Author Topic: Interest Check-Blood Crusade against Thoon (3.X, high level, Evil)  (Read 71168 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check-Blood Crusade against Thoon (3.X, high level, Evil)
« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2014, 10:17:46 AM »
I'm fine with starting at whichever.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
Orcus just shed a tear of pride. That's made of acidic toxic lava.
That sounds pretty cool actually.

A poisonous tear attack with Venomfire & Dragonfire Inspiration. You take Acid/Fire damage and need to Save against Wisdom damage as your feelings being hurt, by biowarfare. :D

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 03, 2014, 12:56:12 PM »
Are there rules anywhere for making/buying magic items with a higher caster level than normal?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 03, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »
Are there rules anywhere for making/buying magic items with a higher caster level than normal?
Hmm, sort of?

DMG lists their prices for high CLs and other types of items (sic schemas) do as well, and it's canonical that higher CL items are generated as loot, Creation rules say it takes on the CL of it's crafter and you can Metamagic it, and so on. But even with all of that I don't know if anything specifically says you can buy advanced CL items or if that's just a combination of logical conclusion and expatiation of the MiC's find-anything-you-want.

To avoid the philosophical debate;
Which brings up another question... I have to have made my Cerulean Sign... how do you want to deal with that, oslecamo?
Just pay market price for it, start at 20th level, and just say I "made" it?
Or start at 19th level (4,000 xp shy of 20th; or 5,000 xp if it's simultaneously a Cloak of Resistance +5), and only pay half price for it?
Pay the market price and say you made it.
You can always create a back story about how you "made" it.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 03, 2014, 03:48:37 PM »
Hmm, okay.  I'm thinking about buying a Hat of Anonymity but the really low CL of the Non-detection on it makes it pretty worthless so I want to bump that up.

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 03, 2014, 04:43:32 PM »
So even though the game's full, I have been awash with bad character ideas.

Mind Flayer Satan: Larval Flayer 1/Neothelid 14/Balor 5
"This Isn't Even My Final Form!": Doppelganger 3/Greater Doppelganger 9/Warshaper 5/Half-Fiend 3
"Get off my lawn, Cephalopods!": Aboleth 7/Fiendish Creature 2/Sorcerer 1/Wilder 1/Cerebremancer 9
"Still better than Athas.": Halfling Psychic Warrior 6/Tribal Psionicist 5/Plane Shifter 9
Doltough, Abyssal Prospector: Dabus 2/Jovoc 5/Master 10/Exemplar 3
Kaptin Skurvy: Marraenoloth 10/Dread Pirate 10
Steve, out-of-work attorney of the 9 Hells: Harvester Devil 7/Fiend of Corruption 6/Rogue 7
Chirrlaxx the Protofiend, Dark Lord of Darkness: Lemure 1/Darklight Wizard 1 (formerly Pit Fiend 20/Max Levels in Every Base Class)
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
Hmm, okay.  I'm thinking about buying a Hat of Anonymity but the really low CL of the Non-detection on it makes it pretty worthless so I want to bump that up.

The cost given in the MIC is much lower than what it would be were you making a custom magic item according to the rules in the SRD. If you made it yourself, it would be something like 33750 gp instead of the 12500 in the MIC. So if I were to break it down, it seems like they flatly stacked the cost of the +5 to Hide (2500) onto 1/3 the cost of the continuous non detection effect (CL 5 x spell level 3 x 2000 gp). An easy way to bump up the CL would be to plug it into the above formula (so CL 20 would be about 69166 gp, give or take). However, given how nonstandard the pricing is, there's no official way to break down the cost.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:51:54 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2014, 06:20:41 PM »

The cost given in the MIC is much lower than what it would be were you making a custom magic item according to the rules in the SRD. If you made it yourself, it would be something like 33750 gp instead of the 12500 in the MIC. So if I were to break it down, it seems like they flatly stacked the cost of the +5 to Hide (2500) onto 1/3 the cost of the continuous non detection effect (CL 5 x spell level 3 x 2000 gp). An easy way to bump up the CL would be to plug it into the above formula (so CL 20 would be about 69166 gp, give or take). However, given how nonstandard the pricing is, there's no official way to break down the pricing.

That puts it outside my price range so I guess I should just look for something else anyway.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 03, 2014, 08:09:10 PM »
That puts it outside my price range so I guess I should just look for something else anyway.
If Ols is allowing partial wands you're set.

@CL40 it costs 1,800gp for 3 days & 18 hours of coverage. My Nonedetection is only CL11 sadly so don't feel bad.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 04, 2014, 12:42:34 AM »
I'm very close to being finished with my sheet. I've got some more funds available to spend (and some nit-picking over what's necessary and what else might be better/more useful) and I need to double over everything and make sure all the numbers add up right, but it's almost all completed. The sheet on page 7 is not the most up-to-date version, however.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 04, 2014, 12:12:25 PM »
Whenever the new board goes up and we get a character sheet thread I'm planning on looking through everybody else's gear lists for ideas.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2014, 12:38:53 PM »
Mine boils down to use Schemas!

I'm actually wearing more gear than I wanted but all well.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #272 on: December 04, 2014, 03:42:51 PM »
The gate to the blood board has opened! Infernal agents should answer their summons there!