Author Topic: Let's Plays, Do you watch them?  (Read 6252 times)

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
Let's Plays, Do you watch them?
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:30:01 PM »
Okay I enjoy a bit of watching Let's plays, do you? Are there any people you prefer watching?

Some of my favorites: Chuggaaconroy, part of the Runaway Guys(along with NintendoCapriSun, and ProtonJonSA) He typcially does Nintendo games, like the Zelda series, Mario series, Okami, along with Earth Bound and Pikmin. JoshJepson was a guest during the New Super Mario Bros. Wii player.

Northernlion, he has done traditionally done indie games, and has a series called Poison Mushroom on machinima.

TotalHalibut, not a traditional Let's player but has a series of doing first impression videos of traditionally indie games, and has done collabs. with Bluexephos(Simon and Lewis) and OMFGCata(Jesse)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
Re: Let's Plays, Do you watch them?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:57:13 PM »
http://lparchive.org

This site has a lot of good LPs.

It's not a video, but I liked the Persona 3 run by schildkrote.

Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus do some good videos, like the Metal Gear Solid series.  They have their own site:

http://chipandironicus.com/

Offline Cubey

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:59:32 PM »
I watch Deceased Crab, Kikoskia and raocow. LP Archive has some excellent LPs... and quite a lot mediocre ones.

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:11:15 PM »
I watch Raocow also, but I didn't put him since his humor is a little on the non-sequitur and the rest of the ones I posted have more of the standard humor.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:20:56 AM »
Well, I'm an SA member, so I get my LP fix straight from the motherlode...
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline RelentlessImp

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • A pocket full of murder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 02:57:55 AM »
^ What veekie said. I enjoy SS LPs more than video LPs because with video LPs you wind up having people whose voices you can't stand (the currently on-going Thousand Year Door LP springs to mind, though they get bearable after a few videos). It's kind of hard to fuck up a screenshot LP unless all you're doing is taking the piss out of the game, but it's so easy to screw up a video LP just by talking at the wrong moments or having a horrible voice.

That said, I also enjoy TotalBiscuit and Jesse Cox Play Terraria, which is pretty much an LP despite the game being pretty unLPable.

Offline Slaughterhouserock

• Hail to the king, baby.
    • View Profile
    • Horror Movie Fans
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 04:59:18 AM »
I watch DeceasedCrab(and his co-LP's with MadamLuna), HCBailly, and SakimotoFanboy regularly.  Others I only watch if I happen to like the game they're LPing.
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

Offline Basket Burner

• Legendary Member
  • I break Basket Weavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 07:37:40 AM »
And over here we have a SEKRIT PASSAGE!

Offline weenog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 05:35:34 PM »
There have been some I read and liked, mainly ones that wind up being apocalypse logs (Boatmurdered, The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing, that kind of thing).  I typically get my fill of video games as performance art in a different way.  One of my roommates and I have fairly overlapping taste in video games, and senses of humor that match well enough, so when one's playing a single-player game the other's often observing (sometimes taking turns on a shared file) and we do whatever odd stuff seems appropriate at the time, supply better dialog than the game provided, it gets entertaining enough that some lines become household phrases for us.

"It's a piƱata full of PAIN!" -- First uttered after an unfortunate Day 1 Fallout 3 incident involving an eyebot and a baseball bat.
"Whoops, forgot to roll my fire and holy damage."
"I doubt she's going to make a DC 111 Fort save, anyway."

Offline miz redavni

• Lurker
  • insomniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 11:41:38 AM »
Okay I enjoy a bit of watching Let's plays, do you? Are there any people you prefer watching?

Some of my favorites: Chuggaaconroy, part of the Runaway Guys(along with NintendoCapriSun, and ProtonJonSA) He typcially does Nintendo games, like the Zelda series, Mario series, Okami, along with Earth Bound and Pikmin. JoshJepson was a guest during the New Super Mario Bros. Wii player.

Northernlion, he has done traditionally done indie games, and has a series called Poison Mushroom on machinima.

TotalHalibut, not a traditional Let's player but has a series of doing first impression videos of traditionally indie games, and has done collabs. with Bluexephos(Simon and Lewis) and OMFGCata(Jesse)

i like them alot too, i HIGHLY suggest you try twitch.tv

imagine, lets plays being broadcasted LIVE, its amazing. i spend what hours i can watching.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 04:43:44 PM »
Kaizo Mario World.

Watch it. Love it. Live it.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 07:59:35 PM »
Kaizo Mario World.

Watch it. Love it. Live it.

My favorite guy is Psychadelic Eyeball.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 12:03:03 AM »
I'm currently watching T4S's Serious Sam LP and Rooster Teeth's Saint's Row the Third LP.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 03:24:16 AM »
Currently going through Ar Tonelico II
Again.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 02:42:58 PM »
^ What veekie said. I enjoy SS LPs more than video LPs because with video LPs you wind up having people whose voices you can't stand (the currently on-going Thousand Year Door LP springs to mind, though they get bearable after a few videos). It's kind of hard to fuck up a screenshot LP unless all you're doing is taking the piss out of the game, but it's so easy to screw up a video LP just by talking at the wrong moments or having a horrible voice.

That said, I also enjoy TotalBiscuit and Jesse Cox Play Terraria, which is pretty much an LP despite the game being pretty unLPable.

I disagree; no game is unLPable if you have the commentary. My personal commentary's pretty 'meh' though I do it just for fun. Its a lot of fun to record a video and I can't imagine it being the same taking screenshots. As for which is more enjoyable (screenshot or video), it's the difference between anime and manga really. It makes sense that most of the folks around here prefer screenshot LPs though, since if your preferred data intake is words on a message board, throwing in some pictures would pretty much seal the deal.
Hmm.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »
My favorite LP isn't a "watch" so much as a "read." The LP of KOTOR 2 was awesome because the guy doing it didn't just show off the game, but also analyze it and explain why things worked, what all the hidden nuances were, etc. Showing off all that wonderful cut content was just icing on top.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 11:36:24 PM »
My favorite LP isn't a "watch" so much as a "read." The LP of KOTOR 2 was awesome because the guy doing it didn't just show off the game, but also analyze it and explain why things worked, what all the hidden nuances were, etc. Showing off all that wonderful cut content was just icing on top.

That was an amazing LP.  Even though Obsidian got some flak for their interpretation of Revan, I really liked all the thought they put into the game's plot.  Such a shame it was released prematurely.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 04:10:59 PM »
The LP of NWN2:MotB was also very good for similar reasons. And the game was also by Obisidian. Coincidence?