Author Topic: Volume One: Number Theory  (Read 49347 times)

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Re: Volume One: Number Theory
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 01:40:09 AM »
"Well that was weird." He looks around, "I probably should get my deliveries done befor something actually starts exploding."
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 09:00:45 AM »
"And I should really get back to the Funeral. It's probably a zoo by now, but I can't just leave Ziggy there in the middle of it. Ziggy, by the way, is supposed to be mentoring me. The priest sort of collapsed earlier, before I came here to find out what was going on with the weather. Anyway, to make a long story short, I need to get back there and figure out what's going on. Ziggy might also have some idea what to do about that cult." Leo takes a deep breath after rambling so long. He's never been terribly good at organizing his thoughts on the fly, especially with so much going on. He much preferred to prepare such things slowly in advance.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 11:03:21 AM »
"Sounds good!" Kitty grins. "Let's go talk to that Ziggy of yours. Then the fairy footboy can make his deliveries, and then we get lunch!"
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 02:37:34 AM »
(click to show/hide)

The half-demon fox, the earth wizard, and the fairy prince all walked into a bar.

Well, not a bar so much as a small cluster of paramedics surrounded by curious lingering mourners. Most of the crowd had dispersed, and in fact Otto's casket was still sitting uncovered at the bottom of the grave. Police nearby were shooing off what was left of the crowd--at least, those not otherwise engaged in rounding up stray dogs.

As the three approached the unfortunate priest who had been eulogizing, one of the paramedics began waving them away irritably. His arm flapped once before coming to a halt in the vice-like grip of Ziggy, who smiled calmly up at the man."It's quite alright, the boy and his friends are with me."

The paramedic hesitated, then nodded in agreement, turning back to his work. The elder wizard's smile faded as he bustled over to the trio. "Well, did you have any luck? And who are your friends?"
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
"This is Lilly, and that's, um... Philion? He's the one who caused the downpour at the park, apparently. It's... a bit of a long story. We might not want to discuss it here." Leo looked around, paramedics and police alike trying desperately to control the situation.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2012, 02:37:37 PM »
Lilly gives Leo's mentor a broad smile, offering her hand to him. "You must be Mr. Ziggy, then! Lilly Dachner, nice to meet you. Friends are allowed to call me Kitty." She doesn't make the least effort to hide her mother's mark upon her.

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2012, 12:27:46 AM »
Ziggy took Lilly's hand in a surprisingly gentle grip, his eyebrows threatening to fly up enough to meet his receding hairline. "Oh ho, so that explains it! Pleasure to meet you, young lady." He turns to Phil.  "Philion Quilos, perhaps? I believe I may know an aunt or three of yours, though not particularly well.

But yes, fine point, this isn't the best place to talk. Come with me back to my shop, and we can have a bit of a meal. You three look famished."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:31:00 AM by Bozwevial »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2012, 08:41:30 PM »
"Very well, lead on." Leo simply shakes his head, trying to clear up what's going on.

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2012, 12:14:13 AM »
Around an hour later, the three found themselves in the stifling embrace of Ziggy's hospitality. The shop had been closed for the funeral, and Ziggy had instantly lit a roaring fire as though in defiance of the fact that it was July. Coffee, tea, cake, and various other foods were threatening to snap a creaky little table in half, and more would appear seemingly from nowhere if it looked like there was a slight chance that they'd run out.

"And then, and then...he goes and buys it a pizza!" Ziggy chortled, wiping a tear from the corner of his eye. "Can you believe that? The things Americans think of sometimes!"

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2012, 12:55:19 AM »
Leo sits back with his arms crossed, unsure whether to feel proud or insulted at the way this story is being told. All in all it didn't matter. The subject of the story is well known to be reckless and after everything going on recently, also his fault, it's not surprising to hear other wizards telling stories about him. Leo didn't want to think about it, any of it, especially the possibility of running into any vampires out looking for revenge against Wizards. Let alone a lone American one out of his element. And don't get him started on Faeries.

A shiver runs up and down Leo's spine.

"So... there's this little matter of the local cult infestation..." Leo rubs his temples as though it might help him focus.

It doesn't.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2012, 09:50:24 AM »
Lilly, for her part, gladly indulged their host, laughing along to his stories and sampling just enough of his pastries to provide an excuse for him to keep replacing food. One had to wonder where all that sugar and fat went, considering her slight stature. Upon Leo's change of topic, she clapped her hands. "Ah, yes, yes, right! So, this guy tried to set himself and a tree on fire after checking the time. That'd have been... a bit after eleven. He talked about three people, counting himself; crackling flame, hungry earth, creeping air. He said, um... 'They transform life to death, and death brings forth life, but only at the appointed hour'. So the date and time is important. It's 16.7.11, and it was around 11 o'clock... Any of you know some numerology?"

(click to show/hide)

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 02:49:40 PM »
Phil having delivered the package along the way, helps himself to the food, but stops short of Lilly's volume. You never know when you have to make a run for it, and its easier to run on empty than on full.

"Well, everything has a number, but the question is when are they counting from? Its not like the Sidhe pay that much attention to what mortal authorities declare to be the day and hour, against the turning of the seasons and the moon." He pauses, seeming to consider applicable cycles. "Nothing like the death and rebirth of seasons to count by."

OOC: Lore (4d3-8+4=4)
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2012, 11:01:21 PM »
Ziggy mulled the news over, blowing on his third cup of coffee. "Some sort of elemental ritual? It's peculiar that there's at least one element missing. Two, perhaps. Certainly the ones your cultist mentioned are more closely associated with death than with life or spirit." He took a long drink, then continued, wiping his mouth on a napkin. "I can tell you this, that fellow who was giving the eulogy at the funeral may have been in on it. He died because he took cyanide tablets."

Agita:
(click to show/hide)

veekie:
(click to show/hide)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Leo furrowed his brow a bit, trying to recall the chain of events. "Wait.. don't those things work pretty quickly? He'd have to have slipped one into his mouth without anyone seeing him... unless he had a capsule in his mouth already, like in the movies. Do people really do that?"

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2012, 01:37:59 AM »
Venn:
(click to show/hide)

Ziggy scowled faintly. "Dashed stupid way to go, really, but there you have it. What with the dogs running past I'm not sure if he took it on the spot or had it in his mouth already."

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2012, 03:36:49 AM »
Kitty coughs discreetly at the mention of the dogs. "Well... he can't have planned for the dogs, so if he was planning to commit suicide from the start, he'd have had to have them in his mouth." Taking a slice of Sacher cake, she looks at her coffee pensively. "Hmm... the 'crackling flame' tried to set himself and a tree on fire... if it hadn't been raining, he might've set the whole park off with that. What could 'hungry earth' be? Some kind of sinkhole? 'Creeping air' sounds really worrying, sounds like poison gas or something."

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 11:07:47 PM »
"I've been around long enough to know that this isn't a coincidence. Not with something like this. Maybe the funeral was part of this cultist's plan? Sounds close enough to the 'hungry earth' you mentioned, at any rate."

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »
"The old Habsburg playing the part of Earth? Hmm... then the Creeping Air would've happened at the same time too." Staring pensively at her coffee, Lilly suddenly looks up. "Do you have a TV or a radio here? There should be news about the funeral, maybe they'll say something about the 'Air' too."

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2012, 11:18:23 PM »
"Oh, goodness me, no. In here? I'd have to replace it every day."

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2012, 12:00:06 AM »
"Really, I miss being able to play video games without them fizzling out. I've never really had much problem with radios, though. Anyway, we might be better off heading back downtown, given the proximity of the events to each other. There's definitely something big going on. I mean, the numerology angle can't be missed, here." Leo goes on to explain what he's been able to piece together about the numerology and resurrection ritual components.

(click to show/hide)