Author Topic: Super Youkai Warhead: A new wave of technological progress!  (Read 12164 times)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Super Youkai Warhead: A new wave of technological progress!
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:30:06 PM »
Super Youkai Warhead

“I guess necessity is the mother of invention.” -Nitori Kawashiro, the original Super Youkai Warhead

Somewhere in The Untrodden Valley lies the hideout of a society of technologically-gifted kappa.
Their genius became famous as wonders both local and from other worlds entered new heights by their hands. The future looked bright as it seemed the entire world would benefit from their inventions; long distance communication, image capture, emission and reception of live and recorded footage, electrical energy... the potential of technological advance seemed limitless.
But despite the kappa's undeniable brilliance, their individual talents were too specialized and working as a team proved to be causing more problems than anything else. No large project ever seemed to be going anywhere.

Nevertheless, over many projects these kappa developed a knack for making the best of their talents.
Their ability to control water inspired a series of martial maneuvers to be created alongside the mechanical genius of their craft. The Super Youkai Warhead discipline was mostly assembled by Nitori Kawashiro, and was in turn shared with her friends and sold at the local town bazaars.
While the kappa consider humans to be their age-old friends and are willing to teach them, this friendship seemed to be at the heart of a great misunderstanding that has yet to be fully understood by both parties, and still discourages too many from letting them radically change their lifestyle with their high-tech gizmos.
A few had the courage or were mad enough to pursue the mastery of these crafts. Their ingenuity marked the world they lived in, sometimes in the form of a deep crater or by leaving behind contraptions that are revered and enshrined by a people for the tales of the wonders it worked, and mostly in the form of tons of incomprehensible stuff on sale at curiosity shops across the multiverse.

-The creative is the strong! Thought is form.

Super Youkai Warhead: How does it work?
(click to show/hide)

Key Skill: Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) and Swim.
Discipline Weapon: Firearms, splash weapons and mecha/arsenal weapons.

New Feats
(click to show/hide)

Maneuver and Stance List

1st level

Air Torpedo: Strike– Fires a strong , high-precision missile.
Criminal Gear: Strike– Weapon attack creates a drive gear. Adjacent gears combo together.
Optics "Optical Camouflage": Stance– Hide within a camouflage screen that can be disrupted upon taking damage.
Water Sign "Water Carpet": Boost– Stream allows you to swim .

2nd level

Farewell Rubber Ring: Boost– Shoot an anchor to pull or swing yourself into position or to pull things to you.
Flood "Ooze Flooding": Strike– Cannon shoots a stream of ooze that hampers movement.
Water Sign "Kappa's Pororoca": Counter– Wave of water disarms or trips and pushes target within melee reach.

3rd level

Aerial Blaster: Strike– Launch a guided missile that ignores vertical obstacles.
Kappa "Exteeeending Aaaaarm": Stance– Reach extension that can go around obstacles.
River Sign "Dividing Edge": Boost– Attacks drain energy.

4th level

Flood "Diluvial Mere": Counter– Raise a wall of water.
Kappa "Monster Cucumber": Boost– Recover energy and Kappowa.
Water Bomb Giant Swing: Boost– Free ammo for the next ranged attack that bounces on walls and bursts upon impact.

5th level

Kappa "Dried Shirikodama": Boost– Your next attack pierces damage reductions to hit a pilot directly.
Kiku-ichimonji Compressor: Strike– Drop a compressor pad that shoots up water streams that pushes those in the way.
Youkai Battleship "Sanpei Fighter": Stance– You expend and get a double attack once per round.

6th level

Kappa "Spin the Cephalic Plate": Counter–  Activate a spinning defensive field.
Photon Torpedo: Strike– Shoot a bunch of homing missiles.
Drown "Trauma in the Glimmering Depths: Boost– Weapon attacks are more lethal when they inflict massive damage.
Water Sign "Kappa's Flash Flood": Strike– Control water that suddenly fills an area to drown air-breathers.

7th level

Cucumber Sound System: Strike– Emit a cone of sound that soothes or stuns creatures.
Optics "Hydro Camouflage": Stance– Project a camouflaging image that masks allied presence.
Water Sign "Kappa's Great Illusionary Waterfall": Boost– Instant waterfall of water sends a powerful current to get pushed around.
Waterfall Sign "Kegon Gun": Boost– As per Water Bomb Giant Swing, but every attacks for 1 round.

8th level

Bubble Sign "Fire! Bubble Dragon": Counter– Make a bubble that blocks line of effect. Can catch opponents into it.
Heavy Rain "Great War beneath the River: Strike– Shoot up an emitter that sends a flooding rain, creating a ravaging current.
Water Sign "Summer Plastic Bottle Rocket": Strike– Shoot a lot a homing missiles.
Waterfall Sign "Shiraito Falls": Strike– Waterfall overwhelms those within, inflicting nausea.

9th level

Battle Machine "Fly! Sanpei Fight": Strike– Get bigger then charge with gusto!
Super Scope 3D: Stance– Get on the other side of the screen, into 'that other' dimension, to watch and shoot at stuff.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:26:32 PM by Anomander »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Super Youkai Warhead: Maneuvers explanations
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:31:37 PM »
Maneuvers explanations:

Super Youkai Warhead (Tech) maneuvers are an Extraordinary abilities and Super Youkai Warhead (Mystic) maneuvers are supernatural abilities.
Maneuvers that are supernatural abilities can fully affect incorporeal and ethereal opponents.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:58:22 PM by Anomander »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Super Youkai Warhead: A new wave of technological progress!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:31:46 PM »
-Reserved
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:54:04 PM by Anomander »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Re: Candid Friend: A new wave of technological progress!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 11:44:28 PM »
Work is slow and had a few hours to burn, so I figured I could begin that Nitori discipline I thought I could make.
Looking at it I saw a great opportunity to make a Touhou pilot discipline. It is perhaps even the perfect one for it.
Since I haven't made a school without a weird mechanism of some kind yet I decided I might as well keep that habit going and try to find new interesting ways to spice it up.

So now if you have a mecha, you get nice things. If you don't have a mecha, the school will be a little meh.
The water-control maneuvers will all be Supernatural ones and get the usual incorporeal/ethereal interaction.
The other more mecha/techno maneuvers will be Extraordinary and get no special interactions unless you are in a mecha (since your attacks are like force effects anyway).

Now, I'll get around to finishing the maneuver descriptions in good time when I've more time to burn between assignments.
Some help, ideas and so on in tailoring stuff is certainly welcome.

Arsenal Synergy is meant to offer certain specialization with certain maneuvers.
Like getting the Water Jet(I) accessory for your mecha would upgrade Water Sign "Water Carpet" and maybe get you superior swimming or some trick you can only do in water (to combo with other water-maneuvers).

It's gonna be fun!

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Candid Friend: A new wave of technological progress! [WIP]
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 01:04:05 PM »
I dunno. Giant Robots just really don't match up with Nitori, in my opinion. I mean, sure, you could point out a few instances where she is piloting a giant robot/driving an oversized vehicle (altho I personally couldn't and don't remember such), but they really don't/wouldn't define much less showcase what Nitori does overall or most often. The majority of what she employs that isn't her water controlling ability are just a myriad of portable gadgets and weaponry, yeah? Nitori just seems much more like that super/mad scientist with a huge bag of tricks (literally, too :p) . I personally see her having much more in common with a character like Dexter (Dexter's Lab) than as, well, a Gundam pilot.

It is an interesting take on it though, I can say. And I suppose using the existing Pilot and mecha stuff is convenient rather than making a new class. Although even then, I still find the possible usage of employing giant robots here pretty weird. I'd probably stick it onto Lunar Vanguard and their nanoarmor mechanics at best myself but then we're overlapping Lunarian and Kappa techs and that might just not sit right, I dunno.

There isn't much else to talk about on this one yet anyways except that though, yet. I don't think I like it being a discipline for Pilots for usage intended with giant robots, but that's me. I suppose I could see why you went with them though, having mentioned some things about maneuvers using energy and that probably being inspired from her mechanics in Hopeless Masquerade. Mmm....anyways....if this wasn't a Pilot restricted discipline, having some giant robot access in the top tier maneuvers or stances could probably suit it well...

Other than just my opinion, a few things to make this post worthwhile are needed!
Under the "How it works" tab, you've got "Learning the Divine Flame Discipline" instead of "Learning the Candid Friend Discipline"
Oh, I'm also curious about why you chose "Candid Friend" as the name for the discipline. I don't really get it :/

Actually, while thinking about whether I should actually post this or not (haha.. >.>) I was thinking about how a Touhou martial class for using Kappa tech could be pretty interesting like with how there is the Lunar Vanguard for Lunarians.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 01:26:42 PM »
I dunno. Giant Robots just really don't match up with Nitori, in my opinion. I mean, sure, you could point out a few instances where she is piloting a giant robot/driving an oversized vehicle (altho I personally couldn't and don't remember such), but they really don't/wouldn't define much less showcase what Nitori does overall or most often. The majority of what she employs that isn't her water controlling ability are just a myriad of portable gadgets and weaponry, yeah? Nitori just seems much more like that super/mad scientist with a huge bag of tricks (literally, too :p) . I personally see her having much more in common with a character like Dexter (Dexter's Lab) than as, well, a Gundam pilot.
My toughts as well. Altough some fans draw her as building giant robots, even then she's usually controling them from outside with some kind of remote control (that inevitably gets stolen or malfuctions).

But after Utusho got "promoted" to a magiscientist, I'm really not really suprised by this. I guess I'll make Alice's Forbidden school make her able to deploy interstellar battleships to keep up the rythm (since Alice's the one to actually have and use giant robots, even if they happen to be be dressed up in frilly clothes)

Oh, I'm also curious about why you chose "Candid Friend" as the name for the discipline. I don't really get it :/

It's her Battle Theme
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:29:07 PM by oslecamo »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 01:31:41 PM »
Thanks!
I saw it more as being used by Moon Vanguard than actual pilot classes, since the two pilot classes aren't part of the Touhou Project. I'm using the term 'mecha' only because Moon Vanguard uses that term as well for mechanics.

While a kappa-tech inspired class isn't out of the question, it doesn't exist yet so I'll leave that for the future.
It made sense for me since Kappas have a knack for taking existing technology apart and rebuilding them with their personal touch.

I chose Candid Friend because I lacked better options. Her titles aren't too fitting for a maneuver name so I went with her musical theme, as is the norm for most disciplines here.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 01:35:15 PM »
I dunno, Super Youkai Warhead has something to it. :D
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
It made sense for me since Kappas have a knack for taking existing technology apart and rebuilding them with their personal touch.

Oh yeah...I guess putting it like that does help make Moon Vanguard not seem as alien to me.
Heh.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »
I dunno, Super Youkai Warhead has something to it. :D
Yeah! I thought so too but I wasn't sure it was the right way to go. Maybe because I thought it was perhaps a bit too over the top. And because I really like the Candid Friend melody. I'll change it to Super Youkai Warhead.  :cool

Oh yeah...I guess putting it like that does help make Moon Vanguard not seem as alien to me.
That was the intent. Her bag of gadgets and those big vehicle spellcards are more personal than the huge mecha stuff but I'm not sure how I can make a Moon Vanguard nanomachine-based discipline that isn't compatible with the other pilot classes.

But after Utusho got "promoted" to a magiscientist, I'm really not really suprised by this. I guess I'll make Alice's Forbidden school make her able to deploy interstellar battleships to keep up the rythm (since Alice's the one to actually have and use giant robots, even if they happen to be be dressed up in frilly clothes)
I still wonder what gave you that idea.

(since Alice's the one to actually have and use giant robots, even if they happen to be be dressed up in frilly clothes)
The idea of dolls being robots aside, sure, Doll Judgement makes a great mecha discipline. Especially if you're puppeteer-ing  the doll from within. Or can control many little robots, like I'm all set on doing in your Phantasy Star campaign.
It also works thematically.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:45:23 PM by Anomander »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Youkai Warhead: A new wave of technological progress! [WIP]
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »
Made the discipline entirely independent of mecha rules. It will be available to the Moon Vanguard the same way many other Touhou disciplines are but the energy of mecha/nanoarmors will not be available to use to supply upgrade energy needs.
Figured it could be even better without them, and made more available since it wouldn't depend on an another system.

Might make a feat to allow energy transfer but that's something I'll look into later.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:06:31 PM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:25:08 PM »
Tought: If you're going to make it a new resource, how about giving it a new name? Like "power" or "electricity" or "charge" or a combination "energy charge" or something made up like Cucumbergy?

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
It is decided: Cucumbernergy™.

The word feels a little unpleasant to read but it sounds funny.
Good practical thinking.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:37:37 PM by Anomander »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Youkai Warhead: A new wave of technological progress!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 03:05:13 AM »
Gotta triple-check some numbers, most likely and there is a thing or two I'm thinking on altering, but I think I more or less finished this discipline.

I could say the same thing for the Youkai Engineer. Though the later needs a make-over as far pictures go. I recall I got some in-progress minor modifications in an unposted message on one of my cpu that I should get back to by the end of Monday. Nothing too important iirc.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 03:12:09 AM by Anomander »

Offline Bdrone

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 10:09:56 AM »
Hehehe. perfect timing on this, Ano. my YE just appeared in the story, and this afternoon we enter combat, but I was a little sad that I didn't have any non-line AoE potentials to really do missiles if I wanted.  I just glanced over this stuff here, but it looks like a blast (hah). It's always nice to have another Int based discipline (well, sort of here... combined with Swim) to work with, but it's rather beautiful with the YE.

Comments (in no particular order)-

I love the feats for this one- Though I do kind of want to cheese it with my arsenal and use the water option provided in Aquatic engineer, but i know they count as Arsenal instead of firearms. Solid Metal geared? The Box? HAHAHAHA, genius.

Air torpedo, Photon Torpedo, Water Sign "Summer Plastic Bottle Rocket"-

YESYESYES.  Aside from the fact I know heavy weapons probably wouldn't work with this, the idea of deploying missiles in order to ride them (air torpedo), or travel and swerve around to explode on people, is awesome. just awesome. one of the issues i have with YE is effective range, which i was going to fix somewhat by using Ace Pilot stances to counterbalance range, but this is another glorious option- after enough levels you've got the macro-missile spam distance to surprise a pack of archers.

Kappa "Exteeeending Aaaaarm"-

This one is odd to me. so your threatening range extends by the range of an opponent nearby you, but with cucumbernergy™ (wow, that on the tounge...) you generate a bigger threatening field in general AND your best mod gets used there (INT! INT!). being able to flank a guy yourself is kind of sweet, really. definitely zoggin' bootiful if your da choppy type, but being able to shoot from any distance inside the area is nice to. guess that means with fine tuning you can duck AOO's for shooting close range if you modify the area?

Cucumber Sound System-

This is pretty neat- primarily because we hadn't covered sound stuff in YE. i was just wondering what Progress expenditure would it be to have a microphone set up using the suit to amplify sound or do a Shoutaz sort of thing ("Hear ye, hear ye! your punishment is now in session!" *DAKKA*). but this kind of gives me an answer. lets Beat box/ EM someone into Stunned Silence. Do like!

Drown "Trauma in the Glimmering Depths"-

Uhm... I... don't know if i like this one, but as ive said before, im no judge of balance. im no great DM, so i can't speak about whether or not this is nuts. but it does worry me for an unexplainable reason (my work with higher level campaigns is nonexistent, so i do not know if this is okay or not...). I guess a Fort save or suffer can be par for the course, but to fuffill those criteria... sounds simple, though i have not run the math.

----
I was hoping this would be an interesting discipline to add to the bunch, and overall, it delivers. the water shaping, missile options, sound system, and other opportunities just sound great. Where my YE until this moment was sticking with Ace pilot and Into the Danger Zone... Into the Danger Zone may be executively removed to give Super Youkai Warhead a try (to be fair, Ace pilot was the auto-pick...). unfortunately for me... NOW i have to make more room for feats! GYAH!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:12:46 AM by Bdrone »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
Neat.

Osle mentioned before that maneuvers requiring weapon attacks can be use with Heavy weapons even if their initiation is a standard.
That goes for any other homebrew discipline out there requiring attacks from any weapon.

The discipline is half Int based and I am considering tuning more of the supernatural maneuvers to be more mental-based as well to keep the Str/Dex formula more focused on the weapon-dependent pilot maneuvers. If you're a YE with low Str/Dex scores in favor of a mental discipline there are other touhou disciplines that would give you great options. Even if you're all about weapons. In your case its all about the dakka so I guess you should be happy with the whole thing in general.

I made a wording mistake I hadn't noticed on K's Extending Arm. It isn't their reach but your own. Your reach pretty much becomes a spread effect so you can attack around corners and stuff, hopefully seeing what you're attacking (imagine the long arms moving around things).

For Trauma in the G Depths, I agree and do not like that one much either. I had been thinking of making the massive damage DC affected by the actual damage dealt instead of being linked to your own statistics. Something like DC+1 for every 10 damage of 50 or something like that. Maybe for every 5 instead considering that by then for the DC to actually become worrisome the damage itself is probably enough to kill you anyway (and you don't benefit from the swift action itself to boost your damage to reach those numbers).

Good luck with your YE. Tell me how it goes and if certain things feel clunky in execution or if managing PP is too easy or too hard. Things like that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:07:16 PM by Anomander »

Offline Bdrone

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 07:41:43 AM »
Sweet on the Heavy Weapon information- that will be put to great use.

im heavy on dex/int for the character in mind, and im alright with the half and half focuses you have created here. i commented about it being int because when making a Scholar i did a massive search for int based disciplines to put alongside Plain History and Int may be one of the least keyed stats in homebrew disciplines. its either that or Con, and i was very disappointed.

okay, now K's Extending Arm makes a lot of sense, and i love it! I already felt like using Gunfight as a primary stance, but this is close company for the close range advantages it provides.

As for Trauma in the Glimmmering Depths, as far as i can tell, the issue there is making the effect worthwhile to use, tilted vs weapon damage and the opponent dieing normally anyway. im assuredly not the person to Discuss the best method.

Thank ye, ill post what I've found in the YE thread. Ill say this much- the Dakka is beautiful.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 12:07:19 AM »
Is there anything left to work on for this discipline?

Your latest suggestion was to find a new name for energy thing and I'd like to make sure this one is finished before I get through to finish Desire Drive. True Administrator has been finished for a while and Apparitions Stalk the Night is still in process but I think I'd rather finish Desire Drive first since I already got a bunch of maneuvers for it from its previous incarnation. To say nothing of the other discipline I'm already half through. >_<

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 12:31:21 AM »
Cucumbernergy is a really ugly word to look at -_-'

But I have little ideas.
Kappowa? :rolleyes