Author Topic: Teasers out for Legend!  (Read 11075 times)

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
Re: Teasers out for Legend!
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 03:46:48 PM »
Apparently Reddit has a "create a track" contest for Legend going on now.  Neat.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 10:07:34 AM »
I swear I had an idea similar to the 3 track progression before. Also, lol at Vigilante track.

It says that monsters should usually have Full Buy-in so you don't need to give them magic items, but why not just say that their items are body parts, and need processing before use? Eg. that displacer beast's pelt is a cloak of displacement, but you need to skin the thing before you can use it yourself. Similarly, dragons "wear" dragonscale armor.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:10:35 AM by Prime32 »

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »
I swear I had an idea similar to the 3 track progression before. Also, lol at Vigilante track.

It says that monsters should usually have Full Buy-in so you don't need to give them magic items, but why not just say that their items are body parts, and need processing before use? Eg. that displacer beast's pelt is a cloak of displacement, but you need to skin the thing before you can use it yourself. Similarly, dragons "wear" dragonscale armor.
Generally, Legend appears to handle treasure and magic items significantly differently than 3.5e or most other systems with which I'm familiar.  Specifically, it assumes characters get sufficient WBL and magic/abilities as a function of level, rather than as a function of treasure and adventuring.  The merits of this method include removing character wealth from the whims of the GM, and functionally eliminating the nearly obligatory "shopping sessions" that crop up in some campaigns (or the email accountancy that takes the place of the shopping sessions) when adventurers return to town from a long quest.  The drawback, from a typical 3.5e mindset, is that your character's flexibility in liquid assets and items is almost nil, and is tied much more firmly to the track choices you've made.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 02:41:35 PM »

You know, something I already did here and there in 3.X was giving gear to monsters/NPCs in the form of special body parts, like mystic tattos or attached gems, which could then be sold for an amount of money equivalent to the gear to the right person. But your idea there sounds even better, with the monster basic body parts being gear that just needs a little refinement for the players to use!

Sadly, like InnaBinder pointed out, here there's basically no distinction between gear and class features. Looting of any kind is useless. You could go ahead and pillage the alchemist's guild, and you still wouldn't be able to use anything if you didn't have the right class ability.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 04:22:05 AM »
A few things --

Looting in Legend gives you a lot more versatility, but not the same increase in power as in other games. You can swap which items you use, but you are, ultimately, limited to using a certain number of items. But that's also part of the flavor of the game rather than simply being a mechanical construct. Each person (or monster, rawr!) has a certain number of "bindings." They work kind of like chakras to use Incarnum as an analog. So that magical item is occupying a part of your total capacity for handling magic.

And there are some games that don't even try to fluff that (and some are better than others). Diablo II, which is a GREAT game, just says, "here's your paper doll, equip things." Why can you only use two rings? Why only one amulet? It's never explained, but players accept it. The game requires a certain amount of buy-in to start having fun by doing the thing that's important: killing baddies and switching out your current loot for different loot.

Now, whether Legend's "item game" works as well as Diablo's, I don't really know. I haven't sat down to play Legend yet (soon! waiting for that game to start!). But certainly looting isn't wholly purposeless. I think that's what my point was. Hahaha.

The other thing, more of a status update on this whole thread -- holy crap, Legend is up to over $9600 raised for the charity! At $10,000 the staff commits to making a campaign setting based on Sherlock Holmes, Demonslayer too, which sounds ridiculous enough to work (is "Sherlock Holmes, Demonslayer" a 'thing'? Like, did someone write a parody book?).
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »
The other thing, more of a status update on this whole thread -- holy crap, Legend is up to over $9600 raised for the charity! At $10,000 the staff commits to making a campaign setting based on Sherlock Holmes, Demonslayer too, which sounds ridiculous enough to work (is "Sherlock Holmes, Demonslayer" a 'thing'? Like, did someone write a parody book?).
There's probably some Japanese series which used that concept with different names, ran out of ideas for using detective skills in combat, eventually stopped focusing on detective skills in favor of demonslaying, and ended up either aborted or with a rushed ending.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 06:24:10 PM »
$10k barrier breached.  The setting is in the works.   :D

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 11:46:58 PM »
There's probably some Japanese series which used that concept with different names, ran out of ideas for using detective skills in combat, eventually stopped focusing on detective skills in favor of demonslaying, and ended up either aborted or with a rushed ending.
Or, just possibly, they were thinking of A Study in Emerald.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 05:04:06 PM »
I'm not sure if this should be a new thread at this point, but the first major module is out called Osaka Street Stories: http://www.ruleofcool.com/

It's a lot like a beat-em-up (set in the streets of Japan, of course), with yakuza and dirty cops and assassins and all sorts of colorful things you might expect to fight walking down the street -- Streets of Rage, anyone?
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 07:52:08 PM »
Can someone explain to me the appeal of LoL when Dota/Dota2 exist?

DOTA has no support for rage quitters, has a much smaller user base and is graphically inferior, also it's a much slower paced game, with different mechanics that generate passive gameplay, such as denying towers and kills, and loss of gold on death. It only has one game mode, and no support for new mechanics such as those found on League of Legends, such as Masteries and Rune Pages. DOTA2 has addressed many of those issues, but it's new and doesn't still have the same userbase or support League of Legends does. LoL is a game that's constantly reinventing itself, has an active community and the guys behind it really are pushing to make it the best game ever. It's no wonder it's pushing to be the most played game in the world... It's not for everyone, i agree, but the differences between DOTA/DOTA2/HON/LOL are there.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life