Author Topic: Fun Finds: 5e Edition  (Read 144167 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds: 5e Edition
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 02:31:28 PM »
Cantrips-wise, Shillelagh is actually pretty nice if you are playing a Wisdom*-focused class, thanks to how it lets you make attacks with Clubs/Staves using your spellcasting modifier. Oh, and it turns them into 1d8 weapons, so there's that. It's actually pretty decent for Human monks at earlier levels.

* Yeah, it says spellcasting modifier, but the only ways you can currently get it (Druid, Cleric w/ Nature Domain, and Magical Affinity) leave you using your Wisdom modifier.

I can't find the actual stats for Monk Weapons anywhere in my book. Printing error?

Blade Ward is both awesome and terrible simultaneously. It gives you Resistance to Bludgeoning, Slashing, and Piercing damage for a turn, but takes your action. It's just plain awesome for Sorcerers who have the Sorcery Points to burn, though.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 03:14:25 PM »
Actually, you can also get Shillelagh as a bard. Either a Lore Bard at 6th or any Bard at 10th. Charisma based attack/damage isn't a horrible thing to have. I wonder if a lute or a big drumstick could fill in for a club at a pinch?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 04:23:24 PM »
I can't find the actual stats for Monk Weapons anywhere in my book. Printing error?

Quote from: PHB78
At 1st level, your practice o f martial arts gives you mastery o f combat styles that use unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two-handed or heavy property.

Basically you can choose Shortwords (1d6/finesse) for a Dex-based build or Quarterstaff (1d8/versatile) for Str-based until your Unarmed is higher.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 04:27:16 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 04:57:02 PM »
I am blind.

So Shillelagh just went into "YES" mode for either Human Monks or Monks with a dip in Druid (or Cleric with Nature Domain; CHOICES!); it lets you skip 10 levels of Martial Arts damage bonuses and use Wisdom for attack, damage, and (thanks to Unarmored Defense) AC.

For a simple build, a Human Monk could grab Magical Affinity (Druid), pick up Guidance, Shillelagh, and Jump/Longstrider, dump Strength and Dexterity, and could get by with just a high Wisdom. I think it could work out reasonably well.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 05:07:56 PM »
Polearm Master feat works with Shillelagh = d8 on the other end too (wotc thinks so anyways).
Also Book'Lock 3 can put Shillelagh on Cha.
edits

...  Reddit's WBL page ... 

Awesome post SorO, and thanks for that link.
Contagion is well rated back at wotc too.

WBL does have some more stuff to work out, but that guy is a good start.
a) ... average distribution of monsters from 1-20 levels
b) ... the ~walking around money per monster is easy , but then a*b
c) ... guesstimate distribution about how many how much magic items
d) ... the selling magic items table is an easy enough calculation, I'll do it soon, maybe tonight
e) ... some rough in guideline for crafting
f) ... some pre-rough in guideline for what items you'd really or mandatorily (!) want , 'course this is standard wotc C.O. work

a , c , and  e , are A LOT of work
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 05:11:13 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »
Contagion is nasty.

Though I'm also a fan of Compelled Duel; give someone Disadvantage on all attacks made against anyone but you, and prevent them from moving more than 30' from you!

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 07:51:35 PM »
The paladin has some good Spells this time around, very defensive and party friendly.

Probably deals more than the Barbarian too in the higher levels. It appears to be a very solid higher ranked class.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 08:57:22 PM »
The Paladin has some incredibly solid spell choices. Most (if not all) of their "Smite" spells are pretty damn good (and are bonus actions to cast), Circle of Power gives advantage on a ton of saves, Compelled Duel keeps monsters off your allies' backs, and Aura of Vitality is pretty beautiful; sure it only heals 2d6 damage... but it does so as a bonus action, and it lasts up to a minute.

Dip Life-Domain Cleric, and the spell heals 2d6 + 5 HP.

EDIT: Yeah, Paladins at 11+ can drop a 1st level slot to add 2d8 damage to their attack's damage. They get a base +1d8 thanks to Improved Divine Smite. They can drop 2d6 + 3d8 + Str onto attacks pretty consistently - that's an average of 20.5 + Str. If they really want to pull out the big guns, they can drop 2d6 + 5d8 + Str for attacks, before factoring in bonuses from the Smite spells.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:03:48 PM by Amechra »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 04:46:36 PM »
Today's fun find, Durable.
When you roll a Hit Die to regain hit points, the minimum number of hit points you regain from the roll equals twice your Constitution modifier (minimum of 2).
5th, like 3rd, uses Specific beats General so if your minimal recovery value exceeds your hit point maximum then Durable's forced minimum holds a level of priority over any other general rule. Wait, found it yes they are lost. Damn.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 04:56:45 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 12:07:08 AM »
The potion of Animal Friendship (DMG pg 187) is kind of oddly worded.

"When you drink this potion, you can cast the animal friendship spell (save DC 13) for 1 hour at will."

I know what they mean, you can cast the spell for the next hour at will. But it could almost be read as you now permanently have the ability to cast the spell at will, and the spell lasts for an hour when you do.

Also, the Ring of Air Elemental Command (DMG pg 190) is a wonderful all rounder for an item. Free unlimited feather fall, unlimited flight, and a few spells to cast per day. Just help beat up a summoned air elemental once you have it and all these powers and more are yours.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:04:20 AM by sambojin »

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 02:12:49 AM »
Unseen Servant is a very versatile Ievel 1 spell, if only for its' breakage of action economy and it being a non-concentration spell. It's pretty much up to you on how to break it, but torches and flaming oil (or holy water) are kind of gimmes. Trap disposal is nice too.

It stacks with a level 14 conjuration wizard's bonus, so it can have 31 HP. It also lasts an hour, so you can have plenty of them doing stuff at once. And it's a ritual, so it doesn't necessarily blow a spell slot that you want for "actual" magic.

It's not super good killy, but it's versatile. The RP options between unseen servant, minor illusion and prestidigitation are almost unlimited in annoyance, novelty, or dumb-stuff potential. You will never again need to scratch an itch. Any of them. No matter where they are....
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:16:39 AM by sambojin »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 11:23:52 PM »
Illusory Reality
By 14th level, you have learned the secret of weaving shadow magic into your illusions to give them a semireality. When you cast an illusion spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose one inanimate, nonmagical object that is part of the illusion and make that object real. You can do this on your turn as a bonus action while the spell is ongoing. The object remains real for 1 minute. For example, you can create an illusion of a bridge over a chasm and then make it real long enough for your allies to cross.
The object can’t deal damage or otherwise directly harm anyone.
Also it appears to have no size limitation so combine it with Mirage Arcana to make your chosen terrain real. Like suffocating doesn't deal damage and being trapped in superglue doesn't directly harm you.

Dream is a 5th level Illusion that alters someone's dreams so technically you can also make dreams come true.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 11:43:16 PM »
DMG's Evil Paladin addition is a new Oath choice. It includes this;
Quote from: DMG97
Control Undead.
As an action, the paladin targets one undead creature he or she can see within 30 feet of him or her. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the target must obey the paladin's commands for the next 24 hours, or until the paladin uses this Channel Divinity option again. An undead whose challenge rating is equal to or greater than the paladin's level is immune to this effect.
Aura of Hate also gives everyone nearby your Charisma Modifier to damage and adds both Animate Dead and Contagion to your Spell List.

Team Evil is back.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 12:42:34 AM »
Illusory Reality
By 14th level, you have learned the secret of weaving shadow magic into your illusions to give them a semireality. When you cast an illusion spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose one inanimate, nonmagical object that is part of the illusion and make that object real. You can do this on your turn as a bonus action while the spell is ongoing. The object remains real for 1 minute. For example, you can create an illusion of a bridge over a chasm and then make it real long enough for your allies to cross.
Also it appears to have no size limitation so combine it with Mirage Arcana to make your chosen terrain real. Like suffocating doesn't deal damage and being trapped in superglue doesn't directly harm you.

Dream is a 5th level Illusion that alters someone's dreams so technically you can also make dreams come true.

Isn't Mirage Arcana pretty real anyway? Even if they see through the illusion, they're still effected by it in the sense of the "terrain" and difficult terrain being real to them regardless of belief?

Is this a "Rock falls from the ceiling" thing? Because you know the DM can do that sort of stuff back to a PC......... Lol

But yes, a 1x1 mile illusion makes this an amazing ability. Especially with an "I don't care, my illusion is stronger than your disbelief" spell. Then add real stuff. Or shadowy real stuff. Or stuff stuff. It's pretty vague on just how close this is to a Wish spell, but your DM probably has well-founded "views" on things. Argue away.

Rocks and ceilings.......

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 12:49:57 AM »
You are forgetting the best use - Minor Illusion means infinite booze. And infinite booze means you never have to say you're sorry.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 02:00:52 AM »
It has to be a lvl 1+ illusion, so that won't work. So you have to say sorry WoTC, you knew it would happen.

"I can't Mend your broken McGuffin with my cantrips bro! I was too busy making real bar wenches with my mind with lvl1+ illusions. And then putting them on slow-mo replay later to show my friends with Minor Illusion. I even made a weavepage for this junk! You understand don't you dog? It's like they're real, man. Real-real. Yeah!?! There ain't no Unseen Servants in my house. We got bitches you can see!!! Bitches you can touch!!!!! But I'll get you one of dem "unseen" ones for the kinky stuff....."

And so on and so forth.....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:05:56 AM by sambojin »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »
I'm looking at Rogue Thief 13 UMD, and thinking:  "Hand me a Ritual Book and some Scrolls, and heck even a (knocked out) Tome'Lock's  book."  Might need some fine tuning.

Illusory Reality

** Dream is a 5th level Illusion that alters someone's dreams so technically you can also make dreams come true.

Oh that's just ridiculously good PC Fiat !!
Take that mister Rule Zero.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 06:01:13 PM »
Selling Magic Items ... there's 6 paragraphs for it.

Gateway 1) ... have to find a City or dmfiat
1a ... ho hum lets go to the "market" today, again

Gateway 2) ... Investigation DC 20 check for each magic item ; dm ought to keep this secret
2a ... Rogue 11 with Cha 14, Prof, Expertise = dc 20

Gateway 3) ... bonus to d100 roll with Persuasion DC X for each magic item ; dm ought to keep this secret , alters the numbers below
3a ... Rogue 11 / X 5 with Cha 20, Prof, Expertise = dc 27 before extra dice roll buffs get added

Gateway 4) ... average amount below cost for sale
4a Common ................. 66%
4b Uncommon ............. 52%
4c Rare ......................... 38%
4d Very Rare ................ 29%
4e Legendary + Artifact sales require adventure or quest, with no guidelines (dmfiat)

Gateway 5) ... flat chance that a +25% cost "Shady" is available

Gateway 6) ... Shady results may (dmfiat) cause Legal Problems

So it's a minigame with side adventures, maybe 50% is a random median guesstimate for magic item sales.
Interesting that that's how it shakes out.
My 1st glance opinion , is to sell Uncommons and Rares for more crafting material as necessary.
Gygaxian DM sense, is you can choose to Not Sell, but "S"omebodies know you have the goods, and might be mad or have connections.

EDIT EDIT --- started a thread just for this, and am monitoring things/sites around this topics.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:22:25 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2015, 03:02:28 PM »
So, I looked through the MM to see if I could find some good Ranger Companions, and I found some pretty crazy stuff:

First off, Giant Owls possess their own language. I repeat, Giant Owls possess their own language. Now I have to see if I can get the whole party to pick up Giant Owl as a language so that we have some secret communication.

Secondly, Elk, Giant Poisonous Snakes, and Panthers are pretty clear winners - Giant Constrictor Snakes especially, since their attack becomes:
+[6 + Proficiency] to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + [4 + Proficiency] piercing, and then the target has to make a DC 11 Strength save or take 3d6 + Proficiency poison damage on a failed save, or half of that on a successful one.

Ranger Companions make pretty excellent mounts if you read Ranger Companion as trumping the normal action limitations on unintelligent mounts. Because if they do, anything with Charge (Hi Mr. Elk!) is a winner. If it doesn't, stuff like Giant Wolf Spiders or Giant Lizards can net you a mount that can carry you all-terrain inside a dungeon, replaced with stuff like Giant Owls if your campaign is mostly out in the open. Did I mention Giant Owls don't provoke opportunity attacks for moving away from enemies?

Giant Owls would also probably fall under the "intelligent mounts" heading, given that they have Int 8.

Oh, and as a side note: you can get Swarms of Bats, Rats, or Ravens as a Ranger Companion.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2015, 03:05:19 PM »
Any that produce poison with the poison condition?