of... some description. Shadow Blade, maybe, or whatever that one's called. Hmm...

It's looking like the party is going to be highly magical, as my IRL players have asked about Ardent and DFA.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 01:11:42 PM »

It's looking like the party is going to be highly magical, as my IRL players have asked about Ardent and DFA.

Huh.

... nope, not sure that really helps me pick. It just moves the focus to everything else in the book. x_x
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:15:10 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 02:10:01 PM »

Huh.

... nope, not sure that really helps me pick. It just moves the focus to everything else in the book. x_x

Well it is Eberron, so having a Swordsage on top of the rest of the magical members wouldn't be a bad thing.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 04:09:42 AM »

Tell you what, if the unarmed combat rules aren't changed, I'll play a monk.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »

Tell you what, if the unarmed combat rules aren't changed, I'll play a monk.

The only change was a final verdict on TWFing with Unarmed Strikes (need another weapon), and that they are both natural weapons and manufactured weapons (and that Monks are proficient with them as a result). Also I know you well enough to expect something nutty, even if you're playing a Monk. Unless you're planning on making fun of a certain Monk's Handbook...

Would you like the unmodified version of the Monk, or for me to give it a quick patch (namely Armor and Skills)?

Also, one of my IRL players has decided: She's playing a Human (later Dragonborn) Dragonfire Adept.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:05:15 AM by Sinfire Titan »

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2013, 11:33:26 AM »
Let's see what the quick patch for the monk is before making any decision.

How do you feel about the Azerblooded, descendants of a dwarf and an azer from DR350 p. 50?

(click to show/hide)

Would you be willing to homebrew a lesser Azerblooded race ike with Lesser Tieflings and Aasimars?

Here would be my suggestion:

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:47:53 AM by Solo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
That lesser version appears to basically be a dwarf. :lmao

Was going to do unarmed swordsage, but if you're doing a monk that probably isn't for the best.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:26:43 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2013, 12:02:36 PM »
That lesser version appears to basically be a dwarf. :lmao
With the outsider subtype. ;)

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2013, 12:08:38 PM »
Let's see what the quick patch for the monk is before making any decision.

(click to show/hide)

And Raineh's right, except for the Native Outsider part and a few +1s/+2s against certain things. I know why you want it (Alter Self), and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with it. IIRC, the best you could get as far as stats go would be the Dwarven Ancestor. If you can provide me a list of Alter Self stats that you'd be interested in, I'd consider it (I've checked the handbook, all it lists is page numbers).

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »
Aside from utility purposes, its basically just Dwarven Ancestor for combat.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »
Aside from utility purposes, its basically just Dwarven Ancestor for combat.

I'll think about it.

I forgot to mention this about the skills, but if you want to you can use the condensed list:

Acrobatics [Dex/Con, Balance+Tumble]
Antagonize [Str/Cha, Bluff+Intimidate]
Athletics* [Str, Climb+Jump+Swim]
Control Shape [Con/Wis, unchanged]
Craft [Dex/Int, Craft+Disguise]
Focus [Con/Wis, Autohypnosis+Concentration]
Inspect* [Wis, Appraise+Search+Sense Motive]
Legerdemain [Dex/Int, Disable Device+Open Lock+Sleight of Hand+Use Rope]
Lore [Int/Wis, Knowledges+Martial Lore]
Manipulate Device* [Cha, Use Magic Device+Use Psionic Device]
Mysticism [Int/Cha, Psicraft+Spellcraft]
Perception [Int/Wis, Spot+Listen]
Perform [Dex/Cha, unchanged]
Politics [Wis/Cha, Diplomacy+Gather Information]
Praxis [Int/Cha, Decipher Script+Forgery+Speak Language]
Profession [Int/Wis, unchanged]
Stealth* [Dex, Hide+Escape Artist+Move Silently]
Survival [Con/Wis, Heal+Survival]
Taming [Str/Cha, Handle Animal+Ride]

If your class has one of the skills listed in brackets, you have the skill listed next to it.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2013, 06:46:18 PM »
Update: The Dragonfire Adept is done with her sheet, and will be sending me the finalized version once she finishes her backstory.

The other player has expressed a desire to play a LN Incarnate. Dunno if this makes a difference, as he hasn't fully made up his mind yet.

Edit: And I forgot about the HP house rule. Starting HP is Con Score+Max HD.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2013, 10:42:19 PM »
I...really don't even know what to make, considering the weapons rules aren't even "finished."  Makes it kind of difficult.  Not sure I still want to play...  I tried thinking about a caster...I'm sick of having to put off playing noncasters because the game I'm looking to join is inhospitable to them.

If you have someone more enthusiastic, maybe they should take my spot.