Author Topic: Fun Pathfinds  (Read 103349 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Pathfinds
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2019, 08:22:02 PM »
Craziest boon?
Andirifkhu
3 Killing Machine (Su): Once per day as a full-round action, you can transform yourself into a trap. The trap must have a CR equal to or less than your total Hit Dice (maximum CR 20), and the environment must be able to support your new form. When your trap form is triggered, or when a creature attempts to disable your trap form, you can instantaneously return to your normal form (appearing in the square or squares targeted by your trap form). This occurs after the trap has finished triggering and its effects are resolved (if appropriate), and it causes a surprise round in which only you and those who were aware of your true nature may act. This transformation otherwise lasts for 24 hours or until you dismiss it as a full-round action. This is a polymorph effect.
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2019, 09:57:23 PM »
If not for the 1 per day that would be tier 0 without question. Even with it, I think it's still tier 0. You can actually bypass expensive material components and true resurrection an entire village or acquire infinite anything with Wish traps.

That's  just from spell traps. You can do crazy things with traps that aren't spell traps. Use Lava Flood trap for some Dorf nonsense. I'm sure there's some way to abuse that the whole "room" floods with a Flooding Room trap (how do you make a very large "room"?). Bring down buildings with a Collapsing ____ trap?

I think the editors were busy with PF2 and whoever wrote this book knew it.

edit: Limited by your hit die? That's not actually as limiting a factor as one would expect. It's easily improved with Inspire Greatness.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:34:52 PM by Nanashi »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2019, 12:06:01 AM »
The earliest you can get it, is level 14.

Even then, as you mentioned, the craziness of what's available as a trap is endless.

Instant reset never miss proximity enclosed room of solid prismatic wall surrounded by an automatic field and dimensional anchor could get a tad nasty (CR ~18 as far as I can figure). No physical or magic escape, eventually you'll fail.

Do rituals count as spells for the purpose of traps?

Edit: yup

These spells are rare...

Dominate a spellcaster, force them to cast a ritual that is deadly when failed, like Fourth Apotheosis or Quartern Disjunction.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:23:40 AM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanashi

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2019, 01:39:25 AM »
Wait, that's from Book of the Damned? I thought that was just more Concordance of Rivals. No idea how that managed to get through. Maybe since it's attached to a CE deity, one that requires you "torture a living creature that is smaller than your size category on a mechanical device that utilizes blades or spikes, or torture a bound creature of any size with a knife." no less, they felt there's no way a PC is getting it in a normal campaign (and neither published evil campaign for PF is that friendly to demon worshipers given both have you work for devils).

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2019, 03:38:50 AM »
Have a party member that's into BDSM, and torture them.
But, I agree, worshipping demon lords isn't very common in most games.

Book of the Damned has some of the best boons out there, you just have to make a deal w a friendly fiend.

Nocticula let's you suck-face-ubus energy drain people or backstab for d10s
Mesmara can make you a ghost or get a grand hex
Worm guy gets you worm that walks template
Zura gives you a hideable vampirism
Sifkesh gives makes you a dismembered angel w 15ft reach
Andirifkhu turns you into a sandbox trap
Jezelda gives you true lycanthropy
Kabriri turns you into a ghoul
Mazmezz turns you into a drider
Gargoyle guy gives you a death gaze

And those are just off the top of my head.

If you do the Sifkesh boon cheese, you can get a handful of various boons that jump your sneak attack up ~7d6, not to mention A stacking flat +2/die based on the weapon. Toss that on a rogue 20 for ~200 SA damage/attack (Nocticula gives d10 SA vs. allies, just use a great disguise)

Alternately, you could use Sifkesh tricks to get your Cha mod to AC ~3-4 times
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:46:47 AM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2019, 03:11:43 PM »
Poppets and the Craft Poppet feat from Adventurer's Armory 2.

For a mere 2,810 gp, you get a tiny construct with a climb, fly, and swim speed. If it can reach it, it can leave a rope or grapple and then you can reach it.
The totally pimped out tiny version costs 5,710 gp, has AC 18, hp 15, walk and fly speed 30' with hover, climb and swim speed 20', a light load of 64 lbs, and a heavy load of 195 lbs.
The small version is just over double that at 11,500 gp, has AC 16, hp 25, the same speeds, a light load of 171 lbs, and a heavy load of 518 lbs.
Provided you can keep it from getting popped by a random fireball, that's enough to loot most dungeons with room to spare.

On the feat end, you can take Craft Poppet at 1st level. It is rather useless as it ONLY makes poppets. However, it counts as both Craft Wondrous Items and Craft Arms and Armor for the purposes of qualifying for Craft Construct, so you can save yourself a feat.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2019, 03:56:44 PM »
Craft Poppet + Craft Construct = fast lane to Tony Stark?

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2019, 08:19:29 PM »
Both feats? Nice
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanashi

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2019, 02:59:35 AM »
Chronicle of Legend is almost nothing but crunch, and it's very high quality crunch. Sadly it will be the last crunch bar some stuff scattered in the remaining books of Tyrants Grasp and Ferengi of the Inner Sea, neither of which will be crunch based.

The only thing I'd say is actually bad is the vigilante talent Morphic Mask, and that's only because it's pretty much strictly inferior to an ability next to it that doesn't require it (or anything): Morphic Mask makes your identities look different within the confines of your race and gives a disguise bonus based on how different the two are, Malleable Flesh gives you at will disguise self but physical and only +5 bonus to disguise. Unless you design your character around it, playing as a little girl that turns into a venerable wizard man (giving +10 to disguise. +20 if you get the size change.), MM will more likely only give +4 while MF gives +5 and MF isn't locked to form (plus gives moving through non-airtight things at level 12). Other than that, the vigilante talents are some fun stuff.

Following up Malleable Flesh is a talent that gives the Ooze Morph Shifter's Morphic Weaponry ability (two natural weapons that do the damage type of your choice, three at sixth level) without having to take Ooze Morph. RAW, if you gain more natural weapons through other methods you can get a lot since you're not using the Shifter's abilities to shapeshift,

Steel Soldier makes a single set of armor conceable and easy to don. That's meh, but at level 8 "the vigilante treats modified armor’s enhancement bonus (if any) as a weapon enhancement bonus when making attacks with the armor’s gauntlets, if the armor has any". Remember how magic armor is half the price of a single magic weapon? As far as I can tell, you can still make these gauntlets +1 Whatever Gauntlets if you want special properties and use the +5 armor bonus as enhancement.

Volatile Arrows is gaining alchemist bombs+fast bombs+missile for a single talent. You can gain another use and any bomb mod alchemist discovery for every extra talent spent on it. While it's a shame Alchemist can't do that RAW (missile and fast bomb don't stack and I'm not aware of any fast missile talent being printed), being able to fire BAB+Rapid Shot+Haste shots and attach a force bomb to each is just dope (that's like ~112.5 force damage as an AoE at level 10, though it's kinda a nova since you only have 3+int bombs by default). There's no requirements for this either, though you get less bombs than an alchemist.

Ninja (and Rogue by extension.) get some awesome advanced tricks. At will alter self. Unlimited shuriken as long as you buy a set of 50. Improved Familiar with no prerequisites (!) from an OK list.

Level 20 Clerics get strictly better just for this book existing, gaining an extra domain at level 20 with no cost. Capstones are all nice, but you'll only ever see them briefly in three APs or a game full of high power nonsense anyways.

Magic Trick gives low level spells extra options if you take it and meet some (typically trivial) requirements. None of these are massive bonuses, but most are useful+fun and certainly worth a feat (and it's not like Wizard 20 is starved for feats anyways).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:02:03 AM by Nanashi »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2019, 01:34:42 PM »
More Chronicle of Legnds

(click to show/hide)
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanashi

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2019, 03:16:14 PM »
Shoot, I missed the any SLA part of familiar capstone. What to use the other 3 levels of SLA for after Wish/Miracle once per day?

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2019, 03:32:31 PM »
Didn't look that closely  :facepalm
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanashi

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2019, 01:33:57 AM »
Seemless Shapechanger should stack with Malleable Flesh, boosting that disguise bonus to +25 (with take ten on disguise only someone with +14 perception or true seeing can ever beat your disguise). Should because it doesn't explicitly say it's a polymorph effect, strict RAW it's still an illusion that duplicates the function of a polymorph effect.

edit:
Found this while seeing if there were any vigilante specific magic items
Quote from: Shifting Jerkin
This +1 lamellar cuirass grants its wearer shapeshifting.

On command, the wearer of a shifting jerkin can change her appearance at will as per disguise self. If the wearer has a talents class feature (investigator talents, ninja tricks, rogue talents, or slayer talents), once per day she can spend 1 hour to swap out one talent for another for which she qualifies. She can’t swap a talent that is a prerequisites for other talents or feats she has.

This changes appears to be permanent, and the item is really cheap. This makes some niche talents actually worth a look.

Noble’s Vigilant Pillbox is cheap, always on, slotless, detection of poison, disease and invisible creatures. Ignore the bit about swallowing the parts.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 03:06:31 PM by Nanashi »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 04, 2019, 01:00:43 PM »
here's an old one...

Lunar Oracle Mystery
Final Revelation: Upon reaching 20th level, you become an avatar of the primal world—part humanoid, part beast. Once per day, you can transform into a lycanthrope of your choice for a number of hours equal to your Charisma modifier, gaining all the powers of a natural lycanthrope of that type, including the ability to change shape between human, animal, and hybrid form. In addition, you become immune to mind-affecting and language-dependent effects, as well as effects that specifically target only humanoids.

everyday, tailor your form to a party member and nibble on them
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanashi

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 04, 2019, 07:05:54 PM »
I saw someone pointing out Sap Adept/Master works with Merciful/Bludgeoner bows firing blunt arrows. Made me realize some utility on this one

Quote from: Chronicle of Legend
Marksman’s Shot (Ex): Those who seek to slay with a single shot must have keen eyes and perfect poise. As an attack action, the slayer makes a single ranged attack at his highest attack bonus with a ranged weapon he wields. The target of the attack must be the slayer’s studied target. On a successful hit, the slayer doubles the number of sneak attack dice applied to the attack; if the attack was not a sneak attack, this benefit does not apply.
Quote from: Sap Adept
Whenever you use a bludgeoning weapon to deal nonlethal sneak attack damage, you gain a bonus on your damage roll equal to the number of sneak attack damage dice you rolled.
Quote from: Sap Master
Whenever you use a bludgeoning weapon to deal nonlethal sneak attack damage to a flat-footed opponent, roll your sneak attack dice twice, totaling the results as your nonlethal sneak attack damage for that attack

Quadruple Sneak Attack! Shame it's an advanced talent, but with Accomplished Sneak Attacker that's 16d6+8 (~64) at level 10 before anything else.

Then I saw this when checking for Slayer Talents to round it out
Quote from: Jaguar's Grace
A slayer with this talent does not take the normal –4 penalty when dealing nonlethal damage using a weapon that normally deals lethal damage. Attacks made this way can apply nonlethal sneak attack damage. The slayer must be at least 4th level to select this talent.
Strictly better than Bludgeoner.

Sniper's Goggles null the range issue, and the greater variant gives a +16 damage (~80 just from sneak attack at level 10).

This build would be shut down hard by anything immune to non-lethal (undead, constructs, inevitable) or sneak attack (elementals, ooze, protean, various field conditions) though. Such is the life of a sneak attacker.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 04, 2019, 08:03:05 PM »
Nocticula gives +2d6 SA and d10s vs allies
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanashi

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2019, 01:07:38 AM »
Any way to get sentinel boons without class levels though?

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2019, 01:38:24 AM »
Choice of a pair of feats...
Deific Obedience via Diverse Obedience
Fiendish Obedience via Damned Soldier

EDIT:

as mentioned that the Arch-Familiar has extremely broken SLAs.... it works for Permanency too!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:50:18 PM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanashi

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2019, 10:55:25 PM »
Taking Solar Bloodline with Eldritch Heritage on a Phoenix bloodline sorcerer actually has a surprising level of synergy. The ability to remove "1d6 points of ability damage, blinded, confused, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, nauseated, poisoned, or sickened." actually fixes the problem of lacking the Cleric's next-day condition removal that makes phoenix bloodline sorcerer a medicore healer.me for the first). Paralysis (I can't think of a source that lasts for hours), curse, and petrification (both on Sorcerer list) are the only major problems I can think of

Edit: Kingmaker VG made me remember the Thug archetype (trade trapfinding for the ability to stack intimidate if you intimidate well) for Rogue was a thing. This totally slipped by since it's a Rogue archetype that replaced trapfinding (AKA the only reason Rogue was ever needed), the Rogue lacked ways to boost intimidate and predated the Unchained Rogue (which made the rogue otherwise useful). With current stuff, you can actually make a useful build out of this by making a strength focused Slayer with a dip (or 4 levels) in Rogue. Take the trait that replaces Intimidate's ability score with Strength, Dazzling Display and Violent Display.

Now when you hit an enemy and get sneak attack, you inflict a bunch of debilitations. Violent Display+Thug's Brutal Beating+Unchained Rogue's Debilitating Injury+whatever Sneak Attack modifying talent you picked up. This works out to –2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks (and runs away if you get high enough duration) for every enemy, a –2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks, -2 penalty to AC (or attack rolls. -4 vs you) and 1 point of strength or dex damage which stacks. All of this is on a full BAB-1 melee character in medium armor with two good saves and 6+int skill points (and you can spend a talent on trapfinding if you want it)

This is especially good in Kingmaker due to how it handles flanking. Anyone with two targets attacking them at once in melee, regardless of angle, is considered flanked and (for archers) you don't have to be a flanker. I think I'll put one of these on my team for one or both of the DLC quests.

edit 2: In PnP you can use Disheartening Display to increase fear further. Thug is hurt by this existing, though the above build comes on earlier.

edit 3: Ferenginar Druma book is out. Only two mechanical bits, one interesting, the other a candidate for worst feat ever unless you use it in ways it wasn't intended for. (actually there's some stuff about the mundane animals as ACs and familiars, but they're not that interesting)

Golem's Conviction requires Improved Iron will and BAB +8 and lets you ignore mind control commands for half your level in rounds, but you're limited to doing nothing or attacking something nearby. Interestingly explicitly works on mind-effecting abilities that just inflict a condition (Hideous Laughter being given as an example) on top of dominate effects. Shame the requirements are a bit steep.

Unspoken Bond is a teamwork feat that lets you gesture to make basic conversation. It has steepish requirements for what it does (4 ranks in two skills) given it can be replicated with a language slot. The interesting use is with any class that gains the ability to share teamwork feats and has an animal companion gives you a talking animal companion.

Tyrant's Grasp part 5 has Soul Sight goggles. 15,000 GP for always on Arcane Sight (normally 7,500 GP just for the permanency, and that has a visible side effect, so they actually cost the same+eye slot if you have CWI), make all your magic weapons 100% effective ghost touch (and non-magic ones 50%, as though you're using any by the time you can afford these) and once per day can for one hour gain Spiritsense ("A psychopomp notices, locates, and can distinguish between living and undead creatures within 60 feet, just as if it possessed the blindsight ability.", specific monsters of the type clarify they have blindsight but can't see objects with it)

Keyhole is a level 1 spell that creates a keyhole in doors that don't have one, letting you peer through them and Disable Device doors without locks (DC=Break Check+10 though, so rather high), though how that works when locked without a key generally means "physically barred" or (less confusingly given the spell's text) Arcane Locked isn't clear. Dead Roads is essentially a Cleric version of Shadow Walk that lets you go to shadow, etheral, astral or boneyard planes if you spend 10 hours in exchange for not seeing things.

Next issue section notes it will include a 28 page article section that will include "New class archetypes, a new prestige class, Iblydan hero‑gods, advice for GMs, and much, much more!" among other things.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 01:40:43 AM by Nanashi »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 18, 2019, 01:45:39 AM »
i like the keyhole spell, very inventive.

looks like obediences for a redeemed Nocticula?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:08:47 AM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground