Author Topic: RPG Maker is on sale!  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
RPG Maker is on sale!
« on: May 29, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »
RPG Maker is a series of popular software tools which allow you to craft your very own video game RPGs!

Normally it would be around $69.99, but until June 2nd it's on sale for $17.50!  And a lot of the additional resource packs are on sale, too!

I bought the main game for myself, as I had an interest in it.  I did not pick up the resource packs because I don't know if I'll need them yet.  Don't want to get in the habit of spending sprees just because things are on sale, now.

You can also get it on Humble Bundle as well for $12 plus a bunch of DLC, if you so desire.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Maker is on sale!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »
What's the difference between VX Ace and XP? 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:33:59 PM »
I don't own XP, but from what this thread tells me VX Ace is an overall improvement.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 12:41:38 PM »
Ok, as a complete and total noob to purchasing computer games from websites, I would appreciate answers to these questions before this offer ends (the humble bundle looks like it's good for another 5 days, the steam one until June 2, yes?).

- Do either of these websites' game downloads include DRM of any sort?
- Do either have specific restrictions, like needing to be online, or continuously re-verify your copy each time you open the program, etc...?
- What limits are there to the number of times it can be re-downloaded, and is it only downloadable for a certain time period? (If I get it and need to get a new computer in a year or two, will I not be able to download it again?  Can it be one more than one comp. simultaneously if my wife and I both wanted it w/o having to buy it twice?)
- Am I seriously reading it right that you get the entire VXAce program from Humble Bundle for $1 (pay what you want)?  Do the $6 and $12 tiers include the lower tier stuff, too?  Or do you have to buy each seperately to get all 3?
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of each (using humble bundle vs. steam) not already covered in answers to the above questions?  It sounds like humble bundle is stupidly cheaper and gives more...

Thank you for your answers.  My wife's birthday is this weekend, this seems like a great additional gift for her.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 01:35:50 PM »
Ok, as a complete and total noob to purchasing computer games from websites, I would appreciate answers to these questions before this offer ends (the humble bundle looks like it's good for another 5 days, the steam one until June 2, yes?).

- Do either have specific restrictions, like needing to be online, or continuously re-verify your copy each time you open the program, etc...?
- What limits are there to the number of times it can be re-downloaded, and is it only downloadable for a certain time period? (If I get it and need to get a new computer in a year or two, will I not be able to download it again?  Can it be one more than one comp. simultaneously if my wife and I both wanted it w/o having to buy it twice?)
- Am I seriously reading it right that you get the entire VXAce program from Humble Bundle for $1 (pay what you want)?  Do the $6 and $12 tiers include the lower tier stuff, too?  Or do you have to buy each seperately to get all 3?
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of each (using humble bundle vs. steam) not already covered in answers to the above questions?  It sounds like humble bundle is stupidly cheaper and gives more...

Thank you for your answers.  My wife's birthday is this weekend, this seems like a great additional gift for her.
I can only offer humble-advice:

Yes. 1$ will get you it on Steam, with all the advantages - sharing progress if it's on the steam-cloud, being able to download it wherever/ whenever you have steam, etc etc.

Humble Bundle is essentially the Steam Sale on steroids. It's wonderful. Sure, it's only 7 games a week, but... 1$ for the steam keys to four games? Hell yeah. 5$ for a different selection? Sure. I don't know why you would buy something on Steam if it's available on Humble.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 02:30:57 PM »

Steam requires you to have an active internet connection (and a Steam account).  Some Steam games allow you to download for offline but you have to set it up that way after the first install (I've never set this up myself but I know the option exists).  I've never downloaded directly from Humble Bundle so I don't know what they might require.

Aside from what I mentioned, no.

Steam has no restrictions, up to and including if Steam stops offering RPG Maker it will not be removed from your account and you'll still be able to download it.  I have a couple of games on my account that they no longer sell.

Yes, you are reading that right.  Higher tiers including lower ones, and as they include a Steam key the humble bundle is a better buy.

Steam requires an account (that you can share with your wife) and requires an active internet connection aside from the download to use offline as mentioned before.  After looking at the account what you are buying from Humble Bundle are the Steam keys, they are not offering RPG Maker downloads.  This means that no matter where you buy it from, Steam is where you will download it. Steam is available on Mac and Linux as well as Windows but RPG Maker itself looks like it is Windows only if that makes a difference.

I've been doing humble bundle and steam for awhile, feel free to let me know if you have any more questions.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 05:50:42 PM »
Thanks.  From what you guys have said and some friends I asked, it sounds like I should get steam accounts (plural, see below) and then the humble bundle.

While I don't think taking turns using RPGMaker is a problem, and it seems the DLC and music and other stuff can just be transferred to both our computers and used simultaneously even if one is using a "tier 1" purchased account... for just $1 extra on top of the $12 for tier 3, I could make 2 steam accounts, one buying the full tier 3 and the other tier 1 only for a dollar, to allow simultaneous playing and hedge against the future possibility of buying and playing other games on steam (you can only be logged into one account on one computer at a time, no matter how many games it has purchased, I've been told).  If I have that correct, paying an extra dollar just in case seems smart.

EDIT: Specifically, my friend said (A1 & A2 = account 1 & 2):
"A1 can run VXA, XP, and Character Hub with all DLC
 A2 can run VXA with all DLC"

So I'd take all the stuff from A1 and primarily log into A2 while my wife uses A1.  That would be the plan.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:52:35 PM by StreamOfTheSky »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »
Yes, if there is the chance of both of you using the program (or any other steam game) at the same time two accounts is the way to go.

With these prices why not?