Author Topic: The Approaching Hailstorm  (Read 9849 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: The Approaching Hailstorm
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2016, 01:31:04 PM »
As Brennus read through the tome, he grew more and more disturbed, for it talked of blood and sacrifice, one life-force extinguished in the pursuit of another. And while the wording was unclear and the phrasing archaic, it appeared that the soul of the deceased creature must be forced through a type of particular artefact in order to be shaped appropriately. And for the other half of the equation, that of arcane magic, there would need to be an equal shaping, together the forces forming a blending of life, knowledge, and death. Only then would the curse be lifted from the afflicted target.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2016, 09:12:44 AM »
"So, I need an artifact and vast amounts of arcane magic. Is there something I am missing?."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2016, 08:21:04 AM »
His guide and host glanced through the book he was reading. "Artefact here I think means more magical implement, something that could guide and improve the magic as it was being created. And you'd need two, not one. One for the magic of ritual and death, and another for that of Lledrith. But otherwise, you are correct." She patted her fellow hanian on the shoulder, his flesh cold to the touch even through cloth. "The arcane side of the matter, I suspect, is no great difficulty. But to find a willing ritualist... I'm sorry. I'll have to let the mageguards know where you are before you can turn."

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2016, 08:56:06 AM »
Brennus's brows twitch for a moment at the woman's suggestion.

"There's no need for that. I am actually working with them in order to find a cure. I can return there by myself. Although, I won't bother to try to convince you from not putting someone on my tail to check it." He pauses for a moment to see the woman's reaction. If nothing happens, he bows and says "I thank you for your help in my time of need. May I ask your name?"

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2016, 09:21:47 AM »
"Call me Laedia. And I am surprised the mageguard would let you walk the streets so freely, given your condition. But they must have reason to believe it's not so severe as it might appear." Pausing, she looked him square in the face. "On behalf of my ancestors, I am truly sorry."

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2016, 10:27:48 AM »
"Thank you for your help and good intentions, Laedia. Now, I must leave." Brennus bows once more before leaving from the way he entered, going back to the mageguard station he was locked in. Although he doesn't like them, those two mages will most likely squirm in utter glee when they hear his report, then help in whatever endeavor he needs to do... Or so Brennus hopes.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:33:27 AM by Risada »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2016, 11:37:52 AM »
Raizon and Llithea were delighted when Brennus returned. They were even more delighted with the news that he brought. “Combining magics in such a way? It’s something that should never have even been attempted!”

“But think of all the amazing combinations that could be brought forth! We could transform Arhosa.”

“Into an uttercold wasteland, apparently.”

“That would be a minor drawback at first, but we’re arcanists, we can overcome it with repetition.”

Raizon slapped his hands over his eyes. “Just… no.”

Llithea sighed. “You always spoil the fun. But to the matter at hand, which is turning Brennus back from an undead monstrosity into an arcane one. So you say we need a ritualist and a special artefact of magic or two? And you don’t know where any of those things are?”

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2016, 12:56:03 PM »
"Actually, the lady in question wasn't willing to share all the information, fearing I could blackmail her family, which is a valid point, but at the same time leaves me without much options. You guys have any idea how can I meet people from this Dengest family? Perhaps they can help us regarding the artifacts."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2016, 11:49:53 AM »
Llithea immediately turns up his nose. "Those smelly failures? Is there no one else in Adeinia who might be of use? You're asking us to find the biggest failure of an arcanist's family in all the skycity. And they live in the gutters. The only reason we even still know about them is they're the perfect example of what not to do."

With a warning gesture, Raizon cut Llithea's diatribe short. "Best we not speak ill of the fallen, lest the gods take humour in making us join them. Fasnachu always did have a sense of irony." Turning to Brennus, "We can ask around, if you like. But they're hardly likely to be easy to find. Arcanists don't hold much truck with them, and they are no longer fond of our kind..."

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »
"Please check for information about them. Other people can make contact with them in order to avoid friction. Or at least I can talk, or appeal, with them."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2016, 10:27:35 AM »
Llithea nodded. “There’s always the possibility one of them no longer holds the grudges that they used to. We can try. But it’s still a fool’s errand.”

There was a quite grumbling from across the room, but as Rizon chose not to raise his voice to an actually audible level, there was nothing Brennus could say to it. So he merely watched as the two of them shuffled out, the cold wracking his body and causing him to shiver. He could feel the curse crouching, all but ready to pounce and cripple him forever. However much time he had left to solve his dilemma, it wasn’t much. Of course, once he became undead he’d have all the time in the world…

Silence descended as Brennus was left alone with the journal, his notes, and his thoughts.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2016, 01:39:55 PM »
"Let's hope the gods haven't abandoned me yet." Brennus isn't exactly the religious type, but he couldn't help but sigh this in his heart.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2016, 04:49:34 PM »
Given that the two arcanists had not only managed to find the family he had asked them to, but had also managed to once again smuggle the hanian out of the basement of the guild, it seemed that the gods, or at least Fasnachu, had not yet abandoned Brennus. Of course, the Lady of Luck was ever perverse in her pleasures…

And so the cursed wizard found himself huddled inside the corner of a broken building, wind and rain plummeting down about him as the skycity trundled through the night-time sky. Supposedly, a go-between would be arriving shortly so that he might pass a message to the members of the Dengest family, and what information they might have with regards to his condition.

What arrived instead was Raizon, and in some distress. “You’ll want to get a move on. The family is, mmm… not pleased about all of this. They were luring us in!”

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2016, 12:51:47 PM »
Brennus's lips contract into a thin line, his eyes cold.

"What do you mean by lured us in? Whay do they want from a half-undead creature?" After a few breaths... So, back to the cell, I guess...

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2016, 08:34:37 AM »
Raizon grumbled. "I wish I knew, but they seemed most interested in you. Perhaps all is not it seems."

Returning to his abode, Brennus and Raizon waited, Raizon visibly disturbed by what he had seen.

"It seems that for all of the many stories about this family, they have used their fall from grace to hide other doings. Ones that seem most unpleasant."

What arrived, instead of Llithea, was a note, delivered by a page boy of the mageguild. It read, in full:
"Whilst we wish him no undue harm, we have retained your friend as incentive for a meeting with the afflicted one. He and we have a great many things to discuss, and we would be most displeased should such a meeting be cut... short."

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2016, 09:03:51 AM »
A cold light crosses Brennus's eyes. After the boy is gone, he speaks.

"Is it just me being paranoid, or this letter can also be read as if the Dengest family wants me fully cursed? This is the only message I received from this." The coldness goes away from him. "Where is this meeting supposed to happen? At the very least I must make sure you brothers don't get harmed because of me and my circumstances."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2016, 09:50:24 AM »
"It does rather appear that they wish to continue your transformation, if not accelerate it." Raizon paused. "On the other hand... that means they have the knowledge as to how to adjust your current state.

And it appears they wish to engage with you in a quiet part of the skycity, one mostly removed from where people lived. Or at least so I thought..."

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2016, 01:03:06 PM »
"Can you put someone you trust sneakily in there? If worst come to worst and they apprehend me, this person can go to the mageguard and report my prison break, as well as make sure I won't remain existing while cursed with undeath."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2016, 07:04:46 AM »
"Llithea will be there, although less by judgement than by luck, but given his apprehension, there is a decent chance his abilities are inaccessible to him at this time. So I'll just have to come along with you. I can always leave a note behind - they do get discovered right at the opportune moment in this place."

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2016, 09:31:37 AM »
"You sure about this? They don't seem friendly to me. You coming with me will put you in danger, most likely. Think carefully if you really want to come." Brennus warned Raizon.