Author Topic: Question about freed spawn  (Read 2515 times)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
Question about freed spawn
« on: August 31, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »
The sidebar on page 75 of savage species makes no sense to me. Here is the relevant parts of the sidebar(If I am not allowed to type in here than please tell me and I will remove it).

"If an undead spawn's creator is destroyed, the spawn is no longer controlled by that creature. If the freed spawn was a player character when alive, it can now adventure like a character with an ECL equivalent to the creator's. For instance, a freed ghoul spawn has an ECL of 5, and a freed shadow spawn's ECL is 10...

... A freed spawn can gain experience points through adventuring, adding them to the XP total the character had when alive. When it becomes eligible to advance a level, it can add class levels as normal or pursue the emancipated spawn prestige class..."

Does this mean that I can play a monster that doesn't have an LA as long as its an undead spawn? It also says that a freed spawn has the same ECL as its creator but as far as I can see a shadow has an ECL of 3 (3 hit dice and no LA) not 10. Could someone help clear this up for me?

Thanks in advance  :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:27:57 PM by 123456789blaaa »
Please, call me Count :).

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
Re: Question about freed spawn
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:51:58 PM »
Actually Shadow has level adjustment - which means that is not suitable for Player characters......
The problem is that Savage species was publised before 3.5 and still has Shadow as a level adjustment=7(see savage species page 194).......

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:15:59 PM »
Actually Shadow has level adjustment - which means that is not suitable for Player characters......
The problem is that Savage species was publised before 3.5 and still has Shadow as a level adjustment=7(see savage species page 194).......

Oooh... that explains it. Thanks! :D

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: Question about freed spawn (Answered)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 10:17:38 PM »
Here's the thing, though; that sidebar is a specific ruling.

Specific trumps general.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Question about freed spawn (Answered)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 10:34:15 PM »
Here's the thing, though; that sidebar is a specific ruling.

Specific trumps general.

Wait, so does that mean I can play a monster that doesn't have an LA as long as its an undead spawn?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 10:46:43 PM »
Why else would Emancipated Spawn exist? It has no real use for a DM, because they can just, you know, give their monsters levels in a class.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 01:49:17 AM »
Notice that I didn't actually said anything about the Enabcipated Spawn class.....

I only answered the LA issue....

Well the problem with savage species is that it is a weird 3.25 edition,and I don't know how your dm will intrerpet many of its options......

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 07:47:47 AM »
Why else would Emancipated Spawn exist? It has no real use for a DM, because they can just, you know, give their monsters levels in a class.

Well yes... I suppose it just seemed really wierd to be able to play a monster with LA - (of course since i found out that shadow's did have an LA in savage species that point is kind of moot...). Forsaken shell here I come! :love.