Author Topic: Mission Statement [WarCraft d20] - What am I trying to achieve?  (Read 1529 times)

Offline RedWarlock

• Honorary Mod
  • Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
As I read the 5e threads here and on GitP, I realize that my system rewrite needs to establish some guidelines so you guys can understand the what and why of the changes I make. The problems I'm trying to fix, the goals I'm looking to achieve, etc. (IE, what the DDN team has NOT clearly established in their discussions, for the sake of buzzwords like 'bounded accuracy' that can mean different things without a clear definition.)

First off, I'm taking this from an assumed 3.5/d20 baseline, though external material I don't directly mention will not exist.

Here's my list of 'I want's:
  • I want organic character growth that doesn't require scratch-rewrites of an entire character's build to mechanically justify a new page being turned in that character's life.
  • I want a system that plays well together in mixed-level parties. High level characters are clearly more powerful, but low-level characters can contribute without relying on cheap 'i win' buttons.
  • I want magic to be interesting and powerful, but that doesn't invalidate non-magical modes of play. It should be one option of many, but non-magical characters should be able to contribute just as well, and in specialized cases, be better.
  • I want simple encounter building that encourages a mixed group of enemies that are easy to run.
  • I want varied mechanics for the various systems of magic, so that power X is NOT the same bloody thing whether arcane, divine, or what have you. This does not mean I want a million unique effects, nor that every class HAS to have a unique selection of powers.
  • I want more unique modes of play to be available, and the effort rewarded when you've specialized for them, but not in a way that trivializes another character. (this means you can have a horde of necromantic minions, but they're not a good replacement for a frontline fighter, nor are they expendable enough to invalidate a trapsmith rogue.)
  • I want varied player races, that play differently enough to make two straight characters of the same class, but different races, each feel distinct, even at high levels.
  • I want magic items that are useful, but not required. A high-level character should be able to operate entirely without the aid of magical gear. The addition of magical gear should be a self-governing balance, so that the benefit of its use should be countered by other drawbacks which make such gear a choice rather than a requirement.

This is a baseline, I'll need to come back and expand on these points at a later time. Please, ask, critique, analyse, suggest, let me know what you think.
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!