• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Sirine
« on: November 02, 2018, 08:04:08 PM »
Sirine

HD:d6
Level   BAB   Fort   Ref   Will   Feature

1   +0   +0   +2   +2   Sirine Body, Charming Song, Amphibious, Intelligence Damage, Cha+1
2   +1   +0   +3   +3   Fey Singer, Change Shape, Dex+1
3   +1   +1   +3   +3   Initiate Underwater Magic, Wild Empathy, Cha+1
4   +2   +1   +4   +4   Advanced Underwater Magic, Melodic Magic, Dex+1
5   +2   +1   +4   +4   Lure, Cha+1, Dex+1

Skills:6+int modifier per level, quadruple at 1st level. Her class skills are Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Disguise,  Diplomacy , Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Hide, Knowledge (Nature), Listen , Perform (any), Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, and Use Magic Device

Proficiencies: A Sirine is proficient with simple weapons, short swords, and shortbows

Features:
Sirine body: the sirine loses all other racial bonus and gains fey traits (basicaly low light vision). She is a medium sized fey with base speed 30 foot and swim speed double to her base speed.

She gains the aquatic subtype, which means she can breathe underwater and doesn't take penalties for fighting while swimming.

The Sirine also gains a deflection bonus to AC equal to her Cha modifier and DR/cold iron equal to half her HD.

A Sirine has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. She can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. She can use the run action while swimming, provided she swims in a straight line.

She also gains a racial bonus to perform checks equal to her class level and half her other HD.

Sirine levels stack with Bard levels for the purpose of determining her daily uses of her bardic music abilities.

Charming Song:
Once per day per HD, the Sirine can begin to sing a special song. This functions as a Charm Person spell-like ability with a save DC equal to 10+1/2HD+Cha and it affects everyone within a range of 5 feet per HD who can hear her sing and the effect lasts as long as they remain within range and can hear her singing. A Sirine's song can also be heard underwater and also affects those underwater within range. Anyone who enters the area, must make a save to avoid being charmed. Maintaining the singing follows the full rules of a bard maintaining Bardic Music.

At 3 HD, this ability can also affect animals and at 5 HD it can affect all creatures.

At 10 HD, the effect lingers for five rounds after the Sirine stops singing.

At 12 HD the Charming Song can affect even opponents normally immune to it, but such enemies gain a +5 bonus on their saves and the range increases to 10 feet per HD.

Ability increase: the sirine gains Cha + 1 at levels 1, 3, and 5, and Dex +1 at levels 2, 4, and 5 for a total of +3 cha and +3 dex.

Amphibious (Ex):Although sirines are aquatic, they can survive indefinitely on land.

Intelligence Damage: If the Sirine succeeds on making a melee touch attack, she deals 1D4 intelligence damage and 2D4 on a critical hit. Every 5 HD, the damage dice of the intelligence increases by one step.

With a touch, she can also heal 1D6 intelligence damage caused by a Sirine’s Intelligence Damage ability. The size of the dice increase by one step at 5 HD and another step at ever 5 HD after that.

Fey Singer: At 2nd level a Sirine receives bardic music, spells known, and spells per day as a bard of 2/3 her level, but she has CL equal to her class level and also uses her class levels to determine the strength of her bardic music effects.

If she multiclasses as a bard, the casting and bardic music stack.

Sirine level    Bard casting

1   -
2   1
3   2
4   2
5   3

If a Sirine takes a casting prc, it may choose to advance her casting as that of a bard. So a Sirine 5/loremaster 10 would cast as a 13th level bard.

Change Shape:At 2nd level a Sirine can assume the form of any Small or Medium humanoid 1/day for each HD it has.
(click to show/hide)

Wild empathy: At level 3 a Sirine gains Wild Empathy as druid, with +6 bonus on check. If you have Wild Empathy from some other source your Sirine levels stack with that class for Wild Empathy (you still get +6 bonus).

Initiate Underwater magic: A Sirine learns to cast several spell-like abilities. At level three, the Sirine can cast Invisibility 1/day per HD. (Upgraded to Greater Invisibility at 7 HD, and Superior Invisibility at 15 HD, all forms of invisibility only work on the Sirene herself).

Advanced Underwater magic: At fourth level, a Sirine learns to cast Fog Cloud 1/day per HD as a spell-like ability.

Melodic Magic: A fourth-level Sirine may use her Perform skill instead of her Concentration skill and she can cast spells or activate magic items while singing. She may also maintain a bardic music ability at the same time as her charming song.

Lure At fifth level, the Sirine’s song comes into  its full power. Her voice can be heard within 10 feet per HD instead of 5 ft per HD and she can make those affected by it take risky actions such as leaping overboard. This however allows them to attempt a second save with a +4 bonus.

Comments
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 05:36:11 AM by Raunchel »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Sirine
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 12:24:07 AM »
Always good to see some new blood around here.

Overall you're doing a good job of following the basic formula for monster classes, in particular for your first work, but needs polishing the rough edges.

Charming Song in particular has some key unclear points:
-It's based on Charm Person (1 hour per CL, humanoids only) with half normal duration(1/2 hour per CL?) which affects everyone (non-humanoids too?) but also needs to concentrate like bardic music but doesn't need to actually be heard (so bypasses deafness/silence? Unlimited range after start?)
-At 5 HD starts working as Charm Monster, which has a normal duration of 1 day per CL, so should the duration become 1/2 day per CL?
-But then at 10 HD the duration becomes 1 hour per level, which would be a nerf to the above. :psyduck

Suggestions for Charming Song:
-Clause that targets need to be able to hear the sirene and must remain inside range, also clarify that only affects humanoids at first, maybe animals too at 3 HD, then any creature at 5 HD.
-Also clarify that starting duration is 1/2 hour per CL and then at 10 HD increases to 1 hour per CL.

Intelligence Damage should clarify it's a melee touch attack and should probably come at 1st level otherwise all a starting sirene has is 1/day charming song then she's down to stabbing people with simple weapons and swimming. Also the damage die scaling up every 5 HD is mentioned twice. Split Aquatic Magic in two (initiate and advanced or something) with Invisibility coming online at 3rd level to fill the "hole" left in the progression. Maybe split Melodic Magic in two too, with the "perform instead of Concentration" coming at 3rd level then the rest at 4th.

Speaking of which underwater magic mentions pixie. :p
Also are all the invisibilities supposed to be self-only? If yes, then should make it a bit clearer, otherwise right now can be read as only the superior version being self-only.

Grace of the Waves could probably be removed since the original monster doesn't have it and the Sirene.

I believe it wouldn't be too OP to let Sirine levels stack with Bard for the purpose of unlocking new songs too (or maybe 2/3 sirene level like the spellcasting so a sirene 5/bard 15 could unlock Mass Suggestion). Also giving her good Ref saves.

Melodic Magic is not mentioned in the table.

Offline Raunchel

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 06:22:09 PM »

Overall you're doing a good job of following the basic formula for monster classes, in particular for your first work, but needs polishing the rough edges.

Thank you! I've always really liked these monster classes, and I think that it's about time that I make some contributions as well.

-It's based on Charm Person (1 hour per CL, humanoids only) with half normal duration(1/2 hour per CL?) which affects everyone (non-humanoids too?) but also needs to concentrate like bardic music but doesn't need to actually be heard (so bypasses deafness/silence? Unlimited range after start?)
-At 5 HD starts working as Charm Monster, which has a normal duration of 1 day per CL, so should the duration become 1/2 day per CL?
-But then at 10 HD the duration becomes 1 hour per level, which would be a nerf to the above. :psyduck

-Clause that targets need to be able to hear the sirene and must remain inside range, also clarify that only affects humanoids at first, maybe animals too at 3 HD, then any creature at 5 HD.
-Also clarify that starting duration is 1/2 hour per CL and then at 10 HD increases to 1 hour per CL.

I've made some alterations to the charming song that should hopefully clear up a few things. I've done away with the whole duration in hours, instead, the effect lasts for as long as she keeps singing. But perhaps I should also add a line that says that it affects those underwater as well, but then again, I guess that that should be relatively clear.

Intelligence Damage should clarify it's a melee touch attack and should probably come at 1st level otherwise all a starting sirene has is 1/day charming song then she's down to stabbing people with simple weapons and swimming. Also the damage die scaling up every 5 HD is mentioned twice. Split Aquatic Magic in two (initiate and advanced or something) with Invisibility coming online at 3rd level to fill the "hole" left in the progression. Maybe split Melodic Magic in two too, with the "perform instead of Concentration" coming at 3rd level then the rest at 4th.

Also are all the invisibilities supposed to be self-only? If yes, then should make it a bit clearer, otherwise right now can be read as only the superior version being self-only.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've moved the intelligence damage to level 1, and split the aquatic magic in two. I've decided not to split the melodic magic, but (now that I remembered the update booklet), I've added in wild empathy at level 3. In the Monster Manual, the invisibility can also affect others, but I think that it makes more sense if it only affects herself.

And I guess that you caught me at copy-pasting the phrasing of a few more generic abilities ;)

Grace of the Waves could probably be removed since the original monster doesn't have it and the Sirene.

I believe it wouldn't be too OP to let Sirine levels stack with Bard for the purpose of unlocking new songs too (or maybe 2/3 sirene level like the spellcasting so a sirene 5/bard 15 could unlock Mass Suggestion). Also giving her good Ref saves.

Grace of the Waves has been taken out (and been replaced with Wild Empathy and damage reduction which I just saw in the update booklet). I also added the bardic music.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 09:07:14 PM »

Thank you! I've always really liked these monster classes, and I think that it's about time that I make some contributions as well.
That's the spirit. :)

I've made some alterations to the charming song that should hopefully clear up a few things. I've done away with the whole duration in hours, instead, the effect lasts for as long as she keeps singing. But perhaps I should also add a line that says that it affects those underwater as well, but then again, I guess that that should be relatively clear.
Now that you mention it, probably safer to say it also affects underwater targets yes. Otherwise the new version looking good.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've moved the intelligence damage to level 1, and split the aquatic magic in two. I've decided not to split the melodic magic, but (now that I remembered the update booklet), I've added in wild empathy at level 3. In the Monster Manual, the invisibility can also affect others, but I think that it makes more sense if it only affects herself.
Yeah, at-will SLAs become a lot stronger in a varied party, that's why part of this project is reigning them back in.

Also I noticed now that the Int damage healing starts at 1d6 while the damage starts at 1d4 and then they both scale up every 5 HD, shouldn't they also start at 1d4?

Grace of the Waves has been taken out (and been replaced with Wild Empathy and damage reduction which I just saw in the update booklet). I also added the bardic music.

Ok, looking good overall, besides the minor tidbits already mentioned the only thing I can think of is that the bonus to perform should be made racial to play a bit safer.

Offline Raunchel

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 05:36:05 AM »
Now that you mention it, probably safer to say it also affects underwater targets yes. Otherwise the new version looking good.

That bit has been added in.

Also I noticed now that the Int damage healing starts at 1d6 while the damage starts at 1d4 and then they both scale up every 5 HD, shouldn't they also start at 1d4?[/quote]
That's because the Sirine as a monster heals D6 and deals D4 damage, but perhaps it would be more elegant to make the numbers the same.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 09:27:37 PM »
Ok no further critiques, added to the index!

Offline Raunchel

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 09:11:55 AM »
Thanks! Now I can really say that I contributed!