Author Topic: The Path of Chaos - Tomm Swamp  (Read 38036 times)

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Chaos - Tomm Swamp
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2013, 11:42:56 PM »
"The tracks diverge."

Caerus sighs and looks back to Korgan.  He takes an arrow from his quiver and points to the hoof prints and then to the humanoid tracks.

"Figures the gnome would get lost." he mumbles.  His face suddenly brightens and he lets out a laugh.

"I can't wait to tell 'Sir Know-it-all' he's gone the wrong way!  Or was it 'Sir No-wit-at-all!' 

Composing himself, he continues.

"I suggest we find Nelio and then back track here.  The rangers are hours ahead of us already, another few minutes won't make a difference."

He sticks the arrow point first into the mud and spreads the feathers as wide as they will go.  After checking the arrow in the torchlight and committing that image to memory, he turns and resumes following the hoof marks.

"We can use that to find this place again."

Korgan lets out a thunderous laugh.  "No-wit-at-all!  I like that!"

He composes himself and continues, "If we must find him first...lead on Caerus."

Korgan scans the terrain to see if their laughter drew any attention

(click to show/hide)
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2013, 01:24:06 AM »
Korgan pauses a moment to make sure the coast is clear.  Thankfully, the din of the noisy swamp at night appears to have masked their presence; at least to those who rely on sound.  Confident of their security, Korgan follows in step with Caerus as his torch leads them through the gloom.

A few hours later, the pair emerge into a clearing just as the morning sun began to peer over the horizon.  There is a makeshift camp here, the tents looking very inviting after walking all night.  Five horses are tethered to a tree on the far side of the camp, and a Halfling in robes lies snoring on the ground near the fire.
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2013, 02:56:31 AM »
Caerus squats down near the campfire opposite the Halfling and removes his pack.  Digging through the assorted goods, he comes across the apple that Nelio had given him the prior morning.

Well at least he did something useful...

Caerus shifts around, lies back, and tosses his pack under his neck creating an awkward-looking pillow.  Closing his eyes he  takes a bite of the apple; then a second.  He chews and lets the heat from the fire wash over him.  He continues to eat the apple and rest his eyes, even as the sun threatens to rouse him.

No sense going to sleep, but a quick nap will help make the day bearable.
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2013, 09:49:38 AM »
Caerus squats down near the campfire opposite the Halfling and removes his pack.  Digging through the assorted goods, he comes across the apple that Nelio had given him the prior morning.

Well at least he did something useful...

Caerus shifts around, lies back, and tosses his pack under his neck creating an awkward-looking pillow.  Closing his eyes he  takes a bite of the apple; then a second.  He chews and lets the heat from the fire wash over him.  He continues to eat the apple and rest his eyes, even as the sun threatens to rouse him.

No sense going to sleep, but a quick nap will help make the day bearable.

Just as Caerus is finally about to drift off to sleep, a loud crash of what sounds like pots and pans falling on the ground emanates from one of the tents. Nelio comes bursting out the tent opening, armor half hanging off, helmet on sideways and sword drawn, posture looking like he's ready to pounce. When he sees the familiar form of the half-elf and the dwarf, he relaxes a bit and stands straight up, chest puffed out. Sheathing his sword, he walks over to them.

"I heard the crunching noises and thought someone or something had gotten to our halfling friend here." Nelio nudges the snoring halfling awake. "You were supposed to be on watch! Go ahead and rest in one of the tents, I'll take over."

Turning back to address a half-awake Caerus, "Good to see you decided to join us after all. You made very good time, especially considering you came on foot. The men are still resting after a long night. We'll discuss the plan after everyone has had a chance to recuperate."

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2013, 04:27:58 PM »

Just as Caerus is finally about to drift off to sleep, a loud crash of what sounds like pots and pans falling on the ground emanates from one of the tents. Nelio comes bursting out the tent opening, armor half hanging off, helmet on sideways and sword drawn, posture looking like he's ready to pounce. When he sees the familiar form of the half-elf and the dwarf, he relaxes a bit and stands straight up, chest puffed out. Sheathing his sword, he walks over to them.

"I heard the crunching noises and thought someone or something had gotten to our halfling friend here." Nelio nudges the snoring halfling awake. "You were supposed to be on watch! Go ahead and rest in one of the tents, I'll take over."

Turning back to address a half-awake Caerus, "Good to see you decided to join us after all. You made very good time, especially considering you came on foot. The men are still resting after a long night. We'll discuss the plan after everyone has had a chance to recuperate."

"...mmmggg..."

Caerus groans a the sudden outburst and squints his eyes in the morning sun.  His plan to humiliate the Gnome is lost in the sudden clamor.

"I'm not sure if you realized it, but the humanoid tracks diverged a couple hours back.  I marked the spot with an arrow so we could find it again so you should factor that in your plan.  By the way, three horses for you and the halflings, so I assume the remaining two are the other rangers'?"

Caerus sits up and gestures to the remaining horses as he reaches for his canteen and takes a drink.

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2013, 03:31:34 PM »

"...mmmggg..."

Caerus groans a the sudden outburst and squints his eyes in the morning sun.  His plan to humiliate the Gnome is lost in the sudden clamor.

"I'm not sure if you realized it, but the humanoid tracks diverged a couple hours back.  I marked the spot with an arrow so we could find it again so you should factor that in your plan.  By the way, three horses for you and the halflings, so I assume the remaining two are the other rangers'?"

Caerus sits up and gestures to the remaining horses as he reaches for his canteen and takes a drink.

Nelio glances over at the five horses tied to the tree and then back at Caerus.

"Five of us road north along the road. Me, the two halfling brothers, and two of the town's guardsmen. We realized when we arrived here that we must have lost the trail and that the two half-orc rangers likely either turned off or something happened to them. The guards that were supposed to be searching for Josah's boy were expected to be camping here, but as you can see, we are the only ones present. When the men have finished resting, I want to search this area for clues. See if Josah's son's search party had even made it this far and if there is any indication where they might have gone. Once we finish our search here, we can return south on the road to the point you marked. At that spot, I plan to send the two guardsmen back to Captain Smith to give him a report. If you're up to task this time, I want to follow the other set of tracks you found and investigate where they lead."

Nelio looks up at the sky to judge the sun's location on the horizon. "We'll start our sweep of the area in 2 hours, just before midday. Go ahead and get some more shut-eye."

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2013, 08:45:09 PM »

Nelio glances over at the five horses tied to the tree and then back at Caerus.

"Five of us road north along the road. Me, the two halfling brothers, and two of the town's guardsmen. We realized when we arrived here that we must have lost the trail and that the two half-orc rangers likely either turned off or something happened to them. The guards that were supposed to be searching for Josah's boy were expected to be camping here, but as you can see, we are the only ones present. When the men have finished resting, I want to search this area for clues. See if Josah's son's search party had even made it this far and if there is any indication where they might have gone. Once we finish our search here, we can return south on the road to the point you marked. At that spot, I plan to send the two guardsmen back to Captain Smith to give him a report. If you're up to task this time, I want to follow the other set of tracks you found and investigate where they lead."

Nelio looks up at the sky to judge the sun's location on the horizon. "We'll start our sweep of the area in 2 hours, just before midday. Go ahead and get some more shut-eye."

"I didn't realize the guards came with you but that sounds like a decent enough plan.  And, I found you.  In the darkNot knowing where you were.  So I'm pretty sure I can find a path that I marked.  While backtracking to a place I've been.  In the middle of the day."

Caerus speaks his last thought in short, choppy half-sentences to emphasize his point to Nelio.

"Wake me when you want to begin."

Caerus closes his eyes again and lies back on his pack.  He lets his mind drift off.

I'd lay five-to-one that a halfling wakes me first.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2013, 11:59:31 PM »
"I didn't realize the guards came with you but that sounds like a decent enough plan.  And, I found you.  In the darkNot knowing where you were.  So I'm pretty sure I can find a path that I marked.  While backtracking to a place I've been.  In the middle of the day."

Caerus speaks his last thought in short, choppy half-sentences to emphasize his point to Nelio.

"Wake me when you want to begin."

Caerus closes his eyes again and lies back on his pack.  He lets his mind drift off.

While the gnome and Caerus have their exchange, Korgan crosses the campsite and enters one of the tents.  I need to get some strength.  This is going to be an interesting day.  The dwarf chuckles to himself at the thought.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2013, 12:28:15 AM »

Caerus falls quickly and quietly into a deep sleep.  Some time later, he is roused not by a noise, but by the eerie feeling that he was being watched.  Taking care to open his eyes slowly, he finds the armored Halfling laying down with his face a mere arm's length from Caerus.  A Halfling arm's length.  As he sees you stirring, he says, "Oh good, you're awake.  From the sound of it the Dwarf is sleeping well.  It was hard to tell with you, you're so quiet.  Anyway, Shiny Pants is looking for you.  Says it's been two hours and we've looked long enough and since we can't find squat we should follow you somewhere."

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 12:58:21 AM »

Caerus falls quickly and quietly into a deep sleep.  Some time later, he is roused not by a noise, but by the eerie feeling that he was being watched.  Taking care to open his eyes slowly, he finds the armored Halfling laying down with his face a mere arm's length from Caerus.  A Halfling arm's length.  As he sees you stirring, he says, "Oh good, you're awake.  From the sound of it the Dwarf is sleeping well.  It was hard to tell with you, you're so quiet.  Anyway, Shiny Pants is looking for you.  Says it's been two hours and we've looked long enough and since we can't find squat we should follow you somewhere."

Caerus sits up and rubs his eyes.  The rest helped some but his head still twinges and he knows he's still quite tired.  He reaches back for his canteen again and takes a small sip. 

Looking for me?  I haven't moved...

Closing the canteen he mumbles.

"...and, someone owes me five..."

He shakes his head in an attempt to bring his senses around.  Looking up to the halfling, he says:

"Alright then, go wake Korgan and meet me by the edge of the clearing."

He stands up and futilely brushes at the dirt and mud caked on his pants and cloak.  After a second, he reaches down, picks up his sack and  walks to where he first entered the clearing.  When he reaches the southern tree line, he leans against a gnarled oak and calls back toward the camp.

"Sir Nelio, we should start from here.  Have the guards help you with the horses and let's get going while the weather is still good.  Another rain and the tracks could wash away."

He then rights himself and takes a couple paces into the woods, following the path he arrived on.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2013, 12:51:40 PM »

Caerus sits up and rubs his eyes.  The rest helped some but his head still twinges and he knows he's still quite tired.  He reaches back for his canteen again and takes a small sip. 

Looking for me?  I haven't moved...

Closing the canteen he mumbles.

"...and, someone owes me five..."

He shakes his head in an attempt to bring his senses around.  Looking up to the halfling, he says:

"Alright then, go wake Korgan and meet me by the edge of the clearing."

He stands up and futilely brushes at the dirt and mud caked on his pants and cloak.  After a second, he reaches down, picks up his sack and  walks to where he first entered the clearing.  When he reaches the southern tree line, he leans against a gnarled oak and calls back toward the camp.

"Sir Nelio, we should start from here.  Have the guards help you with the horses and let's get going while the weather is still good.  Another rain and the tracks could wash away."

He then rights himself and takes a couple paces into the woods, following the path he arrived on.

After packing all the belongings onto the horses, the guards help boost the halfings and Ser Nelio onto their mounts. They ride over to the edge of the clearing, where the path south starts and follow in behind the half-elf.

Nelio manages to zigzags his mount to the front of the party, stops, and turns around. He begins to somehow simultaneously address everyone yet also noone in particular.

"We have thoroughly searched the clearing, it does not seem that Josah's son's search party ever made it back to this spot to camp. Something must have gone amiss in the swamp. Everyone, make sure to be on high alert. We have an unknown enemy around us."

Gesturing with an open right hand pointed down the path, Nelio says to Caerus,  "Lead on, ranger."

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »
Caerus moves briskly, trying to make a much progress as possible before the afternoon storms arrive.  He pauses periodically to get his bearings and to make sure the rest of the group is still behind him.  He quickly resumes his trot though, following the hoof marks that led him here the previous night.  Occasionally he is forced to hurdle a fallen tree limb, but the path is significantly easier to follow during the day.  After a couple hours, he scans the area.

“Let’s see… Ah!  There it is!  That’s my arrow.”

He slows his pace and walks over to the marker, removing it from the ground with a swift pull.  He wipes off the tip while he waits for the others to catch up.  When they arrive a few seconds later, he points to the divergent tracks with the arrow.

“See, this is where the tracks separate.  We arrived from here…”

He traces an arc between the outpost and the camp.

“…and the Rangers must’ve gone this way.  I’d have to assume the ferry is this way as well.”

He points down the line of humanoid tracks that turn off perpendicular to their current course.

“I haven’t scouted this yet, so we’ll be traveling at a slower pace from here.”

He puts the arrow back in his quiver and begins walking on the new heading, keeping his eyes peeled for the ferry and any signs that the rangers passed this way.

Even if we don't find the rangers, the ferry should be easy enough to spot.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2013, 04:59:41 PM »
“See, this is where the tracks separate.  We arrived from here…”

He traces an arc between the outpost and the camp.

“…and the Rangers must’ve gone this way.  I’d have to assume the ferry is this way as well.”

At this statement, one of the guards interrupts: "Begging your pardon, ser, but we were at the ferry launch this morning.  The dock is small and hard to see, so I can understand how it was easily missed.  If the rangers went this way, they didn't reach the ferry."

(click to show/hide)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2013, 12:28:39 AM »

At this statement, one of the guards interrupts: "Begging your pardon, ser, but we were at the ferry launch this morning.  The dock is small and hard to see, so I can understand how it was easily missed.  If the rangers went this way, they didn't reach the ferry."

(click to show/hide)

"Ah, well clearly the rangers were never there."

Caerus pauses, puzzled.  What are they up to...

"Then what's in this direction?"

Caerus walks slowley down the new path, asking no one in particular.  He turns back and looks at the guards.

"I believe you two need to check in.  We'll follow this path."

Caerus' mind races as the he leaves the guards and leads the group deeper into the swamp.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2013, 01:22:43 AM »
Caerus pauses, puzzled.  What are they up to...

"Then what's in this direction?"

Caerus walks slowley down the new path, asking no one in particular.  He turns back and looks at the guards.

"I believe you two need to check in.  We'll follow this path."

Caerus' mind races as the he leaves the guards and leads the group deeper into the swamp.

One of the guards replies, "As far as we know, that way is just swamp.  There's nothing in this area we use except the ferry and this road we're standing on."

At the mention of checking in, the other guard says, "Yes, SIR!"  The two horsemen leave immediately, before anyone objects to their avoidance of swamp duty.

As Caerus follows the tracks into the swamp, he soon learns what he believes drew the two rangers' attention.  A second set of tracks can be seen here and there in the dryer patches of the ground.  Apparently, this other humanoid cares not for walking in and out of the water by the looks of the tracks.  The rangers must have seen or heard this mark and followed the tracks into the swamp, as Caerus sees the rangers tracks march in line with the stranger.

The further into the swamp you go, however, the more difficult the tracks are to follow as the watery sludge becomes more common than dry land.  Caerus reached a point where he thought he might lose the trail, had it not been for the rogue arrow lodged in a tree in the distance.  From Caerus' point of view, he could have fired that arrow from his own position.  The arrow lies in the distance beyond a murky pool.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2013, 01:45:38 AM »
Upon seeing the arrow, Caerus halts in his tracks and draws his bow.

Whatever they were shooting at could still be around.

He turns back to the group and beckons to them with his hand.  He then raises his index finger to his lips.  He turns slowly and methodically steps toward the pool, trying to avoid making any unnecessary noise.  As he cautiously approaches the pool, his eyes dart about looking for any signs of the rangers or their prey.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:51:40 AM by NasT »

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2013, 02:25:28 AM »

He turns back to the group and beckons to them with his hand.  He then raises his index finger to his lips.  He turns slowly and methodically steps toward the pool, trying to avoid making any unnecessary noise.  As he cautiously approaches the pool, his eyes dart about looking for any signs of the rangers or their prey.

(click to show/hide)

Following Caerus' lead, Korgan holds his position and surveys the area.  With axe and shield in hand, he's ready to defend himself against any threat.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2013, 12:21:19 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Following Caerus' lead, Korgan holds his position and surveys the area.  With axe and shield in hand, he's ready to defend himself against any threat.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Not really sure what Caerus and Korgan are doing exactly, but curious as to what they may be trying to look at, Nelio also scans the area and listens for signs of trouble.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2013, 12:49:08 PM »
As the party scans the gloom, Caerus notices a vaguely human silhouette in the distance near the rogue arrow.  The mist prevalent in the area prevents him from discerning any fine details, but Caerus is certain he saw it move much as a humanoid would.

The Halflings, seeing Caerus' call for stealth, attempt to dismount in the quietest way possible.  If they need to be quiet, then there is obviously a chance for points to be earned.  The armored Halfling deftly slides off the horse to a soft patch of earth nearby.  The spellcaster attempts to do the same, but misjudges the distance and ends up falling feet first into the murky pool with an audible SPLASH.

At the sound, the silhouette turns its head toward the noise and says (in Common), "Hello?!?  Hello!  Help!"  The voice appears to be that of a young boy.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2013, 02:51:16 PM »
As the party scans the gloom, Caerus notices a vaguely human silhouette in the distance near the rogue arrow.  The mist prevalent in the area prevents him from discerning any fine details, but Caerus is certain he saw it move much as a humanoid would.

The Halflings, seeing Caerus' call for stealth, attempt to dismount in the quietest way possible.  If they need to be quiet, then there is obviously a chance for points to be earned.  The armored Halfling deftly slides off the horse to a soft patch of earth nearby.  The spellcaster attempts to do the same, but misjudges the distance and ends up falling feet first into the murky pool with an audible SPLASH.

At the sound, the silhouette turns its head toward the noise and says (in Common), "Hello?!?  Hello!  Help!"  The voice appears to be that of a young boy.

Could it really be Josah's boy, alive after all this time? Something seems a bit suspicious here...

Nelio dismounts off the horse and tiptoes his way as best he can over to Caerus. Nelio studies the murky pool and tries to judge the distance to the figure. [Can you please describe the pool and how far away the humanoid figure/arrow is from our position?] He leans over and whispers to Caerus, "Something doesn't seem right. Think you can shoot an arrow over there close by the figure? We can have the halfling sorcerer enchant one of your arrows with light to help illuminate the area better."

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:00:43 PM by crazy_sherm »