Author Topic: Askewed  (Read 8013 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Askewed
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of running a game on here and managed came up with something that I think is both cool and could only be done as a PBP. I'm calling it Askewed for now but on to those little factoids you want to know.

System: D&D 3.5, little house rules.
Players: 4~5, more possible if you collaborate (see below).
Style of Play: Mix of everything with the goal of fun.
Allowed Content: WotC official, DragonMag/Dragonlance/Post_House_Rules mostly no but you could try hitting me up for it. There are some tweaks, Alignment requirements can be met by flavor, you can sub out using an Ability for another within reason (ie wisdom based sorcerers or dex for damage acrobats), and some other minor things I've never really wrote down. Of allowed content, go with per intent readings of it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The World:
(click to show/hide)
The Game
(click to show/hide)
Character Creation: PB34, up to 2 role-altering-level Flaws (ie better not see -3 to Will), no LA-Buyoff, moderation optimization as I would like to be able to crack open a Manual and use a monster rather than having to adjust its Feats and give it Class levels to challenge your characters kthx. It would be helpful if as a team you covered your bases, IE not everyone is a Wizard and dies against the first AMF using monster thrown at you.

For world's sake. No Planetouched or totally odd characters, aim for something that lives on Earth and doesn't chew on people for a food source. Preferably something that can sit in western style chairs and do homework seeing how it'll be attending a school.

As noted, Alignment isn't a big deal. You have friends and the world doesn't want to rip your head off, so if you're "Evil" then you are in for the profits and have an excuse ready if that place you hide bodies at is ever found.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Stuff: Necromacy is bad, like really bad, like lose your head bad. And just because I said that, doesn't mean you need Favored Enemy(undead) :p

Also certain classes have attached flavor to them. Wizard for example means during your senor year you were looking to attend a prestigious wizard-Only school for in depth study (done over the character break). Barbarians live in the north but sometimes bastardize kids in the more heated temperate of the kingdom, etc. I mean the world is generic fantasy, but I'm still stealing ideas from other sources here.

Lastly, on that 4~5 Players & see notes. If you like, you can get together with someone and have them run an earlier or later version of the one you play. Just try to maintain some cohesion. This multi-timeline thing sounds awesome and not sure how its going to work but I want to give it a try.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:02:49 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: Askewed
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 11:22:11 AM »
Hmmm, interesting. What if your build includes a prestige class with a fluff requirement?

Because I am interested, and I kinda want to revive an old Warlock build (that involves a buncha homebrew). That steals people's identities, and hunts their friends.

He, of course, only does this as a mercenary assassin type thing.

If that's too odd, I have other ideas. But color me interested.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 11:29:58 AM »
Are you allowing homebrew?  If so, I have a class I'm working on right now that I want to play.  I want to play it so bad.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »
I'm at work so can't get in depth but am posting to declare tentative interest. 

Edit: Sounds very interesting.  A game that isn't high optimization, I 100% have some ideas that I'd love to work with!

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:00:03 PM »
Q: Hmmm, interesting. What if your build includes a prestige class with a fluff requirement?
A: Then make it happen when it should (if requires DM help, DM requires help knowing what you require).

Q: Are you allowing homebrew?
A: Yes, but I don't have preapproved lists and generally dislike most homebrew that calls it's self a fix but that probably stems from different views on what to do to 'fix' D&D. Anyway, new stuff is always interesting (and often better written >.>)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:10:15 PM »
Well the class I'm working on, which will probably be posted on GitP in a day or two (and over here in a month when the contest closes) is called the Extractor, and is based off of Dom Cobb from Inception.

I'll post a link as soon as it's up, so you can vet it.  If that doesn't make the cut, I'd like to try a Ley Engineer or a Cycle Warden.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 09:52:16 AM »
Throwing my hat in as well. No idea what to play yet...

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:09:55 AM »
Are there alignment restrictions?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 10:28:54 AM »
The OP says no to that.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 11:02:23 AM »
Ahh, so it is!

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »
Very interested.  Considering a Fochlucan Lyrist, since the pre-reqs are such a PITA in most games.

EDIT: Magic of Incarnum okay?  Specifically, Rilkan Rogue substitution levels?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:45:24 AM by InnaBinder »
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »
I've got at least three ideas I'm playing with, since a balanced party is requested I think I'll wait before deciding on one.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »
I guess I'm going with either a Hexblade or a Binder... Not sure which one yet... But most likely Binder...

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 01:02:12 PM »
Q: Are there alignment restrictions?
A: You have friends and the world doesn't want to rip your head off is the closest thing to an Alignment rule I have. What ever you are is at least civilized enough your first reaction to a situation isn't murder everyone in the room and steal everything isn't nailed down and on fire. Put some effort in your twisted character, if you want to break into the treasure room set someone else up to take the blame or if you want to sacrifice virgins you better have kept things clean and choose targets that don't have access to magical stuff like Locate Creature or Raise Dead.

Q: Magic of Incarnum okay?  Specifically, Rilkan Rogue substitution levels?
A: Yes, yes, and before you ask yes. Rilkan Rogue is great for Fochlucan Lyrist.

Also posting a rather large view of the world.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 01:07:02 PM »
Q: Are there alignment restrictions?
A: You have friends and the world doesn't want to rip your head off is the closest thing to an Alignment rule I have. What ever you are is at least civilized enough your first reaction to a situation isn't murder everyone in the room and steal everything isn't nailed down and on fire. Put some effort in your twisted character, if you want to break into the treasure room set someone else up to take the blame or if you want to sacrifice virgins you better have kept things clean and choose targets that don't have access to magical stuff like Locate Creature or Raise Dead.

Q: Magic of Incarnum okay?  Specifically, Rilkan Rogue substitution levels?
A: Yes, yes, and before you ask yes. Rilkan Rogue is great for Fochlucan Lyrist.

Also posting a rather large view of the world.
[Mr. Burns]Excellent[/Mr. Burns].  Rilkan Expert 1/Rogue 3/Beguiler 1/Druid 5/FL 10 looks highly probable at this juncture.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »
Is Ur-Priest fine if used in a non-broken manner?  I can give you a build stub if that makes it easier.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »
If the 'brews are OK, I'd kinda like to play a:

Warlock 6/Unrepentant Pact-Bound Hunter 10/Something 4

I'm planning on taking the Baptism of the Shattered Oak, using the Favored Enemy generated by using Mask of Flesh.

Does that seem acceptable? I can basically fluff it as an assassin for hire (you ever read Scud the Disposable Assassin? Kinda like that.), or as more of a bounty-hunter type (I'm sure there is a nonlethal Eldritch Essence somewhere)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 09:27:37 PM »
Boards up, but no time to answer questions for now so I'll get those later.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »
Currently have room for 2 people to join. Not much has happened really. We're one of the slower games apparently. You're welcome to help motivate people to speed things up through. :)

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »
Hmmmm, seems interesting.

So you have (in the future, since everyone is an NPC class at 1...)
 - Tristan the rogue
 - Galen the ranger/barb/monk (Fatal Fury? :P)
 - Rilkan going for a beguiler/druid lyrist
 - Hieronymus the TOB tank/ardent
 - Gnomey the shadowcaster

So you have a roguish sort, two melee monsters, a shadowcaster (forget their focus, but iirc illusion is big), and an illusion/nature double-caster. Lemme see if I can't think of something fun to add....
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.