Author Topic: Email notifications  (Read 12859 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Email notifications
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 06:30:02 PM »
How'd that happen?

It's costing us new members too, since when I was trying to log in I created a new account to try and bypass it, but the activation email never got sent.

This is potentially a bigger issue than I realized.

I looked at the current site activity and it's showing "99 Guests, 8 Users (1 Hidden)"

If those guests wanted to make accounts so that they could post that could really drive up traffic on the boards.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 06:37:01 PM »
Yup. And they haven't been able to since before this thread started - that's 14+ months of no new users allowed. Talk about royally screwing the user base.  :shakefist

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 06:44:15 PM »
Yup. And they haven't been able to since before this thread started - that's 14+ months of no new users allowed. Talk about royally screwing the user base.  :shakefist

14+?

The latest member to join the boards joined in April.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 06:56:57 PM »
Just looking at when this thread started - it's certainly that long since I've got email notifications for anything. So maybe a few are getting through?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »
Just looking at when this thread started - it's certainly that long since I've got email notifications for anything. So maybe a few are getting through?

They've been broken and fixed and broken again, it wouldn't surprise me if that cycle happened more than once....

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 07:37:36 PM »
Fixed? Never had a notification since before the thread started. And I've got more than a few threads tagged.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2016, 07:44:22 PM »
Fixed? Never had a notification since before the thread started. And I've got more than a few threads tagged.

Yeah, it was fixed in the first handful of posts in the thread.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2016, 08:38:34 AM »
For me, it's been broken for about 8 months and counting.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 09:17:09 PM »
Still none :-(
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 11:09:01 PM »
I'm wondering if there's a way we could contact Simple Machines directly about this?
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2016, 11:14:50 PM »
First check your error logs for any indication of what the problem may be. Before you begin to troubleshoot the reasons for your forum not sending out emails, contact your hosting provider to see if they can help or confirm the information you are entering is correct. In many cases contacting your hosting provider will speed up the process of solving your issues.
Check for errors within your forum error log
Common errors you will see within your error log are:
Could not connect to SMTP host
2: fsockopen() has been disabled for security reasons
This error is pretty self explanatory in that your error log is telling you that the SMTP information you have provided is not correct, i.e. cannot connect to send your mail. Check the information again and contact your host to make sure the information you are entering is correct.
The second error message listed above indicates your webhost has disabled the PHP default setting for sending mail from your SMF installation. You will need to contact your host and ask them to enable this for you.
Is my server blacklisted?
Because of the growth of spam these days it is quite possible that your emails are being detected as spam.
The following link will help you find information regarding any potential blacklist your server may be listed on:
http://www.us.sorbs.net/
Using GMAIL SMTP?
If you use Gmail for SMF's SMTP - meaning to send emails from SMF, Gmail will not work in most cases. Gmail will only accept SSL encrypted emails, which most servers do not support.
Server configured correctly for sending mail?
To check if your server is configured correctly for sending mail use the test script below. In the script below be sure to change the $from_email and $to to be valid email addresses to correctly test the sendmail function of your server. If it fails, try using SMTP. IMPORTANT: Remember to remove this test script immediately.
Save as testmail.php and upload it to the root folder of your SMF install where Settings.php and SSI.php can be found, then call it in your browser i.e. yoururl/testmail.php.
If you do not receive an email from your server then contact your host and explain you currently cannot send mail from your forum. During this time you will have to use the SMTP settings for sending mail rather than the (php) default value.

Code: [Select]
<?php
// Add your name between quotes
$from_name "YourName";
// Add the origin email address between quotes (the same email you set in SMF's Webmaster email address)
$from_email "from_email@domain.com";
$headers "From: $from_name <$from_email>";
// You are free to change the body and subject of the test email in the next lines, but the default should work fine
$body "Hi, \nThis is a test mail from $from_name <$from_email>.";
$subject "Test mail from localhost";
// Add the destination email address between quotes (the recipient of the test email)
$to "to_email@domain2.com";
// When running the script, you will see in your browser "Success!" or "Fail...", depending on whether the test was successful or not. DON'T CHANGE THIS
if (mail($to$subject$body$headers)) {
   echo 
"Success!";
} else {
   echo 
"Fail…";
}
?>

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »
 :blink :blink :blink :facepalm :hide

ummm.... i have NO idea what that means
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2016, 01:45:28 AM »
:blink :blink :blink :facepalm :hide

ummm.... i have NO idea what that means

I was hoping Prime would, as my coding days are long behind me.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2016, 10:25:31 AM »
I can parse it if that helps any.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »
I was hoping Prime would, as my coding days are long behind me.
Then you'll probably find it pretty simple once you get a few reminders.

* <?php & ?> are basically script tags telling the machine to start, and stop, reading the information as php programming. Also like pretty much always // notes a comment for the machine to ignore.

* $ must be used to denote a variable in php (and SQL).
To try and cross index here for you
C#: string from_name = "Sin"; from_name += "fire"; would produce a string that equals Sinfire.
Javascript: var from_name = "Sin"; from_name += "fire"; Same deal.
PHP: $from_name = "Sin"; $from_Name += "fire"; only thing that has really changed is the $ marker.
It's intended for the writer to clearly know what is a variable because professional programming is all about making the most obscure code possible so they don't fire you and the guy that made PHP was sick of not knowing if IilIlliLI was the class and IilIliLI was a variable in one of his projects he was hired to fix (probably).

* String manipulation, pretty much every single language tries some stupid gimmick with strings.
In a more basic form, $headers = $from_name + " <" + $from_email + ">"; produces Sinfire <from_email@domain.com>
PHP simply has the ability, thanks to that $ marker, to easily add the variables to a string so instead of building the string by adding things together you can simply use "From: $from_name <$from_email>". When the string is read it simply gets the variable's values and compiles it all together.

And that's pretty much it. That If-Than-Else that calls the Mail method and kicks back an error message conveniently has a comment above it that says DON'T CHANGE THIS.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:32:56 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2016, 02:05:27 PM »
Unfortunately I'm a mere moderator, so I can't tinker with any of the code to begin with.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2016, 11:35:52 PM »
Unfortunately I'm a mere moderator, so I can't tinker with any of the code to begin with.
Eh, this may very well be an opportunity to change that.

You could ask Meg to play it safe and back things up then give you temp access to fix some php code. Your mod status already lets you tinker with the database in the background and a backup would prevent you from wiping it. So it'd be a good test run to see if you can make little bb changes here and there if something pops up.

If left unfixed, we're never going to get new people.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2016, 12:49:26 AM »
Eh, this may very well be an opportunity to change that.

You could ask Meg to play it safe and back things up then give you temp access to fix some php code. Your mod status already lets you tinker with the database in the background and a backup would prevent you from wiping it. So it'd be a good test run to see if you can make little bb changes here and there if something pops up.

If left unfixed, we're never going to get new people.

That would require us to be able to contact her. Neither her or Josh are answering.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2016, 01:56:03 AM »
Have u tried facebook?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile