Author Topic: Hermit base class + Tao Disciplines: The Tao Unleashed!  (Read 33016 times)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Re: Hermit base class + Desire Drive: The Tao Unleashed!
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 01:34:11 AM »
The recovery method is just too cheap, since its cost is zero as your main school already makes you want to re-enter stances all the time. There's not even a randomness factor like the crusader or eternal royal.
Looked at it again and, yeah. Two upon entering a stance is too much. Its getting hard to find new and unique means to recover maneuvers considering everything is getting taken.
Nothing would normally beat the Eternal Royal in recovery, since it doesn't even require actions. 1 maneuver recovered for a swift action when you change/enter a stance might be better. I wouldn't mind having it be done by some other mean. Will try to find new ones that aren't too similar to whats already out.

Trance is already a very powerful mechanic even when limited to the school's maneuvers and at a lot of points it was stretching what I consider admissible. Yet the base class itself now goes and gives you even more bonus for spamming trance effects and that's where I draw the line. Base classes shouldn't even be directly benefiting schools mechanics unless it's something completely specialized like the Frostwind Virago or Nuclear Dragon.
Weird. The goal was actually to make something specialized. I'm surprised I didn't make it clear enough.

A One-Track Paradise completely nullifies one of the very few limitations of the school just like that?
Limitation of the school? When you roll a Listen check to determine damage or to replace a stat or somesuch, being deaf/in silence doesn't affect the roll. You are not using the roll as a skill check to hear as per the skill description, you are just replacing the check/stat with its die and modifier.

Cheap turn undeads for swift actions(which were even keyed to your main stat)? No. Just no. In particular when it's even more abuseable when you want to enter stances all the time.
Stole it from the Ruby Knight Vindicator. Cool ability for a setting-specific deity prc. Turn undead being keyed to the main stat can be altered. I felt the original turn undead should have been itself.

You shouldn't make class abilities based on a discipline that wasn't yet designed.
However before you start thinking of a Forbidden school for this let me at least take a look at the class.
We have entered a paradox.
The ability can easily be altered to something else. I'm not worried about it. It didn't even come up until the end of the class-building process when I found out about Tenchi.
That or just remove access to Dream Battle and have it initiate Dream Battle maneuvers when trancing instead of Heavenly Bhavagra's. That way I can just later make Heavenly Bhavagra as a forbidden school to Dream Battle or Desire Drive.

Ok, just how many auras are you suposed to have on top of 6+int skill points, all good saves, and a school that's overflowing with group buffs already? There's whole classes out there just based on auras, and this one grants multiples of them on top of an already pretty powerful main chassis.
Two (when in trance mode).
I'll reduce the all good saves. Was too much on a zen martial-Monk trip then. 6+int skill points seemed right but can be reduced to 4.
Thinking about it, I think I'll remove all the additional stance gains after the first one, seeing how Desire Drive only offers one stance for each maneuver branch, and give the option to get a new stance instead of a minor aura whenever one is acquired.

I'll rewrite Hold Harmony Sacred as it doesn't work as intended as is. Will make it clearer.
Wuji's mechanism feels a bit clunky to me as well. It grants double aura instead of the usual double stance, but not as fluently as I want it to be.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 03:21:27 PM »
The recovery method is just too cheap, since its cost is zero as your main school already makes you want to re-enter stances all the time. There's not even a randomness factor like the crusader or eternal royal.
Looked at it again and, yeah. Two upon entering a stance is too much. Its getting hard to find new and unique means to recover maneuvers considering everything is getting taken.
Nothing would normally beat the Eternal Royal in recovery, since it doesn't even require actions. 1 maneuver recovered for a swift action when you change/enter a stance might be better. I wouldn't mind having it be done by some other mean. Will try to find new ones that aren't too similar to whats already out.
0-The crusader, one of the base Tob classes, already refreshes maneuvers with no action required, balanced by the fact there's a random element involved. Just like with the eternal royal, you can't be sure you're geting back the maneuver you want when you want it.
1-The scholar already has swift to recover one maneuver, but the scholar doesn't get to enter a new stance with the same precious swift action.
2-I agree that there's just so many actions out there, and that's why I sugest simply giving the hermit some average spammable attack that refreshes maneuvers.

Trance is already a very powerful mechanic even when limited to the school's maneuvers and at a lot of points it was stretching what I consider admissible. Yet the base class itself now goes and gives you even more bonus for spamming trance effects and that's where I draw the line. Base classes shouldn't even be directly benefiting schools mechanics unless it's something completely specialized like the Frostwind Virago or Nuclear Dragon.
Weird. The goal was actually to make something specialized. I'm surprised I didn't make it clear enough.
Then you should start by making the class have a single school and race.

A One-Track Paradise completely nullifies one of the very few limitations of the school just like that?
Limitation of the school? When you roll a Listen check to determine damage or to replace a stat or somesuch, being deaf/in silence doesn't affect the roll. You are not using the roll as a skill check to hear as per the skill description, you are just replacing the check/stat with its die and modifier.
Deafened

A deafened character cannot hear. She takes a -4 penalty on initiative checks, automatically fails Listen checks, and has a 20% chance of spell failure when casting spells with verbal components. Characters who remain deafened for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.

All listen checks, point. When reviewing the school, I was taking that in account.

Cheap turn undeads for swift actions(which were even keyed to your main stat)? No. Just no. In particular when it's even more abuseable when you want to enter stances all the time.
Stole it from the Ruby Knight Vindicator. Cool ability for a setting-specific deity prc. Turn undead being keyed to the main stat can be altered. I felt the original turn undead should have been itself.
A RKV has to delay maneuver progression, be a cleric of a god restricted to an average deity domain-wise (and also delay spellcasting), and even then it's only getting it at 12th, on a level that doesn't progress his maneuvers at all. And even then it's considered one of the most OP gish prcs out there on basically that alone.

You shouldn't make class abilities based on a discipline that wasn't yet designed.
However before you start thinking of a Forbidden school for this let me at least take a look at the class.
We have entered a paradox.
The ability can easily be altered to something else. I'm not worried about it. It didn't even come up until the end of the class-building process when I found out about Tenchi.
That or just remove access to Dream Battle and have it initiate Dream Battle maneuvers when trancing instead of Heavenly Bhavagra's. That way I can just later make Heavenly Bhavagra as a forbidden school to Dream Battle or Desire Drive.
Again, it's not really specialized if you're pulling stuff from other schools.

Ok, just how many auras are you suposed to have on top of 6+int skill points, all good saves, and a school that's overflowing with group buffs already? There's whole classes out there just based on auras, and this one grants multiples of them on top of an already pretty powerful main chassis.
Two (when in trance mode).
I was using "aura" as a generic term there. You're also geting the extra trance area effect on top on top of whatever the trance was actually doing for four total.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 11:24:35 PM »
The crusader isn't like the eternal royal. It has but a handful of readied maneuvers and they do not choose which one they have access to.
Unlike the ER, they can hardly use the same maneuver on two successive rounds because they have to wait 3 rounds to recover them each time, and pray they get those they need.
ER gets good odds of automatic recovery every round, and always get their hands on what they want.

The scholar may not get more use out of his swift action, but had the immense advantage of having the option to spend bigger actions for more recoveries. Two recovered maneuvers for a move action whenever you only really need to spend a 5ft step, a swift for a boost and a standard for a strike? Sounds like a much better recovery method than the Hermit's to me.
The Hermit has to enter/change his stance in the process, which isn't always such a good idea. Returning to the stance you left after trancing takes 1d4 rounds without the feat. Even if the feat makes recovering maneuvers easier action-wise, it still takes a feat. Pricey.

I might go for something like an attack spam, even though its kinda meh. Maybe something else than an attack. I'll think about it.

Unlike the others, it doesn't have a second school of your choice. You can't just pick your favorite combo. Dream Battle becomes adapted to function like Desire Drive, so it becomes an extension of it in a sense, and the school being available perhaps only as the 11th level class feature. It isn't necessary but it seems thematically appropriate.
It is sort of technically a template-class already. Hermits are kind of a touhou race, and the class eventually also turns you into a Shikaisen, Xian or Celestial.

Deafened
This is kinda funny, since you cannot 'fail' a damage roll. It isn't an opposed check or even a check to determine whether you succeed to accomplish a task.
When you roll a Listen check to determine damage, you roll, say, 16. You fail the roll, okay. Still deal 16 damage. Failing the roll doesn't mean you automatically roll zero. Just means you fail the check.
If you roll Listen instead of an attack roll or a save, then yes, it can automatically fail. If the disciplines are meant to have the skill checks work like that, it leads to weird results, like Crystallized Silver users dealing less damage because they are smaller than their targets.
And even if the discipline had that special disadvantage exclusive to it alone, I'd say that 5 levels in a specific class is quite a significant enough investment to alleviate it. This isn't a 1-2 level dip. If 5 levels in Hermit is what it takes to be able to use Desire Drive maneuvers without such a crippling weakness, I'd say that ability is necessary by then.
Else, it can all just be rewritten as making 1d20 rolls using your Listen skill modifier to avoid confusion.

A RKV has to delay maneuver progression, be a cleric of a god restricted to an average deity domain-wise (and also delay spellcasting), and even then it's only getting it at 12th, on a level that doesn't progress his maneuvers at all. And even then it's considered one of the most OP gish prcs out there on basically that alone.
RKV is also pretty good for other reasons but I'll agree it is its main highlight. I'll raise its acquisition to a higher level. 'Probly 19 unless I shift other stuff around.

You're also geting the extra trance area effect on top on top of whatever the trance was actually doing for four total.
Trance Aura is pretty much the Major Aura, but instead of having it take effect at all times I had it take effect only when in Trance mode. If you see that as benefiting the mechanics instead of a restriction, then I can just have it apply when you aren't in trance mode to have it not benefit the mechanics.
That or change it for the recovery ability device and its improvements, or something.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:28:29 PM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 07:13:48 AM »
The crusader isn't like the eternal royal. It has but a handful of readied maneuvers and they do not choose which one they have access to.
Unlike the ER, they can hardly use the same maneuver on two successive rounds because they have to wait 3 rounds to recover them each time, and pray they get those they need.
ER gets good odds of automatic recovery every round, and always get their hands on what they want.
"Good" odds. Not perfect odds. We both know that "good" odds such as 2/3 still fail 1/3 of the time. The crusader is geting fresh maneuvers one way or the other 100% of the time, and what crusader doesn't take extra readied maneuver anyway?

Unlike the others, it doesn't have a second school of your choice. You can't just pick your favorite combo. Dream Battle becomes adapted to function like Desire Drive, so it becomes an extension of it in a sense, and the school being available perhaps only as the 11th level class feature. It isn't necessary but it seems thematically appropriate.
If it isn't necessary then just remove it. Plenty of homebrew schools out there allow you to simply swap one of your class schools for another.

It is sort of technically a template-class already. Hermits are kind of a touhou race, and the class eventually also turns you into a Shikaisen, Xian or Celestial.
Irrelevant. The hermit is still geting a base race and can multiclass a lot more freely with other stuff.

Deafened
This is kinda funny, since you cannot 'fail' a damage roll. It isn't an opposed check or even a check to determine whether you succeed to accomplish a task.
When you roll a Listen check to determine damage, you roll, say, 16. You fail the roll, okay. Still deal 16 damage. Failing the roll doesn't mean you automatically roll zero. Just means you fail the check.
If you roll Listen instead of an attack roll or a save, then yes, it can automatically fail. If the disciplines are meant to have the skill checks work like that, it leads to weird results, like Crystallized Silver users dealing less damage because they are smaller than their targets.
Bigger enemies taking less damage from cold than smaller enemies? Yep, totally doesn't make sense. Please don't mind the fact that insects and other small animals struggle to live in cold places for the simple fact that indeed having little mass makes you much more vulnerable to freezing to death. :rolleyes

And even if the discipline had that special disadvantage exclusive to it alone, I'd say that 5 levels in a specific class is quite a significant enough investment to alleviate it. This isn't a 1-2 level dip. If 5 levels in Hermit is what it takes to be able to use Desire Drive maneuvers without such a crippling weakness, I'd say that ability is necessary by then.
Else, it can all just be rewritten as making 1d20 rolls using your Listen skill modifier to avoid confusion.
Absolute immunities are still bad. How about simply a save against deafness, plus still geting a save against auto-deafness?

RKV is also pretty good for other reasons but I'll agree it is its main highlight. I'll raise its acquisition to a higher level. 'Probly 19 unless I shift other stuff around.
Good plan.

You're also geting the extra trance area effect on top on top of whatever the trance was actually doing for four total.
Trance Aura is pretty much the Major Aura, but instead of having it take effect at all times I had it take effect only when in Trance mode. If you see that as benefiting the mechanics instead of a restriction, then I can just have it apply when you aren't in trance mode to have it not benefit the mechanics.
That or change it for the recovery ability device and its improvements, or something.
I'll rather have the auras spread around more even than SUPER NOVA mode.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 02:09:33 PM »
"Good" odds. Not perfect odds. We both know that "good" odds such as 2/3 still fail 1/3 of the time. The crusader is geting fresh maneuvers one way or the other 100% of the time, and what crusader doesn't take extra readied maneuver anyway?
Doesn't diminish the entirety of the point I made. The fresh maneuvers aren't chosen, aren't as numerous even with the costly investment of a feat, and aren't easy to use two rounds in succession. The odds don't have to be perfect to be much better than this.

If it isn't necessary then just remove it. Plenty of homebrew schools out there allow you to simply swap one of your class schools for another.
A note that specifically states they cannot be swapped can be done. The other tobhou base classes also got a second school that isn't necessary. They still have it.

Irrelevant. The hermit is still geting a base race and can multiclass a lot more freely with other stuff.
Aye, that's why it is a base class and not a race class. Not much an issue considering the more I change it the less it directly benefits the mechanism of the school. If barely by the end of it. I'd have to make this much more powerful to be on par with the other race classes o_O

Bigger enemies taking less damage from cold than smaller enemies? Yep, totally doesn't make sense. Please don't mind the fact that insects and other small animals struggle to live in cold places for the simple fact that indeed having little mass makes you much more vulnerable to freezing to death. :rolleyes
That wouldn't be odd if the size wasn't dependent on the user's size. You want to implement that mechanism to Crystallized Silver? Being Large+ will make nasty adepts.

Absolute immunities are still bad. How about simply a save against deafness, plus still geting a save against auto-deafness?
I could just have it give a simple immunity to Deafness and get a penalty to Listen checks to hear when affected by conditions that makes it hard/impossible to hear. Like -10.
Immunity piercing effects usually give a +5 bonus to the save anyway and/or have a 'get a save against auto-infliction' clause already built-in.
I really should put a clause that states you can make Listen checks for the purpose of executing the martial maneuvers despite your ability to hear, to avoid having a condition that doesn't affect the use of martial abilities do just that.

I'm understanding that statement in many ways. I am not sure exactly what you are suggesting. Could you give me an example?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:12:15 PM by Anomander »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 03:10:08 PM »
Ah, objection on the thematic front, as regards Tenshi: only the Sword of Hisou stuff could be considered relevant to Celestials, since the keystones and earthquake stuff are a result of her family's previous abilities. There really doesn't seem enough the sword alone, even paired with Celestials being physically perfect and ludicrously durable, can do to make any sort of school. @_@

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »
Doesn't diminish the entirety of the point I made. The fresh maneuvers aren't chosen, aren't as numerous even with the costly investment of a feat, and aren't easy to use two rounds in succession. The odds don't have to be perfect to be much better than this.
That's debatable. At the end of the day geting some fresh maneuvers is still better than ending up with no maneuvers at all.

A note that specifically states they cannot be swapped can be done. The other tobhou base classes also got a second school that isn't necessary. They still have it.
Other tobhou classes don't automatically boost the second school they gain however.

Aye, that's why it is a base class and not a race class. Not much an issue considering the more I change it the less it directly benefits the mechanism of the school. If barely by the end of it. I'd have to make this much more powerful to be on par with the other race classes o_O
I'll admit that I haven't looked at this class in quite a bit, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now.

That wouldn't be odd if the size wasn't dependent on the user's size. You want to implement that mechanism to Crystallized Silver? Being Large+ will make nasty adepts.
Never if I have something to say about it. Small is cute, and cute is power in ToBhou!

I could just have it give a simple immunity to Deafness and get a penalty to Listen checks to hear when affected by conditions that makes it hard/impossible to hear. Like -10.
Immunity piercing effects usually give a +5 bonus to the save anyway and/or have a 'get a save against auto-infliction' clause already built-in.
I really should put a clause that states you can make Listen checks for the purpose of executing the martial maneuvers despite your ability to hear, to avoid having a condition that doesn't affect the use of martial abilities do just that.
The schools here aren't really your usual martial abilities, in particular because a good chunk of them are allowing you to mess up stuff bad regardless of your physical prowess.

Anyway penalty to listen checks if deafned works too I guess.

I'm understanding that statement in many ways. I am not sure exactly what you are suggesting. Could you give me an example?
Have trance aura apply when you're NOT in a trance. So you get to pick between trancing goodyness or extra aura goodyness.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 10:39:04 PM »
That's debatable. At the end of the day geting some fresh maneuvers is still better than ending up with no maneuvers at all.
Perhaps.
I'd say starting the fight with way more maneuvers (not selected randomly), considering the average length of an encounter, largely compensates for the odds of getting nothing instead of a random maneuver that might not be what you need at all (which is more or less the same as getting nothing that round). But yeah, debatable.

Other tobhou classes don't automatically boost the second school they gain however.
Granted. I'll remove it from the Hermit class and make a feat for it instead. I'll go with a dual school feat that would allow someone in a Dream Battle stance to trance Desire Drive maneuvers and someone in a Desire Drive stance to do something special with Dream Battle maneuvers.

Small is cute.
Not sure about that one.

Have trance aura apply when you're NOT in a trance. So you get to pick between trancing goodyness or extra aura goodyness.
Good idea. I'll think of another name for it considering Trance Aura while out of trance isn't very fitting anymore.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:42:21 PM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »
Ok, changes look good, so time to move to the other abilities:

-Some Wu Wei abilities seem kinda too strong right now:
(click to show/hide)

-Ditto for Blood of the One with Latent Power:
(click to show/hide)

Blood of the Transcendent One-Oh boy now things are geting ridiculous.
(click to show/hide)
A One-Track Paradise-Currently blocks both ill and benefical effects. Is that what you intended?

The Transformation of Things-Pretty strong and original, fiting for 20th level. Would just sugest changing the mass polymorph to fullround action.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 06:32:39 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 08:20:34 AM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 02:17:55 PM by Anomander »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 08:38:45 AM »
Honestly, pairing Byakuren with Ichirin and Kyouko (no Shou?) would result in something inherently contradictory in origin. Byakuren is a magician/monk that specialises in buffs, Ichirin basically uses laserspam and hangs around with Unzan, and Kyouko... is an echo youkai and in no way connected.

So, let's see:
Buddhist Monk turned Magic-User;
Buddhist Monk who has unidentified laserspam, but her main strength is that Unzan protects her;
Echo Youkai that sweeps the floors. :eh
Oh, and Toramaru: tiger youkai, avatar of bishamonten, laser lantern.

There's... no theme to that. Grouping them on 'live together' means you could add Nazrin, too. Nue and Mamizou are possible, since they moved in.

The thing about all them is that they're too incoherent to make a school; buffs and some general magic, lasers and a giant punching cloud, controls sound or something, magic lantern that basically summons a huge spinning cross, dowsing abilities, illusions, and shapeshifting. Magician, unidentified youkai protected by a nyuudou, echo youkai, avatar of a god, mouse youkai, the nue, tanuki.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:51:44 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 09:26:07 AM »
No theme? I didn't mention those that were just living at the temple; I mentioned those that are actually related to Buddhism. Just as the Hermits are connected by Taoism.
I'd add Shou if she hadn't been bundled up already with the gods for being the disciple of a deity of Buddhism.
They share that religious element and connection in their character design and spellcards.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 09:44:23 AM »
Umm... not seeing any shared design (Ichirin is the only one dressed properly) or spellcard theme. Fully half of Byakuren's are straightforward magic attacks, and there is certainly no Buddhist relationship to 'Devil's Recitation'.  Hell, only two Buddhist references in her cards: 'Syncretism "Manifestation of Mahavairocana"', and 'Good Omen "Nirvana's Cloudy Way in Purple"' (which is a reference to her brother, too). Ichirin's all refer to punching the hell out of things (since Unzan does the heavy lifting), and Kyouko's are all about sound.

Even visually, there's not anything like that. Ichirin has Unzan going on, Kyouko has that bullet-containment thing, and Byakuren has the butterfly... thing. And her scroll. :eh

Drawing a connection simply because 'buddhism' isn't much of an origin for the school when everyone's going in different directions. They hardly all draw on one skill or ability. :/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:52:55 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 06:34:12 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 08:06:02 PM »
Alright! I'll patch the thing once I find the time for it.

19 IL needed for 10th level maneuvers. Also spellcasters got their 9th level spells two levels ago.
And initiators got their 9th level maneuvers two levels ago too. 10 level spells/maneuvers/powers aren't meant to be available pre-epic. That is kinda why they are epic.

Why do you think I haven't touched in any of the characters from Touhou 12 and 13? Well, except the tiger girl, but she was just screaming to be included in Divine Battlefield.
Certainly makes sense. I learned about 13.5 long after finishing Desire Drive. Even Utsuho is coming back!

Not sure about Shou though, since she is a disciple just as Reimu is a priestess of Shinto gods. To be honest, VDB probably should have been limited to actual gods only.
Like... the familiar of a disciple. Aya isn't a god at all either. Some of her spellcards got god in their name but that's all. I mean, Chen got spellcards called Oni God and Remilia got spellcards called God Art, but that doesn't make them gods.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:09:41 PM by Anomander »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
Shou makes more sense than Aya, I have to say. At least she's the direct avatar of Bishamonten.

I don't think Byakuren is really suitable for a ToB school. She is, quite literally, a monk turned magician with a speciality in buffs.

Relevant:
Possessions
Sorcerer's Sutra Scroll
Created while Byakuren was in Makai, the Sorcerer's Sutra Scroll is unique to her. The sutras Byakuren needs in order to use her power are written on it. It has an automatic mode, which will cause it to recite spells on its own. Compared to a regular paper scroll, the amount the Sorcerer's Sutra Scroll holds is limitless. It is also said that this scroll won't deteriorate over time. Lastly, because it has a "will" of its own, no one except for Byakuren is able to handle it.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 08:43:36 PM »
Agreed, though the discipline's maneuvers spent on an avatar's spellcards could have instead been assigned to spellcards of actual gods.

The possibility of making the Buddhist discipline and developing Byakuren is a topic I really care not to discuss much until 13.5 is released. There is just no point to it.

Though I'll just note that the tobhou disciplines have a spellcaster transition mechanic implemented in them, and it is not without precedent, like Alice's puppet discipline.

The Sorcerer's Sutra Scroll is some kind of Buddhist artefact that could likely also hold martial scripts. Its a piece of equipment. Doesn't change much though it perhaps could give a concept on how her discipline's maneuvers and stances could be executed.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »
Nope, the scroll is something she made in Makai. No artefact, here, it was literally made in Hell (Touhou has too many hells. It's somewhat annoying).

The scroll she carries (called the Sorcerer's Sutra Scroll) contains the sutras she needs to use her abilities. By saying "contains", it does not mean the sutras are written on paper, but the scroll itself is made purely of these incantations(*4).

Because of that, it is lighter than a paper scroll and the amount of content it can contain is almost infinite. Moreover, it is reputed that it does not deteriorate with time. It even comes equipped with an auto-chanting mode; simply wave it over your head and it will recite spells on its own, apparently.

It is said that she made it to while away the free time she had while sealed in Makai. Many of the materials found in Makai contain their own will. Sorcerer's Sutra Scroll also has its own will, meaning other people are unable to handle it. In Gensokyo, such items are called "cursed". Therefore, the Sorcerer's Sutra Scroll is cursed(*5).

Neither does much of her power stem from Buddhist stuff, at least not any more:

Although she entered priesthood, for some reason she is beloved by youkai. She does not banish demons with holy incantations like in fairy tales. Although she acts like a saint, the powers she wields are evil. Though never seen as hostile towards humans, ultimately, she's an ally of the youkai.

Her magic is derived from her mastery of Buddhism. However, she's strayed from the path of Mahayana Buddhism (*3) and possesses demonic power. Most likely she won't be able to enter Nirvana.

The possibility of making a Buddhist discipline is effectively nil without warping the things used as a basis, because the one person to draw any power from it also uses straightforward black magic. Neither Kyoko or Ichirin use anything more than their natural abilities.  :rolleyes

Byakuren discipline seems weird (Alice at least has the benefit of using physical objects, and it's not like the discipline includes anything she can do with that Grimoire) but at least more plausible than a Buddhist one. XD
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:57:32 PM by Raineh Daze »