Author Topic: Fun Pathfinds  (Read 103333 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Fun Pathfinds
« on: October 22, 2017, 11:33:34 PM »
Here is the previous thread
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Pathfinds
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:51:42 PM »
Need to get rid of some item (or collection therof) forever?

Mantle of the Void is not the cheapest item (priced at just under 18.5k), but it's undeniably effective for this purpose.  Normally, you're supposed to just use it to gain a +6 insight bonus on a single roll 1/day, with more uses gained by taking Wisdom burn.  However:

If, for any reason, the wearer’s Wisdom is reduced to 0 while wearing the mantle, it swallows him whole and he disappears forever, unrecoverable even to effects such as reality revision.

So, for the cost of a sacrifice (doesn't have to be humanoid, a sheep probably works fine) and a way to inflict Wisdom damage/drain, you can send things off beyond the reach of Wish spells.

Now, this assumes that "swallows him whole" includes worn or carried items.  The description doesn't mention other gear at all.

Also, for a second fun find is the Map of the Mind.  Psychic Reformation 1/week for 16k.  This is explicitly tied to the item, so having a couple of these lets you use it more often.  Regardless, it's perfect for picking up crafting feats or similar "downtime" abilities.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:40:39 PM by snakeman830 »
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 04:02:04 PM »
Niiiiiiiice !

Can I nominate this for PF Bunko's ?

Skill bonus and PsyRef parts are difficult to price,
and by themselves not worth the cost.  However
death for all time , to nearly anything = Pricele$$

Perhaps a Contingency to pre-game the sacrifice part.
Wis damage via what, real Insanities, Rogue stuff, Poisons, 3.0e psi combat ...
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »
Niiiiiiiice !

Can I nominate this for PF Bunko's ?

Skill bonus and PsyRef parts are difficult to price,
and by themselves not worth the cost.  However
death for all time , to nearly anything = Pricele$$

Perhaps a Contingency to pre-game the sacrifice part.
Wis damage via what, real Insanities, Rogue stuff, Poisons, 3.0e psi combat ...
It should be noted that Dominate effects cannot force the wearer of the Mantle to use it.  That is explicitly spelled out.

Everything else?  Go for it.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 09:27:33 PM »

Mantle of the Void is not the cheapest item (priced at just under 18.5k), but it's undeniably effective for this purpose.  Normally, you're supposed to just use it to gain a +6 insight bonus on a single roll 1/day, with more uses gained by taking Wisdom burn.  However:

If, for any reason, the wearer’s Wisdom is reduced to 0 while wearing the mantle, it swallows him whole and he disappears forever, unrecoverable even to effects such as reality revision.

So, for the cost of a sacrifice (doesn't have to be humanoid, a sheep probably works fine) and a way to inflict Wisdom damage/drain, you can send things off beyond the reach of Wish spells.

Now, this assumes that "swallows him whole" includes worn or carried items.  The description doesn't mention other gear at all.

Rather than sacrificing a person, just use a casting of Animate Objects. Objects have no Wisdom. Insta-void~

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 09:40:20 PM »

Rather than sacrificing a person, just use a casting of Animate Objects. Objects have no Wisdom. Insta-void~
Animate Objects becomes a creature, which means it gains a Wisdom score (1, at least).  It also doesn't work on magical items (which almost everything you want to get rid of like this is).

Even if you did animate it, constructs are immune to ability damage and drain.  Since penalties can't reduce a score below 1, you're kinda screwed out of that way.

So, doesn't work with animating because of limitations there.  Best to get some animal with saddlebags.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 09:52:23 PM »
Just trying to avoid moral implications of sacrificing innocent woodland critters :p

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 10:08:13 PM »
Grab something that would be slaughtered for its meat if it didn't do this instead.  Conundrum solved :p

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 10:50:35 PM »
Technically that's everything made of meat  :lmao

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 10:06:08 PM »
Polymorph Any Object the Item of Doom into a squirrel.  Place hat on Squirrel of Doom.  Drain wisdom as appropriate*.  No more doom.

*Without knowing the item's full text, I have no idea if other wisdom drain would work or not.  Caviat Munchkin.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 04:15:50 AM »
Polymorph Any Object the Item of Doom into a squirrel.  Place hat on Squirrel of Doom.  Drain wisdom as appropriate*.  No more doom.

*Without knowing the item's full text, I have no idea if other wisdom drain would work or not.  Caviat Munchkin.
It doesn't matter how the wearer's Wisdom hits 0, only that it does hit 0.

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 02:54:56 AM »
I just found an interesting little feat. Invoke Primal Instinct lets you spend a use of wild shape as a standard action to force everyone within 30' to make a will save against either being frightened for rounds/level or consider you harmless for 1 minute unless you attack. What makes it good is that the DC of the Will save is equal to your result on a Bluff check. You can easily pump that until it's unbeatable and have a no save, just lose, AOE.

Look! It can make the Shifter decent!

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 12:47:47 AM »
Not too shabby!
- All Spells
- playground

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 11:32:55 AM »

Also, for a second fun find is the Map of the Mind.  Psychic Reformation 1/week for 16k.  This is explicitly tied to the item, so having a couple of these lets you use it more often.  Regardless, it's perfect for picking up crafting feats or similar "downtime" abilities.

Use a goat instead of a sheep, they'll eat anything. Plus, it's traditional for goats to be sacrifices.... hence the term 'scapegoat'.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 11:46:35 AM »
Where's mantle of the void from?
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 06:07:06 PM »
No wonder.... I've avoided 3pp PF stuff
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 09:55:21 PM »
No wonder.... I've avoided 3pp PF stuff

In case you didn't know, Paizo has effectively outsourced all psionics to Dreamscarred Press.  It's like 1.5pp.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 11:01:37 PM »
Or simply the official pathfinder devs don't care about psionics, which is a sentiment I can symphatize with. Starfinder for example doesn't have any either.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 12:16:32 AM »
Or simply the official pathfinder devs don't care about psionics, which is a sentiment I can symphatize with. Starfinder for example doesn't have any either.

I'm pretty sure of my interpretation, especially since there is a large group of people who will pay good money for psionics books and Paizo is a business if nothing else.. 

Also Starfinder only has one kind of magic so I assume psionics just gets rolled into that and I expect the system to never have psionics (also psionics are never part of the core books in any system I've read besides weird stuff with randomly rolled powers).