Author Topic: How to make the ultimate Adventurer's League character?  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
How to make the ultimate Adventurer's League character?
« on: October 24, 2014, 11:43:50 PM »
Greetings, all!

Adventurers' League material is here.  I was pondering a Bard/Warlock multiclass, tentatively Bard1/Warlock2/Bard (Lore)+17.

I was going for Lightfoot Halfling (+2 DEX/+1 CHA, reroll all d20 results of natural 1s once, benefits when hiding) and then I saw the Adventurers' League (AL) rules which state that Feat Humans are in and feats are kosher!

My reason for this build was simple:  Build a spiffy sneaky caster who can do every job (tank, heal, sneak, cast, persuade) at least competently, though not necessarily at the same time.  The idea of a stealth-focused caster appealed to me, since a high Stealth check makes me effectively invisible without casting a spell, and I can remain hidden while doing things that don't require accuracy rolls, like cast healing word or sleep.

Additionally, while soloing this game is probably very out of the question (since this isn't Morrowind or 3.5/Pathfinder), I still want to be fairly "self sufficient" in part due to the seeming unreliability of consistent party members.

From those who are knowledgeable about what's going on (especially those who have played AL games), what do you advise?

The Build v1: Korthai the True Neutral Lightfoot Halfling Bard1
Stats
8 STR/16 DEX/14 CON/8 INT/12 WIS/16 CHA

Chosen due to DEX, CON, and CHA being the highest priorities.  I chose to make everything I could an even stat to start due to maximizing my ability score modifiers.

Also, due to ability scores normally being capped at 20, having a higher DEX for everything it entails (DEX saves, AC, initiative, weapon accuracy & damage, DEX checks...) may just be a higher priority than CHA for this character.  Whatchya think?

Desired Adventurers' League Faction
Zhentarim.

After reading their goals and beliefs, I realized we align way too much to avoid going this route.

Background
Criminal (Fence)

Chosen due to Deception and Stealth being trained skills, the bonus dice and thief tools, and the possibility of the contacts leading me to magic items.  Also fits with my desired faction.

Trained Skills
Background: Deception, Stealth
Bard: Perception, Persuasion, Religion

Religion chosen to justify my idea of using the silent image spell to mimic ghosts and incorporeal creatures.  If this is not viable, I'm taking suggestions!  (Acrobatics seems like a suitable substitute due to it seeming useful.)

Trained Tools
Background: Dice, Thief Tools
Bard: Drums/Percussion, Maracas, Voice

My goal is to combine the arcane focuses of a musical instrument (Bard) and a wand (Warlock) to strap to my arm via leather straps so I can minimize the amount of item switching, and maximize the amount of free hands I have.  I may be able to persuade others that a snake is nearby due to the maraca.

Trained Saves
Bard: DEX, CHA

Spells Known by Level (Bard)
0: Blade Ward, Minor Illusion

1: Healing Ward, Heroism, Silent Image, Sleep

Blade ward just seems like the most useful cantrip to have in case I have to suddenly tank or take a defensive action against weapon users.  Minor illusion is effectively a slightly better version of 3.5's ghost sound, and with my CHA and persuasive skills as they are, I should be able to convince minions that their commander yelled, "Retreat!" or make noises in certain parts of the room/hall to distract foes.

Healing ward versus cure wouonds was an initially tough choice for me.  Healing word won out due to it being 60' range, which means I don't need to provoke AoO to reach someone.  Heroism seemed like a spiffy "let's help the tank who might be me" buff.  Silent image is debatably the most powerful level 1 spell in all of 3.5 if your GM let you get creative with it.  Sleep is just... sleep.  It's rockin' at level 1 but will likely change to another spell once I level up.

Proposed Warlock Spells Once I Get There
0: Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand

1: Charm Person, Protection from Evil and Good, Expeditious Retreat

Proposed Warlock Invocations Once I Get There
Agonizing Blast, Devil's Sight OR Misty Visions OR Repelling Blast

Cantrip-wise, I chose Eldritch Blast due to it being an iconic, handy Warlock ability.  I get a free magical ranged attack at will that scales with level!  Woot!  That's also why I chose Agonizing Blast, to add 3 to 5 damage (via CHA) to each hit.  Mage hand was simply the most useful (and non-redundant) ability I could get at this point.

For level 1s, I took charm person because I've seen what it can do in 3.5.  Protection from evil and good just seems too good to pass up, and there's not much else that seems spiffy for me.  Expeditious retreat is spiffy for getting away or getting into position.  I'm not convinced the other Warlock level 1s are better, but, hey, I'm open to suggestions!

I chose the Warlock invocations I did due to extra damage (Agonizing Blast) and not being sure what the campaign would hold.  How useful is 120' mundane and magical darkvision?  How useful is silent image at will?  How useful is a 10' knockback on my Eldritch Blast spam?

Weapons and Armor
A rapier to start seems wonderful due to it dealing d8+DEX mod damage and using DEX for accuracy.

I'm not proficient with shields; otherwise, I'd be all over one of those!

Studded leather armor seems best for me due to me starting with 15 AC with this setup.

Feats
Feats... look... so... delicious!  I'm not sure how to prioritize them!  These are my top candidates, and seemingly good reasons to go Human instead of Halfling.

(On a side note, 5e's feats seem inspired by 3.5's tactical feats, which each had 3 applications.)

-Alert.  I gushed over this feat the first time I saw it.  It's better than 3.5's Improved Initiative (which was a 'mere' +4 initiative) and makes 3.5's Alertness look like a joke!  Ahem.  5e's Alert feat grants +5 initiative and immunity to surprise and negates advantage on accuracy rolls against me due to them being hidden!  I cannot think of a better feat to grab ASAP!

-Lucky.  It's effectively reroll 3 d20s per day.  These d20 rolls could be attacks against me, or seemingly any d20 roll I make - like for skills, attacks, or saves.  Lucky is nowhere near as powerful as Alert, but still handy.

-Magic Initiate.  Oh, goody - more options!  The cantrips are probably trivial considering the others I plan to get, but grease may just be worth it. Grease was 3.5's way of saying, "Level 1 Wizards and Bards, you're relevant!" and was my group's favorite level 1 arcane spell for years.  Considering it doesn't require Concentration and doesn't break Stealth, it may just be very, very delicious for a Charisma caster like me!

-Observant.  It's +5 to my passive Perception and Intelligence (Investigation) checks and +1 INT or WIS.  I can also read lips.  I'm not convinced this is worth it, but may be good if we very much need a much higher passive Perception check.  I feel inclined to take +2 to a stat ahead of this.

-War Caster.  Getting advantage on CON saves when concentrating, as well as being able to cast a single target spell as an AoO, and be able to cast while carrying weapons and shields?  Seems good, but Alert seems to keep me alive.  I've heard this is the first feat all casters should take, but sell me on this.

+2 Stat: Not technically a feat, but can be taken in place of one at certain class levels.  Maxing my CHA or DEX is probably wise - after I have the feats I want.

Other Issues
I wanted to buy a mule to bring with me.  It can carry my stuff and attack.  How does this work in AL?

Finally
Thank you all (preemptively) for your suggestions and helpful input!  Even just saying, "It all looks right," helps - if indeed it looks right to you!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:49:39 PM by Endarire »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: How to make the ultimate Adventurer's League character?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 02:22:31 PM »
Niice.
Warlock 1 / Sleep caster class 1 = 1 sleep per encounter, and that's even with the MOST conservative interpretation of Pact Magic and multiclassing.

mellored has a Bard guide, back at wotc.  He's good.  Lots of spell evals too.

Caelic spotted the Lightfoot Halfling + Skulker feat combo, very early on.
While there's still lots of confusion out there about Hiding in 5e, this combo puts it into the Lightly Obscured rules details.

I like Alert because you can use it every combat.
I didn't like Warcaster, 'cause I almost never used it.
But that's just most likely local table variation.
wotc semi-C.O. likes Warcaster a lot.

And Hex on warlocks.
Seems a designer has weighed in, that you can reassign
the target of the Hex, so that it lasts the whole hour (or more).

Yep, cantrips like Eldritch Blast, scale with character level, not class level.

But yeah, varHumans get feat stacks before anyone else.
I hold out hope that the Gnome spell save ditty, will compete with more MMs high level monsters.

Otherwise, get to 20 in Cha as soon as (if) possible.
And/or a Resilient in at least 1 of the 2 other big 3 saves (wis, dex, con).

Observant + Barb 6 Eagle = best Div in the game.
Warlock 2 with Devil's Sight, goes in next.
FightBM 7 tops it off.
('course this isn't what you're doing)

Backgrounds ... there's a customizing paragraph just before the first one.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 12:03:07 AM »
Devil's Sight looks spiffy.  (Pun, i know.)  How important does seeing in metaphysical darkness seem in this game?  What about normal Darkvision in general?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
(2 eaten posts = grrrr)

There's a short section on light, dim light and darkness.
Too short probably, especially in terms of hiding.
I don't think it matters yet about magical darkness,
however they put that in, so I'm assuming :whistle

... they'll have something for it sooner or later.
Like Krangaath the 4th level of Gehenna,
where you could turn the tables on Arcanaloths
and torture them for a change.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:05:54 PM »
I had my first adventure tonight and was extremely excited going in!  It was my first tabletop RPG gaming this year and I was impressed.

-We had a good group.  Our group got along well in and out of character.  They were friendly to the newbs of the table, understood the plot, and understood how to effectively follow along while keeping things interesting.

-Mechanically, we had a diverse and well-supporting group consisting of a Wood Elf Cleric (who wanted to be a Rastafarian and enjoyed speaking with animals), an Elf Fighter (who enjoyed archery, especially after she got a magic bow), two Lightfoot Halfling Rogues, a Lightfoot Halfling Bard (me), a Valor Bard of unknown race, and a Barbarian of unknown race. 

-We had a spiffy GM.  He was patient, kind, humble, and facilitating.  He also understood how to get and keep our attention and the game flowing.

-I was pleasantly surprised at the variety and quality of encounters and events in the module, Hoard of the Dragon Queen.  (I started in the part en route to Waterdeep from Baldur's Gate.)  My favorite part was when our party bought a merchant caravan from our convoy due to some distrust among the leadership toward certain other merchants in  our convoy.  We sold it at Daggerford for a significant profit!  This is the first time I've felt entrepeneurial in any RPGA game!  Alleluiah!

-Sleep rocks!  In the one combat encounter we had, we effectively nullified it in one round due to two Bards casting sleep.  Combined with a highly-buffed Barbarian, the 'boss' of the encounter soon became red paste.  He didn't last 2 rounds of fightin'.

-Bards rock!  Yes, I did my research and expected as such; however, seeing this in action warmed my heart.  While the Barbarian was the uber damage dealer (even calling himself 'broken' at one point), being useful in combat for crowd control, out of combat for healing, and in social situations for CHA-based skills made me feel like i picked the best class in the game!