Author Topic: Tome of Battle: Maneuver Substitution Variant  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Argent Fatalis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Nature, red in tooth and claw.
    • View Profile
Tome of Battle: Maneuver Substitution Variant
« on: March 29, 2020, 12:55:03 PM »
As the title, this exists somewhere, right? I didn't imagine the whole thing?

For those not sure what I mean, I want to say at some point, somewhere, in something related to Tome of Battle there was an optional rule that let martial initiators swap out disciplines. So you could have something like a Warblade who loses access to Iron Heart maneuvers but gains Shadow Hand ones instead or a Crusader who drops their Devoted Spirit access to gain Desert Wind instead. The problem is, I cannot seem to find it in the book. Was this a web supplement from the now archived section or is this just buried carefully in the book?

I would appreciate someone pointing me to where this was if it existed at all.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Tome of Battle: Maneuver Substitution Variant
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 03:41:11 PM »
I'm not aware of any such official rule.

What might think of are homebrew disciplines, which usually get inserted by swapping them into place of another discipline.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 06:19:12 PM »
Not in core Tome of Battle.

Homebrew Schools often have wording that allows martial adepts to trade Disciplines (though often enough disciplines are just given to X class)

If you have looked at the Pathfinder Path of War from Dreamscarred Press (which has a lot of disciplines that started out as Homebrew for ToB), they introduced Martial Traditions which are flavored as guild/organizations associated with a particular Discipline that a Martial Adept can join and get the discipline in place of one they already know (amongst some other benefits that vary in power). Other PoW supplements have some one-off disciplines that can be traded in as well (Such as Radiant Dawn and Unquiet Grave).
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 03:24:33 PM »
Each class has a mechanic that allows you to swap out maneuvers as your progress in the class. You still have to "meet the prereqs" of course, however, there doesn't seem to be any requirement that you meet said prereqs with the class itself (ie: could use feats or items possibly, and thus gain access to otherwise un-selectable options...)

Offline Argent Fatalis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Nature, red in tooth and claw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 08:40:20 AM »
Thanks to all for the replies, sad that this doesn't seem to have existed and I somehow imagined it all. I have no idea where this idea would have come from, certainly not from Pathfinder or anything similar, so that makes it more interesting in a way. It also wasn't a way to swap out prerequisites. I can still almost see it in my mind, it was just a plain discipline substitution.