Author Topic: Handbook of the Exotic Practice of Feat Binding Discussion thread  (Read 31253 times)

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
Re: Handbook of the Exotic Practice of Feat Binding Discussion thread
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 03:31:56 PM »
Gain benefit of feat

Far Shot
Bow of Elvenkind (14,700gp, CC-137); +1 composite longbow, automatically adjusts to Str of any elf who uses it; more for clerics of Corellon Larethian); if used with arrows from a Quiver of Elvenkind (DMG), gain the benefit of the Far Shot Feat

Duplicate feat

Empower Spell
Rod of Fury (CAr-145) 1/day, spell of 6th level or lower; also gives deflection bonus to AC; price varies based on AC bonus: 26,800 gp (+1), 38,800 gp (+2), 58,800 gp (+3), 77,600 gp (+4), 95,600 gp (+5).

Quicken Spell 215gp cost
Aurial Sapphire (CC-131); air domain or spell with air descriptor only; used as optional material component

Quicken Spell 225gp cost
Pearl of the Waves (CC-132); water domain or spell with water water descriptor only; used as optional material component

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:35:58 PM by kitep »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
The rod of fury's 1/day empower looks like it costs 22.8k on its own. The prices make perfect sense if you treat the price multiplier on the cheaper of any additional effects in an item as x2 instead of x1.5.

26,800 - 2x  2,000 = 22,800
38,800 - 2x  8,000 = 22,800
58,800 - 2x18,000 = 22,800
(77,600 - 32,000)/2 = 22,800
(95,600 - 50,000)/2 = 22,800

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 05:12:06 PM »
That makes sense.  I couldn't figure it out myself.

And the pricing seems ok, when you compare it against a metamagic rod @ 6th level, which costs 32,500gp for 3/dy.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »
Item that Gives Feat

Improved Counterspelling 132,000gp cost
Rod of Reversal (CDiv-100); also turn next nine levels of spells like Spell Turning; requires True Believer feat or sacrifice 8th-level divine spell slot

Spell that gives feat

Spring Attack
Divine Agility (CDiv-162); dur 1r/lvl

Item that Duplicates Feats

Maximize Spell 33,600gp cost
Gauntlets of the Blood-Lord (CDiv-97); touch spells only; also grant +4 luck bonus to-hit on touch attacks; requires True Believer Feat or 6th-level divine spell slot

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »
Good stuff Kitep.

Quote from: ~ftm3/JHtB
    Most of the deconstruction of item costs to extract the price for feats is straightforward by following the cost tables. By looking at several items I determined (with reasonable confidence, I think) that WotC figures the cost for a single save bonus (such as Reflex) is 1/3 the cost of a resistance bonus to all three saves. (When added to an item with other features, such as a granted feat, remember the 1.5x cost multiplier for an additional property.)

Hey, PLZ and Bastian have that massive cost reduction thread over here,
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1000

So even if a "deconstructed" price can't be figured out ...
Personally I like it, but iirc there was some debate a long time ago, against deconstruction.
Of course this becomes a triple scoop of CO ice cream.
 :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:27:30 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 12:45:46 AM »
awesome suggestions, corrections, and recommendations, everyone. thank you. i do not have time to edit tonight, but i will be back at it.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
You have a very big space between section headings and the following text.  Pweath remove this.

Also, bold all item names, like Metamagic rods.

And what do you mean by "Binding" feats?  Did you mean "Buying?"

Still quite handy!

Offline Thurbane

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 3.5 fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 09:16:18 PM »
Gain benefit of feat

Danger Sense
Ring of Anticipation (DotU, 8000gp); allows you to roll twice for Initiative and take the best result - unlike the feat (1/day), this functions continuously.

Extra Spell
Knowstones (Dragon #333, spell level squared * 1000gp) add an additional spell known to spontaneous casters with a limited Spells Known list (Sorcerer, Bard, Favored Soul etc.)

Ring of Anticipation (Drow of the Underdark) gives a vastly superior version of the Danger Sense (MH/CAd) feat (ring is continuous, all day long; the feat is 1/day).

Also, Knowstones (Dragon, not sure of issue #) are basically Extra Spell for a spontaneous caster.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:13:46 PM by Thurbane »

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 09:57:11 PM »
See also here.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 10:14:40 PM »
Some more:

Grants Feat

Improved Sunder (Breaking Blade, 18,310gp, AEG-103) +2 halberd; does double damage against simple and martial reach weapons

Ambidexterity (a 3.0-only feat) and Two-Weapon Fighting (Rod of Seven Parts, artifact, AEG-154) only when wielding 6 or 7 parts of the rod

Grants benefit of:

Deflect Arrows (Arrowdeath Flail, 33,690gp, AEG-99) +2/+1 dire flail; weilder can deflect projectiles and thrown weapons as if she had the Deflect Arrows feat; when taking total defense action, grants an additional +2 deflection AC to ranged weapon attacks only

Two-Weapon Fighting (Rod of Flailing, 50,000gp, DMG-235) +3 dire flail; 1/day get +4 deflection AC and +4 resistance saves for 10 minutes

Augment Summoning (Deep Hollow Circle, 50,000gp, Races of Stone-168) dwarf or gnome only (or UMD DC25 to emulate race); also summons additional Earth sub-type creature

Quicken Spell (Dwarfheim Circle, 50,000gp, Races of Stone-168) dwarf only (or UMD DC25 to emulate race); works on spontaneous spells as well; also works on spell-like abilities

Maximize Spell (Healing Circle, 50,000gp, Races of Stone-169) Conjuration (healing) spells only

Duplicate Feats:

Improved Crit - Impact (MIC-37) +1 weapon bonus, doubles threat range on bludgeoning weapon (ie Keen for bludgeon)

Empowered Spellshard (MIC-96); acts like Empower Spell on a specific spell; 3x/day; cost: 1500gp (1st level spell), 3000gp (2nd level spell), 6000gp (3rd level spell)

Deflect Arrow (Buckler, Beetle, AEG-14) Beetle blocks ranged attacks as the Deflect Arrows feat, but uses the beetle's reflex save(+6) not your own; must be worn for a day before it works.

Improved Disarm (Disarmor Armor, 10,875gp, AEG-94) 3/day, when opponent scores a melee hit, wearer can attempt a disarm with a +5 bonus; +2 scale mail (subtract cost of +2 scale mail (4,200gp), and 3/dy improved disarm costs 6,675gp)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 10:52:12 AM »
Illusion Bane (+1 weapon enhancement) lets you ignore concealment effects from illusion spells (a la Pierce Magical Concealment).
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 11:33:36 PM »
A couple more from BOED & BOVD

Gains feat

Spell Focus (Good), Gift of Faith, Nimbus of Light, and Word of Creation feats - Regalia of Good, artifacts, BOED-119 - must possess 2 out of 3 items

Lichloved, Dark Speech, Evil Brand, Verminfriend - Regalia of Evil, artifacts, BOVD-122 - must possess 2 out of 3 items

Give benefits

Endurance - Second Wind spell (BOED-106) dur 1hr/lvl

Dark Speech - Elixir of the Dark Speech, 750gp, BOVD-114
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:35:15 PM by kitep »

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 01:18:58 AM »
Updated main thread with material through "reply #17", except for the domain draughts, which are next to be added. Anyone recall if domain abilities grant feat, grant benefit, or other wording, by chance?

Also noticed the request for better formatting. How are the results so far? I added lists wherever there is more than one item under a given feat. Suggestions?

And thank you for all the posts! I may be slow, but I will get through all the additions.

and in answer to the question i caught as i skimmed all the additions: the main title is a play on the term feet binding, or foot binding... a practice of questionable merits. but it is mainly a simple eye catching pun. ^^

as background, i actually started this thread as a result of trying to help a friend of mine with whom i have an ongoing debate concerning which is better, a tempest or a dervish... we have decided to have a contest adjudicated by a third party and are building characters to take our argument of tempest vs dervish into the arena of mortal character combat to settle our differences. he was rather feat starved in his build, so i was looking up ways to get around it for him. and then i thought that the resulting list of how to get feats i was making would be great reference material for everyone, and here we all are.   :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:28:52 AM by nijineko »

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 11:43:25 AM »
Anyone recall if domain abilities grant feat, grant benefit, or other wording, by chance?

They're bonus feats.  At least the ones in the SpC.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »
someone please quote me the dark chaos shuffle? i do not have that source.

Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle, aka DCFS

It depends on 2 spells in the Fiendish Codex 1 - Hordes of the Abyss

Embrace the Dark Chaos (Fiendish Codex 1 - pg 92) - replace 1 feat you know with an Abyssal heritor feat - Cleric 8, Wiz 8, 250 xp, instantaneous

Shun the Dark Chaos (Fiendish Codex 1 - pg 95) - replace 1 Abyssal heritor feat with any other feat you qualify for - Cleric 8, Wiz 8, 250 xp, instantaneous

So you embrace, then shun, and voila!, you've shuffled one feat for another.  It also involves gaining "taint" (toward Chaos, not evil), which may or may not be important in a campaign.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:16:21 AM by kitep »

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 12:41:52 AM »
Not really.  Your alignment only shifts if you have 2 Abyssal Heritor feats (unless you take the Ordered Chaos feat)
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »
Saw this in another thread

Quote from: Matt Mons
Manual of the winding way (Dungeon 117, p78) can permanently give dodge, mobility, or spring attack to the reader, but it's an artifact.

Can it be added to the handbook?

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 05:23:18 PM »
Saw this in another thread

Quote from: Matt Mons
Manual of the winding way (Dungeon 117, p78) can permanently give dodge, mobility, or spring attack to the reader, but it's an artifact.

Can it be added to the handbook?

updated handbook with entries through post 19, plus requested item above.

also spent a few hours attempting to clean up and harmonize entry style. well... at least it looks a lot better now.

^^

for those who are curious, and at least one commented about it above, the title is an intentional pun on the practice of feet binding - an example of the extreme lengths to which real life optimizers will go to achieve an effect.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:25:29 PM by nijineko »

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 09:15:07 PM »
Soul Tick from Fiend Folio automatically empowers all your evil spells. Touch of the Blackened Soul from Dragon Magic makes all your spells evil for 3 rounds. And has a duration of personal.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »
Serpent Armor got updated in MIC to be +1 leather armor with a +1 resistance bonus on Reflex saves for 12,160gp.  Combat Reflexes is still granted.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."